LCM list of coaching applicants completed/INTERVIEWS FRI. SAT.

DP#1FAN

How could LCM be interested in anyone.  I would be willing to bet once you get out of the Golden Triangle area, the don't have a clue as to who coaches where.  The school board and sup. do not follow football outside of this area, especially who is caoching where.  So I would find it hard to believe that they could be interested in anyone at this time unless they have already applied.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LCM just a little greedy. They compete and win in almost all sports, it's not a disgrace to have a few down years in one sport. 

It's not just LC-M...heck, they make movies about this stuff...

As an example, UTEP, which is not known for it's football prowess, has a coach who took them to 2 bowl games in his first 2 seasons....he posted a 5-6 mark this year, and the Miner faithful are calling for his head.  Before his tenure a 1-10 mark at UTEP would have been a "winning" season.

The problem with the last NC at LC-M is that, not only did he have unsuccessful seasons, at the same time he alienated many in other sports.  I think he would have had more support for another year as a HC IF he had been a better AD.  Is this politics?  Yep...it's part of the AD's job...if that hurts your feelings, sorry. 

If a HC wants to act like a king as a HC, and blow off his AD duties, then he dang well better have a record like, oh, I don't know...Dan Hooks.  Until then, he would be wise to remember that other sport parents and participants buy tickets and support HIS program as HC...and it would be wise to support them as well...

Very accurate explanation of how many LC-M parents feel.  If you are the AD act like the AD, otherwise drop the role and be the HC ONLY. 

Cornel Thompson would be the perfect hire but he's not leaving WOS from what i've been told. He'll be the new Chief at WOS once Hooks retires.

Coach Thompson was coaching at Stark High School when I was a sophomore 33 years ago, and it wasn't his first year either.  I don't believe that he is much younger than Coach Hooks.  He is a good coach and a good man.

I like the idea of Coach Burke taking over.  All the talk of getting some high profile coach or somebody that's been around for years and years isn't the direction we need right now.  The players want him and so do a large number of parents.  He's already got the kids respect which is the #1 priority.  A lot of kids that haven't played are ready to come back too if he gets the job.  Good things tend to happen when players believe in their coach.  Why not give him a shot.  Does anyone know if he's actually said he wants the job?

I know he applying.  I talked to him yesterday.  Watched lots of kids go talk to him from High School asking if he would come up there.  During football season, several Varsity kids were asking the same thing. He loves the game, kids and community.  I agree -- they should give him a shot.  Heard some kids were thinking of going to Super to let her know who they wanted.

I know and like Coach Burke.  He has done great things at MMS.  For the head football/AD position, shouldn't LCM look for if not a head coach or coordinator, at least a varsity football coach.  This is in no way meant to be disrespectful, but there is a tremendous difference between middle school and high school.

I know and like Coach Burke.  He has done great things at MMS.  For the head football/AD position, shouldn't LCM look for if not a head coach or coordinator, at least a varsity football coach.  This is in no way meant to be disrespectful, but there is a tremendous difference between middle school and high school.

I'm with setxasfan on this one, I've heard Moddy came from a middle school.

I agree completely that there are difference between middle school and high school but wasn't Moody a high school coach??? Not knocking you setxsfan -- I think we can't count anyone out because they were not a varsity coach or coordinator.  At this point in the Bear Program, i say give him a shot!! We are at our lowest point.  He cares about the kids, knows the kids and the kids want to play for him. Plus he wants the job !  

I have no doubt that he cares about the kids and wants the job.  The program is about as low as it can possible get.  I just think passing up on some of the others who are going to apply will be a mistake.  If a Mike Long, Randy Theriot, Mike Stewart, or Troy Bolton apply, I could not see LCM passing up on one of these guys.

I agree Setxasfan but I guess I am a little old school in thinking that -- we are in a deep hole.... why not promote from within??  Especially since the kids are wanting it and Burke wants it too.  That is a problem at LCM - loyalty. I am not sure he has been there but I know he replaced Sam Moore --- but I think he deserves a fair shot.  I agree - LCM should explore all options.  But we need someone who is willing to stay for a while.  Not someone who is looking for a stepping stone.  Some of those guys move a lot.

The fact that this is even a discussion tels exactly where the district is.  If you want to be come the laughing stock of the state, hire a Jr. High coach as the head coach.  Now, if he has HC or coordinator experience, that is different.  But if he does not, I am in shock that he will even apply.  NO....Moody was the Jr. High mentor or laiason (sp?).  He was a varsity coach for a guy that has several state champioship rings and some conference championship rings from a place called Texas A&M.  I am here to tell you Moody's football background is quality.  He just was not the right fit for LC-M and that happens in a lot of places.  Whoever is making the decision should look closely at the resumes and make a decision and stand behind that decision.  Don't hire someone because that is who everybody else wants or because you need someone fast.  Hire the best man for the job and give him what it takes to be successful.  Good grief there are some crazy posts on here.

bellison has it right.  I wanted to be as nice as possible and not disrespect anyone.  Someone who has no varsity experience has no business being a head coach/AD.  He is doing quality work for LCM with what he is doing now and that is teach the young players basics and fundamentals.  That is an extrememly important job in any school district.  All successful programs have a solid foundation set at the middle school level.  I would love to see him stay in that capacity.

Hey -- when you are the laughing joke of every game you play -- you want someone who cares, wants to be there and will give 100%.  Moody could have cared less this year. The kids knew, fans knew it.  I want someone who will get in there and make the kids bust their butt, Football is not for pansies!! Make them respect all aspects of the game.  We don't need a yes man for the higher ups.  I am one for someone who is there for the kids.  Burke, Bolton, Theriot, Long are all good choices.  Some of these names have been head caoches and were winnless..... It's about the kids and who they respect. They can make or break you.  Ask Moody -- you should have seen the kids in the stands who would NOT play for him.  Granted - they should be playing for the love of the game but there comes a point to where enough craziness is enough.  I hate the saying that he kept saying "We are a younger team." duhhh -- Your juniors and seniors did not want to play for him.  

Hey -- when you are the laughing joke of every game you play -- you want someone who cares, wants to be there and will give 100%.  Moody could have cared less this year. The kids knew, fans knew it.  I want someone who will get in there and make the kids bust their butt, Football is not for pansies!! Make them respect all aspects of the game.  We don't need a yes man for the higher ups.  I am one for someone who is there for the kids.  Burke, Bolton, Theriot, Long are all good choices.  Some of these names have been head caoches and were winnless..... It's about the kids and who they respect. They can make or break you.  Ask Moody -- you should have seen the kids in the stands who would NOT play for him.  Granted - they should be playing for the love of the game but there comes a point to where enough craziness is enough.  I hate the saying that he kept saying "We are a younger team." duhhh -- Your juniors and seniors did not want to play for him.  

;) Good Post

Just trying to put in perspective Roughrider.  I got a bone in this fight.  I want my Bears to become competive again.  I want those kids to gear up and come ready to give 200% Friday night instead of feeling like they are just going to get killed before they hit the field.  We got a AD with a "quality" background as Bellison said.  Don't knock those JR. high coaches -- some of their games were way better than our Friday night games!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder