Crosby Superintendent

3 hours ago, OlDawg said:

Academics are great. But, voters don’t jump up & down & cheer for Johnny & Janet’s 4.5 gpa. It just doesn’t garner the same type of pride—even though it’s fantastic.

You’re right. And that’s a shame. I do agree you have to have a shared focus on academics and extracurriculars for district success. Sadly, the latter is usually the main focus. 

7 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

You’re right. And that’s a shame. I do agree you have to have a shared focus on academics and extracurriculars for district success. Sadly, the latter is usually the main focus. 

Not a shame. Not good or bad. Just human behavior.

Parental involvement is key to a successful school district. Parents who have kids in extracurricular activities are generally more involved. Extracurricular activities generally involve groups. This involves more people who are excited about their kids’ activities—and are more involved. This involvement and excitement is spread to those who don’t even have children in school. It infects the whole town. It encourages new residents and businesses to ‘come to town’ which—in turn—helps the ISD garner support from all for necessary improvements. (Both physical facilities, educational tools, & staff needs.)

Academics are more of a personal, individual activity. Exception being Academic Decathlon, Debate Teams, and those type extracurriculars. They can bring excitement also. Albeit, typically smaller crowds.

1 hour ago, OlDawg said:

Not a shame. Not good or bad. Just human behavior.

Parental involvement is key to a successful school district. Parents who have kids in extracurricular activities are generally more involved. Extracurricular activities generally involve groups. This involves more people who are excited about their kids’ activities—and are more involved. This involvement and excitement is spread to those who don’t even have children in school. It infects the whole town. It encourages new residents and businesses to ‘come to town’ which—in turn—helps the ISD garner support from all for necessary improvements. (Both physical facilities, educational tools, & staff needs.)

Academics are more of a personal, individual activity. Exception being Academic Decathlon, Debate Teams, and those type extracurriculars. They can bring excitement also. Albeit, typically smaller crowds.

Whatever you say. I already said, "...you have to have a shared focus on academics and extracurriculars for district success."

Newsflash: Calling it human behavior does not relieve it from being shameful. It is what it is though. 

On 10/5/2023 at 1:42 PM, FNG said:

Clearly thats the job of the AD and HC. However, that position in the district is arguably the biggest hire. When she does everything in her power to make him resign and then the next guy is faced with an awful situation, it is her fault. I do not blame Willis for this season's mishaps. It is his fault for not doing more research before taking the job. When interviewed by Dave Campbell's, he stated all the old Crosby BS that people on the outside seem to believe...... Crosby has so much talent, Crosby Is a one horse town with tons of community support, Crosby has always been successful, Crosby has great facilities.

These things are misguided at best and flat out lies at worst. 

Where's the talent? It dang sure is no where to be found currently.

Cosby and Barret Station are two communities that feed one High School and are completely divided and do their best to not interact with one another. The current situation is only working to make that worse.

Crosby has been successful athletically in the past, but with the mishandlings of the district financially and with the constant turn over of employees they are going to have a hard time finding willing people to hire. less than 5 years ago they layed off 100 employees at Christmas with no warning. These are local teachers and coaches. Last year her decision to run off Prieto left them to hire 26 coaches. How long before the well is dry and no one will want to work in this situation?

Coach Willis isn't dumb he's not going to get on an interview platform and talk about the negatives of a job he was just hired at...if he did that, he'd be an idiot. 

He knew what he was getting into and he knew he was walking into a very difficult situation, will he be successful? Time will tell, I cant speak for the superintendent and all the other issues but I feel like all things considered she hired a very good coach

“On the clock” is an analogy in reference to a draft when the team have to make a decision (NBA, NFL etc….). Sorry, guess it went over many heads 🤣🤣.
1. Remain status quo- this system has not proven to work and potentially continue to lose community support and lower morale even further.

2. Move on and “redo” their decision.

Accountability needs to be in order. More so now, those same decision makers are asking the community to trust them with an 85M bond. The last time the Admin had a large bond, well most know how that went…. The district is still suffering from that administration/board bad decisions. No one was truly held accountable and thus the athletic facilities are in shambles and IAW someone else’s statement the Bus barn/maintenance is having issues too.

As someone stated in this thread or another, this coach was 2-8 at his previous position. With all the layers the Supt stated was in place to hire an AD, it’s amazing how he came out as the lone finalist.

2 hours ago, Concerned Citizen said:

“On the clock” is an analogy in reference to a draft when the team have to make a decision (NBA, NFL etc….). Sorry, guess it went over many heads 🤣🤣.
1. Remain status quo- this system has not proven to work and potentially continue to lose community support and lower morale even further.

