Mike Trahan - NEW Buna Head Football Coach

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Going to be very tough getting a quality head football coach.

No AD title and will be required to teach a subject and not PE.

Will be a good opportunity for a coach that is trying to move up. A successful coordinator moving into a HC role is a step in the right direction. 

8 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

True but that's a recipe for a revolving door.

But they might get lucky.

Could go either way. Many of them have revolving doors with AD/HC combined as well. I think it is a good transition for a potential HC candidate that is currently a coordinator. They get full control of the team without having to deal with the non football issues 

Just now, 89Falcon said:

Could go either way. Many of them have revolving doors with AD/HC combined as well. I think it is a good transition for a potential HC candidate that is currently a coordinator. They get full control of the team without having to deal with the non football issues 

Don't see many of those at the 3A level and above.

Success is few and far between in that scenario.

Like I said, will be tough but not necessarily impossible.

16 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Don't see many of those at the 3A level and above.

Success is few and far between in that scenario.

Like I said, will be tough but not necessarily impossible.

I agree - The head coach will be there three years max then move on to another school to get the AD title and $. 

But will be a good spot to get HC experience. 

The real question is, why is this becoming a thing for smaller schools?  Save the money and hire an AD who can handle, coordinate and facilitate the job duties required, or am I missing something?  It seems the pay for these HC's without the AD title is on the lower side, so wouldn't that in turn reduce the amount of suitable candidates with aspiring dreams of becoming "the guy" to lead a program (where football matters)? 

1 hour ago, LIBERTY82 said:

so wouldn't that in turn reduce the amount of suitable candidates with aspiring dreams of becoming "the guy" to lead a program (where football matters)?

Just in the case for Buna, do you think they are really looking for a guy that can bring them to the dance, or probably just looking for a decent coach that won't destroy the program that's good with kids? I'm guessing the latter.

11 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Just in the case for Buna, do you think they are really looking for a guy that can bring them to the dance, or probably just looking for a decent coach that won't destroy the program that's good with kids? I'm guessing the latter.

Just hang a clipboard and whistle on one of those stupid telephone poles between the stands and the field and let them boys play. 

11 hours ago, CHIEFsWIN said:

Does anyone know the Teaching Fields available for the new HC? This is interesting move. 

SPE no special requirements.  Pass the TC test and you can teach SPE.  Other subjects such as math, history, chemistry, etc.  you need to have so many accredited hours (basically a degree in that field/subject) and then pass the TC test for that subject.

On 1/10/2024 at 11:34 AM, LIBERTY82 said:

The real question is, why is this becoming a thing for smaller schools?  Save the money and hire an AD who can handle, coordinate and facilitate the job duties required, or am I missing something?  It seems the pay for these HC's without the AD title is on the lower side, so wouldn't that in turn reduce the amount of suitable candidates with aspiring dreams of becoming "the guy" to lead a program (where football matters)? 

A lot of the time it's to establish continuity, especially if a coach uses the school for a springboard to a bigger/better job.  If a coach was HC/AD and only stayed 2 years then left, the school would have to run the risk of hiring another coach that might do the same thing plus there's no one to be the boss over the different program HCs (basketball, baseball, etc.).  Having an AD in place keeps the various programs running, especially with finances or if they need something done.  

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to Mike Trahan - NEW Buna Head Football Coach