Next WO-S Head Football Coach.....COACH THOMPSON IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="td" post="997655" timestamp="1302878520"]
[quote author=KFDM KERRY COOPER link=topic=82860.msg997651#msg997651 date=1302877869]
Why would you need a Committee if Coach Thompson was the one for the job? This shouldn't even be discussed. This is a no Brainer.
[/quote]

I didn't say it wasn't a no brainer. There is  a process that must be followed. Otherwise we will have all sorts of problems. Therefore I agree with the process. Time will tell if I agree with the end result. The process isn't an insult to Coach T. The only important thing is the end result. Yall are focusing on the process and if he gets the job in the end then shame on yall for spewing all of this negative crap.
[/quote]

td, Coop does not speak for everyone here.  By law, this process is necessary.  I'm in full agreement with you on that.  Even though Coach T is the "no brainer" choice for this, you can't just hire him without publicly posting the job and interviewing other candidates.  The problem I have (as does Grad) concerns some of the actions going on behind the scenes involving at least one person on the search committee, as well as the supt himself.  In short, there seems to be an attempt to find reasons NOT to hire Coach T.  This isn't simply "negative crap", but a real cause for concern and potentially outrage.  

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="997657" timestamp="1302878805"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=82860.msg997654#msg997654 date=1302878509]
Well, let's just lay this out.  The WO-S alumni support Cornel Thompson for the head coaching position, the Greater Orange community appears to support Cornel Thompson for the head coaching position, every coach that has weighed in to me about the position has indicated that Cornel Thompson should be the next head coach at WO-S.  For this committee not to place Cornel Thompson at the top of its list for this position would mean that this committee would have rejected the opinion of every reasonable cross section which can weigh in on this matter.

In answer to this after supposedly over 60 applications have been filed for this position, one of which we know to be Cornel Thompson, the Colbert Committee saw fit to go on a recruiting trip.  Two of the coaches known to have been contacted by this committee decided not to apply for the position with one of these candidates telling members of the committee his view of who should be the next coach.  That name....Cornel Thompson.

I have this morning heard of a third candidate that was recruited, purportedly by Mr. Colbert himself.  This candidate, if hired to be head coach, would have his third head high school coaching position in 3 years with a record at his 2 previous stops that does not as Mr. Guillory promised "blow me away." I guess in contacting him, Mr. Colbert forgot about his own goal of finding someone with some stability.

Ladies and gentlemen, I may very well be wrong in my conclusions about where the Colbert Committee may be going with this search.  But with the evidence from the very beginning which has been mounting, my misgivings about it are definitely reasonable.
[/quote] Very well said. Coach T has earned this! He has buildt this program what it is today and now it's HIS time. Why go searching across the State? Hmmm
[/quote]

The only thing we are disagreeing on is the process.

[quote name="cajunvince" post="997663" timestamp="1302879229"]
Do you think someone in Palestine is bad mouthing Cornel?  If I remember correctly, he did not have an overly successful tenure there.  Also, doesn't he still live in another area outside the WOS school district?  Could that be a sticking point with the board?
[/quote] No.

[quote name="griff" post="997661" timestamp="1302879178"]
[quote author=td link=topic=82860.msg997655#msg997655 date=1302878520]
[quote author=KFDM KERRY COOPER link=topic=82860.msg997651#msg997651 date=1302877869]
Why would you need a Committee if Coach Thompson was the one for the job? This shouldn't even be discussed. This is a no Brainer.
[/quote]

I didn't say it wasn't a no brainer. There is  a process that must be followed. Otherwise we will have all sorts of problems. Therefore I agree with the process. Time will tell if I agree with the end result. The process isn't an insult to Coach T. The only important thing is the end result. Yall are focusing on the process and if he gets the job in the end then shame on yall for spewing all of this negative crap.
[/quote]

td, Coop does not speak for everyone here.  By law, this process is necessary.  I'm in full agreement with you on that.  Even though Coach T is the "no brainer" choice for this, you can't just hire him without publicly posting the job and interviewing other candidates.  The problem I have (as does Grad) concerns some of the actions going on behind the scenes involving at least one person on the search committee, as well as the supt himself.  In short, there seems to be an attempt to find reasons NOT to hire Coach T.  This isn't simply "negative crap", but a real cause for concern and potentially outrage.  
[/quote] Good post Griff i agree. Now if another Coach at WO-S wouldn't have applied then the job wouldn't have to have been opened up anyway.

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="997660" timestamp="1302879128"]
Correct BUT he didn't have to hire a Committee to do a search. The SUPER can do the hiring, happens all the time.
[/quote]

He didn't hire a committee. He put one together. Sure looks better to have a committee in my eyes. Really makes it look like we are following all of the EOE or EEOC laws. Which I'm sure we are. Why in the world yall are focusing on the process and not the end result is just a mystery to me. If he ends up with the job, how will yall ever remove the foot from your mouth?

[quote name="griff" post="997661" timestamp="1302879178"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If that is true then the only avenue we have is to call the committee members. What is being done here is without a doubt negative crap and as I stated before, if he ends up with the job the harsh words will be hard to forget and it will be very difficult to remove ones foot from ones mouth. If he doesn't get the job then start a line and let me know where it is.

[quote name="td" post="997669" timestamp="1302879697"]
[quote author=griff link=topic=82860.msg997661#msg997661 date=1302879178]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If that is true then the only avenue we have is to call the committee members. What is being done here is without a doubt negative crap and as I stated before, if he ends up with the job the harsh words will be hard to forget and it will be very difficult to remove ones foot from ones mouth. [b]If he doesn't get the job then start a line and let me know where it is.[/b][/quote] I agree TD  8)

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="997668" timestamp="1302879531"]
[quote author=td link=topic=82860.msg997667#msg997667 date=1302879455]
[quote author=KFDM KERRY COOPER link=topic=82860.msg997660#msg997660 date=1302879128]
Correct BUT he didn't have to hire a Committee to do a search. The SUPER can do the hiring, happens all the time.
[/quote]

He didn't hire a committee. He put one together. Sure looks better to have a committee in my eyes. Really makes it look like we are following all of the EOE or EEOC laws. Which I'm sure we are. Why in the world yall are focusing on the process and not the end result is just a mystery to me. If he ends up with the job, how will yall ever remove the foot from your mouth?
[/quote] Im sure laws are being followed. I was just saying a Committee DOESN'T have to be put together.
[/quote]

You are right a committee didn't have to be put together but there is alot of upside to putting one together and as I see it no downside. Again the end result is what is important here.

[quote name="sportsman28" post="997671" timestamp="1302879794"]
Coach Hooks lived outside the school district as well....mute point...Palestine situation totally different than this situation.  
[/quote]

I agree. I think we all agree except on the process. I see it as necessary and the majority of yall don't. We all agree on the end result.

[quote name="td" post="997676" timestamp="1302879991"]
[quote author=sportsman28 link=topic=82860.msg997671#msg997671 date=1302879794]
Coach Hooks lived outside the school district as well....mute point...Palestine situation totally different than this situation.  
[/quote]

I agree. I think we all agree except on the process. I see it as necessary and the majority of yall don't. We all agree on the end result.
[/quote]

I agree that it should not matter, but, I didn't know if anyone on the hiring committee is making this out to be a big deal.

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="997668" timestamp="1302879531"]
[/quote] Im sure laws are being followed. I was just saying a Committee DOESN'T have to be put together.
[/quote]
The supt is not bound to create a committee, but it shows a more concerted effort to examine candidtaes.  Yes, the EEOC will smile at that as opposed to Colbert making this a one-man show.  I prefer that he made a committee of people from various perspectives instead of asking the (current) school board to do this.  Still, some actions have occurred by at least two people closely involved in the process that have created more than a small amount of suspicion as to what their objectives are.  Some of these actions have been posted and some have not.  All I want to say beyond that is that everyone who has a passion for Coach T to get the job should contact the supt and Eric Guillory.  They need to hear 1) your support for Coach T and 2) reasons WHY you support him.  

[quote name="cajunvince" post="997663" timestamp="1302879229"]
Do you think someone in Palestine is bad mouthing Cornel?  If I remember correctly, he did not have an overly successful tenure there.  Also, doesn't he still live in another area outside the WOS school district?  Could that be a sticking point with the board?
[/quote]

Nope, What happened in Palestine was that Coach Thompsons workouts and dicipline were too much for the players to handle. There were also ALOT of "little jimmy " politics over there. That is why he got away from Palastine. Had nothing to do with records. And as for him not living in the district, has nothing to do with it. So tell me, should you get fired from a job in Beaumont because you live in Orange? Also, find me a place in orange that you can raise 25 longhorns.( and trust me, they are big and fast) lol

Committee or no committee.  To me it doesn't matter, I know that both methods have been effective in finding coaches in the past and it is really that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder of which method to use.  I further realize that the Government and Education Codes here in Texas require that this position be posted and opened to the public for a period of time.  To those ends, the West Orange-Cove CISD has complied with federal and state law.

I do have misgivings about the motives of some of the members of that committee. MANY share my misgivings about at least one of those members.  But it is not the structure of the process that I have problems with.

The criticism is with the actions of this committee.  Those actions that have been attributed to Mr. Colbert and his committee lead to a conclusion, that while maybe incorrect is certainly reasonable.  And quite simply that conclusion is that Mr. Colbert and his committee seem intent on naming a coach that meets a certain ideological goal that Colbert and the committee share rather than searching for a coach that is best for the children of the West Orange-Cove CISD.  This ideological goal, by the way, has long been dismissed by the United States Supreme Court as unreasonable and  unconstitutional.  Reports of these actions have not been met by reports of acts to the contrary, nor actually a denial that it is occurring.

They have been met with pleas to merely to wait until the end and see that I may have been wrong all along.  And I admit that is a reasonable way to proceed and certainly find no fault with anyone who advocates such a mindset.  I just don't agree with it.  Some might see it as injecting negativity into the argument.  I prefer to see it as exposing the negativity of actions by a committee that, at least in reasonable appearance, appears to be bucking what those in and out of the Mustang family....and in and out of the coaching fraternity that the new coach would enter....hold as conventional wisdom.

I fully understand that there may be consequences to my actions.  I am currently trying to gather information about the local teams for next year and I fully expect the next coach at WO-S, regardless of who that may be, to be instructed to render very little aid in getting information on the Mustangs.  And I fully realize that others may face consequences FAR MORE severe than that because of airing their views.  But should I be incorrect about where the actions of the committee are headed, I will gladly sleep at night with the moniker of one of the "boys who cried wolf."  

If I was correct and remained silent, I am not sure I could sleep so well.

Im leaning toward TD's side here. ive said from the beginning that all I have heard is good things about the Super. and another thing i heard was that he wants to turn this district around and do things BY THE BOOK. So by doing the comitee and due process in hiring a VERY important job, he is doing what he said he would do. Like ive said before, I will believe in the man untill proven otherwise. This could all be his way of covering all bases and has known the whole time that it was Cornel's job. Now, the schoolboard, well thats another thing. lol. VOTE FOR TONY!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="997703" timestamp="1302883556"]
Committee or no committee.  To me it doesn't matter, I know that both methods have been effective in finding coaches in the past and it is really that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder of which method to use.  I further realize that the Government and Education Codes here in Texas require that this position be posted and opened to the public for a period of time.  To those ends, the West Orange-Cove CISD has complied with federal and state law.

I do have misgivings about the motives of some of the members of that committee. MANY share my misgivings about at least one of those members.  But it is not the structure of the process that I have problems with.

The criticism is with the actions of this committee.  Those actions that have been attributed to Mr. Colbert and his committee lead to a conclusion, that while maybe incorrect is certainly reasonable.  And quite simply that conclusion is that Mr. Colbert and his committee seem intent on naming a coach that meets a certain ideological goal that Colbert and the committee share rather than searching for a coach that is best for the children of the West Orange-Cove CISD.  This ideological goal, by the way, has long been dismissed by the United States Supreme Court as unreasonable and  unconstitutional.  Reports of these actions have not been met by reports of acts to the contrary, nor actually a denial that it is occurring.

They have been met with pleas to merely to wait until the end and see that I may have been wrong all along.  And I admit that is a reasonable way to proceed and certainly find no fault with anyone who advocates such a mindset.  I just don't agree with it.  Some might see it as injecting negativity into the argument.  I prefer to see it as exposing the negativity of actions by a committee that, at least in reasonable appearance, appears to be bucking what those in and out of the Mustang family....and in and out of the coaching fraternity that the new coach would enter....hold as conventional wisdom.

I fully understand that there may be consequences to my actions.  I am currently trying to gather information about the local teams for next year and I fully expect the next coach at WO-S, regardless of who that may be, to be instructed to render very little aid in getting information on the Mustangs.  And I fully realize that others may face consequences FAR MORE severe than that because of airing their views.  But should I be incorrect about where the actions of the committee are headed, I will gladly sleep at night with the moniker of one of the "boys who cried wolf."  

[/quote]

I know one thing about your post,....Skipper will never be able to understand it. lol. ;D

[quote name="kicker" post="997707" timestamp="1302883749"]
Im leaning toward TD's side here. ive said from the beginning that all I have heard is good things about the Super. and another thing i heard was that he wants to turn this district around and do things BY THE BOOK. So by doing the comitee and due process in hiring a VERY important job, he is doing what he said he would do. Like ive said before, I will believe in the man untill proven otherwise. This could all be his way of covering all bases and has known the whole time that it was Cornel's job. Now, the schoolboard, well thats another thing. lol. VOTE FOR TONY!
[/quote] We'll find out April 26th.

[quote name="kicker" post="997709" timestamp="1302883977"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=82860.msg997703#msg997703 date=1302883556]
Committee or no committee.  To me it doesn't matter, I know that both methods have been effective in finding coaches in the past and it is really that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder of which method to use.  I further realize that the Government and Education Codes here in Texas require that this position be posted and opened to the public for a period of time.  To those ends, the West Orange-Cove CISD has complied with federal and state law.

I do have misgivings about the motives of some of the members of that committee. MANY share my misgivings about at least one of those members.  But it is not the structure of the process that I have problems with.

The criticism is with the actions of this committee.  Those actions that have been attributed to Mr. Colbert and his committee lead to a conclusion, that while maybe incorrect is certainly reasonable.  And quite simply that conclusion is that Mr. Colbert and his committee seem intent on naming a coach that meets a certain ideological goal that Colbert and the committee share rather than searching for a coach that is best for the children of the West Orange-Cove CISD.  This ideological goal, by the way, has long been dismissed by the United States Supreme Court as unreasonable and  unconstitutional.  Reports of these actions have not been met by reports of acts to the contrary, nor actually a denial that it is occurring.

They have been met with pleas to merely to wait until the end and see that I may have been wrong all along.  And I admit that is a reasonable way to proceed and certainly find no fault with anyone who advocates such a mindset.  I just don't agree with it.  Some might see it as injecting negativity into the argument.  I prefer to see it as exposing the negativity of actions by a committee that, at least in reasonable appearance, appears to be bucking what those in and out of the Mustang family....and in and out of the coaching fraternity that the new coach would enter....hold as conventional wisdom.

I fully understand that there may be consequences to my actions.  I am currently trying to gather information about the local teams for next year and I fully expect the next coach at WO-S, regardless of who that may be, to be instructed to render very little aid in getting information on the Mustangs.  And I fully realize that others may face consequences FAR MORE severe than that because of airing their views.  But should I be incorrect about where the actions of the committee are headed, I will gladly sleep at night with the moniker of one of the "boys who cried wolf." 

[/quote]

I know one thing about your post,....Skipper will never be able to understand it. lol. ;D
[/quote]

Nor will I probably be able to understand his the next time he posts. LOL! ;D

[b]I fully understand that there may be consequences to my actions.  I am currently trying to gather information about the local teams for next year and I fully expect the next coach at WO-S, regardless of who that may be, to be instructed to render very little aid in getting information on the Mustangs.[/b]

I would think that a new coach would want to put out info about the Stangs.  Build a bridge.

The fact that two coaches from within the district applied for the AD/HC job is not the reason for the interviewing process.  The only time a district can fill a position from within without interviewing for the open spot is if the move is a lateral move.  For instance if WOS had two AD's for some reason the remaining AD could just be named the AD.  This happens all the time with Asst. Principals.  Since the AD/HC would be a promotion for either WOS coaches, the interviewing process was unavoidable.

[quote name="Ska_Doobie_1" post="997715" timestamp="1302884522"]
The fact that two coaches from within the district applied for the AD/HC job is not the reason for the interviewing process.  The only time a district can fill a position from within without interviewing for the open spot is if the move is a lateral move.  For instance if WOS had two AD's for some reason the remaining AD could just be named the AD.  This happens all the time with Asst. Principals.  Since the AD/HC would be a promotion for either WOS coaches, the interviewing process was unavoidable.
[/quote]

Thats what I thought. I knew there were certain rules, just never looked them up.

[quote name="Ska_Doobie_1" post="997715" timestamp="1302884522"]
[/quote] You 100% sure about that?

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="997703" timestamp="1302883556"]

[/quote]

Grad, I never asked anyone to remain quiet. Actually remaining quiet is the wrong thing to do just as I believe what is being said here is wrong. Nothing can be solved here. It has been posted several times to contact a committee member and let them know what your feelings are. That is the only way to get any action in this matter.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder