Sulphur Springs…/Faircloth hired

navydawg31

On 1/27/2022 at 1:27 PM, Reagan said:

Actually, your statement, "pushed out by your current administration" was NOT an arbitrary fact statement on your part.  It was a pretty definite statement.  OK, so you admit you don't know. I thought you did by your statement and I wanted to know what you knew about it.  

Let me explain good and bad for you.  Good:  Let go because the school said the coach has had a enough time to win a State Championship.  Bad:  If a coach is pushed out because of a preconceived buddy deal.

If I see smoke coming from the windows I don't have to run inside the house to tell you it's on fire. That's not how I would define good and bad reasons at all either. A "good" reason for being pushed out is poor job performance, personal conduct infractions or a rule violation like what happened to Jeff Nelson at Ozen. A "bad" reason would be because of administrative vendettas, town "politics" or the perceived notion that you should be competing at higher level when your personnel doesn't necessarily dictate that.

1 minute ago, Cougar14.2 said:

If I see smoke coming from the windows I don't have to run inside the house to tell you it's on fire. That's not how I would define good and bad reasons at all either. A "good" reason for being pushed out is poor job performance, personal conduct infractions or a rule violation like what happened to Jeff Nelson at Ozen. A "bad" reason would be because of administrative vendettas, town "politics" or the perceived notion that you should be competing at higher level when your personnel doesn't necessarily dictate that.

THIS!!!!!!!

Well said 14.2

13 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I'll ask you:  Did the "personel" just show up when Surratt at Carthage (after 84 years of no State Title) and Buchanan at Aledo showed up?  Of course not!!  They were there before.  The coach was the difference!   Again, letting a coach go, it all depends on where you set the bar.  My bar is high.  The PNG coach had 12 years.  Does that mean he was treated unfairly?  I wouldn't think so.  But, I knew after 7-8 years that a State Title wasn't in PNG's future.  Maybe the Superintendent and board members realized the same thing.  Like I've said before -- if one's expectations are low, then they'l be met EVERY time!

34 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I'll ask you:  Did the "personel" just show up when Surratt at Carthage (after 84 years of no State Title) and Buchanan at Aledo showed up?  Of course not!!  They were there before.  The coach was the difference!   Again, letting a coach go, it all depends on where you set the bar.  My bar is high.  The PNG coach had 12 years.  Does that mean he was treated unfairly?  I wouldn't think so.  But, I knew after 7-8 years that a State Title wasn't in PNG's future.  Maybe the Superintendent and board members realized the same thing.  Like I've said before -- if one's expectations are low, then they'l be met EVERY time!

My expectations are never lower than when responding to trolls, but here goes.

With respect to Aledo, the answer to your rhetorical question couldn't be more different than the one you provided. The City of Aledo more than doubled in size from 2010 to 2020. It grew by nearly 60% over the ten years prior to that, and by nearly 50% over the ten years prior to that. Aledo ISD's enrollment growth has been even faster than the city's population growth. Like the Austin suburbs, a lot of Aledo's biggest subdivision developments have cropped up outside city limits, where developers have elected to use a combination of MUDs and HOAs to establish basic services and governing structures instead of traditional, municipal options. Not to mention that the bulk of the population growth in and around Aledo has been comprised of young families; the median age in Aledo has dropped like a sinking stone. It also helps that Aledo's median household income is multiples of the state average.

The community's growing like a weed because the Fort Worth suburbs keep lurching west, and the influx of talent couldn't be more clear on the field. Aledo's own local leadership will tell you their success on the gridiron is owed in large part to their explosive population growth.

8 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

With respect to Aledo, the answer to your rhetorical question couldn't be more different than the one you provided. The City of Aledo more than doubled in size from 2010 to 2020. It grew by nearly 60% over the ten years prior to that, and by nearly 50% over the ten years prior to that. Aledo ISD's enrollment growth has been even faster than the city's population growth. Like the Austin suburbs, a lot of Aledo's biggest subdivision developments have cropped up outside city limits, where developers have elected to use a combination of MUDs and HOAs to establish basic services and governing structures instead of traditional, municipal options. Not to mention that the bulk of the population growth in and around Aledo has been comprised of young families; the median age in Aledo has dropped like a sinking stone. It also helps that Aledo's median household income is multiples of the state average.

The community's growing like a weed because the Fort Worth suburbs keep lurching west, and the influx of talent couldn't be more clear on the field. Aledo's own local leadership will tell you their success on the gridiron is owed in large part to their explosive population growth.

What about Carthage, Stephenville, Celina, Brownwood?  You think Austin Westlake is going to replicate what Dodge has done?  Southlake Carrol hasn't replicated what Dodge has done.  And probably not going to. 

So, at Aledo, Buchanan had NOTHING to do with it?!  With all the growth you talk about about, they are in Div 2 5A.  So, come the 3rd, they should zoom right on up to Div 1 6A.  But, Buchanan must be the luckiest coach in the world to be there at the right time when all the athletes showed up.  But, the ones I feel sorry for are the previous 14 coaches that never had Buchanan's great fortune.  And the worst of the lot is the coach right before Buchcnan.  If he would have just stayed on all the State Championships would have been his!  Even you can't believe that!  But, maybe you can!!

48 minutes ago, Reagan said:

What about Carthage, Stephenville, Celina, Brownwood?  You think Austin Westlake is going to replicate what Dodge has done?  Southlake Carrol hasn't replicated what Dodge has done.  And probably not going to. 

So, at Aledo, Buchanan had NOTHING to do with it?!  With all the growth you talk about about, they are in Div 2 5A.  So, come the 3rd, they should zoom right on up to Div 1 6A.  But, Buchanan must be the luckiest coach in the world to be there at the right time when all the athletes showed up.  But, the ones I feel sorry for are the previous 14 coaches that never had Buchanan's great fortune.  And the worst of the lot is the coach right before Buchcnan.  If he would have just stayed on all the State Championships would have been his!  Even you can't believe that!  But, maybe you can!!

Where did I say Buchanan had nothing to do with it, smitty? Don’t put words in my mouth.

Of course Buchanan had something to do with it. All the population growth in the world won’t help a football program if there isn’t a good coach in charge. But the quality of the coaching is just one part of a larger equation. Take the massive influx of talent entering Aledo over the last twenty years away, and Aledo wouldn’t be nearly as successful as it’s been, Buchanan or no Buchanan.

Your extra examples aren’t helping your case. Celina grew more than 150% from 2010 to 2020. Celina’s median household income is even higher than Aledo’s. Stephenville hasn’t grown as quickly, but its population is still up roughly 50% since 2000. And where Stephenville, Carthage and Brownwood all differ from Aledo (and the Mid-County schools, for that matter) is that they’re all 4A-DI or below. Those classifications aren’t utterly dominated by fast growing, upscale suburban schools in the way that everything from 5A-DII up is. The disparity in talent, funding, resources, socioeconomic backgrounds and so on isn’t nearly as severe.

36 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Where did I say Buchanan had nothing to do with it, smitty? Don’t put words in my mouth.

Of course Buchanan had something to do with it. All the population growth in the world won’t help a football program if there isn’t a good coach in charge. But the quality of the coaching is just one part of a larger equation. Take the massive influx of talent entering Aledo over the last twenty years away, and Aledo wouldn’t be nearly as successful as it’s been, Buchanan or no Buchanan.

Your extra examples aren’t helping your case. Celina grew more than 150% from 2010 to 2020. Celina’s median household income is even higher than Aledo’s. Stephenville hasn’t grown as quickly, but its population is still up roughly 50% since 2000. And where Stephenville, Carthage and Brownwood all differ from Aledo (and the Mid-County schools, for that matter) is that they’re all 4A-DI or below. Those classifications aren’t utterly dominated by fast growing, upscale suburban schools in the way that everything from 5A-DII up is. The disparity in talent, funding, resources, socioeconomic backgrounds and so on isn’t nearly as severe.

Actually you didn't say anything about the coaching.  You were trying to prove why it wasn't about the coaching by saying how massive the population growth was that brought Aledo the athletes!  In your last sentence, you are still giving excuses why a coach wins and why a coach loses and it's not because of the coach!  So, I guess if Faircloth was lucky enough to have got the Carthage job then he, not Surratt, would have won all those State Titles.  I say probably not.  He had 12 years at PNG to prove he could or couldn't.  We know which one it was.  Can't run from ones record of no State Titles!  I say again, if Surratt came to PNG, within my time frame of 7 years PNG would have at least one State Title.  But, with your thought, Surratt would not ever win a State Title at PNG.  Why would I say he would:  Because that's what State Championship-type coaches do.  But, I will grant you this:  there aren't that many of these coaches out there.  I'd say, maybe, 10%.  That's why in 12 years Faircloth couldn't.  That's why in 19 years Nuemann couldn't.  And that's why in 15 years Burnett couldn't.  90% of the coaches can't.  So, that's why it's easy to blame the kids/athletes!  

2 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Actually you didn't say anything about the coaching.  You were trying to prove why it wasn't about the coaching by saying how massive the population growth was that brought Aledo the athletes!  In your last sentence, you are still giving excuses why a coach wins and why a coach loses and it's not because of the coach!  So, I guess if Faircloth was lucky enough to have got the Carthage job then he, not Surratt, would have won all those State Titles.  I say probably not.  He had 12 years at PNG to prove he could or couldn't.  We know which one it was.  Can't run from ones record of no State Titles!  I say again, if Surratt came to PNG, within my time frame of 7 years PNG would have at least one State Title.  But, with your thought, Surratt would not ever win a State Title at PNG.  Why would I say he would:  Because that's what State Championship-type coaches do.  But, I will grant you this:  there aren't that many of these coaches out there.  I'd say, maybe, 10%.  That's why in 12 years Faircloth couldn't.  That's why in 19 years Nuemann couldn't.  And that's why in 15 years Burnett couldn't.  90% of the coaches can't.  So, that's why it's easy to blame the kids/athletes!  

I’ll say it one more time. Don’t put words in my mouth.

Thanks for once again verifying why I should keep my expectations low when dealing with internet trolls, smitty.

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

Would Surratt duplicate that success at Orangefield?

Carthage was a sleeping giant…. Much like Jasper is.   Sure, it takes the right coach, and some luck to get the ball rolling and the program up and off the ground.

IMO Surratt is one of the best coaches in the state, but just because he’s done it at Carthage don’t mean he would replace Danaher and won titles there.

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

T0M WESTERBERG
17 years; 186-34-0; 16-11-4

2004  Allen                     9-3-0 R
2005  Allen                     9-3-0 R
2006  Allen                   13-2-0*
2007  Allen                   10-1-0*
2008  Allen                   15-1-0*
2009  Allen                   10-2-0*
2010  Allen                   10-2-0*
2011  Allen                   11-1-0*
2012  Allen                   15-1-0*
2013  Allen                   16-0-0*
2014  Allen                   16-0-0*
2015  Allen                   14-1-0*
2016  Barbers Hill          8-3-0 T
2017  Barbers Hill          6-3-0
2018  Barbers Hill          7-4-0 T
2019  Barbers Hill        11-2-0*
2020  Barbers Hill          6-5-0 T
If getting a State Championship coach is all that is needed why didn't Barbers Hill win one? I think Athletes play a part of it. I do agree good coaching helps the program.  But some schools don't have the athletes to compete deep in the playoffs. It also comes down to depth on your roster if you have multiple players going both ways and the other team doesn't it makes things even harder.

1 hour ago, refuse2lose said:
T0M WESTERBERG
17 years; 186-34-0; 16-11-4

2004  Allen                     9-3-0 R
2005  Allen                     9-3-0 R
2006  Allen                   13-2-0*
2007  Allen                   10-1-0*
2008  Allen                   15-1-0*
2009  Allen                   10-2-0*
2010  Allen                   10-2-0*
2011  Allen                   11-1-0*
2012  Allen                   15-1-0*
2013  Allen                   16-0-0*
2014  Allen                   16-0-0*
2015  Allen                   14-1-0*
2016  Barbers Hill          8-3-0 T
2017  Barbers Hill          6-3-0
2018  Barbers Hill          7-4-0 T
2019  Barbers Hill        11-2-0*
2020  Barbers Hill          6-5-0 T
If getting a State Championship coach is all that is needed why didn't Barbers Hill win one? I think Athletes play a part of it. I do agree good coaching helps the program.  But some schools don't have the athletes to compete deep in the playoffs. It also comes down to depth on your roster if you have multiple players going both ways and the other team doesn't it makes things even harder.

As I've said before -- nothing is in a straight line.  But, concerning Westerberg, it's easy to point to him.  But, I believe he was at BH for only 6 years.  I truly believe if he stayed he would have got a State Title at BH.  My opinion.  

29 minutes ago, Reagan said:

As I've said before -- nothing is in a straight line.  But, concerning Westerberg, it's easy to point to him.  But, I believe he was at BH for only 6 years.  I truly believe if he stayed he would have got a State Title at BH.  My opinion.  

HAL WASSON
33 years; 256-125-3; 23-13-1

1986  Italy                              8-4-0*
1987  Italy                              9-2-0*
1988  San Saba                     4-6-1 R
1989  San Saba                     8-3-0*
1990  Pittsburg                       3-7-0
1991  Pittsburg                       3-7-0
1992  Kerens                          7-4-0 R
1993  Kerens                        10-2-1 R
1994  Kerens                          9-2-0*
1995  Mexia                            9-2-1*
1996  Mexia                          10-2-0 R
1997  Mexia                            3-7-0
1998  Mexia                            1-9-0
1999  Liberty Hill                     3-7-0
2000  Liberty Hill                     3-7-0
         —staff, Southlake Carroll—
2003  Keller Fossil Ridge        6-4-0
2004  Keller Fossil Ridge        6-4-0
2005  Keller Fossil Ridge        6-5-0 T
2006  Keller Fossil Ridge      10-2-0*
2007  Southlake Carroll        11-2-0*
2008  Southlake Carroll          8-3-0 R
2009  Southlake Carroll        11-2-0*
2010  Southlake Carroll        10-4-0 T
2011  Southlake Carroll        16-0-0*
2012  Southlake Carroll        12-2-0*
2013  Southlake Carroll        11-2-0*
2014  Southlake Carroll        13-1-0*
2015  Southlake Carroll          9-3-0 R
2016  Southlake Carroll        10-2-0*
2017  Southlake Carroll        10-4-0 T
          ---AD, Irving---
2019  Corsicana                     7-4-0 T
2020  Corsicana                     4-6-0
2021  Corsicana                     6-4-

lets take look at this coach. It took him 24 years to get a state championship. He even coached at Liberty hill and was unsuccessful. He went to Mexia in 1995 and they won a state championship 1989. Keller is horrible. Pittsburg has one state championship in 1980 and is pretty below average. Kerens, San Saba and Corsicana is mediocre.  Now look at South Lake Carrol do you see how much his  coaching improved? Do you think he changed much throughout his years of experience probably so. But the one factor is that the talent was greater in South lake than those other teams he coached at.  Maybe PNG should have gave Faircloth 24 years and he could have got them a ring. But what if he goes to Sulphur Spring and wins a state championship. Will your opinion change about him?

16 hours ago, Reagan said:

Yeah, they just showed up at Aledo. I watched Aledo's 1998 title game against Cuero and I didn't see one black kid on the team. Not that that part matters but somehow all of a sudden with the same 2% black population in their school you get Johnathan Gray, Jase McClellan, Jojo Earle, the Allen brothers, Jeff Carter, etc. ALL in recent years when they never had them before. Throw that in with their population explosion and Aledo is a total anomaly in the sense that their recruiting numbers look more like Arlington Martin's versus Southlake Carroll's like they should. 

CE King is good now. Is it because the new coach is that much better or is it because their enrollment grew by 1500 kids since they were in the district with Crosby 6 years ago? 1500 additional North Shore type kids is going to make it easier on any coach. Jon Kay has won 4 state titles in 8 years at North Shore. He might end up as the greatest high school coach ever but he's not beating Dodge, Samples, Carter and Joseph with Summer Creek's talent the way he's basically owned them while at North Shore going 11-3 in those contest. Meanwhile he's 3-5 against the Meekins brothers at Westfield. I know you don't consider them great coaches due to not having titles though. 

There's a huge difference between "low" expectations and realistic expectations which is where I think you're getting confused. I watched PNG play Montgomery and I would've given Montgomery a slight advantage athletically yet PNG still beat them. If PNG played Montgomery 10 times it would probably be 5-5. I watched them play Texas High the next week and the gap in athletes was more like a chasm. They could play that game 10 times and TH would probably win 9 of them. If PNG's administration can't can't objectively watch their team play and come to that conclusion then that's more on them than it is on BF. 

17 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yeah, they just showed up at Aledo. I watched Aledo's 1998 title game against Cuero and I didn't see one black kid on the team. Not that that part matters but somehow all of a sudden with the same 2% black population in their school you get Johnathan Gray, Jase McClellan, Jojo Earle, the Allen brothers, Jeff Carter, etc. ALL in recent years when they never had them before. Throw that in with their population explosion and Aledo is a total anomaly in the sense that their recruiting numbers look more like Arlington Martin's versus Southlake Carroll's like they should. 

CE King is good now. Is it because the new coach is that much better or is it because their enrollment grew by 1500 kids since they were in the district with Crosby 6 years ago? 1500 additional North Shore type kids is going to make it easier on any coach. Jon Kay has won 4 state titles in 8 years at North Shore. He might end up as the greatest high school coach ever but he's not beating Dodge, Samples, Carter and Joseph with Summer Creek's talent the way he's basically owned them while at North Shore going 11-3 in those contest. Meanwhile he's 3-5 against the Meekins brothers at Westfield. I know you don't consider them great coaches due to not having titles though. 

There's a huge difference between "low" expectations and realistic expectations which is where I think you're getting confused. I watched PNG play Montgomery and I would've given Montgomery a slight advantage athletically yet PNG still beat them. If PNG played Montgomery 10 times it would probably be 5-5. I watched them play Texas High the next week and the gap in athletes was more like a chasm. They could play that game 10 times and TH would probably win 9 of them. If PNG's administration can't can't objectively watch their team play and come to that conclusion then that's more on them than it is on BF. 

I need more likes. @Aggieswife @AggiesAreWe 😁

The recruiting coordinator at Aledo is second to none.  So is the strength and conditioning/nutrition coach.  It is amazing that every year Aledo has an outstanding RB and a few OL kids standing 6'4" or 6'5" and weighing 275+ lbs.  It must be something in the water out there in SW Fort Worth, plus the population growth?  Didn't the last QB move in from California?  Was that last year or the year before?  COVID move in because California paused sports?

3 hours ago, 1989NDN said:

The recruiting coordinator at Aledo is second to none.  So is the strength and conditioning/nutrition coach.  It is amazing that every year Aledo has an outstanding RB and a few OL kids standing 6'4" or 6'5" and weighing 275+ lbs.  It must be something in the water out there in SW Fort Worth, plus the population growth?  Didn't the last QB move in from California?  Was that last year or the year before?  COVID move in because California paused sports?

To Aledo's credit, whatever they're doing out there is obviously legal since I'm sure the UIL has checked. Yes, the qb this past year was a transfer from California. Got to see him up close last year in Dallas. They also had an offensive lineman come from California a couple years earlier, he was a 6'6"/315lbs 4* that ended up signing with Michigan. I'm sure it's all a coincidence though.  

On 1/31/2022 at 6:43 PM, Reagan said:

Surratt is unlike any coach in Texas. 
He is a master mind at finding your teams weaknesses. 
carthage has always had the athletes just needed the best coach in Texas to make them into a consistent machine. 8 state championships and 11 semi finals appearances in 14 years. 
Carthage has not grown one bit since I graduated in 1974. 
We will have him at least 4 more years because his son will be a freshman and the next great QB and a freshmen team loaded with size and talent. 
Surratt and his staff could win anywhere they were at. We have been very blessed that he chose Carthage in 2007. 

On 1/31/2022 at 9:03 PM, Reagan said:

But, concerning Westerberg, it's easy to point to him.  But, I believe he was at BH for only 6 years.  I truly believe if he stayed he would have got a State Title at BH.  My opinion.  

I respect your opinion but I don't share it at all. The program seem to regressing at the end. Shiny new buildings and lots of money for him and his family didn't translate into wins for BH. Playoff wins were few. I think he had only three wins in 5 years.  Yes, I realize some see it differently but I am glad we moved on. 

As for PNG, BF and SS, I think its all going to work out for everybody in the end. BF might have been inwardly relieved to get away from all the drama, and TD will find PNG a great coach I am sure.  

On 1/31/2022 at 4:32 PM, PN-G bamatex said:

Not as eloquent as Bamatex, but it's easy for a person with a good job in the western side of the Metroplex (Ft. Worth, Arlington, Grapevine, Lewisville, The H-B-E districts) to move to Aledo for football purposes and and keep the job.  Not easy for a family living in Houston area to move to PN-G and continue working there.   That may change in the future with work-from-home.