Sulphur Springs…/Faircloth hired

navydawg31

52 minutes ago, Fat guy said:

Agreed - coaching can’t be ignored. But I think it’s short-sighted not to look at what Faircloth did with both eyes open and give credit where credit is due - PNG success, where we had it, under Faircloth, wasn’t guaranteed. Faircloth developed offensive talent on a year-to-year basis as well as or better than any coach in the area. And that kept us in games we should have lost. Would I like to see better defense? Yes. I also think we could be better. But there’s no guarantee a new coach is going to reach even what Faircloth did. But the one thing that’s certain is certain PNG fans are going to be toxic to the new guy and we’ll wonder in a few years why he left. They may as well start getting the for sale signs ready for the new guy. Sometimes PNG fans just don’t deserve a good coach. They don’t want a team, they want a club. Coach Thompson would have lasted five seconds at PNG because the first time he required an ounce of toughness from the kids he would lose the team. And no matter what Faircloth ever did, he was getting back-bit in every direction. I’m going to laugh my head off if Sulphur Springs win state under Faircloth. Not saying he will, but maybe he’s better than we gave him credit for? Best of luck to the new guy. I hope he likes listening to parents whine. 

They're less talented than PNG.  0-10 last year, two other seasons of 1-9 since 2016.  He'll do well to keep them around .500.  Which will be a major success to everyone but Reagan.  

28 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

They're less talented than PNG.  0-10 last year, two other seasons of 1-9 since 2016.  He'll do well to keep them around .500.  Which will be a major success to everyone but Reagan.  

Sulphur Springs talent level is way down right now they'll struggle even dropping down to 4A...but there's some good groups at the lower levels...just gonna be about 3-4 years before you see impacts on Friday night

2 hours ago, Reagan said:

First of all, let me say Doug Ethridge spanked Les Koenning in the Astrodome during a playoff run.  Another fact!  

Now, With Newton and Barbay:  There are no guarantees.  True I would have missed that one.  But, that's like 1% of the total.  The point is:  Do you let a coach stay there 30 years with the "hope" that he may start winning a state title?  Again, not me.  I miss a few along the way.  But that percentage is small.  Why?  Because there are not that many state championship-type coaches out there. 

Now Phil Danaher is an interesting situation:   I'm pretty sure he ran a respectable program through the years.  But -- one has to wonder why he couldn't bring it to the next level.  My thought, he's not one of the 10% out there that could.  But if the taxpayers, fan base and administration was happy going a couple of rounds in the playoffs and then going home, well, more power to them!  Again, that's where they set the bar!

Now a little speculation and a fact:  Concerning Faircloth:  Does anyone think that if he took over at Carthage right now that within 7 years he could win a State Title and replicate what Surratt has done?  That's the speculation part.  Now the fact:  Before Surratt got there -- no one did!!  Was he just so lucky that the talent only showed up at Carthage when he did??!!  I don't think any one here can honestly believe that!!

Lol, "a couple rounds in the playoffs and then going home"? Dude took Calallen to the semis 12 times in 37 years after taking HF to the semis twice in six years, meaning every three years he's playing for a shot at the dance. That's a hell of a bar. There's not many guys who've ever graced a sideline in Texas that could go to a school in the barrio and win 400+ games in the southern half of Texas with Galena Park's roster.

You're saying the superintendent should've gone to him and said, "Look, I know you've been here 10 years, made nine straight playoff appearances, had seven 10+ win seasons, have three undefeated regular seasons, four district titles and have been to the semis two times(first in school history) but we're going to go a different route because you're not winning titles"? Let it go dude, Buchannan, Dodge and Surratt aren't the only great coaches in the state. 

Imagine making a straight faced argument that this guy isn't one of the GOATs:

PHIL DANAHER

Overall Record: 490-118-4

Calallen record: 422-81-2

Record in district play: 263-43-2

Playoff record: 93-41

District championship (includes co and outright): 28

Undefeated regular seasons: 12

Undefeated district seasons: 23

Seasons with 10 or more wins: 32

37 straight seasons in the playoffs (Longest active streak in Texas and second longest streak in Texas history)

Source: Steven Floyd, Calallen historian(CC Caller Times)

10 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Lol, "a couple rounds in the playoffs and then going home"? Dude took Calallen to the semis 12 times in 37 years after taking HF to the semis twice in six years, meaning every three years he's playing for a shot at the dance. That's a hell of a bar. There's not many guys who've ever graced a sideline in Texas that could go to a school in the barrio and win 400+ games in the southern half of Texas with Galena Park's roster.

You're saying the superintendent should've gone to him and said, "Look, I know you've been here 10 years, made nine straight playoff appearances, had seven 10+ win seasons, have three undefeated regular seasons, four district titles and have been to the semis two times(first in school history) but we're going to go a different route because you're not winning titles"? Let it go dude, Buchannan, Dodge and Surratt aren't the only great coaches in the state. 

Imagine making a straight faced argument that this guy isn't one of the GOATs:

PHIL DANAHER

Overall Record: 490-118-4

Calallen record: 422-81-2

Record in district play: 263-43-2

Playoff record: 93-41

District championship (includes co and outright): 28

Undefeated regular seasons: 12

Undefeated district seasons: 23

Seasons with 10 or more wins: 32

37 straight seasons in the playoffs (Longest active streak in Texas and second longest streak in Texas history)

Source: Steven Floyd, Calallen historian(CC Caller Times)

Again -- no State Title appearances and no State Titles.  There's something wrong here!  Are you going to tell us that through all his years there he NEVER had the talent to win a State Title?!   I for one not believing it!  But, you've stated 3 coaches that know how to win State Championships.  As for as the Superintendant -- again, it's where you set the bar!  If the fan base is happy not ever winning a State Championship, then more power to them!

1 hour ago, outanup said:

Doesn’t PNG have co ad’s…. One for girls and boys sports? If you raise the salary it would have to be for both. Very costly.

No, that is not correct. Faircloth was the AD and Comeaux has the title of Girls Athletic Coordinator, she still ultimately answered to Faircloth (On paper). Comeaux is still the girls coordinator, but retired from coaching volleyball.

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

Makes you wonder how much of an impact Riordan had? Not that he was the reason they were winning but him coming to Crosby in 2012 coincides with the start of their slide, SS' offensive numbers took a serious downturn in the following years. Meanwhile he's been a winner at both places he's been since and put up some serious offensive numbers.

BF's offensive skillset may be exactly what SS has been in need of? SS has some title  history, much like Chapel Hill did before Riordan took over after they went 13-40 the previous five seasons. 

25 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

I definitely wouldnt call Calallen the "barrio"

The western part of their attendance zone is more well to do than the eastern part of their attendance zone but per the Texas Tribune demographic study about 50% of their enrollment is classified as "economically disadvantaged" which is why I said it that way. Pleasant Grove in east Dallas has similar demographics and is a relatively decent area but that's how "some" posters on this board would still classify it.  

33 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Again -- no State Title appearances and no State Titles.  There's something wrong here!  Are you going to tell us that through all his years there he NEVER had the talent to win a State Title?!   I for one not believing it!  But, you've stated 3 coaches that know how to win State Championships.  As for as the Superintendant -- again, it's where you set the bar!  If the fan base is happy not ever winning a State Championship, then more power to them!

Lol, just say you didn't watch Calallen play Aledo in the title game. He's been there twice though. No he's never had the talent to win state, name me the last Corpus Christi school that did? You think all those coaches in The Valley suck because they can't beat the Austin and San Antonio powerhouses in the playoffs? I guess there's something wrong with Westerberg and Gage too since they have six titles between them but couldn't win one in 10+ consecutive years at BH. I mean, other guys won titles at BH? 

3 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Lol, just say you didn't watch Calallen play Aledo in the title game. He's been there twice though. No he's never had the talent to win state, name me the last Corpus Christi school that did? You think all those coaches in The Valley suck because they can't beat the Austin and San Antonio powerhouses in the playoffs? I guess there's something wrong with Westerberg and Gage too since they have six titles between them but couldn't win one in 10+ consecutive years at BH. I mean, other guys won titles at BH? 

I stand corrected.  I forgot they got beat by Aledo for the State Title.     I'll state again, it's not about the talent.  I'll ask you -- have you ever seen a less talented team beat a more talented team?  I have!   As for as Westerberg, I think he had them headed in the right direction.  And given a little more time I think it would have happened.  But, that's my opinion.  

Reagan, I appreciate your respect of Coach Ethridge.  You will not find a bigger fan of Coach Ethridge than me.  That said, let's not overlook the facts that Coach Ethridge surrounded himself with talented assistant coaches, e.g., Butch Troy, Paul Carswell, Ken Clearman, Greg Davis, Bruce Bush, Terry Cobb, Jerry Hooper, and several others, and Coach Ethridge had some talent on the 1974-1977 teams.  He had D-1 talent.  In the seventies, Port Neches and Groves were growing.  Refineries employed thousands, not hundreds, but thousands.  Families moved to Port Neches and Groves.  Some of those families had talented kids.  There are not too many kids at PN-G today like Richy Ethridge (Texas Tech), Randy Ethridge, Ted Brack (TCU), Kyle Aguillard (Tennessee), Matt Burnett (Lamar), Robert DeRutte (LSU), Justin Eicher (Lamar), James Shipley, Von Robinson, and several others.  LBs like Ted Brack, 6'2" or 6'3" and 215 lbs. that could run from sideline to sideline and violently end plays do not come through PN-G all that often.  Neither do RBs like Justin Eicher...6'2" 200 - 210 lbs. He could run over your and away from you.  Those teams from the seventies are long gone.  Times have changed.  Enrollments and districts have changed.  SETX has changed.  The game of football has changed.  Coach Ethridge is the greatest chief to ever lead our Tribe.  He's on the Mount Rushmore of PN-G greats, but he had talent on the sidelines and in the huddle when he made those championship runs.  His son, Richy, was a MLB playing QB.  Tough and savvy.  He could read defenses at the line of scrimmage and get PN-G out of bad plays and into good plays because he was the coach's son.  That doesn't happen all that often where you combine great coaching with great athletes, and your son directs the team and knows how to run your system.  Just my 0.02 cents.  RIP Coach Ethridge.  I get it, Reagan, you have high standards.  But, build in some leeway.  Great coaches come in different packages.  Peace.

2 minutes ago, 1989NDN said:

Reagan, I appreciate your respect of Coach Ethridge.  You will not find a bigger fan of Coach Ethridge than me.  That said, let's not overlook the facts that Coach Ethridge surrounded himself with talented assistant coaches, e.g., Butch Troy, Paul Carswell, Ken Clearman, Greg Davis, Bruce Bush, Terry Cobb, Jerry Hooper, and several others, and Coach Ethridge had some talent on the 1974-1977 teams.  He had D-1 talent.  In the seventies, Port Neches and Groves were growing.  Refineries employed thousands, not hundreds, but thousands.  Families moved to Port Neches and Groves.  Some of those families had talented kids.  There are not too many kids at PN-G today like Richy Ethridge (Texas Tech), Randy Ethridge, Ted Brack (TCU), Kyle Aguillard (Tennessee), Matt Burnett (Lamar), Robert DeRutte (LSU), Justin Eicher (Lamar), James Shipley, Von Robinson, and several others.  LBs like Ted Brack, 6'2" or 6'3" and 215 lbs. that could run from sideline to sideline and violently end plays do not come through PN-G all that often.  Neither do RBs like Justin Eicher...6'2" 200 - 210 lbs. He could run over your and away from you.  Those teams from the seventies are long gone.  Times have changed.  Enrollments and districts have changed.  SETX has changed.  The game of football has changed.  Coach Ethridge is the greatest chief to ever lead our Tribe.  He's on the Mount Rushmore of PN-G greats, but he had talent on the sidelines and in the huddle when he made those championship runs.  His son, Richy, was a MLB playing QB.  Tough and savvy.  He could read defenses at the line of scrimmage and get PN-G out of bad plays and into good plays because he was the coach's son.  That doesn't happen all that often where you combine great coaching with great athletes, and your son directs the team and knows how to run your system.  Just my 0.02 cents.  RIP Coach Ethridge.  I get it, Reagan, you have high standards.  But, build in some leeway.  Great coaches come in different packages.  Peace.

Agreed. This is not the area of the 70’s  refineries employee just a handful of employees while using contractors for everything else that have no ownership to the area  

2 hours ago, PNG Proud said:

Just as a reference, how long was Neumann at Nederland and how many state championships did he have.... I'll wait.

Reagan would want him fired. No State Championships...🙄🙄

as for me Coach Neumann was a great coach and better man! He got Nederland to start winning after many many years of not..

47 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Reagan would want him fired. No State Championships...🙄🙄

as for me Coach Neumann was a great coach and better man! He got Nederland to start winning after many many years of not..

He did want him fired remember??😂 I'm surprised he isn't trying to run off Barrow. 

Don't forget Reagan is Smitty, he just changed his screen name. 

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Sulphur Springs…/Faircloth hired