Nederland is open, Barrow Resigns

8 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Matt's tweet was from my report. That was what I understood that Barrow would be doing, retiring.

Things could have changed or misinformed.

I think his original options were:  To retire or be reassigned within the district.  So, retiring sounds right.

2 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Now, the question becomes, what process will NISD follow to select the new coach? Will they follow PNG’s and try to get a handpicked young guy with pedigree? Will they simply open it up statewide see who shows up? Or will they go in-house again? 

Bet Todd Dodge gets a phone call.

22 minutes ago, outanup said:

Say what you want about  Monte, he was and is a class act. On and off the football field. Wishing him nothing but the best in whatever his plans are and sincere gratitude for his efforts.

He has over 30 years in, he is probably retiring.

OFFICIAL NISD STATEMENT

Nederland ISD Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Monte Barrow has announced his RESIGNATION from Nederland ISD.  NISD would like to thank Coach Barrow for his many years of service to the district and wishes him success in his future endeavors.

In addition NISD would like to thank Coach Barrow for his commitment to all NISD Athletics. 

Current Defensive Coordinator Chris Theriot will serve as interim Athletic Director and Head Football Coach.

Nederland ISD will immediately begin a statewide search for the next Athletic Director and Head Football Coach.

11 minutes ago, outanup said:

Monte didn't wake up this morning and say. Today's a good day to retire. This has been in the works for a few, no telling WHO has gotten a phone call.

It was probably an either/or conversation.   I figured he would retire with the amount of time he had in the district.  He's in his mid to late fifties I guess, so he might move on somewhere else.

State wide search has begun for new AD\Head Football Coach. All coaching positions will be open for the new AD to fill. if you are a certified teacher in anything but PE you probably have a teaching job if not picked to coach by the new AD.

Nederland current staff has like 7 football coaches that do PE only.

7 minutes ago, glassjoe said:

The OC was a below average hire. Theriot won’t be back. I bet OF or over to BC as DC..where his kids go. 
maybe the new AD will get quality Strength/conditioning program  👀

Facts

1 hour ago, outanup said:

Say what you want about  Monte, he was and is a class act. On and off the football field. Wishing him nothing but the best in whatever his plans are and sincere gratitude for his efforts.

I don't think many would say that he wasn't.  It was purely a coaching situation!  

7 minutes ago, KF89 said:

State wide search has begun for new AD\Head Football Coach. All coaching positions will be open for the new AD to fill. if you are a certified teacher in anything but PE you probably have a teaching job if not picked to coach by the new AD.

Nederland current staff has like 7 football coaches that do PE only.

Great news! A head coach should be allowed to bring in his own staff. 

12 minutes ago, glassjoe said:

The OC was a below average hire. Theriot won’t be back. I bet OF or over to BC as DC..where his kids go. 
maybe the new AD will get quality Strength/conditioning program  👀

New coach at least needs to bring in new OC and new DC.  But also needs to find the best O-line coach possible and bring him in.  

• KF89 changed the title to Nederland is open, Barrow Resigns