Man Arrested for Murder of 16-year-old Girl in Fannett

bullets13

On 3/28/2022 at 10:12 PM, bullets13 said:

This happened less than a quarter mile from my house.  Interested to hear the whole story.  He’s been arrested, but I’m hearing the shooter was another young woman from crystal beach. 

Yes, I’m not sure of how all this went down.  Just a reminder that we’re not immune from the insanity running rampant through the country.  When our Church attendance is falling and our morgues are full, could this be an example of “cause and effect”?  

As usual, I’m just an old man with questions, but I sure miss the days when we greeted people on the street with a smile.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Yes, I’m not sure of how all this went down.  Just a reminder that we’re not immune from the insanity running rampant through the country.  When our Church attendance is falling and our morgues are full, could this be an example of “cause and effect”?  

As usual, I’m just an old man with questions, but I sure miss the days when we greeted people on the street with a smile.

you know, I've always kinda thought it was funny when people talk about how bad things are now, and how good they used to be.  Looking back in our country's short history, and seeing all of the violence and lawlessness of the wild wild west and displacement of native americans, slavery and violence towards african americans, all the gangster stuff in the first half of the 20th century, the drug/gang wars of the 80s-2000s, I have a hard time figuring how things were that much better at any point in the past apart from certain people being able to openly discriminate/hate groups of people they didn't like.  Now don't get me wrong, there's a lot of woke nonsense that I don't like these days, but actual violent acts are no more common or senseless than they always have been, and our behavior as a society doesn't really seem much worse either.

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

you know, I've always kinda thought it was funny when people talk about how bad things are now, and how good they used to be.  Looking back in our country's short history, and seeing all of the violence and lawlessness of the wild wild west and displacement of native americans, slavery and violence towards african americans, all the gangster stuff in the first half of the 20th century, the drug/gang wars of the 80s-2000s, I have a hard time figuring how things were that much better at any point in the past apart from certain people being able to openly discriminate/hate groups of people they didn't like.  Now don't get me wrong, there's a lot of woke nonsense that I don't like these days, but actual violent acts are no more common or senseless than they always have been, and our behavior as a society doesn't really seem much worse either.

My personal experience doesn’t include slavery & the Indian wars.  I know as a child in the 50’s we could play outside in safety, day & night.  I know when my children were growing up in the 70’s & 80’s they weren’t allowed the same freedom I had, and imo it’s worse now.  

Prior to the 20th Century in our country, yes there was more violence and mayhem than we can imagine.  And in the 20th Century globally, prior to the 50’s, we saw more inhumanity to man than most of prior history combined.  Still during the 50’s we had a relatively peaceful decade.  I was lucky enough to grow up in that period.

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

But you have to admit, the 50’s were a pretty good time for us white folk…

42 minutes ago, Hagar said:

My personal experience doesn’t include slavery & the Indian wars.  I know as a child in the 50’s we could play outside in safety, day & night.  I know when my children were growing up in the 70’s & 80’s they weren’t allowed the same freedom I had, and imo it’s worse now.  

Prior to the 20th Century in our country, yes there was more violence and mayhem than we can imagine.  And in the 20th Century globally, prior to the 50’s, we saw more inhumanity to man than most of prior history combined.  Still during the 50’s we had a relatively peaceful decade.  I was lucky enough to grow up in that period.

Pretty rough to be a person of color during those peaceful times of the 50s.  And I'm not talking about some of the made-up racism nonsense we deal with today.  But I have no doubt that for some groups the 50s were a nice time.  But that just kinda goes to the point I was making that "the good old days" generally aren't much better than the current, just different.  I had some great experiences growing up in the late 80s and early 90s, but I don't think things were necessarily better then, I just think the things that are bad now are different from what was bad back then.  

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

And that is THE answer despite what many may say.  

57 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Pretty rough to be a person of color during those peaceful times of the 50s.  And I'm not talking about some of the made-up racism nonsense we deal with today.  But I have no doubt that for some groups the 50s were a nice time.  But that just kinda goes to the point I was making that "the good old days" generally aren't much better than the current, just different.  I had some great experiences growing up in the late 80s and early 90s, but I don't think things were necessarily better then, I just think the things that are bad now are different from what was bad back then.  

I think they were better “back then”. 

52 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I suppose that any period has been bad for some race, ethnicity, country, family or person.  No total utopian period exist to my knowledge.  All most can honestly speak from is there own experience.  Perhaps it’s the anarchy that exist in the majority of our big cities that makes many, myself included, think we’re (to quote Merle Haggard) “rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell”.  

Another thing is drugs.  Another quote, this one from Cormac McCarthy in the book, ‘No Country For Old Men’, “I think if you were Satan and you we’re sitting around trying to think up something that would just bring the human race to it’s knees what you would probably come up with is narcotics”.  That is probably the Pandora’s Box that should’ve never been opened, and is impossible to close again.

3 hours ago, bullets13 said:

People can only relate to what they experience. Although in history books, no one reading this forum was there for slavery, Indian displacement and for most people, not even segregation laws in the 50’s and early 60’s. I will be 67 on my next birthday and I was 3 years old when the 60’s rolled around.

Just like I wasn’t around for slavery, almost no one reading this was around for Jim Crow laws either.

Yes times seemed better  in the “old days” or maybe “better” is more appropriately described as “simpler”.  Not locking your door, kids not coming home until after dark because their parents didn’t have to worry that they hadn’t seen you all day, some stores having blank checks at the checkout because you forgot yours and you were trusted to fill in your correct name and bank account number and so on. Some people (most?) even left their cars unlocked and many left their keys in the car.   That includes the Black community. My best friend’s first cousins lived in Riverside in Orange and I used to go there a few times in the summer to play. We played hide and seek and other games with the Black kids living there and I don’t recall them being in before dark either. I don’t think their parents were worried about them getting stopped by the police for selling drugs or them being the victim of a drive-by shooting. It was a simpler time. Was there racism? Discrimination? Sure, but there was also a lot more freedom to move about without fear.

Obviously there is now much more freedom technically/legally and merely acceptance.  But is it better? Yes in a strictly legal and acceptance sense.  When I first became a police officer in the mid-80s and even until the mid-90s, there was violent crime and n PA but it was mostly located in small pockets and they could easily be avoided. Now? There were no drive by shooting or violent crimes like robberies in neighborhoods. The local Stop and Rob convenience store? Sure and in those limited neighborhoods and I am not talking Black neighborhoods.  There were several areas in Black neighborhoods in PA that I never went to for police services. There was simply no need. They were quiet and generally self policed.  The violence was mostly concentrated in the areas of short Texas, Sally’s alley and a short strip of Houston Ave. 

I don’t think parents are less worried about their children today because it is different.  Quite the opposite.   Violent crime isn’t concentrated in a couple of small pockets of a city. People are not wise to leave their doors unlocked or even your car door if you are out of it for even a minute. I was probably in my late 20s when I first started thinking about locking car doors. 

So while it is easy for a 40 year old today to say it is better now, what is their experience time frame? A person turning 40 this year was 15 years old in 1997.  That person has no direct knowledge of the “old days”. I could only guess but I think the Black kids that I played with in Orange who are approaching 70 years old, might long for the old days but without the discrimination. Maybe like, I wish it was like 2022  but back when I was a child in 1963.

So yes things are bad now and they were bad then but for different reasons. It goes by a person’s experience. For all its faults, some of the previous generations had a much simpler life. It depends on if you look so the glass as half full or half empty.

In my opinion….

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

People can only relate to what they experience. Although in history books, no one reading this forum was there for slavery, Indian displacement and for most people, not even segregation laws in the 50’s and early 60’s. I will be 67 on my next birthday and I was 3 years old when the 60’s rolled around.

Just like I wasn’t around for slavery, almost no one reading this was around for Jim Crow laws either.

Yes times seemed better  in the “old days” or maybe “better” is more appropriately described as “simpler”.  Not locking your door, kids not coming home until after dark because their parents didn’t have to worry that they hadn’t seen you all day, some stores having blank checks at the checkout because you forgot yours and you were trusted to fill in your correct name and bank account number and so on. Some people (most?) even left their cars unlocked and many left their keys in the car.   That includes the Black community. My best friend’s first cousins lived in Riverside in Orange and I used to go there a few times in the summer to play. We played hide and seek and other games with the Black kids living there and I don’t recall them being in before dark either. I don’t think their parents were worried about them getting stopped by the police for selling drugs or them being the victim of a drive-by shooting. It was a simpler time. Was there racism? Discrimination? Sure, but there was also a lot more freedom to move about without fear.

Obviously there is now much more freedom technically/legally and merely acceptance.  But is it better? Yes in a strictly legal and acceptance sense.  When I first became a police officer in the mid-80s and even until the mid-90s, there was violent crime and n PA but it was mostly located in small pockets and they could easily be avoided. Now? There were no drive by shooting or violent crimes like robberies in neighborhoods. The local Stop and Rob convenience store? Sure and in those limited neighborhoods and I am not talking Black neighborhoods.  There were several areas in Black neighborhoods in PA that I never went to for police services. There was simply no need. They were quiet and generally self policed.  The violence was mostly concentrated in the areas of short Texas, Sally’s alley and a short strip of Houston Ave. 

I don’t think parents are less worried about their children today because it is different.  Quite the opposite.   Violent crime isn’t concentrated in a couple of small pockets of a city. People are not wise to leave their doors unlocked or even your car door if you are out of it for even a minute. I was probably in my late 20s when I first started thinking about locking car doors. 

