Chris Babin named new AD/HC at Lumberton

What a great post! WOSgrad had restored my faith in humanity.

I am looking at all of these posts and I simply cannot believe all of the vitriol being directed at Chris Babin.

First of all, this is not intended to be a shot at Larry Haynes as he is a good coach and just as good of a man. Folks, may be upset at Coach Haynes' dismissal, but how is that Coach Babin's fault? All he did was attempt to move up from a position at a 3A, Division I school to a 5A school. If folks are that mad at the Lumberton ISD, then they need to send them a message at the ballot box, but do not look for Coach Babin to fail (or even worse, wish him to). As whoever the coach is, the desires of Lumberton for a winning team, as well as the fortunes of several young men, are tied to that coach's success.

I have also seen folks question Coach Babin's record while at Scarborough, Deweyville and Warren. Come on! Scarborough? Anybody who really needs to wonder what the problem is over there, I'll just send you the West Orange-Stark game tape. And while Deweyville and Warren are teams which are replete with kids who work their butts off, they both suffer the problem of being outsized both in student population and size on the field. Anyway, you cannot judge a Coach's record at another school. Heck, Cornel Thompson, coach of the 2014 Class 4A, Division II runner up, was 2-8 in his stint as in his first head coaching job at Palestine (Coach T, I am so sorry about the reminder and I know a Mustang Mile is in my near future!). But good coaches don't always have good records at every stop along the way!

Finally, I hear the concern that Coach Babin is some sort of vagabond coach that will jump from job to job at the drop of the hat. He had a chance to get out of a bad situation at Scarborough and he took it. He had a chance at Deweyville to move to a bigger school in Warren so he took that opportunity and again took advantage of that situation in moving to Lumberton. PLUS, it was a chance for Coach Babin to return home to Lumberton. When Alvin Creduer did that a few years back, he was hailed as a conquering hero. Further, a number of coaches have jumped to the chance to coach at their alma maters. Why is it that Coach Babin is the one ridiculed for that?

I can't promise that Chris Babin will have any more success at Lumberton than any other coach. But let's hold off on the lynch mob before he has even conducted his first practice at the school!

I haven't heard of one important kid that is leaving due to Babin's hiring. The bottom line is that the kids loved Haynes and were upset when he was let go. That's totally normal and speaks to what a great man/coach he is/was. As to the board agenda drama posts, in my opinion, there was a chance to bring back a coach they think will be around for an extended period and do well to boot. There wasn't an agenda against Haynes as he had the team headed in the right direction. It was a timing issue. Haynes isn't going to coach forever. He's retired once already. He was paid. Also, I'm hearing Babin will get to carry a larger coaching staff while retaining some of last year's staff. Babin had a chance to advance his career and come home. It was a no brainer. Some of these posts should be in the National Enquirer.

I think what spoonbill meant to say is, that all kids are important but he doesn't see any "impact" players leaving. And if any did leave, they were already looking for an excuse to leave and now they have it. The kids that have played on varsity for the last 1-2 years will likely stick together and try to accomplish something special.

I haven't heard of one important kid that is leaving due to Babin's hiring. The bottom line is that the kids loved Haynes and were upset when he was let go. That's totally normal and speaks to what a great man/coach he is/was. As to the board agenda drama posts, in my opinion, there was a chance to bring back a coach they think will be around for an extended period and do well to boot. There wasn't an agenda against Haynes as he had the team headed in the right direction. It was a timing issue. Haynes isn't going to coach forever. He's retired once already. He was paid. Also, I'm hearing Babin will get to carry a larger coaching staff while retaining some of last year's staff. Babin had a chance to advance his career and come home. It was a no brainer. Some of these posts should be in the National Enquirer.

I think what spoonbill meant to say is, that all kids are important but he doesn't see any "impact" players leaving. And if any did leave, they were already looking for an excuse to leave and now they have it. The kids that have played on varsity for the last 1-2 years will likely stick together and try to accomplish something special.

what do you mean by something special?

Well first of all, I do believe Lumberton will have a decent year this year and also next. Coach Babin is inheriting a team on the rise. My only problem is the way Lumberton won't create a stable atmosphere, there is always that one or two groups that think if a coach doesn't win big immediately then it's time to run them out on a rail. As far as rumors that Haynes wanted to move to another school, I haven't heard anything like that the only coach Haynes I know moving is Kellen who is coming back to Westbrook. Personally I hope Babin does well and frankly I'm considering running for the school board to try and foster some stability for these kids, just hope being an Independent doesn't hurt me. All of our teams that have had long term coaching personnel perform well even when the job was passed to a new person, the proof is in the pudding.

Spot on, Ole' Skool
The agenda was intensified when the Lumberton board found out that Larry wanted out for Hardin. Yarbro and son was about ready to pack up & head to Hornet Land. We didn't care much for Babin, no way. He'll enjoy plenty of 1-9 / 2-8 seasons at Lumberton. I hope we hire somebody passionate and faithful this next go 'round.

Haynes never even applied at Hardin, so they ran him outta town based on a rumor.

So why wouldn't they let Haynes carry a full staff but now when Babin comes in they let him hire new spots all the sudden. That right there shows the people pulling the strings didn't want to give Haynes a fair shot or do what is supposed to be done. How else can you explain them creating positions for one guy but taking them away from another. So these people who are Principals / Superintendents / Board Members can't honestly say they were doing there jobs with the students in that community's best interest. If you hire a coach he begs for more coaches and you make him coach with only 1 offensive varsity assistant coach, then he has a better season than the last 3 combined, Seniors all coming back, so lets fire him, bring in a new guy(not to bash Babin but fact is he has 140 less wins than Haynes) as an apparent upgrade, then say ok now that Haynes is gone you can hire a full staff. If that doesn't prove that someone who is making the decisions has extremely low character, and has a personal agenda that comes before doing right by the Students you are hired to serve, then everyone on this site is just playing nice and lying to themselves. How can you be in Administration and ask a coach to labor with ONLY 4 varsity assistants in 5A football in TEXAS then fire him and allow the next guy to bring in a full staff, and honestly say to yourself I'm good at my job and operate with type of ethics that student athletes can aspire to. That administration has some serious bipolar tendencies to say the least.  

The Hardin job had zero to do with Haynes being reassigned then eventually resigned.

I strongly disagree and know details from both sides. Weren't you one of the biggest mouths on here informing the masses that Haynes was returning to Hardin? Once again, We didn't mind seeing Babin go. We'll get a guy that wants to win and build the program.

I strongly disagree and know details from both sides. Weren't you one of the biggest mouths on here informing the masses that Haynes was returning to Hardin? Once again, We didn't mind seeing Babin go. We'll get a guy that wants to win and build the program.

Unbelievable! Smdh

Just an FYI, Coach Babin was at the hospital along with several teammates and other coaches to show support for Lumberton's all-district tight end that was injured Friday night in a bad car wreck within an hour of it happening. He knows the majority of the kids from their middle school days. I've been told he is expected to make a full recovery and is home resting.

Got my info from a person that was suppose to be "in the know" in regards to Hardin. Won't make that mistake again. ;)

So why wouldn't they let Haynes carry a full staff but now when Babin comes in they let him hire new spots all the sudden. That right there shows the people pulling the strings didn't want to give Haynes a fair shot or do what is supposed to be done. How else can you explain them creating positions for one guy but taking them away from another. So these people who are Principals / Superintendents / Board Members can't honestly say they were doing there jobs with the students in that community's best interest. If you hire a coach he begs for more coaches and you make him coach with only 1 offensive varsity assistant coach, then he has a better season than the last 3 combined, Seniors all coming back, so lets fire him, bring in a new guy(not to bash Babin but fact is he has 140 less wins than Haynes) as an apparent upgrade, then say ok now that Haynes is gone you can hire a full staff. If that doesn't prove that someone who is making the decisions has extremely low character, and has a personal agenda that comes before doing right by the Students you are hired to serve, then everyone on this site is just playing nice and lying to themselves. How can you be in Administration and ask a coach to labor with ONLY 4 varsity assistants in 5A football in TEXAS then fire him and allow the next guy to bring in a full staff, and honestly say to yourself I'm good at my job and operate with type of ethics that student athletes can aspire to. That administration has some serious bipolar tendencies to say the least.  

Babin will start off with the same # of staff positions that Haynes started with.  The way that a coach, S.I. and principal work together on maintaining those staff positions is up to those 3 individuals.

What's done is done ! Haynes is gone and Babin is the new coach at Lumberton. I completely understand that some like it and others don't but its time to move on now. With all the drama about the Lumberton School Board and politics in the recent years you still have to get past it for the kids on the team. Sometimes they don't understand the politics at their age , they just want to play ball and enjoy these years which can never be replaced. Crueder and Haynes are good coaches but just because of the past doesnt mean that Raider Nation should'nt embrace the future. Negativity has a snowball effect , be positive Raider fans.

this is the national enquirer -- isn't it?  

Got my info from a person that was suppose to be "in the know" in regards to Hardin. Won't make that mistake again. ;)

It is just like any other business...  until and unless you have worked in a school system to see how things are done, you will never understand the politics that go on in something like this.  I got out of the school man years ago because of it.  This board (SETXSPORTS) Is for rumors and 'i hope this happens' believers.  Without knowing the underbelly of all of these moves is purely speculation.  I have no dog in this hunt, i do not know any of these people personally - but i am a fan of sports and of good stories.   I hate to know that somewhere along the way a great story gets interrupted by a personal agenda....  Coach Crayder was run out of town for a personal agenda.  So was Haynes.  I wish Coach Babin all the luck in the world, but I hate the way it went down and I think there are quite a few of you who also think that.

I personally think that people should not be allowed to be on the school board if they have kids in school.  I know board members will still probably make decisions that are bias toward certain issues...but that would help.

Hiring a coach that wasn't 1-9 at his previous stop would probably help too. Makes you wonder if the emphasis is more in winning or being comfortable? That can be said for a lot of SETX schools to be fair though.