Scott Rich named as new Nederland HC/AD

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

You are some-what correct and some-what not.  Owens was RT's DC.  I can say with 100% certitude that RT called the plays both at Vidor and at TJ when Derouen was there.  Neumann was HC at Nederland when Owens left in '95.  Doesn't mean he didn't apply.  Not sure.  Larry Walker got the TJ job when Owens left.  Then Marler got it.  It is my understanding that Owens gave Neumann his first high school job.  I do know he was the secondary coach.  I believe, for the first 7 years, Jay Law was TJ's DC.  Law left for Vidor in 1989.  I also know that Neumann was in the Houston area for 1 or 2 years before he got Ned's HC job.  So, that would leave 2 or three years at TJ after Law left.  Was he the DC during that time?  No sure.  But, again, for historical accuracy, I'll try and find out.  

Yes, DeRouen had the title....RT called plays....And I Think it was Celaya who was after the job at TJ, not Neuman. 

10 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Any thoughts on how soon he’ll select DC and OC? 

Most coaches on this situation already have in mind who they want as OC and DC.  I’m sure he already has commitments.  Question is when will they be known!

I like what he said in the interview about he is approaching this as the last job of his life.  Hoping he makes that very important connection with kids in all sports.  I know Nederland will back him. 

Defensive coordinator will be crucial decision.  

I kinda hope he changes to a pro set offense.  Huddle. Tight end.  Etc.  It may work well.  

The key is for him to get a very good OC and especially DC. They need quality coaches at all positions, especially the OL and secondary 

I sure hope he can do it. I am not really a spring training guy due to other sports going on at the same time and the loss of a scrimmage, however he has got to find out and evaluate the talent he has even though a few players in other sports will miss out

20 hours ago, spidersal said:

The key is for him to get a very good OC and especially DC. They need quality coaches at all positions, especially the OL and secondary 

I sure hope he can do it. I am not really a spring training guy due to other sports going on at the same time and the loss of a scrimmage, however he has got to find out and evaluate the talent he has even though a few players in other sports will miss out

ST is a must this year....He has a whole new system to implement as well as evaluate personnel. As the AD  its on him to make sure ALL that play football participate, as much as possible. Football puts buttss in the seats and fills the coffers. 

33 minutes ago, spidersal said:

The Oline coach isn’t bad, you have to look at what he’s trying to make do with, most of the kids that have quit are huge but didn’t want to play for a coach that is “mean and tough”. A decade ago the shortest starting offensive linemen would be 6’1, today that would be the tallest starting lineman. He can only do so much when he couldn’t control what plays were being ran as well. I personally think he deserves to stay. Let kids come back to the program that have size and let’s see what happens. Not to mention this 8th grade group is close in size to the starting line for this past varsity team.

13 minutes ago, outanup said:

ST is a must this year....He has a whole new system to implement as well as evaluate personnel. As the AD  its on him to make sure ALL that play football participate, as much as possible. Football puts A$$3s in the seats and fills the coffers. 

Agreed 100%. He needs to plant his flag as soon as possible to send out the message that things are full-circle different now. Best way to do that is actually play football. There needs to be a Nederland spring game. 

3 hours ago, KF89 said:

I agree. The Pro Set offense, Huddle, TE, FB, power I, play action, roll out passing game has worked quite well For Katy the last 30 years.

Works for Katy because they have huge linemen. Power only works if you have Power and if you don’t adjust to your physical strengths you will fail. Neuman was great at adjusting to his talent each year. 
Nederland will not succeed right now with a power I. 
they need to get #1 the ball in space. He Good. 

12 minutes ago, badndn said:

Works for Katy because they have huge linemen. Power only works if you have Power and if you don’t adjust to your physical strengths you will fail. Neuman was great at adjusting to his talent each year. 
Nederland will not succeed right now with a power I. 
they need to get #1 the ball in space. He Good. 

Facts!

I do not know why you would want any coach that currently coaches the secondary and OL to return. Those key positions at Nederland have been absolutely horrible the past 2 years.  The secondary even longer than that.  In fact the receivers, LB’ers, and QB’s haven’t been good either. The DL coaches did a fair job and they had 1 good RB, other than that, the Bulldogs didn’t have much

That is why spring ball will help him evaluate talent and begin to get his program established and hopefully some players that quit and walking the halls will come back

4 minutes ago, spidersal said:

I do not know why you would want any coach that currently coaches the secondary and OL to return. Those key positions at Nederland have been absolutely horrible the past 2 years.  The secondary even longer than that.  In fact the receivers, LB’ers, and QB’s haven’t been good either. The DL coaches did a fair job and they had 1 good RB, other than that, the Bulldogs didn’t have much

That is why spring ball will help him evaluate talent and begin to get his program established and hopefully some players that quit and walking the halls will come back

Do you know how big the lineman were from the last 2 seasons???? They simply cannot matchup with their opponent on size.

9 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Exactly, let some of those kids come back and you’ll see change with the line

You can’t coach size man!

1 hour ago, spidersal said:

Does not matter who they have for coaches, they did not schedule 6A schools from Katy, Cypress and Pearland in their pre-district. Still seems odd that a similar pre-district schedule did not hinder PNG this year?

Word on the street is that the halls and facilities are some sort of bizarro world with the current staff. The usual suspects are all of a sudden “interested” in the kids. Asking about and congratulating kids on other sports, having them run in track events and being concerned. Let’s see if these few days can change the perception of their actions during the last several years…allegedly 

There are good coaches on the staff and also a handful that just need a change of environment