So while it is easy for a 40 year old today to say it is better now, what is their experience time frame? A person turning 40 this year was 15 years old in 1997.  That person has no direct knowledge of the “old days”. I could only guess but I think the Black kids that I played with in Orange who are approaching 70 years old, might long for the old days but without the discrimination. Maybe like, I wish it was like 2022  but back when I was a child in 1963.

So yes things are bad now and they were bad then but for different reasons. It goes by a person’s experience. For all its faults, some of the previous generations had a much simpler life. It depends on if you look so the glass as half full or half empty.

In my opinion….

That was great and you are correct. I let my son stay out until dark in my subdivision in Lumberton 10-12 years ago.....safe community, hardly locked the door. Today I'm in Port Arthur temporarily for a couple years and I purchased a Bluetooth electronic deadbolt for the backdoor (the one we enter and leave the house mostly) because I wanted to be able to lock remotely incase I forgot.....in Lumberton I didn't feel that way.

When you started in the police force and I in EMS, you are absolutely correct about small pockets of crime.....I remember certain areas we waited for you guys before we entered a house. The violent crimes we responded to where generally in the same areas.....but generally PA was a safe town.......Today, where I live is not horrible. I hear that crime typically follows apartments, which is why all the crime is happening around central mall and that area. Is there any truth to that TVC?

2 hours ago, tvc184 said:

In my opinion….

Great post and excellent job of inserting the fact that even though there was segregation, there were some positives for blacks then.  I’ve seen “White Only” signs at water fountains in Beaumont.  I found it somewhat embarrassing even at my age.  But there were still mostly black families, and yes no drive by shootings.  No one selling drugs on the street.  It was like, the best of times; the worst of times.  There again, I suppose there’s good & bad all the time, just in my world on the scales, the good outweighed the bad.

9 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

That was great and you are correct. I let my son stay out until dark in my subdivision in Lumberton 10-12 years ago.....safe community, hardly locked the door. Today I'm in Port Arthur temporarily for a couple years and I purchased a Bluetooth electronic deadbolt for the backdoor (the one we enter and leave the house mostly) because I wanted to be able to lock remotely incase I forgot.....in Lumberton I didn't feel that way.

When you started in the police force and I in EMS, you are absolutely correct about small pockets of crime.....I remember certain areas we waited for you guys before we entered a house. The violent crimes we responded to where generally in the same areas.....but generally PA was a safe town.......Today, where I live is not horrible. I hear that crime typically follows apartments, which is why all the crime is happening around central mall and that area. Is there any truth to that TVC?

Yes, it is true.  Certainly nothing is 100% but as a general comparison, yes.

21 hours ago, tvc184 said:

In my opinion….

You know one thing that I think has changed more than anything is the internet and social media letting us know about all of these horrible cases, and if anything the advancement in LEO technology has discouraged some crime.  I think there were probably just as many cases back then, we just never heard of them.  I think if news coverage and social media was available back then like it is now, not nearly so many people would've been comfortable leaving their doors unlocked or letting their kids play outside alone.  Serial killers in the 60s-70s-80s were killing large amounts of victims and nobody ever even heard about it, and even when there was biological evidence there was often little to no way to connect it to the killer. 

27 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

You know one thing that I think has changed more than anything is the internet and social media letting us know about all of these horrible cases, and if anything the advancement in LEO technology has discouraged some crime.  I think there were probably just as many cases back then, we just never heard of them.  I think if news coverage and social media was available back then like it is now, not nearly so many people would've been comfortable leaving their doors unlocked or letting their kids play outside alone.  Serial killers in the 60s-70s-80s were killing large amounts of victims and nobody ever even heard about it, and even when there was biological evidence there was often little to no way to connect it to the killer. 

We didn’t seem to have a problem identifying as man or woman in the good old days.  

49 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I can tell you for a fact in the early 90's in PA one night I responded to two separate shooting and one stabbing, and I don't recall any of them making the news. 

I find it remarkable that as the "Good ole" racism that we read about and somewhat experienced via our parents' attitudes has gone away, the animosity between the races is worse than I can remember in my lifetime.    49/male.

I can honestly remember talking to guys from East Texas in the mid nineties (in the era of the James Byrd death) and them claiming that they expected a race war to follow.  I thought it sounded like complete nonsense from white supremacists.  It doesn't seem that far-fetched these days.  

My grandfather was born in 1903... he grew up in the era of lynchings.  People haven't gotten away with that mess in my lifetime, but yesterday we signed a law into effect banning it.  I'm unaware of a single "lynching" that has occurred in the interim.  I don't understand the point of holding people today accountable for things that happened years ago.  

There's a very troubling show on Paramount+ that's worth a watch.  It's horrible and I honestly never realized how bad it was.