#2 Silsbee vs #6 Bellville

BBfan061

Two things that I’m still curious about my Brahmas… how they do against an offense like Silsbee’s with one of if not the best WR in the state… and how Bellville responds to a close game because other than only leading Navasota 3-0 at the beginning of the season they haven’t faced and kind of adversity. 

11 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

1. Which team scores more on offense and which team holds opponents to less on defense? It is not close. 2. BV may have the best defense in the state. Not sure why you think Silsbee will not be stopped?

Also, not sure why you think Silsbee offense is better than BV? 3. BV has scored more points by a great margin.

WOS kept Silsbee in check, WOS not capable of being on the same field with BV. 

Being objective, I would like to answer a few of your questions & concerns:

1. They have not played the same teams. While comparing scores can sometimes be a decent measure for success, unless common opponents exist, you can only take that so far.

2. BV does not have the best defense in the state.

3. See number 1

3 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Being objective, I would like to answer a few of your questions & concerns:

1. They have not played the same teams. While comparing scores can sometimes be a decent measure for success, unless common opponents exist, you can only take that so far.

2. BV does not have the best defense in the state.

3. See number 1

Understood. "Being objective", the only common opponents they have are WOS and Sealy. Overwhelming edge Bellville. 

6 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Understood. "Being objective", the only common opponents they have are WOS and Sealy. Overwhelming edge Bellville. 

Thats true. And is at least something to hold on to. I’m not even saying Silsbee will win. I’m just saying for me, it’s how the two teams matchup. And we won’t know that til they play. We’ll have an answer soon 

29 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

The confidence primarily stems from Silsbee struggling with WOS and Sealy, while BV beat both into the stone age. 

Yeah I get it. They beat the crap out of 2 teams that Silsbee didn’t blow out. But as BBfan said they haven’t been battle tested in a game all year where Silsbee has. I guess we will see how they handle it if Silsbee is able to match scoring drives with them. Should be a dogfight to the finish line.

7 minutes ago, TexasBoy89 said:

Yeah I get it. They beat the crap out of 2 teams that Silsbee didn’t blow out. But as BBfan said they haven’t been barley tested in a game all year where Silsbee has. I guess we will see how they handle it if Silsbee is able to match scoring drives with them. Should be a dogfight to the finish line.

Agree 100%

All these comparisons to how each team played WOS shouldn't be considered at all. I usually look at common opponents when picking winners. But not this one. The first district game vs Silsbee and the last game vs Bellville are complete opposites. One we still had hope. The other there was none left. Players, staff, fans, administration, all are lost by then.

Good luck to both teams this Friday

2 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

What 3 practice squad guys will Silsbee put in to mimic the 3 1000 yard RBs that Bellville has? 

Lol….. Silsbee practices with a 1000 yard rusher every afternoon (Kibbles) plus they had a heck of a back last year. Heck, Kibbles would be Bellville’s feature back if he went to school there. Silsbee has seen talented backs from WOS, Jasper, etc… they throttled a fairly decent slot T team in Vidor. I expect Bellville to play a better version of the T, but at the end of the day it’s just a matter of cramming the box, maintaining your assignments, and then on to the next one… 

The problem Bellville has is this…. All Silsbee has to do is focus on the run. If Silsbee stops the run, Silsbee wins. It Silsbee can’t stop the run, there’s still a pretty good chance that Silsbee wins. 

If Bellville can’t run, they’re done. Period.  

The biggest drawback to the offense Coach Rowe uses is this-and I say this from experience… it does NOTHING to prepare your defense to face teams who can successfully move the ball through the air. I expect Belleville’s defense to get exposed on Friday… but that’s just an opinion. Who knows? Maybe the defense will rise to the occasion under the lights on Friday the first time they’ve seen a championship level aerial attack.

The game is Silsbee’s to lose. 

6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Lol….. Silsbee practices with a 1000 yard rusher every afternoon (Kibbles) plus they had a heck of a back last year. Heck, Kibbles would be Bellville’s feature back if he went to school there. Silsbee has seen talented backs from WOS, Jasper, etc… they throttled a fairly decent slot T team in Vidor. I expect Bellville to play a better version of the T, but at the end of the day it’s just a matter of cramming the box, maintaining your assignments, and then on to the next one… 

The problem Bellville has is this…. All Silsbee has to do is focus on the run. If Silsbee stops the run, Silsbee wins. It Silsbee can’t stop the run, there’s still a pretty good chance that Silsbee wins. 

The biggest drawback to the offense Coach Rowe uses is this-and I say this from experience… it does NOTHING to prepare your defense to face teams who can successfully move the ball through the air. I expect Belleville’s defense to get exposed on Friday… but that’s just an opinion. Who knows? Maybe the defense will rise to the occasion under the lights on Friday the first time they’ve seen a championship level aerial attack.

Yup just stop the run… that’s all you have to do… stack the box… know your assignments….focus on the run… it’s that easy. I’m trying to be polite but can we please stop throwing Vidor in the conversation? They aren’t anything close to Bellville. If Vidor can be used I wanna throw in the fact that Madisonville was averaging almost 400 yards of offense a game and finished with around 60 total and negative rushing Friday night as well as never crossing midfield. I always agree with 99% of your post btw big fan 😂😂

What everyone is forgetting is ........ Since the first game of the season once Silsbee gets up by 2 touchdowns you are going to get a dose of run the ball only. So IF we wanted to run up the scores we could have. Silsbee QB could have 5,000 yards if we would have done that so Silsbee #'s are nowhere on paper what they could be if we would have kept our foot on the pedal and no to mention we put in 2nd and 3rd string defensive players to get them next man up ready. I cant tell you how many games that Silsbee QB didnt even throw a pass in the 2nd half of games. So you can look at stats or on paper and throw that out the window. I think it might be whoever has the ball last and it might be a 6-man football score at the end of the game. Silsbee will be ready and the defense has had its back to the goal line several times this year and they would bend but they didnt break and made some stops when they needed to. This should be an instant espn classic but i see my Tigers eating this week !!!

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Yep, that is all Silsbee has to do is stack the box. Every team BV played this year has defensive coaches that know the same thing. In fact, they all tried to do it. 

All Bellville has to do bash Silsbee into oblivion like they did to all the teams that Silsbee struggled with. Smash them on the line of scrimmage and run straight over them. Then overwhelm the Silsbee offense with physicality. 

It is Bellvilles game to lose.

Here’s why the vidor game is at least semi-relevant.  Part of what makes the slot-t so hard to defend is it’s a novelty.  Most 4A teams go seasons without facing it.  So it is kind of a big deal that they’ve seen 4 quarters of it from an okay team running it.  That’s a much better look at it than a week of the scout team trying to mimic it.   It’ll give them a leg up vs. anyone else who Bellville has played.  A much larger leg up over those teams will come from Silsbee’s talent and speed on both sides of the ball.  Bellville answered a lot of questions for me the last two weeks.  It’s clear they’re really good.  But they haven’t played anyone close to as good as Silsbee, so looking at results against common opponents is about as valuable as going by what happened last season.  It should be a great game.  I’m gonna go with the tigers just because they have a lot more flexibility on offense, but obviously anything can happen.