Next WO-S Head Football Coach.....COACH THOMPSON IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

In my opinion, I think at this point, knowing who the other applicants are would do more harm than good. As we have seen throughout this topic, not all of us are thinking or acting intelligently. Some have allowed their emotions to cloud clear thinking. Not speaking of anyone in particular (if the shoe fits......), but the board may be thinking this as well.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="marshman" post="997382" timestamp="1302807139"]
I have been quietly following this thread since I no longer live in Orange and don't have a dog in this fight, however I will say this.  I graduated from WO-S in 1984 when we were still a strong and proud 5A school.  I left Orange in 1989 and joined the service. I haven't lived there since but have always still followed closely the things happening at WO-S and the Orange area.  While I understand the need to accept applications and to interview others, the decision of who the next HC/AD should be should have been decided the day Coach Hooks announced his retirement even though it would have to remain a secret until hiring formalities had been completed. To me it doesn't matter who else applied, the one most deserving for the position is Coach Thompson.  He has been at the heart of Mustang athletics far to long to be passed over.  At one time I would have loved for my sons to have played football at WO-S had I stayed in Orange, but with the direction the school has taken the last 10-15 years I am not so sure about that.  One thing I am sure of however is that I agree with some of the other post that states this decision could effect the complete future of the district.  I could very well see WO-S being a 2A school in the next 3-5 years if the decision is a bad one.  I think most of us will agree that sadly many kids stay in school only to plays sports and successful sports programs will keep them around for that.  And as far as those not playing sports with the recent academic history of WO-S, its not easy to miss the fact a lot of parents would consider moving to other districts close by where a better quality education can be obtained.  Sorry if that last statement angers anyone, and its one I as a grad of WO-S hates to make, but academics there are not the same as when I was there. Sometimes and outsider can see things those involved within cannot.  It is what it is...
[/quote]

Academics are what you make of them. I'm also a product of WOS and an 84 graduate. All three of my kids go to school at WOS and they are getting a great education. I would put their grades and TAKS scores against anyones. Not saying they would be better just saying that they are comparable to kids at other schools. My wife and I make sure of it.

[quote name="td" post="997394" timestamp="1302809161"]
[quote author=marshman link=topic=82860.msg997382#msg997382 date=1302807139]
I have been quietly following this thread since I no longer live in Orange and don't have a dog in this fight, however I will say this.  I graduated from WO-S in 1984 when we were still a strong and proud 5A school.  I left Orange in 1989 and joined the service. I haven't lived there since but have always still followed closely the things happening at WO-S and the Orange area.  While I understand the need to accept applications and to interview others, the decision of who the next HC/AD should be should have been decided the day Coach Hooks announced his retirement even though it would have to remain a secret until hiring formalities had been completed. To me it doesn't matter who else applied, the one most deserving for the position is Coach Thompson.  He has been at the heart of Mustang athletics far to long to be passed over.  At one time I would have loved for my sons to have played football at WO-S had I stayed in Orange, but with the direction the school has taken the last 10-15 years I am not so sure about that.  One thing I am sure of however is that I agree with some of the other post that states this decision could effect the complete future of the district.  I could very well see WO-S being a 2A school in the next 3-5 years if the decision is a bad one.  I think most of us will agree that sadly many kids stay in school only to plays sports and successful sports programs will keep them around for that.  And as far as those not playing sports with the recent academic history of WO-S, its not easy to miss the fact a lot of parents would consider moving to other districts close by where a better quality education can be obtained.  Sorry if that last statement angers anyone, and its one I as a grad of WO-S hates to make, but academics there are not the same as when I was there. Sometimes and outsider can see things those involved within cannot.  It is what it is...
[/quote]

Academics are what you make of them. I'm also a product of WOS and an 84 graduate. All three of my kids go to school at WOS and they are getting a great education. I would put their grades and TAKS scores against anyones. Not saying they would be better just saying that they are comparable to kids at other schools. My wife and I make sure of it.
[/quote]

That is a very good post.  Education starts at home.  My mother was a teacher at WO-S for many years and as the years passed she got less and less support from parents.

[quote name="td" post="997394" timestamp="1302809161"]
[quote author=marshman link=topic=82860.msg997382#msg997382 date=1302807139]
I have been quietly following this thread since I no longer live in Orange and don't have a dog in this fight, however I will say this.  I graduated from WO-S in 1984 when we were still a strong and proud 5A school.  I left Orange in 1989 and joined the service. I haven't lived there since but have always still followed closely the things happening at WO-S and the Orange area.  While I understand the need to accept applications and to interview others, the decision of who the next HC/AD should be should have been decided the day Coach Hooks announced his retirement even though it would have to remain a secret until hiring formalities had been completed. To me it doesn't matter who else applied, the one most deserving for the position is Coach Thompson.  He has been at the heart of Mustang athletics far to long to be passed over.  At one time I would have loved for my sons to have played football at WO-S had I stayed in Orange, but with the direction the school has taken the last 10-15 years I am not so sure about that.  One thing I am sure of however is that I agree with some of the other post that states this decision could effect the complete future of the district.  I could very well see WO-S being a 2A school in the next 3-5 years if the decision is a bad one.  I think most of us will agree that sadly many kids stay in school only to plays sports and successful sports programs will keep them around for that.  And as far as those not playing sports with the recent academic history of WO-S, its not easy to miss the fact a lot of parents would consider moving to other districts close by where a better quality education can be obtained.  Sorry if that last statement angers anyone, and its one I as a grad of WO-S hates to make, but academics there are not the same as when I was there. Sometimes and outsider can see things those involved within cannot.  It is what it is...
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with you about academics being what you make them, and I'm sure you and your wife ensure your kids are doing what there supposed to do to get a decent education.  There in lies part of the problem, your doing as parents whats neccessary, however it appears many other parents are not. They may say they are, but I doubt as many are taking an active role in thier childrens education as you are.  As we all know, education begins at home. I wasn't saying a decent educaton was not to be had at WO-S, but if you look at the overall situation it has declined since we were there.  I'm sure there are plenty of qualified teachers still there as they were before who want to see kids do well.  

I could not agree with you more on the academics.  Any district's academics are what our kids and parents make of it.  Those of us from WO-S understand (more than anyone else, I think) why our "academics" get a bad rap.  WO-S, until now, have been comparable to other schools.  Historically, we have had a pretty good number of courses that our students could take (co-op) and get college credits and AP courses.  My son graduated in 2007 as Salutatorian and completed his calculus course as an independent study course.  Coach T and our other core coaches pushed him as much as I did, to achieve this goal.  

I understand that we may not have the "right" to know who the other four candidates are, but if this was the plan, then I don't understand why "transparency" was ever intertwined in this process by Superintendent Colbert.  

mustangproud...I don't know who you are, but I will say this... while there might be athletes who are identified in middle school as talented, there are many throughout middle school, 9th, 10th and 11th grades who earn their time on the field, track, court, etc.  It is the coaches' jobs to identify talent and build on it.  Of course, we as parents, want our kids to excel at anything they do, but sometimes...it just doesn't work out that way.  Besides, coaches do not just spend their times developing "talented" kids...probably half of the battle is getting kids "COACHABLE"...that starts at home with parents teaching discipline and respect.

[quote name="stang4life" post="997422" timestamp="1302811285"]
I could not agree with you more on the academics.  Any district's academics are what our kids and parents make of it.  Those of us from WO-S understand (more than anyone else, I think) why our "academics" get a bad rap.  WO-S, until now, have been comparable to other schools.  Historically, we have had a pretty good number of courses that our students could take (co-op) and get college credits and AP courses.  My son graduated in 2007 as Salutatorian and completed his calculus course as an independent study course.  [b]Coach T and our other core coaches pushed him as much as I did, to achieve this goal.[/b]  

I understand that we may not have the "right" to know who the other four candidates are, but if this was the plan, then I don't understand why "transparency" was ever intertwined in this process by Superintendent Colbert.  

mustangproud...I don't know who you are, but I will say this... while there might be athletes who are identified in middle school as talented, there are many throughout middle school, 9th, 10th and 11th grades who earn their time on the field, track, court, etc.  It is the coaches' jobs to identify talent and build on it.  Of course, we as parents, want our kids to excel at anything they do, but sometimes...it just doesn't work out that way.  Besides, coaches do not just spend their times developing "talented" kids...probably half of the battle is getting kids "COACHABLE"...that starts at home with parents teaching discipline and respect.
[/quote]

Very true statement....I never played foootball but I would get dropped off early and I would go to study hall every morning and Coach Thompson, Mark Foreman (awesome person) and other coaches would help me out with homework or study as much as their football players. 

[quote name="td" post="997326" timestamp="1302799897"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=82860.msg997278#msg997278 date=1302794035]
And td, it shouldn't be left to rumor.  Those taxpayers and patrons of Mustangs games, who pay Colbert's salary and will pay the salary of the new coach, have a perfect right to know who this committee is considering as the athletic director of this school district.  The rumors are flying because this committee has made NOTHING known.  Tho public has been given nothing to judge and see whether this committee has chosen the best candidate.

I'll say this about Erick Guillory, I think he is a snake that is in on this, but at least he been willing to interact with the public on the matter. However, the committee as a whole has failed to act with the "transparency" that was promised by Mr. Colbert.  Until that changes, they themselves are fostering the belief that this is not on the up and up.  
[/quote]

There is a lot in your statement that I absolutely agree with. I think it would be nice to know who the candidates are also. It's times like this that I feel compelled to hold my tongue just because I'm running for the school board. However, that's not my style. Never has been, never will be. You having a RIGHT to know is absurd. Our only rights are found under the FOI act and no one is begrudging us that. That's like telling a cop he can't give you a ticket because you pay his salary. The public votes on the board, the board hires the Super, he recommends the AD then the board has to approve that decision. What you are wanting to do is micro-manage and that's never a good idea. Don't take what I'm saying as being on a different page as most of yall on here. I just think sometimes we think we are owed more than what we really are. We hire people to do a job. Let's let them do that job. If something is not on the up and up then there is a committee to stop it and if that doesn't happen then there is yet another line of defense and that is the school board that can also stop it. I understand the lack of confidence in the school board but if this thing goes in a different direction than we are all thinking, then there will be not only the Super, but the committee and the school board to hold accountable.

[/quote]

Place this post in bold letters and delete all the rest in this thread. 

[quote name="Slam14" post="997483" timestamp="1302819664"]
[quote author=td link=topic=82860.msg997326#msg997326 date=1302799897]
And td, it shouldn't be left to rumor.  Those taxpayers and patrons of Mustangs games, who pay Colbert's salary and will pay the salary of the new coach, have a perfect right to know who this committee is considering as the athletic director of this school district.  The rumors are flying because this committee has made NOTHING known.  Tho public has been given nothing to judge and see whether this committee has chosen the best candidate.

I'll say this about Erick Guillory, I think he is a snake that is in on this, but at least he been willing to interact with the public on the matter. However, the committee as a whole has failed to act with the "transparency" that was promised by Mr. Colbert.  Until that changes, they themselves are fostering the belief that this is not on the up and up.  
[/quote]

There is a lot in your statement that I absolutely agree with. I think it would be nice to know who the candidates are also. It's times like this that I feel compelled to hold my tongue just because I'm running for the school board. However, that's not my style. Never has been, never will be. You having a RIGHT to know is absurd. Our only rights are found under the FOI act and no one is begrudging us that. That's like telling a cop he can't give you a ticket because you pay his salary. The public votes on the board, the board hires the Super, he recommends the AD then the board has to approve that decision. What you are wanting to do is micro-manage and that's never a good idea. Don't take what I'm saying as being on a different page as most of yall on here. I just think sometimes we think we are owed more than what we really are. We hire people to do a job. Let's let them do that job. If something is not on the up and up then there is a committee to stop it and if that doesn't happen then there is yet another line of defense and that is the school board that can also stop it. I understand the lack of confidence in the school board but if this thing goes in a different direction than we are all thinking, then there will be not only the Super, but the committee and the school board to hold accountable.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well T, you and I usually agree on most things. Even now, I agree with everything you say. I don't feel like it's my "right" to know. However, when Colbert tells the media about this being a "transparent" process, then it turns out to be anything but that. It's going to give people cause for concern.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="997493" timestamp="1302821219"]
[quote author=Slam14 link=topic=82860.msg997483#msg997483 date=1302819664]
And td, it shouldn't be left to rumor.  Those taxpayers and patrons of Mustangs games, who pay Colbert's salary and will pay the salary of the new coach, have a perfect right to know who this committee is considering as the athletic director of this school district.  The rumors are flying because this committee has made NOTHING known.  Tho public has been given nothing to judge and see whether this committee has chosen the best candidate.

I'll say this about Erick Guillory, I think he is a snake that is in on this, but at least he been willing to interact with the public on the matter. However, the committee as a whole has failed to act with the "transparency" that was promised by Mr. Colbert.  Until that changes, they themselves are fostering the belief that this is not on the up and up.  
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well T, you and I usually agree on most things. Even now, I agree with everything you say. I don't feel like it's my "right" to know. However, when Colbert tells the media about this being a "transparent" process, then it turns out to be anything but that. It's going to give people cause for concern.

[/quote]

I could not agree more.  Colbert made it seem like this was going to be open book but this whole processs has been left to rumor.

If at the end of the process, we find that it was a strategic plan to hire a certain "kind" of person, there is only one word for that.  At it's not one that society likes to deal with.  BUT, I don't hide under a rock.  I will wait to see if the SUPERINTENDANT allows (quietly drives) this process to be twisted away from a "no-brainer" decision to a certain "choice" of person.... That will not sit well with me, nor should it ANYONE.

[quote name="wosmustangs" post="997566" timestamp="1302836436"]
If at the end of the process, we find that it was a strategic plan to hire a certain "kind" of person, there is only one word for that.  At it's not one that society likes to deal with.  BUT, I don't hide under a rock.  I will wait to see if the SUPERINTENDANT allows (quietly drives) this process to be twisted away from a "no-brainer" decision to a certain "choice" of person.... That will not sit well with me, nor should it ANYONE.
[/quote]

that is EXACTLY whats going to happen!

[quote name="Gasilla" post="997493" timestamp="1302821219"]
[quote author=Slam14 link=topic=82860.msg997483#msg997483 date=1302819664]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let me play devils advocate. What if there is a candidate that has asked that his name not be revealed? Maybe this is the reason that the names aren't being released. I'm not saying that's the reason I'm asking you to think outside of the bo and not crucify the Super when there may be another reason. Personally I don't know. What I don't want to hapen is that in the end. Coach T does get this job and then you have put out a bunch of negative statements that are not built around facts and then you have to live with that. No apolgy will be acceptable at that point. I'm just asking that we give the process a chance. You can choose to believe the rumors and the whispers if you want to. At the end of the day all we can do is give our opinion to the board members and the committee members. Spewing negativity on a message board doesn't Add anything to this process and only does damage to our district. My only goal is to stop the negativity.

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="997634" timestamp="1302874130"]
Who knows with them.   ::)  The SUPER hired a Committee of people to help out. There are 6 Finalists now. Get this, out of the 6 left for the job the Committee will vote and the 2 out of the 6 with the highest Votes will be the final 2, then the SUPER will hire out of those 2. Lovely A?  ::)
[/quote]

How would you have handle this process. Hell, the only way yall see this could have been done right is to ignore the rules and laws of the process and hire Coach T. That is just ridiculous and would have our behinds in plenty of hot water. I'm all for Coach T getting this job, however, there is a process that must be followed.

Please let me know how you would have handled this process Coop since you think having a committee wasn't a good idea.

Well, let's just lay this out.  The WO-S alumni support Cornel Thompson for the head coaching position, the Greater Orange community appears to support Cornel Thompson for the head coaching position, every coach that has weighed in to me about the position has indicated that Cornel Thompson should be the next head coach at WO-S.  For this committee not to place Cornel Thompson at the top of its list for this position would mean that this committee would have rejected the opinion of every reasonable cross section which can weigh in on this matter.

In answer to this after supposedly over 60 applications have been filed for this position, one of which we know to be Cornel Thompson, the Colbert Committee saw fit to go on a recruiting trip.  Two of the coaches known to have been contacted by this committee decided not to apply for the position with one of these candidates telling members of the committee his view of who should be the next coach.  That name....Cornel Thompson.

I have this morning heard of a third candidate that was recruited, purportedly by Mr. Colbert himself.  This candidate, if hired to be head coach, would have his third head high school coaching position in 3 years with a record at his 2 previous stops that does not as Mr. Guillory promised "blow me away." I guess in contacting him, Mr. Colbert forgot about his own goal of finding someone with some stability.

Ladies and gentlemen, I may very well be wrong in my conclusions about where the Colbert Committee may be going with this search.  But with the evidence from the very beginning which has been mounting, my misgivings about it are definitely reasonable.

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="997651" timestamp="1302877869"]
Why would you need a Committee if Coach Thompson was the one for the job? This shouldn't even be discussed. This is a no Brainer.
[/quote]

I didn't say it wasn't a no brainer. There is  a process that must be followed. Otherwise we will have all sorts of problems. Therefore I agree with the process. Time will tell if I agree with the end result. The process isn't an insult to Coach T. The only important thing is the end result. Yall are focusing on the process and if he gets the job in the end then shame on yall for spewing all of this negative crap.

[quote name="sportsman28" post="997652" timestamp="1302878496"]
Who is on the Committee and how was it selected?  And TD you should have been on that committee.  And by the way you are the "devil"...lol
[/quote]

Thanks Coach, have you been talking to Nancy again?

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="997654" timestamp="1302878509"]
Well, let's just lay this out.  The WO-S alumni support Cornel Thompson for the head coaching position, the Greater Orange community appears to support Cornel Thompson for the head coaching position, every coach that has weighed in to me about the position has indicated that Cornel Thompson should be the next head coach at WO-S.  For this committee not to place Cornel Thompson at the top of its list for this position would mean that this committee would have rejected the opinion of every reasonable cross section which can weigh in on this matter.

In answer to this after supposedly over 60 applications have been filed for this position, one of which we know to be Cornel Thompson, the Colbert Committee saw fit to go on a recruiting trip.  Two of the coaches known to have been contacted by this committee decided not to apply for the position with one of these candidates telling members of the committee his view of who should be the next coach.  That name....Cornel Thompson.

I have this morning heard of a third candidate that was recruited, purportedly by Mr. Colbert himself.  This candidate, if hired to be head coach, would have his third head high school coaching position in 3 years with a record at his 2 previous stops that does not as Mr. Guillory promised "blow me away." I guess in contacting him, Mr. Colbert forgot about his own goal of finding someone with some stability.

Ladies and gentlemen, I may very well be wrong in my conclusions about where the Colbert Committee may be going with this search.  But with the evidence from the very beginning which has been mounting, my misgivings about it are definitely reasonable.
[/quote] Very well said. Coach T has earned this! He has buildt this program what it is today and now it's HIS time. Why go searching across the State? Hmmm

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="997657" timestamp="1302878805"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=82860.msg997654#msg997654 date=1302878509]

[/quote] Very well said. Coach T has earned this! He has buildt this program what it is today and now it's HIS time. Why go searching across the State? Hmmm
[/quote]

As I understand it they had to open it up. If that is wrong then I will agree with you but when he and Toby both applied the job had to be posted.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder