Mike Trahan - NEW Buna Head Football Coach

On 1/11/2024 at 12:30 PM, highsky said:

A lot of the time it's to establish continuity, especially if a coach uses the school for a springboard to a bigger/better job.  If a coach was HC/AD and only stayed 2 years then left, the school would have to run the risk of hiring another coach that might do the same thing plus there's no one to be the boss over the different program HCs (basketball, baseball, etc.).  Having an AD in place keeps the various programs running, especially with finances or if they need something done.  

Is there an example of where this has worked out to the benefit of the kids, in relation to success in multiple sports, including football?  I can't think of any programs who have had success at the lower levels with a "head coach" for football?  

With no time line for hiring this could take some time. They have some very good athletes in there in Jr. High now. Whoever they hire it may take a little time. I think they graduated a lot of seniors off the football team. Best of luck on their search.

17 minutes ago, DP#1FAN said:

With no time line for hiring this could take some time. They have some very good athletes in there in Jr. High now. Whoever they hire it may take a little time. I think they graduated a lot of seniors off the football team. Best of luck on their search.

Yeah I’ve heard they have a good group in middle school….

1 hour ago, Guitar Man said:

Not to be a negative Nancy, but having some good groups come through in JH usually doesn't translate to HS success. Back when I was in JH school, we destroyed everyone, went undefeated and were "district champs". Senior year in HS we went 5-5 and our coach got canned at the end of the year. 🤷‍♂️

Good point, but I'll take a successful JR High team over a nonwinning group any day and I think this may be more true with the smaller school districts. 

14 hours ago, TXHORN_ET said:

Nothing against the kids or coaches, but these successful jh teams get into high school and have to fight to finish 4th in district. 3rd if they’re fortunate. Sure beats 5th!

Yeah idk I guess it depends on the development and programs… I can remember when Kountze would do very well in football in middle school…of course when I was in school most of the basketball guys didn’t play football as well once they got into high school and that handicapped the football program for years there… People for years thought Kountze was just bad at football… It wasn’t necessarily the case lol All the top athletes we had just didn’t play football in high school. 

On 1/23/2024 at 2:17 PM, Guitar Man said:

Not to be a negative Nancy, but having some good groups come through in JH usually doesn't translate to HS success. Back when I was in JH school, we destroyed everyone, went undefeated and were "district champs". Senior year in HS we went 5-5 and our coach got canned at the end of the year. 🤷‍♂️

The list of things that can change between JH and HS is vast.  It's more likely than not that JH success won't be the same in HS.  1st and foremost.. 7th grade kids playing against everyone else's 7th grade kids and 8th grade kids playing against everyone else's 8th grade kids is not evenly remotely the same as 9-12th against 9-12th.  A grade level of kids playing with either the grade above them or below them.. or both can dramatically change the success/failure compared to when it was just them.  Not only do kids mature, gain strength, gain speed, gain size, and gain skill (both physically and mentally) at completely different levels and pace individually, but kids actually WORK and/or gain/lose interest completely different.  Forget about the other obvious variables.. like: academic eligibility, transferring (both losing and gaining kids), quitting, reclassification, coaching change, etc. etc. etc.

The situation for a Senior IS NOT THE SAME as that same kid's situation was when they were a 7th grader.  To think so is idiotic.  

It's truly funny to me to hear people make predictions based on what happened in JH... might as well add little league as a predictor lol.

6 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

Yeah idk I guess it depends on the development and programs… I can remember when Kountze would do very well in football in middle school…of course when I was in school most of the basketball guys didn’t play football as well once they got into high school and that handicapped the football program for years there… People for years thought Kountze was just bad at football… It wasn’t necessarily the case lol All the top athletes we had just didn’t play football in high school. 

Totally agree.

5 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

The list of things that can change between JH and HS is vast.  It's more likely than not that JH success won't be the same in HS.  1st and foremost.. 7th grade kids playing against everyone else's 7th grade kids and 8th grade kids playing against everyone else's 8th grade kids is not evenly remotely the same as 9-12th against 9-12th.  A grade level of kids playing with either the grade above them or below them.. or both can dramatically change the success/failure compared to when it was just them.  Not only do kids mature, gain strength, gain speed, gain size, and gain skill (both physically and mentally) at completely different levels and pace individually, but kids actually WORK and/or gain/lose interest completely different.  Forget about the other obvious variables.. like: academic eligibility, transferring (both losing and gaining kids), quitting, reclassification, coaching change, etc. etc. etc.

The situation for a Senior IS NOT THE SAME as that same kid's situation was when they were a 7th grader.  To think so is idiotic.  

It's truly funny to me to hear people make predictions based on what happened in JH... might as well add little league as a predictor lol.

Well stated. 
I always like the comment, “Well when we had these kids in pee wee football they won the Super Bowl.”

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to Mike Trahan - NEW Buna Head Football Coach