Was Punishment to Hard on Devin Mccain

BADSANTA

4 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Drop by any Silsbee player's Twitter and see what the rally is for. 

Its all about support for the kid that is rightfully suspended for the year. 

Or, go back to last week when BC fans were complaining about the same kid  cheap-shotting our kids (verified by AAW), and the same Silsbee fans were on the boards defending this kid's thuggish behavior... 

Maybe if some of the fans, coaches, or parents had stepped up and addressed this young man's behavior, he'd still be available for the playoffs. 

#nodevonnotigers  

pep rally to support the kid at the high school today at 5:30. 

There is the root of the issue

9 minutes ago, Trojan 87 said:

A public assault deserves a public apology in my opinion - but at a minimum it should be done in private. I see a lot of folks on here concerned about Devon. The kid from LCM not so much.

I agree and I believe a public apology was in fact made.  Just saying I think a private one would be especially called for out of respect to the young man and his family.  

40 minutes ago, Who That said:

I have heard now the UIL is saying Devons punishment is to harsh.! Should be out a few games but not the rest of the year. 

What you are hearing is completely false. UIL has no say in these punishments. If the punishment is to be changed, the school district or DEC will make those changes. Not UIL.

That's good to hear. Everyone seems to be concerned about Devon and Silsbee going back to state. Not seeing much interest directed to the kid at LCM. I've watched a lot of high school sports over the last 30 years and I can't think of anything dirtier than what happened Tuesday night. To put it into perspective, Kermit Washington once did that in the NBA and destroyed Rudy Tomajanovich's face and career. His punishment was 60 days and $10,000. That's the only other incident that I can think of to compare this to.

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

What you are hearing is completely false. UIL has no say in these punishments. If the punishment is to be changed, the school district or DEC will make those changes. Not UIL.

I'm just saying what I heard from folks on the phone with Mr. B" office he is saying the UIL is on his back about the punishment. 

As a community you don't throw the kids in the trash can because of what took place now it was totally wrong but as parents fans and community where does putting the pieces back together start some body has to put their arms around these guys and try to help them in these guys hearts they know they were wrong but they have to move forward if any of your kids did that you would punish probably severely but you have to try to help rebuild your son or daughter and make sure they learn their lesson same thing here Devon is a great kid that made a very poor decision so if this is what it takes to help rebuild these kids then let it be a pep rally I don't think any parent is there telling these kids to do wrong it's a chance for people that do care to talk to these young men and help them some one has to help them it starts at home we as grown ups should know that social media is trouble and is often used to start trouble if any of you guys on this message board see these young men please try to give them an encouraging word don't tear them down remember we all can play an important role in someone's life let's get passed this and help these young men south east texas they are trying to accomplish a goal. They will learn their lesson along the way.

5 minutes ago, Who That said:

I'm just saying what I heard from folks on the phone with Mr. B" office he is saying the UIL is on his back about the punishment. 

Does the UIL know about the other incidents that took place?  Maybe this is why  the administration came down with a stiff punishment.

13 minutes ago, MBaller#1 said:

As a community you don't throw the kids in the trash can because of what took place now it was totally wrong but as parents fans and community where does putting the pieces back together start some body has to put their arms around these guys and try to help them in these guys hearts they know they were wrong but they have to move forward if any of your kids did that you would punish probably severely but you have to try to help rebuild your son or daughter and make sure they learn their lesson same thing here Devon is a great kid that made a very poor decision so if this is what it takes to help rebuild these kids then let it be a pep rally I don't think any parent is there telling these kids to do wrong it's a chance for people that do care to talk to these young men and help them some one has to help them it starts at home we as grown ups should know that social media is trouble and is often used to start trouble if any of you guys on this message board see these young men please try to give them an encouraging word don't tear them down remember we all can play an important role in someone's life let's get passed this and help these young men south east texas they are trying to accomplish a goal. They will learn their lesson along the way.

These are good words.  Need to get the punishment figured out and in place but then start the process of encouraging and teaching these kids (that goes for all involved-- Silsbee and LCM both). 

6 minutes ago, Who That said:

Was he the super during the football/house party/cheerleader fiasco a few years back?

Silsbee has a real opportunity to change the way they are perceived by folks outside of Silsbee. Coach Smith made major strides with the football team this year in curbing a lot of the BS that others think of when they think of Tiger football. I personally feel that Silsbee has been their own worst enemy when it comes to their lack of SCs when compared to the number of athletes they've had come through there over the years.  

I'd like to see this kid serve out his punishment, play his way back onto the team next year, and do nothing like this ever again. This could be the last time we hear about Silsbee being involved in a basketball, football, or track meet brawl. 

Or the super could cave to community pressure, reduce the punishment, and we'll all continue this conversation after the next time the Tigers make the evening news for doing something other towns wouldn't tolerate from their high school athletes. 

20 minutes ago, Who That said:

The UIL isn't gonna interfere with the punishment. I very highly doubt that someone from the UIL said that.

Really!!?? We are talking about a kids life (future) not his livelihood. The school has made a decision rather we like it or not it is what it is. The thing to do now is to help him not make decisions like this OFF the court. Devon is a very smart kid and basketball is his free education ride in my eye's. He will bounce back and I pray a better young man than he's obviously shown lately. He has accepted his punishment and is moving forward to become a better person how about trying to forgive him and help him along the way.

24 minutes ago, MBaller#1 said:

Bringing the team together needs to be handled by the coaches and players, in their own private way. The parents of the players need to support them in the privacy of their home. The fans and community, need to show up Friday night cheering and supporting. A pep-rally is not the best way to show support, in this situation.