How Do You Define an Elite Coach?

Bobcat1

1 hour ago, BMT Truth said:

When I make those statements, they're about you bro... and the others who clearly do not. They're not about the people who actually understand it takes more than just a good coach to win. Culture & talent are the 2 most important factors. Coaches can develop culture, but it takes a village. Don't forget - high school football coaches are TEACHERS first. They are the ones spending every day with TEENAGERS and trying to get the best out of them. If you've never spent time as a TEACHER and a COACH, then you will NEVER really and fully understand the many nuances and dynamics of high school athletics. 

Don't be so naive to think you are the only one here that knows football.  Heck, someone who's played high school football knows it.  Someone who's played college football knows it.  Doesn't have to be a coach.  Anything else stated here is opinions.

The underlined is your opinion!

45 minutes ago, BMT Truth said:

I didn't even know what his name was in real life until I saw him post it on this same thread, but ok whatever. I think a lot of people on here are low key jealous they aren't coaches. I'm just trying to figure it out. 

Seriously?!  You being silly now!   LOL!

7 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Don't be so naive to think you are the only one here that knows football.  Heck, someone who's played high school football knows it.  Someone who's played college football knows it.  Doesn't have to be a coach.  Anything else stated here is opinions.

The underlined is your opinion!

It is a fact. A fact, mind you, that it takes more than just a good coach to win. I can prove it. 

Just now, Reagan said:

OK

Field a team with a good coach but the kids are slow, all Freshmen, unintelligent and possibly mentally disadvantaged. How much winning will that coach do? Now I understand that’s a stupid example, but it’s just to serve as an exploded view. You gotta have a combination of coaching, kids & community which includes parents and administration. It takes all 3.

2 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Field a team with a good coach but the kids are slow, all Freshmen, unintelligent and possibly mentally disadvantaged. How much winning will that coach do? Now I understand that’s a stupid example, but it’s just to serve as an exploded view. You gotta have a combination of coaching, kids & community which includes parents and administration. It takes all 3.

Mentally disadvantaged!  That made me laugh.  It is a silly example.  Just like the one when someone tried to make a point:  could High Island beat the KC Chiefs with the right coach.  That one made me laugh also!  Oh, BTW, you forgot to add; what if they all had one leg.  If we are going to silly might as well go to the extreme.  

PSS -- So the reason PNG has been good and Nederland has been bad is NOT because of coaching?!  

1 minute ago, Reagan said:

Mentally disadvantaged!  That made me laugh.  It is a silly example.  Just like the one when someone tried to make a point:  could High Island beat the KC Chiefs with the right coach.  That one made me laugh also!  Oh, BTW, you forgot to add; what if they all had one leg.  If we are going to silly might as well go to the extreme.  

PSS -- So the reason PNG has been good and Nederland has been bad is NOT because of coaching?!  

More of a combination. Community has just as much to do with it as anything; For instance, PNG's community spirit is what allowed them to spend thousands of dollars to hire Dodge to even go find a great coach. Without the right school board and community, that ain't happening in the first place...

And I'm not a PNG guy, but I recognize one of the finest football communities in the nation when I see it.

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

give me a team with average players and a great coach over a team with good players and an average coach.

6 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

you did miss the point  

those markers are going to hurt your teeth.....

you better stick to the crayons

1..While I don’t disagree with your coaches vs athletes statement, I’m saying why settle for one or the other. It’s not a choice you have to make. Have both. 
2. I think the markers make prettier pictures. I’m sticking with the markers. Plus they’re scented. 

Just now, Horton said:

Coach Surratt at Carthage

9 state championships and never lost in state championship game  

11 semi finals

in 17 years

Great defensive coordinator 

Great staff

Great School support

Great community 

All of the above produces a great program. 

Forgot to add Coach Surratt and his staff makes players better than they ever thought they could be. 

Too me an elite coach will have these traits

very good discipline and the team makes very few mistakes (non many penalties, few turnovers, a fundamentally sound team in all 3 phases, and a team that plays extremely hard) 

assistant coaches that are on the same page, very loyal, highly dedicated, and teach fundamentals very well and have an excellent game plan vs every opponent

the entire coaching staff treats the players well and the team is highly prepared for every game. They also have a tremendous off season program 

Even if the talent level is down, their opponent will know they have been in an extremely tough battle after the game is over

17 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

ELITE DISCUSSION HERE

Active State Championship Coaches

S Surratt    9
G Joseph     5
J Herring    4
R Allen    4
T Westerberg     4
S Harrell     3
H Carter    3
R Rhoades    3
C Koetting    3
J Kasowski    3
J Fieszel    3
K Hoffman     3
L Fedora     2
T Rodgers     2
W Keeling     2
J Gibson    2
D Boedeker    2
J Todd    2
M Fannin    2
J Bomar    1
S Ponder     1
J Thompson     1
J Miller    1
M Kirchhoff    1
T Sitton    1
T Ward    1
J Willis     1
J Alvarez     1
C Abseck    1
C Worrell    1
R Tullos    1
J Drennon    1
B Carney    1
S Huff    1
D Hyde    1
J King    1
T Reeve    1
B Butler    1
R Ebner    1
C Tackett    1
D Henigan    1
B Gotte     1
M Lovorn    1
S Doty     1
C Mathis    1
D Faith     1
M Ables    1
R Samples    1
T Beatty    1

(Not in response to you @WOSdrummer99 )

Some of those at the bottom gotta be updated to 2. 

46 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

ELITE DISCUSSION HERE

S Surratt    9
G Joseph     5
J Herring    4
R Allen    4
T Westerberg     4
S Harrell     3
H Carter    3
R Rhoades    3
C Koetting    3
J Kasowski    3
J Fieszel    3
K Hoffman     3
L Fedora     2
T Rodgers     2
W Keeling     2
J Gibson    2
D Boedeker    2
J Todd    2
M Fannin    2
J Bomar    1
S Ponder     1
J Thompson     1
J Miller    1
M Kirchhoff    1
T Sitton    1
T Ward    1
J Willis     1
J Alvarez     1
C Abseck    1
C Worrell    1
R Tullos    1
J Drennon    1
B Carney    1
S Huff    1
D Hyde    1
J King    1
T Reeve    1
B Butler    1
R Ebner    1
C Tackett    1
D Henigan    1
B Gotte     1
M Lovorn    1
S Doty     1
C Mathis    1
D Faith     1
M Ables    1
R Samples    1
T Beatty    1

Missing Jeff Joseph. And Samples has 2 now. 

S Surratt    9
G Joseph     5
T Westerberg     4
R Allen    4
J Herring    4
J Fieszel    4
J Kasowski    3
R Rhoades    3
C Koetting    3
S Harrell     3
H Carter    3
K Hoffman     3
T Rodgers     2
M Fannin    2
L Fedora     2
J Gibson    2
D Boedeker    2
J Todd    2
W Keeling     2
D Faith     2
C Mathis    2
R Samples    2
B Butler    1
C Worrell    1
C Abseck    1
J Willis     1
T Sitton    1
T Beatty    1
S Huff    1
T Reeve    1
D Henigan    1
J Alvarez     1
M Kirchhoff    1
J Thompson     1
R Tullos    1
R Ebner    1
J Bomar    1
M Ables    1
B Gotte     1
D Hyde    1
J King    1
J Drennon    1
B Carney    1
S Ponder     1
J Miller    1
S Doty     1
M Lovorn    1
T Ward    1
C Tackett    1
J Driskell    1
S Parr    1
A Metzel    1
R Jones    1
J Joseph     1

On 12/20/2023 at 10:10 AM, Horton said:

Forgot to add Coach Surratt and his staff makes players better than they ever thought they could be. 

Talent will change from year to year in all programs.

These programs are successful because the get the most out of their players like you said.

That is why coaching is more important that the talent.

18 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

S Surratt    9
G Joseph     5
T Westerberg     4
R Allen    4
J Herring    4
J Fieszel    4
J Kasowski    3
R Rhoades    3
C Koetting    3
S Harrell     3
H Carter    3
K Hoffman     3
T Rodgers     2
M Fannin    2
L Fedora     2
J Gibson    2
D Boedeker    2
J Todd    2
W Keeling     2
D Faith     2
C Mathis    2
R Samples    2
B Butler    1
C Worrell    1
C Abseck    1
J Willis     1
T Sitton    1
T Beatty    1
S Huff    1
T Reeve    1
D Henigan    1
J Alvarez     1
M Kirchhoff    1
J Thompson     1
R Tullos    1
R Ebner    1
J Bomar    1
M Ables    1
B Gotte     1
D Hyde    1
J King    1
J Drennon    1
B Carney    1
S Ponder     1
J Miller    1
S Doty     1
M Lovorn    1
T Ward    1
C Tackett    1
J Driskell    1
S Parr    1
A Metzel    1
R Jones    1
J Joseph     1

Thanks for breaking this down.  It's actually worst than I thought.  I say at any one time, there's less than 10% Elite coaches.  Didn't realize how much less.  With my category of Elite coaches, there is right now only 1.5% active coaches that are Elite.  When you add those with only one Title that comes up to 3.6%.  Like I've said, if it was easy then every coach would have about 10.  If it's talent only then this percentage should be dramatically increased.  One would think anyway!  Contrary to what some here think, a coach has to have the "it" factor to eventually become Elite!