LCM list of coaching applicants completed/INTERVIEWS FRI. SAT.

DP#1FAN

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ksensat

I dont know how acurate that statement is about MMS playing 2A in the early 90's. I played there in the early 90's and we played Vidor, Woodrow, Bridge City(who were 4A at the time) and more teams that were 4A.

I dont know how acurate that statement is about MMS playing 2A in the early 90's. I played there in the early 90's and we played Vidor, Woodrow, Bridge City(who were 4A at the time) and more teams that were 4A.

My apologies, I too went to Mauriceville in the 80’s and when playing sports we did play in 2A.  If not in the early 90’s, it might have been the late 80’s, however, I believe Coach Williams implemented this and I believe he became AD in 93 or 94.

There are so many things that can be said for and against the different perspectives we all have about the head coaching/athletic director position at LCM.  A  coach like coach Burke might just be a good fit, simply because he has developed no bad habits and doesn't think his "you know what" doesn't stink.  His work ethic is strong, and that is coming from a man like Larry Brister, whose judgement I admire and appreciate.  Because coach Burke would be moving up from within, he also would be cognizant of the in battles at the school, and the need for a good AD in addition to HC.  A fresh perspective on an old problem might be what the school needs.

As far as hiring an experienced coach goes, let me ask everyone something...who are the ones who have HC experience?  Are they the ones who have coached a successful winning program?  Or, are they the ones who are looking for a HC job because, as is wont to happen, they were "run out of town on a rail", as happened to both coach Williams, and coach Moody (I will confess to pushing the cart on one of these gentlemen)?  

Plainly and simply, winning football games is not about which offensive scheme or defensive scheme is your favorite...it's about which one works.  It's not about putting in the kid with star potential (according to his dad and all the ads placed in the local papers), it's about developing a team mentality, and finding the right fit for each player.  A successful coach takes a look at his talent pool, puts them all through their paces and picks the right kid for the right position.  A successful coach will look at the other schools in film, decide what their strengths and weaknesses are, and develop a game strategy to minimize the former, and exploit the latter.  Like a successful general, a successful coach will look at his arsenal, and use the weapons at his disposal, when needed.  He won't get stuck using the same gun, over and over, because guess what?...the opponent knows about him too.  A successful coach knows how to tell the local big wigs to shove off and let him do his job, to keep their checkbooks in the pockets, and their tongues in their mouths and let him coach.  

Great post!!!!!!

There are so many things that can be said for and against the different perspectives we all have about the head coaching/athletic director position at LCM.  A  coach like coach Burke might just be a good fit, simply because he has developed no bad habits and doesn't think his "you know what" doesn't stink.  His work ethic is strong, and that is coming from a man like Larry Brister, whose judgement I admire and appreciate.  Because coach Burke would be moving up from within, he also would be cognizant of the in battles at the school, and the need for a good AD in addition to HC.  A fresh perspective on an old problem might be what the school needs.

As far as hiring an experienced coach goes, let me ask everyone something...who are the ones who have HC experience?  Are they the ones who have coached a successful winning program?  Or, are they the ones who are looking for a HC job because, as is wont to happen, they were "run out of town on a rail", as happened to both coach Williams, and coach Moody (I will confess to pushing the cart on one of these gentlemen)?  

Plainly and simply, winning football games is not about which offensive scheme or defensive scheme is your favorite...it's about which one works.  It's not about putting in the kid with star potential (according to his dad and all the ads placed in the local papers), it's about developing a team mentality, and finding the right fit for each player.  A successful coach takes a look at his talent pool, puts them all through their paces and picks the right kid for the right position.  A successful coach will look at the other schools in film, decide what their strengths and weaknesses are, and develop a game strategy to minimize the former, and exploit the latter.  Like a successful general, a successful coach will look at his arsenal, and use the weapons at his disposal, when needed.  He won't get stuck using the same gun, over and over, because guess what?...the opponent knows about him too.  A successful coach knows how to tell the local big wigs to shove off and let him do his job, to keep their checkbooks in the pockets, and their tongues in their mouths and let him coach.  

Guest jackbquick

Hey sixmansdcoach,I don't know if you saw it but I gave you a rely about MMS.

Why is the MMS schedules that continuosly are asked for never put out for everyone to read. I have seen this asked for and am curious why MMS is the only school out of all the jr highs in this district to not play in the district. Prepare the kids for the competition they will see in High School. At least play your counterpart over at LCJH. All of the other schools in the district play their other school as the last game of the season except for Lumberton( only 1 jr high) and LCM.    

I will not use any names to avoid censorship.

It makes me angry every time I see you guys mention the last two head lcm football coaches names in the same sentence.

One of the two had some great playoff runs.

One of the two never had players quit on him.

One of the two was a disciplinarian.

One of the two had the respect of all of his players.

One of the two had the respect of all of his coworkers.

When one of them talked to his players they knew what he was saying was always the truth.

When one of them talked to his coworkers they knew what he was saying was always the truth.

One of the two sincerely wanted every girls and every boys team at lcm to succeed.

One of the two built a durn good staff.

One of the two dismantled it.

One of the two could not hold the others jock. IMO

whistle britches

I enjoyed this post, very good observation of two very different former AD's for LCM.  Hopefully the search committee will keep the positive attributes of one of the last two AD's in mind while narrowing down their applicants...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder