How Do You Define an Elite Coach?

Bobcat1

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Thanks for breaking this down.  It's actually worst than I thought.  I say at any one time, there's less than 10% Elite coaches.  Didn't realize how much less.  With my category of Elite coaches, there is right now only 1.5% active coaches that are Elite.  When you add those with only one Title that comes up to 3.6%.  Like I've said, if it was easy then every coach would have about 10.  If it's talent only then this percentage should be dramatically increased.  One would think anyway!  Contrary to what some here think, a coach has to have the "it" factor to eventually become Elite!

6 coaches on the list took more than 7 years. And I believe 9 of the 1x Champs have the potential to meet your Elite requirement of winning a 2nd within the 7 year time frame. Including 3 from this past season... A Metzel (Gilmer), R Jones (Aledo), J Joseph (PNG)

After the first 2 and 1/2 pages I thought this would end up a waste of a thread and also my time reading. However I'm glad I read through the entire thread and all post before clicking off.  As a coach for the past 20 years both in SETX and now in the Greater Houston Area and being very familiar with the WOS Tradition/ Culture and also the last good playoff runs in Ozen's short history, I feel as though I have earned the right to reply to some of the comments in regards to Elite Coaching and also Talent / Culture and how the state of football in SETX has changed in the past few years. 

1) IZZY you know I love ya like a son but the (50) 5-2 defense isn't trash, IT worked for years for the Mustangs because CT "Mastered" it along with his staff who many forget never really changed for years. So when you have coaches who have mastered a specific scheme and when I use the term mastered I mean they know how to make all of the adjustments in the scheme for what ever offenses will try to show em. What worked for the past coaching staff will not work for the present staff because its not them, simple as that!! You can't replace almost 30 years of CULTURE and as a community expect the same results. 

2) Talent plays just as much a part as Coaching "ELITE" or NOT.. An ELITE Coach I wont say any names but I will say this, he hired ME and gave me my first HS Coaching Job.. "You Cant Win The Kentucky Derby With A Mule" to break it down for you, You Cant Win A UIL STATE Championship Without Talent. 

3) Talent can make an average Coach look alot better but who cares, that average coach still has to put that TALENT into position to win, and also manage all of the talent on and off the field, and most importantly LEAD all that TALENT. 

4) What it all comes down to is allowing Coaches to set the culture for their programs, communities providing support financially and proudly supporting that team all year long. Championships aren't won in the FALL, they are won in the offseason and summer conditioning.  

2 minutes ago, ozens fastest@1906 said:

After the first 2 and 1/2 pages I thought this would end up a waste of a thread and also my time reading. However I'm glad I read through the entire thread and all post before clicking off.  As a coach for the past 20 years both in SETX and now in the Greater Houston Area and being very familiar with the WOS Tradition/ Culture and also the last good playoff runs in Ozen's short history, I feel as though I have earned the right to reply to some of the comments in regards to Elite Coaching and also Talent / Culture and how the state of football in SETX has changed in the past few years. 

1) IZZY you know I love ya like a son but the (50) 5-2 defense isn't trash, IT worked for years for the Mustangs because CT "Mastered" it along with his staff who many forget never really changed for years. So when you have coaches who have mastered a specific scheme and when I use the term mastered I mean they know how to make all of the adjustments in the scheme for what ever offenses will try to show em. What worked for the past coaching staff will not work for the present staff because its not them, simple as that!! You can't replace almost 30 years of CULTURE and as a community expect the same results. 

2) Talent plays just as much a part as Coaching "ELITE" or NOT.. An ELITE Coach I wont say any names but I will say this, he hired ME and gave me my first HS Coaching Job.. "You Cant Win The Kentucky Derby With A Mule" to break it down for you, You Cant Win A UIL STATE Championship Without Talent. 

3) Talent can make an average Coach look alot better but who cares, that average coach still has to put that TALENT into position to win, and also manage all of the talent on and off the field, and most importantly LEAD all that TALENT. 

4) What it all comes down to is allowing Coaches to set the culture for their programs, communities providing support financially and proudly supporting that team all year long. Championships aren't won in the FALL, they are won in the offseason and summer conditioning.  

This is the best post in this thread. +1!

11 hours ago, ozens fastest@1906 said:

Admins... Please get rid of every other post, and just leave this one - pretty much sums it all up... +1000

2018-2019 season, we all could agree that Bill Belichick was among the best of the best in the history of the sport.  Had he retired at the end of the 2019 season, we would have crowned him as possibly the GOAT of coaches, right?

Fast forward to 2023, his Patriots are 4-11 and since Tom Brady retired, he is 29-36 as a Head Coach.

What changed?  Did he change?  Did his coaching philosophy change?  Did his schemes, ability to adjust, ability to create change?

No, he's literally the same coach he's been for nearly 50 years.

You know what did change?  Players.  The one constant in all of sports that changes outcomes of games, seasons and careers, is a player(s).  Tom made Bill.  For a lot of HS coaches, there are communities with enough blood line and culture for "Toms" to make a coach look ELITE, sometimes for decades or better.  And like Forrest Gump says "That's all I have to say about that "

I think being a good motivator makes an elite coach. In 1991 when Coldspring hired the late great Ed Peveto, jt was a whole environmental change. We made the playoffs for the 1st time in 15 years. Sadly the fall of 1993 Eddie Peveto died. We went to state for the 1st time in school history. He was an Orangefield legend