Lamar Basketball 2023-2024 Season

snakehead26

On 11/2/2023 at 12:10 PM, snakehead26 said:

Well I know it is just an exhibition game but took overtime to edge St. Thomas  71-70

We shall see.  Blew out a bad NAIA team and then played it respectably close I guess against a mediocre SMU team.  We shall see.  Probably a make or break year for this staff if I had to guess. 

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

We shall see.  Blew out a bad NAIA team and then played it respectably close I guess against a mediocre SMU team.  We shall see.  Probably a make or break year for this staff if I had to guess. 

Yeah Lamar never lead this game and at  it was 67-48. with 7:36 to play.

I wish the program all the luck in the world but I am still disappointed the way Tic Price was treated. As I posted below Tic is back in administration with the Southland Conference.

I believe to be successful again Lamar will need to take a new approach to hiring the next head coach. 12-50 record since Alvin came on.

1 hour ago, snakehead26 said:

Yeah Lamar never lead this game and at  it was 67-48. with 7:36 to play.

I wish the program all the luck in the world but I am still disappointed the way Tic Price was treated. As I posted below Tic is back in administration with the Southland Conference.

I believe to be successful again Lamar will need to take a new approach to hiring the next head coach. 12-50 record since Alvin came on.

Agreed.  Tic didn’t deserve the treatment he got.  But I’m not sure Marco did anything well in his short tenure as AD.  I am hoping this is the year they figure it out. A guy can hope lol

I agree that Marco was not a good AD. He hired a softball coach that can’t win, he did not get rid of the baseball coach that players can’t stand and post season tournament record is really bad, got rid of Harmony and Price. Women’s basketball has certainly slipped since they let her go and Price’s teams at least competed. 
I will say the new AD appears to have made a good hire in football. They have a chance to finish 6-5 or 7-4

Maybe Brooks team will be better this year

On 11/10/2023 at 5:02 PM, spidersal said:

I agree that Marco was not a good AD. He hired a softball coach that can’t win, he did not get rid of the baseball coach that players can’t stand and post season tournament record is really bad, got rid of Harmony and Price. Women’s basketball has certainly slipped since they let her go and Price’s teams at least competed. 
I will say the new AD appears to have made a good hire in football. They have a chance to finish 6-5 or 7-4

Maybe Brooks team will be better this year

Well tonight is the best I’ve seen them play under the Brooks regime.  Also the best crowd we’ve had in a while in a big win over UTSA.  I don’t know if the Roadrunners are going to be very good or not, but it’s still a game we would have pissed away in the past couple of years.  Hopefully a harbinger of things to come.  We shall see. 

Going to lose a heartbreaker on the road.  Led as much as 18.  With a 1 point lead and the ball with 30 seconds left (where they basically had to foul), Lamar inbounds and gets trapped and fail to call timeout.  Get tied up and they had possession.  Hit the game winner.  Sometimes there is some head scratching stuff going on with that team. Basketball 101 type of stuff.  Pacific steals on 77-76.  Never should have happened.  The last basket gave them their only lead of the game. 

3 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Interesting notes, former NBA great Reggie Theus coaches Bethune Cookman and my all time favorite author, John Feinstein is the color guy for Longwood basketball. 

Yes, I saw that Reggie was the coach there. I was actually searching Bethune-Cookman to see what conference they were in and stumbled across that.

I also try to check some of the power ratings services to see how the teams we are playing are rated. Of course, it is very early in the season for really meaningful ratings.

Same Lamar mens Basketball team under achieving under Brooks. They can only beat the weak teams, and D2 or NAIA

Getting kicked by Longwood today. Pretty poor basketball  Has anyone ever heard of Longwood?

If the new AD does his job Brooks, the SB coach, and Baseball coach will be replaced 

Obviously these 3 can’t get the job done, however I am afraid the Lamar administration doesn’t care

2 hours ago, spidersal said:

Same Lamar mens Basketball team under achieving under Brooks. They can only beat the weak teams, and D2 or NAIA

Getting kicked by Longwood today. Pretty poor basketball  Has anyone ever heard of Longwood?

If the new AD does his job Brooks, the SB coach, and Baseball coach will be replaced 

Obviously these 3 can’t get the job done, however I am afraid the Lamar administration doesn’t care

You’re wrong about the administration caring.  Dr Taylor at least very much cares.  But I can’t find fault with most of what you said.  The game today wasn’t even as close as the score.  Longwood’s coach is Griff Aldrich, who used to practice law in Houston.  However, he’s got a good thing going at Longwood.  They won 20 games last year and 26 games the year before. He’s in his 6th year in his first and only head coaching job.  I think they are pretty happy with the direction of their program.  Hopefully we will be one day. 

On 11/26/2023 at 2:06 PM, snakehead26 said:

Lamar beats Delaware State in OT today 84-81

Nice to finish 2-1.  But I thought that game was a step back.  That was a team playing 3 guards 30 plus minutes at the end of a 3 games in 3 days stretch.  Should have honestly beaten them by 20+ and were lucky to escape with a win.  Still, I will take a bad win over a good loss.