Path to Citizenship

SmashMouth

4 minutes ago, Hagar said:

And our politicians allowing the above during a pandemic, is bordering on criminal behavior, imo.

I agree 100%. Senseless. I’m talkin bout a family that’s been here working illegally for 7 or 8 years. Have kids born here that have been going to school here. No legal problems aside from illegal entry into our country. Good “citizens” otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I agree 100%. Senseless. I’m talkin bout a family that’s been here working illegally for 7 or 8 years. Have kids born here that have been going to school here. No legal problems aside from illegal entry into our country. Good “citizens” otherwise. 

I have no problem with those - IF they’ve been here that long and had no problem with the law, and providing for themselves, they’re vetted, imo.

I feel sorry for the millions of legal citizens that had/have trouble finding a job, or had their wages depressed because business' decided to hire cheap illegal labor. I feel sorry for us, the American taxpayer, who have been footing the bill. Is this the behavior we want to reward? Is this the route we want to continue?

1 hour ago, Englebert said:

I feel sorry for the millions of legal citizens that had/have trouble finding a job, or had their wages depressed because business' decided to hire cheap illegal labor. I feel sorry for us, the American taxpayer, who have been footing the bill. Is this the behavior we want to reward? Is this the route we want to continue?

Agree 100%

5 hours ago, Englebert said:

Being the devil’s advocate: a) they’re already here, b)the path is an 8 year process and c) they’re doing menial jobs which many unemployed Americans don’t want in the first place - at least they’ll be paying taxes now. 

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Being the devil’s advocate: a) they’re already here, b)the path is an 8 year process and c) they’re doing menial jobs which many unemployed Americans don’t want in the first place - at least they’ll be paying taxes now. 

When discussing illegal immigration, my focus is on the victims. I also don't believe in rewarding someone for breaking laws. 

In response to your points: a) they don't have to be, b) that is 8 years a legal citizen could be employed instead of the job filled by someone here illegally, c) the wages for menial jobs are artificially low because of illegal labor. And actually, many many illegals are performing jobs well beyond menial level. We have legal citizens currently working menial jobs, so Americans will do them. (Pay might have to be adjusted.) If not, we can expand/revamp/continue with our green card system, in which participants pay taxes. I am more than willing to have the green card system lead to citizenship.

Now let's discuss the perpetrators of the crimes. I don't blame or hold ill will to anyone that jumped the border to come to the United States. I would probably do the same thing if faced with the same situation. But I should never be rewarded for it. The focus for this topic should fall square on two groups of people that have failed the American citizen: employers of illegals and politicians/leaders that let it happen. Each group should suffer the consequences of letting this situation exist. We should start perp walking both of these groups. As far as the millions already here, and the millions on the way...I choose to side with the victims...the American worker/taxpayer.

5 hours ago, Englebert said:

When discussing illegal immigration, my focus is on the victims. I also don't believe in rewarding someone for breaking laws. 

In response to your points: a) they don't have to be, b) that is 8 years a legal citizen could be employed instead of the job filled by someone here illegally, c) the wages for menial jobs are artificially low because of illegal labor. And actually, many many illegals are performing jobs well beyond menial level. We have legal citizens currently working menial jobs, so Americans will do them. (Pay might have to be adjusted.) If not, we can expand/revamp/continue with our green card system, in which participants pay taxes. I am more than willing to have the green card system lead to citizenship.

Now let's discuss the perpetrators of the crimes. I don't blame or hold ill will to anyone that jumped the border to come to the United States. I would probably do the same thing if faced with the same situation. But I should never be rewarded for it. The focus for this topic should fall square on two groups of people that have failed the American citizen: employers of illegals and politicians/leaders that let it happen. Each group should suffer the consequences of letting this situation exist. We should start perp walking both of these groups. As far as the millions already here, and the millions on the way...I choose to side with the victims...the American worker/taxpayer.

All good points. I feel much like you do. I don’t think that an 8 year plan is necessarily rewarding anyone though. They’re not going anywhere. Do background checks, due diligence, issue green cards and get em on the tax roles.

6 hours ago, Englebert said:

Good post.

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

All good points. I feel much like you do. I don’t think that an 8 year plan is necessarily rewarding anyone though. They’re not going anywhere. Do background checks, due diligence, issue green cards and get em on the tax roles.

Practically everyone that is here illegally would voluntarily leave, and we don't even need ICE or a wall. Instead of rounding up the illegal aliens, we need to start rounding up the employers of illegals. Start throwing them in jail and enforce massive fines...and consequently the practice of hiring cheap illegal labor will stop. Once an illegal can't provide food for himself and family, he will voluntarily leave.

53 minutes ago, Englebert said:

Practically everyone that is here illegally would voluntarily leave, and we don't even need ICE or a wall. Instead of rounding up the illegal aliens, we need to start rounding up the employers of illegals. Start throwing them in jail and enforce massive fines...and consequently the practice of hiring cheap illegal labor will stop. Once an illegal can't provide food for himself and family, he will voluntarily leave.

Which they started doing in the late 80s or early 90s and then it was suddenly stopped.  At the time it was thought that big business lobbied to have it shut down. 

That's definitely the way to stop it if someone would follow through.

20 years ago, I had a construction job. American owned company, 2 legal employees, and however many illegals the boss needed at any given time. We were on a large job in Beaumont when "la migra" rolled up in full force. They all ran. My friend and I just started climbing down off the red iron. Boss wasn't even on the job at the time. And I was only in charge because I spoke a lil spanish. Trust me when I say... I was treated like a slave owner until I could prove otherwise. 

Most of those guys worked hard to support their families. Both here and back in their home country. But every now and then, you get a bad apple.

I don't have a problem with a path to citizenship for those who have established themselves already. But for those who have habitually broken our laws and taken advantage our system... No thank you.

16 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Most of those guys worked hard to support their families. Both here and back in their home country. But every now and then, you get a bad apple.

I don't have a problem with a path to citizenship for those who have established themselves already. But for those who have habitually broken our laws and taken advantage our system... No thank you.

I think 90% of the country can probably agree on this common sense approach.

Too bad people have been brainwashed into worshipping their respective political parties, as if those politicians actually care about them 

1 hour ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

Too bad people have been brainwashed into worshipping their respective political parties, as if those politicians actually care about them 

Common sense is becoming a rarity. Brainwashed is a good term for the lack of it. Govt is not the answer to the common man's questions. 

"Salvation lies within" - Shawshank Redemption 

4 hours ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

Too bad we have people like you that, while not too bright, constantly tries to denigrate people. Every post contains attacks on groups of people you know nothing about, and displayed with a superiority complex that can only be described as legendary disillusion. Maybe we can setup a swap program with other countries. We will take whoever we can get in an even swap for you. Citizenship for citizenship. Anyone that reads your childish posts can agree on that plan.

Not everyone in the world can be an American. I still believe being an American is honorable and unique. When it gets watered down by the libs who hate the American people, it won’t mean squat. Biden and his bow down to the world approach, just like Obama, makes us weak. I liked the “America First” approach by Trump.