Next WO-S Head Football Coach.....COACH THOMPSON IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Like Grad, I would never dessert the community that raised me. I would challenge anyone to put in as many hours as I've put in giving back to this community. If you know me, then you know it's true. However, I will say this, this decision needs to be based on merit and ability and nothing else. Cornel has proven he has the ability over and over and has the track record to prove it. He knows the community, he knows the kids and he knows the parents. He is and always has been a good fit for the community and is a success. No telling where I would be today without this program and the coaches that run it.  

We can't let this decison be influenced by a pissed off parent who still, after 10 yrs, thinks their son had more ability than he really did. Or because they wanted to wear their hair a certain way. When you start making concessions to that end, then you start to tear down the foundation of this program. Any successful program, business or organization has a set of standards that must be met to be a part of it. If you don't want to conform then I say that maybe THEY are the ones that, "don't need to let the door hit them in the rear on the way out".

Mark my words... you let the naysayers have their way and this program is done in 5 yrs... maybe sooner. I love this program and this community with all of my heart, but I can also see the writing on the wall.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Gasilla" post="996394" timestamp="1302645110"]
Like Grad, I would never dessert the community that raised me. I would challenge anyone to put in as many hours as I've put in giving back to this community. If you know me, then you know it's true. However, I will say this, this decision needs to be based on merit and ability and nothing else. Cornel has proven he has the ability over and over and has the track record to prove it. He knows the community, he knows the kids and he knows the parents. He is and always has been a good fit for the community and is a success. No telling where I would be today without this program and the coaches that run it. 

We can't let this decison be influenced by a pissed off parent who still, after 10 yrs, thinks their son had more ability than he really did. Or because they wanted to wear their hair a certain way. When you start making concessions to that end, then you start to tear down the foundation of this program. Any successful program, business or organization has a set of standards that must be met to be a part of it. If you don't want to conform then I say that maybe THEY are the ones that, "don't need to let the door hit them in the rear on the way out".

Mark my words... you let the naysayers have their way and this program is done in 5 yrs... maybe sooner. I love this program and this community with all of my heart, but I can also see the writing on the wall.
[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="996354" timestamp="1302638762"]
The school board election is where change needs to be made, most people haven't figured that out. As far a people being in positions because of other things other than ability, well that has been going on with the program for a while. To much putting on friends and family and passing over people who are probably more qualified, so don't assume by what your hearing that, these people you are referring to are only being put in these positions because of anything other than ability. [b]It's giving these people the opportunities that they were constantly being passed over for[/b]. As I stated, I love coach Thompson. I don't want my comments to leave people thinking I have anything against him. I think he is a great coach, but as I stated there are some things that the new coach needs to be willing to do in order to bring this school and program to the next level. There are alot of good candidates and we want a great coach, but we also want someone who is going to care about every sport, every kid and give every kid the opportunity to succeed on and off the field. Kids don't need to be ran off from the school because they don't fit the stereotype of what a mustang player should look like. Every kid should get the opportunity to shine on the team , not just the player that you looked at when they were in the seventh grade and you decided, this is going to be my starter in high school...make them earn it, because this kid might not have gotten any better since, but the one you overlooked back then might have, but you will never notice because you are too busy having this picture of what this kid is going to be in your head that you can't see the superstar on the sidelines. This isn't directed at coach T, but there have been  some of that going on.

By the way, I'm a female.
[/quote]

maybe "these people" you speak of have been passed over for a reason. the problem with the majority of these kids is they were never taught to follow rules, be it society,home,or in school (if you disagree just travel to your local mall or wal-mart) so why on earth would we expect them to follow the rules the coaches put in place? teach your kids at home that if rules and laws arent followed there will be consequenses!

coach t deserves this position...it should be a no brainer. unfortunately i have a feeling that you will get a small group of people who will strong arm the powers that be into choosing on cridentials that coach t doesnt have.

There was a time a few years ago when most WO-S alumni, students, parents, and most anyone close to the school and/or football program believed it was a foregone conclusion that when Dan Hooks retired, Cornel would be waiting in the wings to assume the AD/HC job.  He has been Hooks' right hand man all these years, he is the most deserving, and most qualified to be hired as our next head coach.  I hate that this decision has less certainty than it once did.  If he is not promoted to the job he has EARNED, it will send WO-S down a path that will take many years to reverse.  If we promote Coach T, WO-S football will continue with an uninterrupted level of greateness that we have become accustomed to.  [i][b]Cornel Thompson IS WO-S football[/b][/i].  We cannot afford to have our new superintendent make the mistake of hiring someone else. 

One of the people on our superintendent's search committee is Eric Guillory.  He is a graduate of WO-S and his son plays on the football team.  I was informed that he is seeking input from people who are connected with WO-S in some way - not just anyone who lives in the district, but people such as season ticket holders, former football players, parents of current and former students, etc.  I am a season ticket holder who makes the two hour drive from Houston on Friday nights to watch the team play and have been doing so for 13 years.  My wholehearted support is for Cornel Thompson to be the next WO-S Head Coach.  If you have the same passion for Coach T, and fit the criteria of "WO-S identity" I've listed above, then send a text to Eric Guillory TODAY at 409-882-4718.

Everyone will have their opinions on who should get the job and can and will give there reasons, good and bad, but what really matters is the students and how this will affect them.  The athletic program as a whole has gone through many trials this year with the death of Reggie Garrett and many others.  The athletes and coaches have stuck together and made it through these many trials.  It would be a tragedy to bring in an outsider who didn't cry and grieve along with these young men and women throught-out this school year.  So in saying that I do feel that hiring from within is the best and only option for WOS.  However, hiring the most qualified person from within is just as important.  I do agree changes need to be made in the whole program and who better to do it than someone who sees it all first hand.  I feel that Dr. Colbert already knows what changes need to be made and no matter who is hired will make sure those changes happen.  WOS football has always been known for their discipline, I think this needs to be spread to the other sports in the program then other sports may see the kind of success football has had for many years.  Who better to make that happen than the one responisble for the discipline in the football program.  Yes that would be Coach Thompson.  I am not here to campaign for him because he doesn't need that, his credentials and character speak for themself.  I hope that the committee Dr. Colbert has put together doesn't treat this as a political race but rather the "[b]right choice[/b]" for WOS athletics. 

[b]Coach T 112%[/b]

[quote name="Go-rilla" post="996717" timestamp="1302668420"]
yall really just put that man's number on the internet!!! Wow!!! nice job moderator!!!
[/quote]

1.  griff is not a moderator

2.  From the description of the post, Mr. Guillory is actually soliciting input, so this is in no way outward.  It is not as if this was a post to harrass a committee member.

To you guys who say that the school will go down to a 1a. Could you guys explain how? I believe you guys should wait and see first before saying the sky is falling. Coach Thompson is a very good coach and if the superintendent would make the decision to go with another candidate I believe that person would have to be a very good coach also. In other words just wait and see.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="996724" timestamp="1302669996"]
[quote author=Go-rilla link=topic=82860.msg996717#msg996717 date=1302668420]
yall really just put that man's number on the internet!!! Wow!!! nice job moderator!!!
[/quote]

1.  griff is not a moderator

2.  From the description of the post, Mr. Guillory is actually soliciting input, so this is in no way outward.  It is not as if this was a post to harrass a committee member.
[/quote] Mine was sent a week ago!! Grad is correct, Guillory is wanting input!

[quote name="JohnnyT60" post="996385" timestamp="1302644561"]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=82860.msg996354#msg996354 date=1302638762]
The school board election is where change needs to be made, most people haven't figured that out. As far a people being in positions because of other things other than ability, well that has been going on with the program for a while. To much putting on friends and family and passing over people who are probably more qualified, so don't assume by what your hearing that, these people you are referring to are only being put in these positions because of anything other than ability. It's giving these people the opportunities that they were constantly being passed over for. As I stated, I love coach Thompson. I don't want my comments to leave people thinking I have anything against him. I think he is a great coach, but as I stated there are some things that the new coach needs to be willing to do in order to bring this school and program to the next level. There are alot of good candidates and we want a great coach, but we also want someone who is going to care about every sport, every kid and give every kid the opportunity to succeed on and off the field. [b]Kids don't need to be ran off from the school because they don't fit the stereotype of what a mustang player should look [/b] like. Every kid should get the opportunity to shine on the team , not just the player that you looked at when they were in the seventh grade and you decided, this is going to be my starter in high school...make them earn it, because this kid might not have gotten any better since, but the one you overlooked back then might have, but you will never notice because you are too busy having this picture of what this kid is going to be in your head that you can't see the superstar on the sidelines. This isn't directed at coach T, but there have been  some of that going on.

[/quote]

Are you talking about discipline or something else? Because if it's discipline, I have no problem with demanding discipline or exclusion.
[/quote]
In regards to the bolded quote above...I don't think talent evaluation has been an issue at WOS with the current regime! WOS has had more young men go on to earn more scholarships and many at the D1 level than any other school in this area. Most of those kids played and played well in college to. For one of the smaller schools it is quite impressive. So saying that the staff overlooks talent because of a stereotype is ridiculous. I would actually say it has been the other way around at WOS, they find the talent and help them to blossom.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="996201" timestamp="1302617688"]
For those of you who are saying you are gone if Cornell doesn't get the job needs to leave now. You are showing you are nothing more than a bandwagon Mustang fan who wasn't here for the kids and truly don't care about them. So if Cornell doesn't get the job, you can follow him wherever he goes. This is a hard decision for everyone who's having to make the decision and although it might be a no brainer for some of you, there are stipulations that needs to be met to get the school and program to the next level and the next head coach needs to be willing to do what is required of the job or they don't need to be at Wo-s. It's the same if a player or student doesn't want to do what's required they need to leave. Now I like both coach Thompson and Toby, but I care mostly about these kids and this school which I graduated from. There are some changes that need to be made and they will be made. If coach Thompson gets the job, then I will be happy, just like I will if Toby gets it, but they both need to be willing to do whatever is asked of them to move this school and program forward in the right direction. All of the community isn't leaning one way or the other. Opinions vary, I can tell you that. There are pros and cons with each candidate. So all of you who are willing to leave, all I need to ask you is, do you need help packing because we don't need fans like you. Don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out. This school will be fine regardless.
[/quote]

Whovere you are need to take you foot out of your mouith. You come on here bashing some of the most loyal fans that WOS has. Obviously because you became subjective instead of objective, you have a bone to pick with situation. i dont know who you are, and frankly dont care but dont come on here and bash us when you are a newbie. you want to call us bandwaggoners? I have been a fan since 1980, yeah the year i was born. I also played for WOS and have continued to support them my whole adult life. People like you have no business getting on a board bashing people. Give your opinion? Yes Bash us? No If you had the respect for Cornell or Toby you would understand what we are talking about. The ones that are saying this have reliable information of what is really going on in the situation. Its like something BISD would do. So you, my friend, Leave the board or whatever your mouth crapped out.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="996354" timestamp="1302638762"]
The school board election is where change needs to be made, most people haven't figured that out. As far a people being in positions because of other things other than ability, well that has been going on with the program for a while. To much putting on friends and family and passing over people who are probably more qualified, so don't assume by what your hearing that, these people you are referring to are only being put in these positions because of anything other than ability. It's giving these people the opportunities that they were constantly being passed over for. As I stated, I love coach Thompson. I don't want my comments to leave people thinking I have anything against him. I think he is a great coach, but as I stated there are some things that the new coach needs to be willing to do in order to bring this school and program to the next level. There are alot of good candidates and we want a great coach, but we also want someone who is going to care about every sport, every kid and give every kid the opportunity to succeed on and off the field. Kids don't need to be ran off from the school because they don't fit the stereotype of what a mustang player should look like. Every kid should get the opportunity to shine on the team , not just the player that you looked at when they were in the seventh grade and you decided, this is going to be my starter in high school...make them earn it, because this kid might not have gotten any better since, but the one you overlooked back then might have, but you will never notice because you are too busy having this picture of what this kid is going to be in your head that you can't see the superstar on the sidelines. This isn't directed at coach T, but there have been  some of that going on.

[/quote]

Once again, foot in mouth. You are making my "little Jimmy" point accurate. You say that kids get "runn off" because they dont fit the "look"? That is funny right there. the kids that leave, leave because they werent mentally tough enough to play at WOS. look and see where those kids are in life now. You probably dont want to know. I see you are one of those people that believe everyone wins and everyone plays. Well guess what, thats not life, thats 6 yr old basketball. Wow. i cant believe my "little jimmy" logic was just proved. I love it. You want to know where "little jimmy" schools go? No where. These kids at WOCCISD deserve the BEST coach for the job and the BEST opportunity to have dicipline instilled in them so they can succeed in life and understand that you dont always win. I will always support the kids. However, if the WOCCISD board doesnt have changes then I wont support them. These people are paid by our tax dollars. They represent the community and students at WOS, by bringing in an outsider i honestly believe it will hurt the kids. That is...if there will be any left at the school.

[quote name="VNUPE" post="996825" timestamp="1302705261"]
Bad, I disagree with the D-1 scholarship portion of your post. Beaumont and Memorial send way more kids to D-1 colleges per year than WOS.
[/quote]

your correct, but if you actually READ the post, he says by size. We dont have 2000 kids, we have 600. From the past post on other threads I see you like to stir the pot. I have no problem with it, it fun. Im just saying please read the whole post before response. That comparison is laughable. Sorry, but it is.

[quote name="kicker" post="996865" timestamp="1302708590"]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=82860.msg996201#msg996201 date=1302617688]
For those of you who are saying you are gone if Cornell doesn't get the job needs to leave now. You are showing you are nothing more than a bandwagon Mustang fan who wasn't here for the kids and truly don't care about them. So if Cornell doesn't get the job, you can follow him wherever he goes. This is a hard decision for everyone who's having to make the decision and although it might be a no brainer for some of you, there are stipulations that needs to be met to get the school and program to the next level and the next head coach needs to be willing to do what is required of the job or they don't need to be at Wo-s. It's the same if a player or student doesn't want to do what's required they need to leave. Now I like both coach Thompson and Toby, but I care mostly about these kids and this school which I graduated from. There are some changes that need to be made and they will be made. If coach Thompson gets the job, then I will be happy, just like I will if Toby gets it, but they both need to be willing to do whatever is asked of them to move this school and program forward in the right direction. All of the community isn't leaning one way or the other. Opinions vary, I can tell you that. There are pros and cons with each candidate. So all of you who are willing to leave, all I need to ask you is, do you need help packing because we don't need fans like you. Don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out. This school will be fine regardless.
[/quote]

Whovere you are need to take you foot out of your mouith. You come on here bashing some of the most loyal fans that WOS has. Obviously because you became subjective instead of objective, you have a bone to pick with situation. i dont know who you are, and frankly dont care but dont come on here and bash us when you are a newbie. you want to call us bandwaggoners? I have been a fan since 1980, yeah the year i was born. I also played for WOS and have continued to support them my whole adult life. People like you have no business getting on a board bashing people. Give your opinion? Yes Bash us? No If you had the respect for Cornell or Toby you would understand what we are talking about. The ones that are saying this have reliable information of what is really going on in the situation. [b]Its like something BISD would do.[/b] So you, my friend, Leave the board or whatever your mouth crapped out.
[/quote]I will ask you to explain what this comment means.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="996883" timestamp="1302711286"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=82860.msg996865#msg996865 date=1302708590]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=82860.msg996201#msg996201 date=1302617688]
[/quote]

Whovere you are need to take you foot out of your mouith. You come on here bashing some of the most loyal fans that WOS has. Obviously because you became subjective instead of objective, you have a bone to pick with situation. i dont know who you are, and frankly dont care but dont come on here and bash us when you are a newbie. you want to call us bandwaggoners? I have been a fan since 1980, yeah the year i was born. I also played for WOS and have continued to support them my whole adult life. People like you have no business getting on a board bashing people. Give your opinion? Yes Bash us? No If you had the respect for Cornell or Toby you would understand what we are talking about. The ones that are saying this have reliable information of what is really going on in the situation. [b]Its like something BISD would do.[/b] So you, my friend, Leave the board or whatever your mouth crapped out.
[/quote]

No harm meant, just the way the BISD taxpayers are going balistic for some reason. Dont have a dog in that fight, but of all the sites Ive been on, including KFDM, the tax payers are very angry with the way the district is spending money and not listening to the people. Thats all. Why you ask?

Had to edit some spelling, lol. My typing isnt exactly sufficient, lol.

[quote name="kicker" post="996887" timestamp="1302712364"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=82860.msg996883#msg996883 date=1302711286]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=82860.msg996865#msg996865 date=1302708590]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No harm meant, just the way the BISD taxpayers are going balistic for some reason. Dont have a dog in that fight, but of all the sites Ive been on, including KFDM, the tax payers are very angry with the way the district is spending money and not listening to the people. Thats all. Why you ask?

Had to edit some spelling, lol. My typing isnt exactly sufficient, lol.
[/quote]Ok.  I understand.  Most of them need pacifiers...

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="996944" timestamp="1302719063"]
[quote author=Scooter! link=topic=82860.msg996930#msg996930 date=1302716831]
Just got off Twitter...........Thomas Brooks to WO-S with Central-EX Sedberry as the assistant HC  :D
[/quote]Really?
[/quote] ;D

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="996976" timestamp="1302722372"]
Ok.  You just pulling my chain.  lol.  I won't take  you seriously, man!   :D :D
[/quote]Per a VERY VERY reliable source one of them was contacted  ;) he didnt want the job.  and it wasnt Sedberry.  ;)

[quote name="Scooter!" post="996977" timestamp="1302722471"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=82860.msg996976#msg996976 date=1302722372]
Ok.  You just pulling my chain.  lol.  I won't take  you seriously, man!   :D :D
[/quote]Per a VERY VERY reliable source one of them was contacted  ;) he didnt want the job.  and it wasnt Sedberry.  ;)
[/quote]

you are correct. And also the one that was contacted gave their opinion. ;)

I keep saying it, and I will untill im proven wrong, Colbert is a great guy. Of all the sources i have heard from about him, they all have great things to say about him. Now, I am understanding of people getting upset about them outside of WOS for applications. As I understand it, you have to post it. If there is more than one person looking at the job from within, UIL mandates an interview process of x number of people. you also have to take in consideration the EOE rules. I honestly think that our Super. is just crossing all t's and dotting all i's. Honestly, you want a fair and transparent leader in school, government, etc. I hope I am right about this, but i believe that the decision is already made and the path to get there is just being done by the book.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin