Houston ISD basketball SMH

If I am a high school basketball coach in this area, I would not waste my time scheduling any Houston ISD school. They are as unprofessional as they come. Two games were canceled this week, one without any notice. Houston Yates was scheduled to play  at Little Cypress-Mauriceville today but called and canceled the game on Monday. Then, without notice, Houston Furr no showed for their game last night at West Orange-Stark. This is not the first time (nor will it be the last) that a Houston ISD school pulled this unprofessional move.

In regards to the Yates/LC-M game, LC-M had already played at Yates the last two seasons. All Coach Jeffcoat was wanting was a return game. When I saw the game on the schedule and the date that it was to be played (last day to play before Christmas break) first thing I thought was Yates backing out of the game. When I got the phone call from Coach Jeffcoat Monday, I was not surprised. There was some excuse given but IMO, the reason for Yates canceling was more about not being able to afford losing to a team like LC-M, which they would have.

Furr not even showing and not calling WO-S to cancel the game is as unprofessional as it gets. Decisions like this is why HISD is looked down upon by others in the state. This all comes from the top (HISD admins). Schools like LC-M and WO-S simply don't matter to them and could careless about any ramifications.

As far as I am concerned, I hope no area school ever schedules a Houston ISD school. Simply not worth the potential aggravation of losing a scheduled game.

Shame on Yates.  Knew the Bears were about the hand them their behinds so they no show after LCM traveled to play them twice??  And where are the few JY sympathizers who love to roam this board when the Lions are in peak form?  No showing seems to be a pattern over there.  That’s a bad trait to carry through life by the way…. What a horrible message to send to kids. 

3 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Shame on Yates.  Knew the Bears were about the hand them their behinds so they no show after LCM traveled to play them twice??  And where are the few JY sympathizers who love to roam this board when the Lions are in peak form.  No showing seems to be a pattern over there.  That’s a bad trait to carry through life by the way…. What a horrible message to send to kids. 

I haven't seen any of em since Silsbee beat em couple seasons ago 🤷🏾‍♂️

HISD has problems, administrative problems, for years. I don't have the knowledge or expertise to say what exactly the root of the problem is.  Alas there was a stereotype of some coaches that was around  back when I spent a year and a half in HISD schools. It was the legend of the roll out the ball coach.  Not at all schools, not all coaches, but some.  This type coach was assigned to an inner city school, that had low morale, and unmotivated students & teachers.  The roll out the ball coach would split his players into two teams and then roll out the ball and let them run, back and forth.  Street ball style.  Meanwhile the coach is marking days off on his calendar until he could retire. 

I think saw such a team once.  Silsbee was playing in a tournament at the now shut down Smiley High School. Yates was in that tournament.This was the Silsbee team with Thad Holden, Arline, Herb Sapp Jr, etc.

That JY team was loaded with talent.  They ran, threw down some attention grabbing dunks then run out of gas and lose. This was a year or two before Coach Wise took over.

The roll out the ball mentality is still around apparently, to some degree.

Silsbee played in the Smiley Tournament in 1994-97 I do know. Silsbee won the Smiley  Tournament in 1994-96. The games weren't that close for s few. In the 31-1 season we beat Houston Jones in the Championship Game by 8. My senior year we went 27-8. We lost to Smiley by like 2 in the Championship game. Silsbee played Smiley in Silsbee a few times and it was always close games until the 4th and Silsbee would open it up. 

Silsbee would always host none district games vs Worthing, Smiley, and Kasmhere. In 2000, maybe the last time Silsbee missed the playoffs, a state ranked #2 Wheatley came to Silsbee and played Eddie Fobbs and Eldon Peterson. Silsbee beat them by like 5. 

Once had a student teacher at an elementary school for physical education and his mentor (the actual teacher) was the head coach at a high school over 15 miles away.  Yes, the HEAD basketball coach of a HISD school wasn't on campus as a teacher.  Needless to say, his team was not very good, but did NOT place last in the district.  

There was a coach I knew of that was probably a roll out the ball coach. I can’t prove that. I’ve spoken to an ex NBA player who he coached. He talks glowingly of him. His son played on a highly ranked Yates team. He mostly came off the bench. He was kind of a nerd. After JY he went to Texas A&M and earned a masters in mechanical engineering. He married a 3rd ward debutante. She earned the same degree from A&M as well.  I could go on & on with that story.

HISD has some produced some positives.

On 12/25/2022 at 10:34 AM, Kountzer said:

I’m tempted to say it is a money issue. More like mis management of money.  Yates and other HISD schools go to the state and national tournaments all the time.  I guess they make up for it by cancelling on rural schools when they don’t respect.

Yates Principal was just let go smh. She was a very decent lady. Not sure what the deal was.