West Orange Stark vs PNG

lcm93

3 minutes ago, Gasilla said:

What's your point? Is shutting out opponents in a down year the goal? 

You know me and what I'm about and I know you. Better we don't go down this path.

I'm just saying it's too early to make any call. If this Mustang defense ends up giving up an average of 20 points or more this season, then the change to 4-2-5 can definitely be questioned.

I think some folks are going to realize just how good this LC-M team will be come playoff time.

2 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I'm just saying it's too early to make any call. If this Mustang defense ends up giving up an average of 20 points or more this season, then the change to 4-2-5 can definitely be questioned.

I think some folks are going to realize just how good this LC-M team will be come playoff time.

I dont disagree with you. That's why I stated in my original post that I'll reserve saying too much. I HOPE it works out. But, what I saw against LCM was what I was afraid of when I saw we were running that defense.

I agree that LCM is better than most give them credit for.

You know I bleed Blue and Silver. I hope they DO have a good grasp on the changes they've made. Time will tell.

I think we're going to learn a lot more about it this week.

I saw more that bothered me other than the scheme, hoping it was just an off night for the boys. That happens. Hopefully they are still doing the things in practice that made us fundamentally sound. Again, time will tell on that.

10 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I dont think the 50 defense would have mattered against LCM. 

2 hours ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

I mean you think a nose guard makes that much difference? I think it would opened up the pass more but the game is over. The difference was probably not adjusting on the defensive side of the ball. CT is heck of a coach.  

The 50 and the 40 are different philosophies. Yes, in highschool football, it makes a difference. CT thought so as well.

8 hours ago, Gasilla said:

The 50 and the 40 are different philosophies. Yes, in highschool football, it makes a difference. CT thought so as well.

Correct. And if you have a monster at that nose guard position, it allows those speedy athletic linebackers to wreck shop.

I love the 50 defense. Always have and always will.

14 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I remember that one. Most likely that was Kendall Cleveland at RB. BTW,  he's RB coach at Zachary HS in Louisiana. #1 team in all divisions after winning their 4th straight state championship.

I remember it  was at the old Reservation with the grass field. I THOUGHT WOS won because they recovered the fumble in the end zone. To a laymen like myself I didn't understand the rule that if a players fumbles the ball Inside the 5 and it travels into the end zone the same player has to recover the fumble. If another player recovered the fumble then it's a touch back for the other team. I remember you could hear a pin drop for 5 minutes while the refs discussed the play. I couldn't understand why they were even discussing it and why Matt Burnett was so animated down near the end zone by the refs. I though WOS won. I also remember we could barely move the ball on the Stangs and we were able to score thanks to a few timely runs by Jay Musser from the QB position.  Which was not something that was normal for that offense that season. 

11 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Great point.but,w.o want give up 20 points a game.LCM did a great job of play calling against us.w.o coaches has to do a better job of getting these kids lined up properly.bcz a couple of times like in the Nederland game the kids got caught looking to the sideline for a call while the play started.they just need to man up across the board.what makes this team great is the CB s.teams will struggle throwing at them.as the season goes on they will only get better.

11 hours ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

I dont think the 50 defense would have mattered against LCM. 

Yes it would have if u knew how w.o ran it.its designed to put pressure off the edge with speed.more pressure on the QB.to read and react.but, LCM play calling was great the whole game.and tackling and penalties w.o has to get better at.u can't have abt 100yds in penalties and expect to beat gud teams.they got lucky to get away with them against LCM.

Yes it seems that we had poor coverage on right side of our defense, that needs adjustment. So true that the running back at LCM is top notch, one we may not see one like him again for awhile. Overall, I'm impressed with how the Mustangs kept their composure when they were behind 20-8 and rallied back to win.

1 hour ago, dj said:

Yes it would have if u knew how w.o ran it.its designed to put pressure off the edge with speed.more pressure on the QB.to read and react.but, LCM play calling was great the whole game.and tackling and penalties w.o has to get better at.u can't have abt 100yds in penalties and expect to beat gud teams.they got lucky to get away with them against LCM.

Yall held Morris to 95 rushing this year. Last year he ran around 170 yards against the 50 defense. We will see what it does against other talented opponents. 

1 hour ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Yall held Morris to 95 rushing this year. Last year he ran around 170 yards against the 50 defense. We will see what it does against other talented opponents. 

It's not that simple. The Mustangs were up at the half by 3 scores last year. That changes your plan from stopping the run to containing it to make sure you don't give up any quick scores. Both games played out differently.

1 minute ago, Gasilla said:

It's not that simple. The Mustangs were up at the half by 3 scores last year. That changes your plan from stopping the run to containing it to make sure you don't give up any quick scores. Both games played out differently.

Thats true. I think LCM is better then last year. But good luck on the season. Hopefully both teams can make farther then last year 

We’ll see what PNG looks like this week against another team who can execute plays at the varsity level? Lots of mistakes on offense and lots of guys out of position on defense during the PAM game. It was very impressive what PNG was able to do to BU’s personnel but I think PNG needs to get through this week before you can really start to estimate a trajectory for them. BU is a 5A level HISD football team and that may be doing a disservice to Houston Madison. PNG dispatched them exactly how they should’ve if they’re going to be a good team this year. 

During the summer I said I would be interested to see if PNG offense looked more like Katy’s or SLC’s? I said one place I thought PNG had been well above average recently was the offensive line and that a Katy style offense might highlight that. Well not only does it look like Katy, they’re running the patented zone play from under center that they’ll eventually throw the play-action off of. It’s also a staple play for Carthage. I eventually expect them to start running the crack-toss and the toss counter which are the other staple plays of Katy and Paetow. 

One thing I saw in both games is that PNG still needs to get better at tackling in space and sticking with guys in the secondary. They probably have the personnel to make a real run at a district championship though. #19 for PNG is a baller but Prosperie is still PNG’s best offensive weapon. For whatever reason he kind of seems like an afterthought in PNG’s new offense. That being said, that’s a hard point to argue when you put up 49. Again though, you want to see them do it against a competent team.