LCM list of coaching applicants completed/INTERVIEWS FRI. SAT.

DP#1FAN

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure are missing a lot of post

Yeah, but it had turned into something else entirely, rather than talking about football, it had turned ugly (sheepishly raises my hand). 

The new HC/AD needs to learn how to work with all of the different sports to understand their needs.  If he doesn't have it in his budget to help a lot financially, then, by the same token, neither should he stand in the way of progress if those coaches have found funds outside the normal budget.  As AD, he needs to support the other programs, until such time as the football team is up and running.  Why is this important?  Because, people will support a football program if they feel they are not being short changed in other areas.  A successful baseball or softball program, for example, will be out there supporting the football team, if they feel that, at least in a small way, they are supported as well. 

As a HC, the new candidate should look at his team, and  decide the best course of action.  You aren't going to be able to "run it up the gut" if your HB, FB, or TB is 5'9", and weighs 140.  There are other offenses that take advantage of other strengths that the same player might have.  In the trenches, if you have an underweight line that is fast, adapt!  You won't dominate 6'7" 280 lb heifers, but you can tire them out so much with a different offense that takes advantage of...guess what? ...your line's other strengths.

Well, Life is good in Bear land.  I am glad Moody resigned early enough where LCM can start looking and get someone in to start getting the program on the right track!!!!

Is anyone from inside the district looking at the job??? Varsity or lower levels applying?? I hear the kids are hoping for one of lower level coaches to step up but not sure who that would be. Just hear say....

I hope the program gets back on its feet since no more BOJO!!!!  Our Bears are tough and the kids wanted the changed -- now they have to step up.  Step 1 was new coach -- that is happening.  Step 2 is getting all kids who want to play out --- should be happening. Lots of exciting changes and hopefully all good!!!!!!  Bears need to pull together and show 20-4A that they can compete!!!!! :)

Not only is there a problem with the AD at LCM there is a problem with the Queen (Superintendent) and her court.  They're the ones that passed on hiring Crouch or Owens, instead they hire an unknown who coached at a middle school in West Texas.  I firmly believe that not only the AD needs to go, the Superintendent needs to go as well.

I really don't believe any real change will occur in LCM until Mrs. KOGT.COM is gone.  And let me correct some bad information.  The droves of teachers who have left the district in the past years have not left because of salaries.  LCM salaries are comparable to most districts in Southeast Texas (except Beaumont/Port Arthur).  The reason these teachers have left the district and now teach outside of THEIR community is because of the sorry leadership the Queen has put in place.  Job description for a leader in LCM: Sound good and look good.  No depth required!  Sorry but the truth hurts. 

First thing I would do as the New Head Coach is have a meeting for all Male students at LCM in the Gym, you need to appeal to them that you cannot do it alone it will take every Bear in the stands to turn this around.

Since the computer crashed and we lost so many post let me repeat, Our School Board and it's members know noting about Football....Zero....Nada....

Put together a search committee, I suggested about 6 or 7 Business Men in the area that had son's and daughters play at LCM but no longer have that tie. They just care about LCM sports and want to help.

Again a few names: Poutrea,Trahan,Reeves,Landry,Green,Mize......this list could go on but I am sure these men would give of there personel time to help with the process.

First thing I would do as the New Head Coach is have a meeting for all Male students at LCM in the Gym, you need to appeal to them that you cannot do it alone it will take every Bear in the stands to turn this around.

Since the computer crashed and we lost so many post let me repeat, Our School Board and it's members know noting about Football....Zero....Nada....

Put together a search committee, I suggested about 6 or 7 Business Men in the area that had son's and daughters play at LCM but no longer have that tie. They just care about LCM sports and want to help.

Again a few names: Poutrea,Trahan,Reeves,Landry,Dugas,Green,Mize......this list could go on but I am sure these men would give of there personel time to help with the process.

This post kills me, although its very funny. 

And just what do those business men know about football?  Probably nothing, nada, zero.  Those business men's rear ends are not in the fire, the supt's is.  The board hires nobody, the supt does.  The supt can put together a committee but ultimately she/he is the one responsible.  Legally the supt is the only one who can hire and fire.  The only person the board can hire/fire is the supt. 

There will be a committee I am sure.  That is the way it is these days and that is a good thing.  I am sure the JH principal, HS principal, a couple of teachers, maybe a coach from another sport, personnel dir., and then maybe a community member.  They will go through the resumes and discard all the ones that do not meet the minimum requirements.  Then go through them again and pick out the best ones.  Then set up interviews.  Then pick 3-5 for the Supt. to look at then all sit down and decide who they want to hire.  That is the way it is and the way it should be.  One person does not make the hire and a group of people who have no business in the school will not make the decision.  The AD is an important administrative position in the school and that hire affects a lot of people in the school from counselors who are trying to schedule athletic periods to principals trying to get coaches in the athletic period.  There will be new people coming in for sure. 

If you want a good head coach / AD, be prepared to meet demands like all coaches in the athletic periods and the coordinators in both athletic periods.  2 conference periods for the coordinators and no second sports for the coordinators.  That is the way it is in your bigger schools.  That way, you can bring in good, solid, wxperienced guys and maybe bring in people from more successful programs.  You have to sweeten the deal so to say.

There will be a committee I am sure.  That is the way it is these days and that is a good thing.  I am sure the JH principal, HS principal, a couple of teachers, maybe a coach from another sport, personnel dir., and then maybe a community member.  They will go through the resumes and discard all the ones that do not meet the minimum requirements.  Then go through them again and pick out the best ones.  Then set up interviews.  Then pick 3-5 for the Supt. to look at then all sit down and decide who they want to hire.  That is the way it is and the way it should be.  One person does not make the hire and a group of people who have no business in the school will not make the decision.  The AD is an important administrative position in the school and that hire affects a lot of people in the school from counselors who are trying to schedule athletic periods to principals trying to get coaches in the athletic period.  There will be new people coming in for sure. 

If you want a good head coach / AD, be prepared to meet demands like all coaches in the athletic periods and the coordinators in both athletic periods.  2 conference periods for the coordinators and no second sports for the coordinators.  That is the way it is in your bigger schools.  That way, you can bring in good, solid, wxperienced guys and maybe bring in people from more successful programs.  You have to sweeten the deal so to say.

I always knew your were a hard worker but I didnt know you were so smart. ;D

Not so much smart as been around for a while.  I guess you kinda learn these things as you go.  Still learning though.  I really would love to see someone come in there and get it back to where David had it in the mid 90's.  Been away for a while but still keep up and want to see them succeed.  Shoot me a message to tell me who you are.  I have gotten a lot of messages saying hello from a lot of friends.

Not so much smart as been around for a while.  I guess you kinda learn these things as you go.  Still learning though.  I really would love to see someone come in there and get it back to where David had it in the mid 90's.  Been away for a while but still keep up and want to see them succeed.  Shoot me a message to tell me who you are.  I have gotten a lot of messages saying hello from a lot of friends.

David was a vicitm of "Aggie style" grumblings.  When things didn't go well, we all wanted him out, like all the Aggie faithful called for RC Slocum's head when they hit a rough spot...funny...look what they got, and look what we got...

And notice I say "we"...'cause I was the moron in the stands that was shouting "if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's a duck" wneh the Bears were running the ball during his tenure.  Like all the others I wanted more, the grass looked greener on the other side...

Someone from David's tenure would be great...these coaches knew the community, and were not outsiders looking to make a name and move on...

I would agree that the names mentioned above are all great coaches and would be great for LCM.  I would also agree that they would be difficult if not impossible to get. So, here is a name that would be a great fit.  Josh Rankin. Plenty of coordinating experience at several schools.  Played for Jeff Harrell’s defense some of the best in the history of the school. D coordinator for DW. Has ties to the community that might give him a better idea of what it would take at LCM specifically.  Just because a system works at one school doesn’t mean it would work anywhere. I would hope that Coach Rankin is at least on the final short list. I think he could be great for decades, and really provide some consistency for the athletic department.

Alot of people owe David Williams an apology.  I would love to see the school come together and name the field or field house after him to show the thanks he did for the school and community.  It is a shame that when he left he was given no party, ceremony or anything for the years of service he gave to the kids, school and community.

I hope Josh applies.  He would be great for the community.  I talked to him the other day and we discussed LC-M but I am not sure if he is going to apply or not.  He is probably making more money as an ass't where he is than LC-M pays their AD.  That is not a joke either.

If you want a good head coach / AD, be prepared to meet demands like all coaches in the athletic periods and the coordinators in both athletic periods.  2 conference periods for the coordinators and no second sports for the coordinators.  That is the way it is in your bigger schools.   That way, you can bring in good, solid, wxperienced guys and maybe bring in people from more successful programs.  You have to sweeten the deal so to say.

To me, here lies one of the problems.  Are you going to do this like bigger schools or are you going to do this like smaller schools?  Are we just going to do football like bigger schools and not the other boys sports and girls sports?

That is the way most AD's approach programs these days.  Run the football program like you are at Notre Dame but run the rest of your boys and girls sports like you wish they were not in your way.  They make all decisions with football in mind and tell the public that that the decision was made in the best interest of the program when in fact everybody involves knows it was not.

AD's Head Fooball Coaches that do not do this type of thing are few and far between.

If you want your football program to be successful, you will have to do what you highlighted in my first post.  I am not trying to say anything about the other sports.  Ask Coop about my background in other sports.  I am just telling you how it has to be if you want to run a quality football program.  LC-M is a big school.  It is 4-A so that is what you need to be thinking like.  If you think small school, you will look small school.  No disrespect to small schools intended so please do not start jumping on that comment and hammering me about it.  Any coach can tell you that big school and small school are two totally different animals.

What's up my man?  I dropped a card off at S's office last spring when I was recruiting in the area.  Never heard from you guys.....I will be down over Christmas break with the kids.....message me your number so I can give you a call.....A good seeeeegawr sounds good to me....

Mr. Ellison

3amagic was not throwing a jab at you. I understood exactly what he was trying to say.

He was saying hire an AD that will treat all sports like they are big school.  I have seen this problem for years.  If you are going to hire a head football coach that does not teach class.  Hire an offensive coordinator that teaches one PE class a day.  Then hire a defensive coordinator that teaches one PE class a day.  You have given three top football coaches a schedule that is conducive to winning.  (and most don't stop there) Football is one of eight major team sports.  Ex. Jay Stone left Nederland Baseball Coaching position because he was teaching something like seven Math classes a day.  The argument that gets started when is that no one ever gives even the head coach of those other four major boys sports or the head coaches of the other major girls sports an inch of a break in their schedule to help them succeed.

WHY is this?

Football is the most important sport in Texas.  Except to the thousands of coaches, players, and parents of players that do not coach or play football. (I am saying this and I was a football basketball and track guy) The sport they play and coach is the most important sport to them and they would like the opportunity to succeed as well. 

Ellison, I think you have in both of these sets of shoes.  Care to shine some light on this topic?

In Texas, Football is the most important sport because it is the sport that brings in the revenue that funds most of the other sports. Basketball is next, but no school can support and athletic program off of the few hundred fans that show up for baseball, softball, or track meet. I am a baseball man, but it is not treated as a first line high school sport at many schools. Many of the ones that do treat baseball as a major sport are the ones who usually play past the district schedule.

I do understand that all sports are important.  I was that other sport guy.  I am just answering responses on the football aspect.  It is crazy for a head coach of any sport to have to teach more than 4 classes in a 7 period day.  I think most AD's (or at least the ones I have been around) are very supportive of all sports.  A coach that is AD/HFC that goes 2-8 or 3-7 year in and year out will lose their job no matter how good of an AD they are.  That is reality and we all know that going in. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012

• Meh.. Everyone knows this. The kid that got injured wasn't lifting weights. Supposedly he was hit with a helmet in his elbow. In my opinion the kid shouldn't have been put in that situation. AD should've told the Varsity baseball players to sit that one out. I have no issues with the lifting or conditioning. However, anytime helmets/pads are on there is a higher risk of injury. This AD showed a total lack of respect for HIS baseball program. 
    • Maybe.. however..  Many athletic director / head football coach have lost their job despite the athletic program as a whole being successful.. if the football team struggles.  On the other hand, when football teams are doing great but the rest of the program stinks.. AD/HFC still keeps their job. WOS.  Newton. .. programs as a whole were fairly weak during those many years of football power and very few people even knew it.  Or cared. Yet, AD/HFC kept their jobs for years. Meanwhile, I remember an AD/HFC at Barbers Hill lost his job after every program in the school won district championships and even had several team sports (baseball, softball, girls hoops, etc.) making runs at state.  But the football team was mediocre.  Fired. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that perception is reality.  And the perception is that your athletic program can suck as long as football wins.. it doesn't matter how strong the athletic program is if football sucks. 
    • 5A Bi-District Baseball: Friendswood vs. Nederland -Game 1: Thursday (May 2): 6:30pm -Game 2: Friday (May 3): 6:30pm -Game 3 (If Needed): Saturday (May 4): 12pm *All games at Goose Creek Memorial HS*
    • Baseball mafia can cry all they want but when the talent isn’t there it ain’t there lol
    • It's only a matter of time before the baseball mafia starts greasing the tracks to run Crumedy out of town. It'll be a dang shame too, but mark my words. 
  • Topics