Next WO-S Head Football Coach.....COACH THOMPSON IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

If Coach T or Toby don't get the job, I will no longer support the Mustangs! It will be the stupidest decision Dr. Colbert made in his entire educational career! If I were the superintendent, I want to be a leader in a school district that not only it's superior in academics but I want to be a leader in a school district that has a successful athletic program although I would say academics are a top priority! Who cares what happened in 99. The next year we went to the State Finals! I remember when Jamal "Tootie" Warnell turned the ball over on punt return which lead to Lincoln scoring the game-winning touchdown costing us the game and being forced to miss out on the playoffs for the first time in seven years! If it weren't for the turnover, instead of PNG playing Stephenville in the State Championship game, it could have been the 'Stangs and we could have eventually upset them in the Alamodome instead of the Astrodome! After the loss to the Bees, on the busride home, I told one of the players we are going to State next year and we did! We better be careful what we say because stuff like that could happen and it eventually did!

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athletics and education go hand in hand at the highschool level. These genious educators need to figure that out. There are many walking around with diplomas and good jobs today because football, or some other sport, kept them in school and forced them to pass. Without it, they would be another loss to the streets... You can't argue that fact people.

I'm probably saying a little more about this situation than I should, but anytime it becomes a situation where its more about the color of the skin than the content of the character, then bad things are going to happen and no brainer decisions are botched. If you support Cornel Thompson then you need to let your thoughts be known. Not just here, but to Colbert or members of the committee. Preferably in letter form. Let him know he will be held accountable.

For those of you who are saying you are gone if Cornell doesn't get the job needs to leave now. You are showing you are nothing more than a bandwagon Mustang fan who wasn't here for the kids and truly don't care about them. So if Cornell doesn't get the job, you can follow him wherever he goes. This is a hard decision for everyone who's having to make the decision and although it might be a no brainer for some of you, there are stipulations that needs to be met to get the school and program to the next level and the next head coach needs to be willing to do what is required of the job or they don't need to be at Wo-s. It's the same if a player or student doesn't want to do what's required they need to leave. Now I like both coach Thompson and Toby, but I care mostly about these kids and this school which I graduated from. There are some changes that need to be made and they will be made. If coach Thompson gets the job, then I will be happy, just like I will if Toby gets it, but they both need to be willing to do whatever is asked of them to move this school and program forward in the right direction. All of the community isn't leaning one way or the other. Opinions vary, I can tell you that. There are pros and cons with each candidate. So all of you who are willing to leave, all I need to ask you is, do you need help packing because we don't need fans like you. Don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out. This school will be fine regardless.

[quote name="bigdog" post="996214" timestamp="1302618897"]
Ok, I'm a little confused here. I thought the interview with the Super made every one feel better about Cornell getting hired??? Help me out.
[/quote]

His words did.  However, some reported actions by him and his blue ribbon committee lead many to believe that his words were empty.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="996219" timestamp="1302619379"]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=82860.msg996214#msg996214 date=1302618897]
Ok, I'm a little confused here. I thought the interview with the Super made every one feel better about Cornell getting hired??? Help me out.
[/quote]

[b]His words did.  However, some reported actions by him and his blue ribbon committee lead many to believe that his words were empty[/b].
[/quote]

;) :-X

[quote name="mustangproud" post="996201" timestamp="1302617688"]
For those of you who are saying you are gone if Cornell doesn't get the job needs to leave now. You are showing you are nothing more than a bandwagon Mustang fan who wasn't here for the kids and truly don't care about them. So if Cornell doesn't get the job, you can follow him wherever he goes. This is a hard decision for everyone who's having to make the decision and although it might be a no brainer for some of you, there are stipulations that needs to be met to get the school and program to the next level and the next head coach needs to be willing to do what is required of the job or they don't need to be at Wo-s. It's the same if a player or student doesn't want to do what's required they need to leave. Now I like both coach Thompson and Toby, but I care mostly about these kids and this school which I graduated from. There are some changes that need to be made and they will be made. If coach Thompson gets the job, then I will be happy, just like I will if Toby gets it, but they both need to be willing to do whatever is asked of them to move this school and program forward in the right direction. All of the community isn't leaning one way or the other. Opinions vary, I can tell you that. There are pros and cons with each candidate. So all of you who are willing to leave, all I need to ask you is, do you need help packing because we don't need fans like you. Don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out. This school will be fine regardless.
[/quote]I completly agree!  You get karma for this.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="996228" timestamp="1302619975"]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=82860.msg996201#msg996201 date=1302617688]
[/quote]
you hit the neg karma soulja! :D

[quote name="the sports guy" post="996229" timestamp="1302620111"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=82860.msg996228#msg996228 date=1302619975]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=82860.msg996201#msg996201 date=1302617688]
[/quote]
[/quote]Sounds kinda like the" little Johnny" syndrome I hear so much about from people on this board, If it dont go my way I will just quit!

[quote name="the sports guy" post="996229" timestamp="1302620111"]
[/quote]
[/quote]Lol!  You had me second guessing myself, so I had to give him about 2 more as a precautionary measure.  ;D

[quote name="77" post="996247" timestamp="1302621316"]
[quote author=the sports guy link=topic=82860.msg996229#msg996229 date=1302620111]
[/quote]
[/quote]Sounds kinda like the" little Johnny" syndrome I hear so much about from people on this board, If it dont go my way I will just quit!
[/quote]Yep!  'I will take my ball and go home!'

[quote name="mustangproud" post="996201" timestamp="1302617688"]
[/quote]

I'll start where we agree.  I agree that future support of the Mustangs should not hinge on who is made head coach. However happy or disappointed I might be with the choice that the District makes, I will always support the schools within the West Orange-Cove CISD in whatever endeavors their students undertake.  The name of the new coach does not change that West Orange-Stark is the high school that readied me for the rigors of the journey of life and that West Orange, Texas is my home town.  I will still crow when they win and curse when they lose.  I will continue to lift them up, if merely by spirit, when they represent me and my home town in the next competition.  If I disassociated myself from this school district because of personnel decisions that the school district made that I didn't agree with, I would have been gone 10-15 years ago.  I have disagreed with many and, quite frankly, have seen the result I predicted from those decisions play out.

And I agree that there needs to be change in the WO-C CISD.  Too often over the past 10-15 years, qualities aside from ability have been looked at in choosing administrators on the academic side of things.  This has resulted in qualified administrators being looked over, placed in an environment which caused them to leave for other school districts or being outright dismissed.  The result was a level of incompetence in the administration which had lead the district to the point where it is compelled by the State of Texas to provide vouchers to families within the school district who wish to have their children educated by another area school district.  I refuse to put this all on the teachers because I know that there are teachers at WO-S that were teaching when I walked the halls there...teachers who did their dead level best to ensure that we were provided with an education that was not merely quality, but excellent.  I have no doubt they possess the same quality and desire as when I went to school there, but interference from an administration that can't find its way has gotten in the way.  Once, my hometown school district was widely known for excellence not only on the athletic field, but also in band, choir, drama, debate and its many vocational programs.  Today?  Well, we're pretty good at sports.

As kicker and Gasilla have stated before me the one area of the school district that has maintained a level of competence is the athletic program across that same period of time.  Say what you will about Dan Hooks' alleged emphasis on football and nothing else, but across the board there are only one or two sports at West Orange-Stark that went for long stretches of time without going to the playoffs while he was athletic director.  One of those that was right with Coach Hooks in building that was Cornel Thompson, a man who has shown his ability, a man who has shown his passion.  This job should be Cornel Thompson's not as some sort of thank you present for past service, but because of the fact that he can keep one of the lone lights, in a district that has gone very dim, shining.  I am sorry, we are going to have to agree to disagree, this is as dead lock a no brainer as there ever was.

However, we get back to the powers that be, they now have the opportunity to meddle with athletics as they have with the academic side of things.  And if reports prove to be correct, business as usual, that is looking for qualities other than ability, will seem to win the day on this decision as well.  That is what would be more disappointing than anything going forward.

No, I will not abandon the school district if Coach Thompson is not named head coach as that would be mere acceptance of the business as usual.  What I will do is my best to help those that seek to remove those that have engaged in the business as usual.  That would start next month with school board elections upcoming.  The seats up for election are Dr. Mary Hardin, who is one of the lead architects of the various messes that the district currently has, and Dr. Andrew Hayes (and I am sure that this following statement will get some backlash), a shining example of how high an incompetent administrator can rise.  Running and ready to replace them are Tony Dallas, who graduated 2 years ahead of me at WO-S and Murray Taggart, who was a year ahead.  Both passed through the WO-C CISD when excellence in education was not a goal, but a requirement.  And two men who I believe are committed to see that being the case again.

But away from the ad, do not dismiss kicker or Gasilla when they talk of the importance of this decision not only to the athletic department, but to the school district as a whole.  A choice away from Coach Thompson has the potential to cause fundamental damage to the WO-C CISD.  At this time, that is something the district call ill afford.

DISCLAIMER:  This post was not approved of by either Mr. Dallas or Mr. Taggart and does not necessarily reflect their views.

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="996342" timestamp="1302637420"]
[quote author=Scooter! link=topic=82860.msg996081#msg996081 date=1302575785]
If Coach T isnt named the HC things will turn upside down in West Orange
[/quote] If Coach T or Toby is NOT named the School would be 2A within 2 years and 1A in 4 years, write it down.
[/quote]What if Bobby Bowden wants the job?  ;D

[/quote] If Coach T or Toby is NOT named the School would be 2A within 2 years and 1A in 4 years, write it down.
[/quote]
And re-named LCM in 6 years!  ;D

The school board election is where change needs to be made, most people haven't figured that out. As far a people being in positions because of other things other than ability, well that has been going on with the program for a while. To much putting on friends and family and passing over people who are probably more qualified, so don't assume by what your hearing that, these people you are referring to are only being put in these positions because of anything other than ability. It's giving these people the opportunities that they were constantly being passed over for. As I stated, I love coach Thompson. I don't want my comments to leave people thinking I have anything against him. I think he is a great coach, but as I stated there are some things that the new coach needs to be willing to do in order to bring this school and program to the next level. There are alot of good candidates and we want a great coach, but we also want someone who is going to care about every sport, every kid and give every kid the opportunity to succeed on and off the field. Kids don't need to be ran off from the school because they don't fit the stereotype of what a mustang player should look like. Every kid should get the opportunity to shine on the team , not just the player that you looked at when they were in the seventh grade and you decided, this is going to be my starter in high school...make them earn it, because this kid might not have gotten any better since, but the one you overlooked back then might have, but you will never notice because you are too busy having this picture of what this kid is going to be in your head that you can't see the superstar on the sidelines. This isn't directed at coach T, but there have been  some of that going on.

By the way, I'm a female.

[/quote]
I wrote it down! ;D

I am pretty sure one of them will get it.

[quote name="VNUPE" post="996357" timestamp="1302640103"]
Guys correct me if im wrong. Arent classifications based on overall enrollment and not head football coaches?
[/quote]

You are correct.  While I suspect that decision could have quite an impact student population, I don't see a fall of any classifications. 

The demise of the WO-C CISD, if that day ever comes, will not be directly due to flight from the district due to any decline in the football program.  It will occur more probably as a result of the district not being able to get a handle on the ratings, both academically and financially that have dogged the district for several years.  If not remedied, I see the TEA getting involved in the next few years and then a possible Wilmer-Hutchins situation.

However, this decision could serve as a major irritant to the direct problem.

[quote name="the sports guy" post="996355" timestamp="1302639044"]
[quote author=KFDM KERRY COOPER link=topic=82860.msg996342#msg996342 date=1302637420]
[/quote]
I wrote it down! ;D

I am pretty sure one of them will get it.
[/quote]

If so this Super has let things get stirred up that didn't need to be stirred up and is obviously dividing the community.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="996354" timestamp="1302638762"]
The school board election is where change needs to be made, most people haven't figured that out. As far a people being in positions because of other things other than ability, well that has been going on with the program for a while. To much putting on friends and family and passing over people who are probably more qualified, so don't assume by what your hearing that, these people you are referring to are only being put in these positions because of anything other than ability. It's giving these people the opportunities that they were constantly being passed over for. As I stated, I love coach Thompson. I don't want my comments to leave people thinking I have anything against him. I think he is a great coach, but as I stated there are some things that the new coach needs to be willing to do in order to bring this school and program to the next level. There are alot of good candidates and we want a great coach, but we also want someone who is going to care about every sport, every kid and give every kid the opportunity to succeed on and off the field. [b]Kids don't need to be ran off from the school because they don't fit the stereotype of what a mustang player should look [/b] like. Every kid should get the opportunity to shine on the team , not just the player that you looked at when they were in the seventh grade and you decided, this is going to be my starter in high school...make them earn it, because this kid might not have gotten any better since, but the one you overlooked back then might have, but you will never notice because you are too busy having this picture of what this kid is going to be in your head that you can't see the superstar on the sidelines. This isn't directed at coach T, but there have been  some of that going on.

By the way, I'm a female.
[/quote]

Are you talking about discipline or something else? Because if it's discipline, I have no problem with demanding discipline or exclusion.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    lufunom123
    Newest Member
    lufunom123