Was Punishment to Hard on Devin Mccain

BADSANTA

The question is is the punishment too severe.  I have had mixed feelings on this and posted on the silsbee/WOS thread what I thought was a good suggestion. It was a suggestion from WOS99 in response to a similar act by the Celina QB. 

"I am all for giving the kid options. A harsher punishment - an extended suspension or even removal from the team - or a less severe (but still tough) penalty in exchange for a public show of contrition - maybe an open letter or statement of apology and some form of community service. A show of humility. Let him choose."

on the second part I don't feel just an apology and community service but some lesser suspension would be a part as well.

This young man has already made an apology and accepted his mistake.  I have seen enough of people knocking him down.  His responded in the wrong way but none of us have heard or know exactly what caused him to make a bad decision.  I am not even going to guess.  I have known him for a few years now and he is not the villain some are making him out to be.  He will learn from this and be a better person for it.  

Now in saying that I also have to say I have seen some comments that seem to be wanting to look at this like it didn't happen or was a minor incident.  That cAnt  be the case either.  As much as I feel for Devon he handled the situation in the wrong way and has to pay the price for that decision.

i for one will be ther for any support he needs and will be behind my Tigers all the way to SA.Lets quit trying to add to the situation and be part of the "recovery".

57 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

The question is about the punishment being to harsh.  Being at the game is not relevant to that question.  The video says a whole lot.

So you're saying in that 9 seconds of the video that's only shows him hitting the kid is enough. So what happened in that first and second quarter to lead up to him hitting the kid? Is that not legit question to ask?

5 minutes ago, freeze 1914 said:

So you're saying in that 9 seconds of the video that's only shows him hitting the kid is enough. So what happened in that first and second quarter to lead up to him hitting the kid? Is that not legit question to ask?

What are you suggesting might have happened earlier in the game that would justify the sucker punch?  There's been no talk that I've seen that even remotely suggests that the kid deserved it.  Is that the question you're asking?

2 minutes ago, freeze 1914 said:

It does not justify a total cheap shot.  I know LCM started the fight, but what he did is uncalled for.  Keep trying to spin it until you make it the fault of the LCM player that was sucker punched.  Again, according to what I have seen on other threads, this was not the first time he took a cheap shot at an opponent.

3 minutes ago, BigHoops said:

What are you suggesting might have happened earlier in the game that would justify the sucker punch?  There's been no talk that I've seen that even remotely suggests that the kid deserved it.  Is that the question you're asking?

I'm asking, was it something that led up to what we saw in that 9 seconds? I'm not saying he was right for what he did, but was the game being played dirty, was it situation in the game between him and that kid? I'm just asking questions

9 minutes ago, wosfan1992 said:

According to twitter , they're having a pep rally for him. That lost me, how can you have a pep rally for someone who was in the wrong? I just don't agree with that one bit 

From what I am seeing on Facebook, this is a pep rally not to defend the behavior, but to show support for the TEAM and help them move forward.

2 minutes ago, Who That said:

Sounds to me by all your post you are scared to death of Devon being on the court  huh ???

Every team in district besides the Tigers have a better chance of winning the Lottery than going to State in basketball.

I don't see how wosfan1992 would even care about Devon when they cant even hang with the rest of the squad.

Remove Devon's score from last game & the Stangs still lose by 23 points.

8 minutes ago, freeze 1914 said:

Trash talk, pushing, shoving...that happens in the course of a game all the time. There is nothing you can say that happened in the 1st or 2nd that warrants him attacking that player the way he did.