How Do You Define an Elite Coach?

Bobcat1

@Coach_Izzy

How does Jim and Joe explain my Mustang downfall? DCTF had us ranked #2 in the state based on the returning players. Even after our HOF coach retired and handed the keys to an assistant.

Did CT take the kids with him to the pasture? Or did the new coaches not have the same ability to produce champions? Or the wisdom to call plays instead of timeouts and delay of game penalties? (This isn't about coach bashing. Just a really good example)

I know there's always an exception to the rule. But I've seen rookie coaches win the championship the past 2 seasons. And maybe further back if I go look. This is about admitting there is a correlation to Jim and Joe being coached up by someone who is an elite coach. Not just a good or great coach. 

MY Levels of Coaching

BAD 0-10 but everyone plays

AVERAGE 5-6 1st round exit

GOOD 7-5 makes playoffs most years

GREAT 10-3 battles for a DC and makes playoffs every year

ELITE 13-1 expects to play in the region final every year, with a chance to play for the championship 

Now another thing I'd like to add to the conversation. All these different things that have been said about what makes a coach great... Leading and molding young men, making sure they stay in class and school, all the things that coaches do for their students off the field. That's the basic job description that we expect for every one of them. All coaches at all schools should be held to that minimum standard. But like @Reagan has said... we hire them with the expectation to win on top of that.

Did anyone listen to any of the post game interviews? Nobody thanked the superintendents. All glory given to God. 

Philippians 4:13

On 12/16/2023 at 2:08 AM, WOSdrummer99 said:

@Coach_Izzy

How does Jim and Joe explain my Mustang downfall? DCTF had us ranked #2 in the state based on the returning players. Even after our HOF coach retired and handed the keys to an assistant.

Did CT take the kids with him to the pasture? Or did the new coaches not have the same ability to produce champions? Or the wisdom to call plays instead of timeouts and delay of game penalties? (This isn't about coach bashing. Just a really good example)

I know there's always an exception to the rule. But I've seen rookie coaches win the championship the past 2 seasons. And maybe further back if I go look. This is about admitting there is a correlation to Jim and Joe being coached up by someone who is an elite coach. Not just a good or great coach. 

MY Levels of Coaching

BAD 0-10 but everyone plays

AVERAGE 5-6 1st round exit

GOOD 7-5 makes playoffs most years

GREAT 10-3 battles for a DC and makes playoffs every year

ELITE 13-1 expects to play in the region final every year, with a chance to play for the championship 

Now another thing I'd like to add to the conversation. All these different things that have been said about what makes a coach great... Leading and molding young men, making sure they stay in class and school, all the things that coaches do for their students off the field. That's the basic job description that we expect for every one of them. All coaches at all schools should be held to that minimum standard. But like @Reagan has said... we hire them with the expectation to win on top of that.

Did anyone listen to any of the post game interviews? Nobody thanked the superintendents. All glory given to God. 

Philippians 4:13

I know coaches on that staff personally & from what I’ve been told the talent has drastically declined over the years. So that explains the downfall. Secondly coaching does indeed matter just not over talent 

32 minutes ago, Coach_Izzy said:

I know coaches on that staff personally & from what I’ve been told the talent has drastically declined over the years. So that explains the downfall. Secondly coaching does indeed matter just not over talent 

I know you’re not trying to win a popularity contest, and that post will certainly not help if you are. Lol. 

16 minutes ago, Coach_Izzy said:

I haven't watched WOS play in years so I’m going based off what was told from me from a guy I trust that is on the staff. Said there has been a drastic decline in talent.

I won't hold u responsible for those excuses. 8 returned on defense from a 21 team that lost to the eventual state champion. 4 of which were all District as underclassmen. But I guess they left their talent on the field in Magnoila that night vs China Spring. Something definitely left our program in 2021. Hmmmm?

Since you are the resident SETXSPORTS.COM coach. If u were given... sorry, earned a HC/AD job at North Shore, Bisd, or WOS. Would u hire this coach you trust so much?

Edited by WOSdrummer99
... sorry, earned

A more factual statement from watching multiple Wos games each year the last 33 years is there was a small decline in player talent & huge decline in coaching staff talent since Hickman crew took over. CT handed over a team he built that had a very good amount of player talent to make a deep playoff run Hickman's 1st year. 

14 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I won't hold u responsible for those excuses. 8 returned on defense from a 21 team that lost to the eventual state champion. 4 of which were all District as underclassmen. But I guess they left their talent on the field in Magnoila that night vs China Spring. Something definitely left our program in 2021. Hmmmm?

Since you are the resident SETXSPORTS.COM coach. If u were given... sorry, earned a HC/AD job at North Shore, Bisd, or WOS. Would u hire this coach you trust so much?

Never coached with him so that’s hard to say…but I def trust his judgement. But again I haven't watched a WOS game probably since DT was there.

9 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I, like you, have actually seen WOS play the past two years.  From what I saw they had some talent.  It was quite obvious they were poorly coached.  One poor coaching decision was to change everything that had been successful.  The new Aledo coach said: why change what has been working? Who just won a State Title?  That’s part of “coaching!”

6 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I, like you, have actually seen WOS play the past two years.  From what I saw they had some talent.  It was quite obvious they were poorly coached.  One poor coaching decision was to change everything that had been successful.  The new Aledo coach said: why change what has been working? Who just won a State Title?  That’s part of “coaching!”

NO ONE runs a 5-2 defense man lol you wanted a new DC to come in & run that BS? Lol 

6 minutes ago, KF89 said:

A more factual statement from watching multiple Wos games each year the last 33 years is there was a small decline in player talent & huge decline in coaching staff talent since Hickman crew took over. CT handed over a team he built that had a very good amount of player talent to make a deep playoff run Hickman's 1st year. 

WOS coaching built a culture and an expectation of winning from day 1 in pee wee league.

without that you have a team like United.