Podcast?

PBP.Aa.ron

Hey folks. Just wanting to gauge interest in possibly starting up a HS football podcast for our area. I already listen to a few podcasts from LSG like 59N and Grant/Terry’s two shows. They cover our area somewhat, but it’s usually a part of a bigger area or the entire state. 

Bare minimum, the proposed podcast would run maybe 20-30 minutes and cover SETX teams week to week. Final scores, standings, and other bits of information along the way.

If we’re really getting after it, there’d be some extra stats, short interviews with coaches and some of the broadcasters in the SETX Sports group, and some highlights around the state. We could even expand into some of the other sports as the year goes on.

Again, just trying to gauge interest. Personally, I think it’d be good for not only our  contingent on here in the forums, but folks in the area that want to keep up with our local teams.

Feedback appreciated!

22 hours ago, PBP.Aa.ron said:

Hey folks. Just wanting to gauge interest in possibly starting up a HS football podcast for our area. I already listen to a few podcasts from LSG like 59N and Grant/Terry’s two shows. They cover our area somewhat, but it’s usually a part of a bigger area or the entire state. 

Bare minimum, the proposed podcast would run maybe 20-30 minutes and cover SETX teams week to week. Final scores, standings, and other bits of information along the way.

If we’re really getting after it, there’d be some extra stats, short interviews with coaches and some of the broadcasters in the SETX Sports group, and some highlights around the state. We could even expand into some of the other sports as the year goes on.

Again, just trying to gauge interest. Personally, I think it’d be good for not only our  contingent on here in the forums, but folks in the area that want to keep up with our local teams.

Feedback appreciated!

If you have coach interviews, especially early in the year, can you ask them their criteria for picking non-district opponents? I'd be interesting to hear how each one goes about picking opponents. 

6 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

If you have coach interviews, especially early in the year, can you ask them their criteria for picking non-district opponents? I'd be interesting to hear how each one goes about picking opponents. 

This! I always wonder what goes through the thought process… 

22 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

This! I always wonder what goes through the thought process… 

I think it varies by Coach, I've asked ten coaches this question and I get ten different answers....a lot just depends on where your program is at that time...for example teams like North Shore and Duncanville will play just about anyone willing to play them

If you are in a nine or ten team district and you move into district play quick you may want to try and get specific looks or systems based on those early non-district games that are crucial

If your program is down in the dumps you are probably just trying to find games you can be competitve in that maybe you can steal a win

If you are middle of the road to good you probably try and split your schedule...one really tough game, one game where you feel good about a win and one game thats maybe a coin flip...

If you are in a four or five team district that 5th and 6th non-district games are pretty much just seeing who else is in a small district and pairing up...thats how Brownsville Hanna and Amarillo Tascosa played a few years ago lol 

3 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

I think it varies by Coach, I've asked ten coaches this question and I get ten different answers....a lot just depends on where your program is at that time...for example teams like North Shore and Duncanville will play just about anyone willing to play them

If you are in a nine or ten team district and you move into district play quick you may want to try and get specific looks or systems based on those early non-district games that are crucial

If your program is down in the dumps you are probably just trying to find games you can be competitve in that maybe you can steal a win

If you are middle of the road to good you probably try and split your schedule...one really tough game, one game where you feel good about a win and one game thats maybe a coin flip...

If you are in a four or five team district that 5th and 6th non-district games are pretty much just seeing who else is in a small district and pairing up...thats how Brownsville Hanna and Amarillo Tascosa played a few years ago lol 

Excellent answer. Also playing teams that run specific offense. One that you wouldn't see in district play but would need to be familiar with during the playoffs. And rivalry games of course. 

7 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Excellent answer. Also playing teams that run specific offense. One that you wouldn't see in district play but would need to be familiar with during the playoffs. And rivalry games of course. 

yes there's so much that goes into it....its always a good question though because of the variance you'll rarely get the same answer twice

4 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

Very great answers. Thank you. I know one that wasn’t mentioned above is travel… in example lot of Nederland’s district foes are Houston area teams so they play very top notch team very close to home. I got that from a coaches mouth. PAM, WOS and Silsbee… WOS and Silsbee are kinda in the lines of they will play anyone that is willing to step up. Plus seems like the better part of the last 15 years Nederland has played WOS and Silsbee. PAM gets them ready for FBM and beyond. 

It would just be interesting to hear from those coaches and pick their brains. See how long in advance coaches set up games and hear stories about games that almost got put together but didn't. Aledo for example had an agreement with South Oak Cliff but our district had 9 teams so we dropped that game. This season it would've been defending 5AD1 vs 5AD2 champs. That would have been a top game around the state. 

59 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

It would just be interesting to hear from those coaches and pick their brains. See how long in advance coaches set up games and hear stories about games that almost got put together but didn't. Aledo for example had an agreement with South Oak Cliff but our district had 9 teams so we dropped that game. This season it would've been defending 5AD1 vs 5AD2 champs. That would have been a top game around the state. 

They set up games as soon as the previous schedule is set. Usually have a few locks and then a few "ifs" depending on how the district alignments go. Sometimes the matchup you have planned for pre-district can become a district game. 

On 4/7/2023 at 10:19 AM, PBP.Aa.ron said:

Feedback appreciated!

Get with me and I would love to assist, I alredy do my podcast as well as a pregame show. I have what it takes to put togetheras well as in the process now of building my own website to host them