LCM list of coaching applicants completed/INTERVIEWS FRI. SAT.

DP#1FAN

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

larry,i for one do not know  your coach and i feel for sure he is a very good coach and he should place his hat in for the job my friend.i am sure who ever has the last say in the hireing of the next lc-m coach will take a good look at him i hope.if  i might ask you this larry, dose he run the offence thire that moody runs at the hight school and if so how did you guys come out this year

If people think that junior high coaches aren't capable then they obviously don't know much football.  Some of the games most creative and inspiring coaches are at the junior high levels.  And yes, most junior high coaches have varsity experience. 

Take this for example, a guy is coaching varsity and he has a son in 6th grade.  He asks to be put at the junior high level so that he can coach his son.  I've seen it happen several times.  Sometimes guys go to the jh level to get away from the politics.  Sometimes the teaching fields dont match.  And yes sometimes they are beginners or are on their way out (retirement). 

Dang it Larry, you trumped my post as the best post on this thread....hahahahahahahahahaha......you know the man better than me and if you say he can get it done then I am sure he can......you are a good judge of character and I know you know what your talking about when you talk football......I really do hope they get someone in there that can get it done......If Josh Rankin applies, that is the guy they really need to take a look at.....If Mike Stewart applies, same thing......there is a list of guys that have a vested interest and great background that if they apply, should have a great shot.......I have had a few folks ask if I would apply.....my response is "not a chance in hades."  lol.......I am in a great situation and really don't see me going anywhere else for a while.....College football is great and a lot of fun to coach......Take care all.......Good luck in your search

Great Post Larry!!!!  Coach Burke may not have all the "qualifications" like others but I know he will give 100% and wants to do the best for the LCM community!!!  The kids respect him, parents respect him too.  Not sure what offense he ran at the middle school but whatever it was -- the Panthers won or at least were very competitive.  And that's what it takes.  You can't be stubborn and say this is the only offense I am going to run.  That gets you an 0-8 record.  You got to capitalize on your kids strengths.  We are a young Bear team that if all the kids come back out -- we could be a force to deal with in 20-4A football.  Coach Burke is a good, hard working, respectable man that deserves a fair shot like the others applying.  I can promise you -- those at the high school right now -- know who he is and know the kids want him. Heard his family is getting calls from parents and players asking him to applying.  Says a lot in this community. 

My name is Larry Brister,I will say what I have to say using my real name.I've coached with Coach Burke for 3 years, he is an excellent coach and man. He has a great feel and mind for the game,and he knows how to get the kids to play at another level. Everyone has a right to their opinion, bellison is also a coach I respect and knows the game and a good friend. He gave his opinion and used his real name I respect that. The fact is 95% of posters here if they were put on a board couldn't draw up a 50, 46, split, couldn't tell a secondary coverage or if that coverage had a robber. Is that DT in a 3,2 or1 tech,is that end a 9, 6, or 7, did the OL trap or combo, you get the idea. But it amazes me how many know exactly what LCM needs or feels they should be a part of hiring him. I took some classes that relate to law in high school and I watch alot of Judge Judy on TV, but I would never go to Tommy Gunn's or Jim Bearden's office and tell them who they should or shouldn't hire. But I guess it just gets to me when a good coach gets dogged just for applying for a job. If you think he shouldn't be hired , that's your right, but when you attack a man's ability that you don't know , at least be man and use your real name.

Agreed, Coach B...Stevo "the great" agrees too...

There is not one, NOT ONE head coach out there that started out as a head coach.  Somewhere along the line, someone took a chance on a good man.  In the same way, it is possible that this may be that chance for Coach Burke, and in a way for LCM.  You can have all the boxes checked on your resume, and still fail as a coach, if you can't get that magical "something extra" out of a team that takes your guys higher when the chips are down.  Is it possible that coach Burke has that?  I can't say for sure...but it seems that when you have kids chomping at the bit to play for you, there is a good possibility you might have it...

Thanks guys,I wasn't looking for praise just wanted people to be fair. Skipper MMS ran the same O and D .In 2006 Coach Burke installed the complete varsity playbook and sets O and D,we where handed a paired down playbook but Coach Moody saw the kids could absorb it and gave us the go ahead. We went undefeated and only allowed 6 points all season, MMS also went undefeated this year. You always make good points are you a coach? Bellison, thanks man that means alot coming from you,I know you are light years ahead of me when it comes to knowing the game? Hey Mr. M how is Steve doing,you better show at the baseball games this year.