Accountability needs to be in order. More so now, those same decision makers are asking the community to trust them with an 85M bond. The last time the Admin had a large bond, well most know how that went…. The district is still suffering from that administration/board bad decisions. No one was truly held accountable and thus the athletic facilities are in shambles and IAW someone else’s statement the Bus barn/maintenance is having issues too.

As someone stated in this thread or another, this coach was 2-8 at his previous position. With all the layers the Supt stated was in place to hire an AD, it’s amazing how he came out as the lone finalist.

Let's not act like Willis hasn't been a successful head coach...we are talking about a guy who had a career record of 113-62 going into the year...he's been a head coach of a state champion and an state runner-up...he's got a strong track record...

Timing has to be considered as well...Willis was hired May 18..you start getting into May and the candidate pool is going to be quite limited...

I dont think any head coach hired could be fairly judged on what happens this year at Crosby because of the late hire, coaching staff almost 100% turned over and a team that already was a little down talent wise...The absolute worst thing Crosby can do now is make another coaching change at the end of the season IMO

3 hours ago, Concerned Citizen said:

Yeah, I know what on the clock means. What I was referring to was your inane statement that “extra or non extra curricular activities are all equally important”. 

1 hour ago, Matthew328 said:

Let's not act like Willis hasn't been a successful head coach...we are talking about a guy who had a career record of 113-62 going into the year...he's been a head coach of a state champion and an state runner-up...he's got a strong track record...

Timing has to be considered as well...Willis was hired May 18..you start getting into May and the candidate pool is going to be quite limited...

I dont think any head coach hired could be fairly judged on what happens this year at Crosby because of the late hire, coaching staff almost 100% turned over and a team that already was a little down talent wise...The absolute worst thing Crosby can do now is make another coaching change at the end of the season IMO

Point well taken on his arrival time to Crosby. However there are some glaring things the coaching staff have missed. Regardless of time in the seat, how can an entire staff miss #14 abilities and line him up in the WR slot and use him primarily as a blocker. #14 been averaging over 150 yards the past few games. All one had to do is look at his Hudl highlights and know he should be a featured RB. Knowing the history of a school and people is very very important. Hate to harp on #14, but his dad 14.2 was a dynamic RB and his grandfather was the best RB in Crosby history (by some accounts). Genetics don’t always transfer, but it’s definitely something to know. Just like #11 Windfont, his Dad Chris was a beast at DE. Same as #2, his uncle was good at RB. I can go on and on, but hey what do I know….

Also, this is the QB many loyal cougar fans was calling to replace Myles and put him at WR position. How is that working out this year? I don’t ever remember Myles throwing 3 INT in a single game.

Not sure of many jobs that’s gonna pay you 100k and give you xx amount of years to figure it out. I would expect more from a coach with that win percentage. Not to truly compare, but Coach Preito came in late too.

According to his record he is a great coach, but might not been the best hire for Crosby. Time will tell if this was the best decision. 

On 10/8/2023 at 3:53 PM, Concerned Citizen said:

Point well taken on his arrival time to Crosby. However there are some glaring things the coaching staff have missed. Regardless of time in the seat, how can an entire staff miss #14 abilities and line him up in the WR slot and use him primarily as a blocker. #14 been averaging over 150 yards the past few games. All one had to do is look at his Hudl highlights and know he should be a featured RB. Knowing the history of a school and people is very very important. Hate to harp on #14, but his dad 14.2 was a dynamic RB and his grandfather was the best RB in Crosby history (by some accounts). Genetics don’t always transfer, but it’s definitely something to know. Just like #11 Windfont, his Dad Chris was a beast at DE. Same as #2, his uncle was good at RB. I can go on and on, but hey what do I know….

Also, this is the QB many loyal cougar fans was calling to replace Myles and put him at WR position. How is that working out this year? I don’t ever remember Myles throwing 3 INT in a single game.

Not sure of many jobs that’s gonna pay you 100k and give you xx amount of years to figure it out. I would expect more from a coach with that win percentage. Not to truly compare, but Coach Preito came in late too.

According to his record he is a great coach, but might not been the best hire for Crosby. Time will tell if this was the best decision. 

Crosby will certainly need to make marked improvement in 2024 or I think the calls for a change will be significant 

On 10/5/2023 at 9:51 AM, show me the money said:

Two people who might be kinfolk or personal friends doesn’t mean everyone. I believe she gets the bond passed and moves on to much more political life in education. Does she destroy morale and community involvement on her way out? Just my opinion through interactions with staff and others. Time will tell. 

Make that 3 people and I not kin.