Lamar Basketball 2023-2024 Season

snakehead26

12 hours ago, spidersal said:

Poor Lamar Mens basketball has fallen on hard times under Brooks. They competed much better under Price. Have they beaten one decent team this season and the answer is NO

Depending on the definition of "decent," I would say UTSA has the potential to be decent.  I watched both of the games with the Roadrunners, and they have some talent.  I thought they were pretty poorly coached.  It amazes me how virtually no adjustments are made in game.

And I was lambasted on here for defending Tic during his last season.  The Cards won two conference tournament games that year, one against a good Sam team before losing to Abilene Christian who went on to beat UT in March Madness.  For those keeping track, we haven't been back to a conference tournament since, after back to back last place conference finishes.

I stand by my statement that Coach Price was the third best coach in Lamar basketball history since the Pecker Tech days, behind the obvious two legends.  Of course, the great Marco Borne saw fit to fire the man (the day after telling him he would get to coach the last year of his contract).  In fairness, Borne did so on his way to rehab so who knows what his mindset was.  Needless to say, ended up being a final parting gift as he promptly followed Tic out the door after making a final hire or two.  Good news is I am fully confident our current AD.  

On 12/5/2023 at 10:06 AM, TxHoops said:

Depending on the definition of "decent," I would say UTSA has the potential to be decent.  I watched both of the games with the Roadrunners, and they have some talent.  I thought they were pretty poorly coached.  It amazes me how virtually no adjustments are made in game.

And I was lambasted on here for defending Tic during his last season.  The Cards won two conference tournament games that year, one against a good Sam team before losing to Abilene Christian who went on to beat UT in March Madness.  For those keeping track, we haven't been back to a conference tournament since, after back to back last place conference finishes.

I stand by my statement that Coach Price was the third best coach in Lamar basketball history since the Pecker Tech days, behind the obvious two legends.  Of course, the great Marco Borne saw fit to fire the man (the day after telling him he would get to coach the last year of his contract).  In fairness, Borne did so on his way to rehab so who knows what his mindset was.  Needless to say, ended up being a final parting gift as he promptly followed Tic out the door after making a final hire or two.  Good news is I am fully confident our current AD.  

Brooks has been a disappointing hire to say the least. He had a poor record in Houston in the mid 90s. He seems like a good assistant but not head coaching material.

I've had nothing but good things to say about Tic in his Lamar days. They threw him in when Knight had the team all messed up and you can tell the man knows his stuff.

The sooner the AD moves on to a new hire the better for Lamar. Since Pat Foster left in '86 it's pretty much been 40 years of nothing but futility.

One from the good old days

2 hours ago, snakehead26 said:

Brooks has been a disappointing hire to say the least. He had a poor record in Houston in the mid 90s. He seems like a good assistant but not head coaching material.

I've had nothing but good things to say about Tic in his Lamar days. They threw him in when Knight had the team all messed up and you can tell the man knows his stuff.

The sooner the AD moves on to a new hire the better for Lamar. Since Pat Foster left in '86 it's pretty much been 40 years of nothing but futility.

Yeah, not sure what the thinking is when someone can’t win at a program like U of H.  Then again, not sure how much thinking Borne did in general. 

On 12/6/2023 at 2:34 PM, snakehead26 said:

Pat Foster was so underrated as a coach that it's ridiculous. I remember that Duke game well. The Cards outplayed them for most of it. 

6 minutes ago, snakehead26 said:

Lamar falls to Southern Miss tonight at home 82-79.

Final game before Christmas will be Thursday night at LSU.

Not surprised honestly with their stud guard being cleared to play. What was Andre Curbelo stat line??  Did he play a ton of minutes for USM?

21 hours ago, spidersal said:

I am watching Lamar vs LSU game. It looks like a HS vs a junior high. Lamar is absolutely horrible Lamar has to get rid of these coaches, they are having a hard time beating the bad teams. They will be close to cellar dwellers in the SLC

I disagree with the cellar dwellers.

they ll be middle of the pack.

Defense (defending the 3 especially) is where they are lacking which is odd giving Brooks coming from U of H.

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Lamar with a win over northwestern 90-70 on Saturday.  Covered the 1O.5

1-0 in conference 😁  hopefully 2-0 after tonight

Lamar plays IW tonight

I went to this game. Cards looked good, particularly on defense.

Will attend the McNeese game when it's in Beaumont