MMS and LC Jr. High for the last several years both had great Football teams.  This years seniors when they were in Mauriceville lost two games, The Cubs I believe won the 20 4A District Title.  It seems when the kids complete there middle school years they start to dwindle in numbers.  Select sports such as Soccer and Baseball seem to overtake football and they don’t play anymore.  This years Seniors when they were in the ninth grade had over 80 kids participate in Football.  As Seniors I doubt if they had 15 left playing.  I’ve also seen over the years kids leaving the LCM school district to play for other schools such as Deweyville and WOS.

My name is Larry Brister,I will say what I have to say using my real name.I've coached with Coach Burke for 3 years, he is an excellent coach and man. He has a great feel and mind for the game,and he knows how to get the kids to play at another level. Everyone has a right to their opinion, bellison is also a coach I respect and knows the game and a good friend. He gave his opinion and used his real name I respect that. The fact is 95% of posters here if they were put on a board couldn't draw up a 50, 46, split, couldn't tell a secondary coverage or if that coverage had a robber. Is that DT in a 3,2 or1 tech,is that end a 9, 6, or 7, did the OL trap or combo, you get the idea. But it amazes me how many know exactly what LCM needs or feels they should be a part of hiring him. I took some classes that relate to law in high school and I watch alot of Judge Judy on TV, but I would never go to Tommy Gunn's or Jim Bearden's office and tell them who they should or shouldn't hire. But I guess it just gets to me when a good coach gets dogged just for applying for a job. If you think he shouldn't be hired , that's your right, but when you attack a man's ability that you don't know , at least be man and use your real name.

very well said

Guest ksensat

I know you have to be givin a chance so that you can gain experience but I feel like if you have coached JH your whole career, maybe you should take smaller steps and be an assistant first. Not saying that JH coaches are not capable but it will help keep the community off his back if he finds himself in trouble. Key word HELP. Good Luck to whoever takes over our program and I hope we get the right guy this time, Whoever it is.

The boy's and girl's athletes already have a petition going around to have Coach Burke from Mauriceville get the job.  They also have a group that wants to go before the board and ask for Burke personally.  The kids obviously have a lot a faith and trust in this guy to go to such measures.  Who to say this guy can't get the job done.  Just because some think they need a high profile coach to come in doesn't necessarily mean they have the kids best interest in mind.  The kids know who they want to play for and who can get the job done.  It appears that Burke is their #1 choice.  Why can't the kids have a say in the matter?

Hey 77 - that's the same question Lumberton asked when they were looking at Credeur.  The kids wanted him but he was still known as the jr high coach.  Look where they are now.  Experience seems to be the popular answer to LC-M's problem - I would take a look at a coach the kids will bust their butts for too.  Burke has been at Mauriceville for years and most of those as the jr high AD.  He's not as in-experienced as you think.  He could have been on the varsity staff the last few years but was smart enough not to get caught up in that mess - and what a mess it was.  He didn't leave to go coach high school at another school because he is LC-M all the way.  It's time to promote this guy to the job and let the critics see what can happen when the right man is hired for the job.

Guest ksensat

Well what kids are signing the petition? Mauriceville kids or LC kids or both? I agree we need to hire a coach with the kids best interest in mind and thats why I feel like the JH coaches that have been there a while should have input on who they bring in. I also believe that the kids are going to play for the new coach. They had a problem with Moody not anyone else. I know some of you Mauriceville guys really like Burke and I feel like he should coach on the Varsity level but as an assistant so that when he does become an AD one day he will have the experience on his resume which gives the fans one less thing to ridicule him for. I will back whoever they decide to hire, I always have, it is just my opinion that they should not hire anyone without any experience.

When I was a sophomore at LC-M in 1985, we went though a coaching change when Dupree left.  We the football team all got together and went to the school board meeting and ask i they would keep the hiring in house.  We asked for David Williams. The hired Pat Wozniak.  I commend the kids for stepping up for what they want, but don't be surprised if they don't really listen to them.

The petition include MMS and LC football, baseball, Basketball, Soccer, etc.  Girls too because my niece and four of her friends signed it yesterday.  Don't knock this guys experience.  To say he has none is a slap in the face.  He's been praised and slammed and can handle it just like any other coach.   He's coached 5 undefeated teams in the last seven years and took more heat for that then our varsity did.  There's guys on every varsity staff in our district that can't hold a candle to our jr high coaches at MMS and LC.  Apparently these guys are more adequate for the job though - because they have "experience".  I disagree.  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder