Was Punishment to Hard on Devin Mccain

BADSANTA

I would encourage the "adults" of Silsbee to try and ensure the whole point of the punishment is not missed.  Devon is young and has 2 more years of high school ball.  He is a good kid and is loved by many.  Human nature, and especially for kids, is that when you get put on a pedestal for so long, you begin to think you can do what you want. 

This thing has gone viral thanks to a guy from Orange who thought it a good idea to post the video clip all over social media.  Now I've seen it on Bleacher Report, etc.  Regardless, I believe this will be largely forgotten by the public in general 2 years from now when he graduates.  Assuming he learns and behaves the way he knows how to on the court.  When you are as supremely talented as he is, you don't need to do a dang thing but play to shine.  He has that advantage over 99 percent of the kids he will play at the high school level. 

Conversely, if this opportunity is taken to make him a martyr, the great benefit he can actually RECEIVE from this whole ordeal will be robbed from him.  He won't be as likely to learn anything from this and will be prone to think he is being mistreated.  That would be a HUGE disservice to Devon in my opinion.  Because if he doesn't take this experience and grow from it, and makes any similar mistakes in the future, he could be branded beyond repair and just about as bright a future as you will see around here in basketball will be wasted.  

So I beg the adults around him to help him understand what is to be GAINED from this and keep the focus where it should be.  He's a smart kid with a huge heart who has always been very coachable.  That inherently means he's also teachable.  Anyone with a dialogue with him should make sure that's exactly what happens with this.  

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Right. Because that's what you do when your team screws up. Throw a party?

Nobody from BC was protesting or publicly defending our kids' action. And I might add that the act of posting an offensive meme is a far cry from the brutal assault we all watched #3 commit on his unsuspecting victim. 

The fact that the team is tweeting #nodevonnotigers and the community is rallying to support the team and their thuggish behaviors two days after a game was ended early after a brawl involving the whole team indicates to me that the problem at Silsbee at is not just "a kid making a bad decision," but rather another example of this particular community condoning terrible, and sometimes criminal behavior from its student ath-o-letes.  

This says all I need to know about you!

20 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I would encourage the "adults" of Silsbee to try and ensure the whole point of the punishment is not missed.  Devon is young and has 2 more years of high school ball.  He is a good kid and is loved by many.  Human nature, and especially for kids, is that when you get put on a pedestal for so long, you begin to think you can do what you want. 

This thing has gone viral thanks to a guy from Orange who thought it a good idea to post the video clip all over social media.  Now I've seen it on Bleacher Report, etc.  Regardless, I believe this will be largely forgotten by the public in general 2 years from now when he graduates.  Assuming he learns and behaves the way he knows how to on the court.  When you are as supremely talented as he is, you don't need to do a dang thing but play to shine.  He has that advantage over 99 percent of the kids he will play at the high school level. 

Conversely, if this opportunity is taken to make him a martyr, the great benefit he can actually RECEIVE from this whole ordeal will be robbed from him.  He won't be as likely to learn anything from this and will be prone to think he is being mistreated.  That would be a HUGE disservice to Devon in my opinion.  Because if he doesn't take this experience and grow from it, and makes any similar mistakes in the future, he could be branded beyond repair and just about as bright a future as you will see around here in basketball will be wasted.  

So I beg the adults around him to help him understand what is to be GAINED from this and keep the focus where it should be.  He's a smart kid with a huge heart who has always been very coachable.  That inherently means he's also teachable.  Anyone with a dialogue with him should make sure that's exactly what happens with this.  

Very well stated.  Whether you as an individual believe this punishment is too harsh or not.  We owe it to Devon to help him through this but not so that it makes him forget that his decision was was wrong and there had to be some consequences.

This is young man has a bright future that we will all be able to be proud of as long as we don't lead him down the wrong path.  

30 minutes ago, ST413 said:

This pep rally has been cancelled.

Good.  I got curious about the #NoDevonNoTigers, so I went on twitter, and there appeared to be a lot of people who considered the pep rally to be in support of Devon, rather than the team.  Some of the tigers have made some tweets that certainly make it appear that  they have not learned a lesson from Devon's punishment.  I hope Devon himself has, and that the tigers coaching staff gets through to the rest of the players so that they don't end up in a similar situation later.