LCM list of coaching applicants completed/INTERVIEWS FRI. SAT.

DP#1FAN

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last two statements you make epitomize the problem there......  The reason it will be hard for an outsider to come in is because lil' Johnnie didn't get his way so now he is not playing....you will never win with those type o kids anyway....and kid's interest is back up?  As a football coach, you want the kids on the field that are going to be there no matter what first and foremost....then the others will fall into place accordingly.....yes, there needs to interest but for the right reasons......

Even though experience should not be the deciding factor, I do believe that varsity coaching experience is extremely important.  The right fit for the job will be the one chosen.  After a couple of years, we will see if that is still the opinion.  Like it was said earlier, not everyone will be happy with the decision.  If Coach Burke does get the job and certain kids still do not play, will those parents believe that he is the right coach or will they complain to everyone who will listen?  Again, even though experience should not be the deciding factor, do you want to turn over the multi-million dollar corporation to a guy who works in the mail room?

Parents will always find an excuse why their darlings didn't play or why they fumbled.  LCM has more than their share of finger-pointers.  Whoever gets the job has to have tough skin.  I am at the point of hire Burke because he has shown his dedication and love for the school.  He runs his small school with success.  Now, high school will be a challenge. But if he thinks he can handle -- why not.  We went outside with Moody.  Not good.  Crouch would not be bad either if WOS lets go of him.  You could put Nick Sabin in there and someone would find fault with it all.  Can't make some people happy no matter what you do or who you hire.  

Does anyone know details?? When are they posting, Whoelse is interested???

I like that my earlier post was "Looney" and the idea of handing the reigns to a JH coach with no varsity experience is not, but I like Coach Burke he is a good guy and very dedicated to MMS, I would love to see him as maybe an DC or OC first, then if he has success move up like the standard coaching levels work. You cannot compare playing evadale and buna JH to Nederland PNG Ozen and the talent of this district.

Again before I get attacked by family, I like Coach Burke but is he really ready for a AD position?

My Ranking:

1.Alverez- if he would apply

2.Crouch

3.Rankin- Def. Cord at LCM and the Kids loved him and he demanded and recieved respect

4.Bolton- again OFF Cord. and has done this awhile

what about Smalley the OC from BC?

His accomplishments at WO-S speak for themselves. It would not hurt for a little Mustang toughness to be brought over to LC-M IMO

So would he be more qualified than Dan Hooks if he applied?  What about if Larry Neumann applied?  

LOL sorry, that made even me laugh.

The last two statements you make epitomize the problem there......  The reason it will be hard for an outsider to come in is because lil' Johnnie didn't get his way so now he is not playing....you will never win with those type o kids anyway....and kid's interest is back up?  As a football coach, you want the kids on the field that are going to be there no matter what first and foremost....then the others will fall into place accordingly.....yes, there needs to interest but for the right reasons......

Your right on with this post bellison.....What kids are signing this ridiculous petition is it kids from just Mauriceville, or is it high school kids are kids from LC jr high or from all three? Winning puts boys on the field and fans in the stands no matter where you are.

may i ask you how old a man is he.let me try and tell you something,i am sure coach burk is a super guy and a very good coach.but he MUST LOOK AT IT THIS WAY.lets just say he applys and gets the job ok.now lets just say he goes 0-10 his first year a lc-m ,maybe 1-9 his 2nd year his head is going to roll and he may never get a chance to head coach agan,this is what he must think about .i have see this happen before  its very very sad.this is not jr high football just becouse the kids like him and play hard for him he MUST prove himself as a hight school head coach and people at lc-m need a winner soon are your not around to  long. sorry my friend sad but true

All this talk about "experience" made me think of a man named Lawrence Frank.   If you haven't read his story, you might want to take a look.  This is the guy coaching the NBA's New Jersey Nets.  The same guy that not only did NOT play college basketball, but did NOT even make his high school team.  The same guy that starting coaching in the NBA at age 33.  The same guy that set the NBA record for the most consecutive wins by a head coach just beginning his coaching career ( 13 ).  

Granted, picking someone with experience increases your odds of hiring the right guy;  BUT, as has been said many times on this thread:  Experience does not necessary equal success....  and vice versa:  someone with a short resume could be a great fit.

I really don't have an opinion one way or the other... I just hope the "board" genuinely considers each coach that applies...  it would be a big mistake ( in my opinion ) to make up your mind early in the process and not seriously examen each candidate.  

Also, I would second the notion that some great coaches coach on "lower levels" ;   not because they HAVE to , but because the choose to.  They choose to spend more time with their family or maybe they think they can have a larger impact on the lives of the younger kids.  Coaching and teaching are two jobs that many of us do NOT put enough value on.  Many of these guys/gals spend more hours per week with the kids then their own parents do!

God bless,

jesusfreak

Guest ksensat

Well I think bottom line is we need an Ad and Administration needs to get the ball rolling to see who even wants to apply for the job. Then we can see if Burke or any other JH coaches are the best canidate. My buddy has worked with the coaches out at LCM and has nothing but good things to say about all of them. I don't think Burke is the answer here but I don't know who he is up against either. He may not be the best for the job but he can't be the worst either. So maybe LCM needs to get the ball rolling and we can see what we have to pick from.

In the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s Mauriceville played in the 2A classification.  They played teams such as Deweyville, High Island and Sabine Pass.  LC Jr. High has played in the same district as the High School whether it being in the 3A or 4A classifications.   I believe Coach Williams was the person responsible for placing Mauriceville in the same district as the High School and they played the same schools.  

People might not be familiar with Mauriceville it is  extremely small and had a hard time competing in Football against the larger schools.  Track, Basketball and Volleyball is the only team sports to compete in the district for Mauriceville, Football does not.  I believe that still today, the teams either compete against B teams or the 8th grade competes against the 7th grade teams.  When they don‘t play B teams, they do play against Beaumont St. Anne‘s and Deweyville on occasions.

Prior to Mauriceville making the move from 2A to the same district as the High school they were dominate in most years in all sports in Mauriceville.  Coach Williams attempted to place them in the same district to attempt to prepare the kids for the Nederland’s, Port Neches-Groves and West Orange Stark teams when they reached the High School levels, however, when doing so the teams were usually handled pretty good and the kids eventually shrink in numbers do to the level of competition they seen on a regular basis.

With that said, I’m not trying to bash Mauriceville Athletes some of the greatest athletes came from Mauriceville over the years.  Melanie Hamerly, Beau Hale and Buster Ascol just to name a few of a very long list of great athletes.    

I will not use any names to avoid censorship.

It makes me angry every time I see you guys mention the last two head lcm football coaches names in the same sentence.

One of the two had some great playoff runs.

One of the two never had players quit on him.

One of the two was a disciplinarian.

One of the two had the respect of all of his players.

One of the two had the respect of all of his coworkers.

When one of them talked to his players they knew what he was saying was always the truth.

When one of them talked to his coworkers they knew what he was saying was always the truth.

One of the two sincerely wanted every girls and every boys team at lcm to succeed.

One of the two built a durn good staff.

One of the two dismantled it.

One of the two could not hold the others jock. IMO

whistle britches

I will not use any names to avoid censorship.

It makes me angry every time I see you guys mention the last two head lcm football coaches names in the same sentence.

One of the two had some great playoff runs.

One of the two never had players quit on him.

One of the two was a disciplinarian.

One of the two had the respect of all of his players.

One of the two had the respect of all of his coworkers.

When one of them talked to his players they knew what he was saying was always the truth.

When one of them talked to his coworkers they knew what he was saying was always the truth.

One of the two sincerely wanted every girls and every boys team at lcm to succeed.

One of the two built a durn good staff.

One of the two dismantled it.

One of the two could not hold the others jock. IMO

whistle britches

Amen to that, DW was the best thing they had going for them.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder