Bulldogs add QB, lose star tackle

KFDM COOP

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Penny" post="852903" timestamp="1285087985"]
GoDogs, just trying to clarify what you said... you condone letting the players choose who will start on Friday nights?  I'm not saying you can't have an opinion, but do you truly let the kids vote on who they want to start???
[/quote]coach should make the call..No matter what..... I think

I talked to my son last night about everything going on..He is one of the seniors on the team and he is one of the leaders. My son (Trevin) told me that everybody has talked it out and it is over..So I think  maybe I should  find something else to type about why I am at work ;D

[quote name="jake94" post="852880" timestamp="1285087102"]
[quote author=elhector1 link=topic=73268.msg852877#msg852877 date=1285086717]
Since my kid goes to LCM, I don't have a dog in this hunt...

But...

It's a tough decision for a coach to make.  Do you put a kid in as QB who has a lot of athletic talent, but struggles with interacting with his team mates, or do you put the kid in who might not have as much talent, but has the ability to work with the others?  Plain and simple, football is not a popularity contest.  A coach has to evaluate the tangibles and intangibles and decide who will be best for the TEAM.  That the "field general" might not be a popular choice shouldn't matter to kids who are team players.  The fact that Coach Neumann had the new QB talk to his team mates and iron things out, shows that coach recognized that there were issues.  That the majority of the team stood behind their QB, even the kid being replaced, after this, shows that the majority of the team play for the sake of the team.  That does not bode ill for Nederland.  They know they have to work at it.  Once you identify an issue, you work to remedy the issue and play ball.  As for the kid who left...hey, you knew what the consequences were before you walked out of the locker room.  I can understand leaving on principle, but to go to the rival across the way shows that principle only goes so far...
[/quote]

Excellent post, elhector! Very good points that you make. I wonder how the lineman that quit would feel if he had gotten injured and had a guy fill in for him, then come back to be re-inserted into the lineup and have a kid at a totally different position tell him that his backup was better and he should not get to play? It's almost an unwritten rule in sports that you do not lose your starting position due to injury. [b]Look at the Eagles currently. Andy Reid is sticking with his starter.[/b][/quote]

I dont know if I would use that comparison anymore, look at what the Eagles just did.  That being said, I do not have a dog in this fight either but if the kids on the team speak up and voice their concerns to the coach, that shows signs of leadership.  If the letter from the player to the paper explaining his side of the story are true then there are some serious issues here.  I do think the coach has the final say on how his program runs and not the kids.  Its his head on the line anyway.  Best of luck to the player that tranfered and to the Dogs this season.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="853452" timestamp="1285157142"]
I could understand chronicling this saga if it were the Eagles.  But I find the fact that Halliburton and the PA News would find this issue suitable for this much coverage a bit troubling.
[/quote]

I agree grad...irresponsible journalism from the get go if you ask me...the team has moved past it...the only ones keeping this alive are the paper and this thread...the horse has be beaten to death and is dead...as much as you would like this to turn into greater problems akifan, I doubt that it will, but we appreciate your support  ::) ::)...

Guest rykerx144
I dont think so.  I think this is going to back fire on the kid that left.  I think this is going to cause the team to come together, and this will turn into "the team" against "the kid that left".  In a few weeks the Bulldogs will have forgot about this issue and will be back to competing in district and this kid will be standing in line at a new stadium waiting to buy tickets.

Guest rykerx144

besides if you quit the team cause the coach let you know he dont like your opinion and said the word a#$, and you moved cause some kids was snickering in the hall at you then im not sure id want you on my football team anyway!! just my opinion!  Football is mans sport!  ;D

[quote name="Razor" post="853454" timestamp="1285157724"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=73268.msg853452#msg853452 date=1285157142]
I could understand chronicling this saga if it were the Eagles.  But I find the fact that Halliburton and the PA News would find this issue suitable for this much coverage a bit troubling.
[/quote]

I agree grad...irresponsible journalism from the get go if you ask me...the team has moved past it...the only ones keeping this alive are the paper and this thread...the horse has be beaten to death and is dead...as much as you would like this to turn into greater problems akifan, I doubt that it will, but we appreciate your support  ::) ::)...
[/quote]

? I assume you see the eyes rolling after my post? My lovely comment is in response to the kids letter. My only interest is not wanting to see PN-G become a haven for disgruntled kids. If he has a legit reason then fine. According to his letter he does but who knows where the truth sits with all of this. You bulldog fans are so sensitive.......

[quote name="Razor" post="853454" timestamp="1285157724"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=73268.msg853452#msg853452 date=1285157142]
I could understand chronicling this saga if it were the Eagles.  But I find the fact that Halliburton and the PA News would find this issue suitable for this much coverage a bit troubling.
[/quote]

I agree grad...irresponsible journalism from the get go if you ask me...the team has moved past it...the only ones keeping this alive are the paper and this thread...the horse has be beaten to death and is dead...as much as you would like this to turn into greater problems akifan, I doubt that it will, but we appreciate your support  ::) ::)...
[/quote]

I hear ya, Razor.  I can tell you that but for the coverage in the News, this thread would have been long gone. But I hope you can understand it is a bit difficult for us, as a local sports message board, to say this is not an issue for discussion when the newspaper that covers the team puts it on the area's tables and computers.  

That is at least the PA News covers the Bulldogs for now. 9Doggies, I could see Coach Neumann getting those locksmiths out to NHS to re-install those locks on that locker room door.  I fear that Mr. Halliburton and the PA News might get a refresher course on how many legal limits to the 1st Amendment freedom of the press there are!

[quote name="Raider81" post="853440" timestamp="1285155109"]
September 21, 2010

This is Andrew Lack's response in a letter to the editor at the PA News:

http://panews.com/sports/x1535825315/Lack-defends-his-decision-to-exit-Nederland
[/quote]
While WOS is faced with dealing with the loss of their QB, you guys are questioning a coaches decision and who will start for his team in the next game. The fact that the kid mentions that it was not fair to "use another kid at QB" shows his maturity level and why the coach, not the kid should make the decisions. He may be a great kid but forgets who is running the team. Respect the decision and move on. Life is not fair! All schools have similiar issues at some point and most people do not go to the papers when they disagree with a coaches decision. What's next, you do not like the play the coach called so you go to the coach or the media and let them know your opinion. Ridiculous! He is a player with whom the coach called in to discuss comments made so as to not divide the team, the coach reminded him who was in charge and he took it as direspecting his father. His father should tell him to let the coach make the decision. The kid should apologize and move on. If the coach hurt his feelings, he needs to get over it. It will be one of life's lessons learned. You guys may think it is none of anyone else's business, but you posted all this in a public forum and someone went to the papers. Your coach could lose a job over what a kids opinion and version of a story that may not be true. He was wrong!

A locked mouth would have been more effective.  Again, someone had to talk in the first place...

As to the notion of "respect", I find it interesting that the young man who quit the team was demanding it, but did not wish to give it in the first place.  Dionte "felt" disrespected, as Andrew "felt" disrespected.   In both cases, this was a teachable moment.  A teachable moment in the art of conversation and honesty, and not talking behind people's backs.  A teachable moment in going to the source and handling it at the lowest level possible before going to the coach felling "disrespected".  A teachable moment in how to present your case without bringing your dad into it (I understand about talking with your kid as a dad.  I did it with my middle son all the time, I still do it, but I stop at the door.  When he walks out of it, he stands on his own, making decisions for himself.).

But, like many of you have said, the TEAM has moved on...and they have started to solidify.  Props to Carson Raines, who didn't stir the pot, and seems to have behaved in an honorable manner, when he was the one being replaced.  He truly understand the meaning of team...

Good luck, 'Dogs, except of course fo that one week against the Bears...  ;D

I don't have a dog in this hunt either,but it looks like to me it's more or less "my kid's better,than your kid",there is competition even on the inside,if you have ever played this game you would know that..If you want a position on the team the best way to get it,is be better than your competition.And you have to keep competing to maintain your position,not only against your opponent,but with the guy who wants your job on the team...Now for the News folks and the press...Good News don't sell newspapers,controversy,dis-contents,He said She said  does...If we all agree you only have ONE person thinking..The news people are a vital and important part of our life,But sometimes it is pushed so far in the milking process it becomes down right comical with the stupidest write ups and boring questions...especially in sports.This conversation actually happened this sports news guy was interviewing a baseball pitcher who had a motorcycle accident and broke his right arm and of course it was his pitching arm,Guess what the yoyo asked him? He was interviewing him at the ball park and said to him "I heard about your motorcycle accident,and how you had broken your right arm (now listen to this question he was asked)..."How is breaking your arm going to interfere with your pitching"....duh ??? ???  come onnnnnnnn man.!!!!!..Hope it works out for the DOG'S and Good Luck on the season...

Guest JoesBros
Sounds like me to that Forney isnt "thick skinned" like he should be. Who cares who someone else's opinion about you? Get out there and do your job. Everyone has an opinion deal with it.

Who knows how the original story got to the PA News, but it was the PA News that called the kid out by name.  Good for the kid for having the balls to tell his side of the story.  It sure puts a new light on the situation.  Yes, the coach runs the team but, coaches are not infallible.  I think if it hadn't gotten to the point of the Neuman telling the kid and his father where to stick their opinion in the manner he did (I don't believe his denial one iota), then the kid would probably still be at Nederland.  There is a right way and a wrong way to handle things.  Dionte was wrong for tattling to the coach.  The coach was wrong for making it an issue and for handling Lack the way he did.  What he should have done is told Dionte to stop being a whiney baby and get back on the field and do his job.  IMO.

When I read the reply by Lack, the first thing that jumped out at me was this:

"The way the situation actually happened was Ben Jones, Austin Dial, and I  were all talking on the sideline during practice about Dionte Forney. What was said was that we thought it was wrong for the coaches to use Carson (Raines) and toss him to the sideline when they didn’t need him anymore."

First, Lack, and the other players disrespected the Coaches by stating that the coaches just used Raines and tossed him to the side.
The coaches didn't use Raines and toss him to the sideline when they didn't need him anymore.  Raines only played because the starter was injured.  If Forney had not been injured he might have still been 2nd string, or on the JV.  In College, and in the Pros, when the starter goes down, the backup knows that when the starter is healthy and cleared to play, that the starter will be re-inserted into the starting lineup.  They are not just using the backup and tossing them to the side, they know their role.  They might be called upon again, who knows.  That's how it works on every team.  The samething happened in the UT vs Texas Tech game.  Tech switched out QBs, and it's up to the coach to make that decision.

Raider81, I have to disagree with you regarding Forney going to the coach.  I believe it was the right thing to do because, there was an issue, and this type of issue needed to be addressed.  The same as in the movie Remember the Titans.  As a player, if you notice an issue, especially dissention among several players, then you should bring it to the attention of the head coach.  Lack did the wrong thing by bringing his dad into the issue.  It should have been kept in house and dealt with among the team, which is what Coach Neuman tried to do.  He called a meeting among the players that complained so that they could bridge the gap.

I played football in High School and if I had an issue and told the coach what my dad said, or his opinion, what Coach Neuman said would be considered a compliment compared to what the coach probably would have told me, or he would have said the exact same thing that Lack alleged that Neuman said to him.  Kids and parents don't run the team.  This isn't Pop Warner.  It's High School football.  If you have an issue, you keep it in house, and resolve it among the team. 

Ok, ok, Let's get back to football.  I hope that Nederland uses this as a rallying point.  It would be great.

The fact that any of this is deemed "news worthy" is a crock of........!!!!

But, it looks as though Lack's side is a fabrication. Nederland admins questioned the other two players who was in the "meeting" with Lack, and their story is different than what Lack's is. ;)

But we all know, looks can be decieving.

There are three sides to every story, his, their's, and then the truth. ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86