Lamar Basketball 2023-2024 Season

snakehead26

It is remarkable to me how many D1 guards are unable to execute a pick and roll or even a simple entry pass.  When Shumate was out the majority of the game with foul trouble, the Cards struggled to capitalize getting Hamilton touches.  He is easily (imo) their best offensive option, primarily because of his size and the efficiency with which he scores the basketball.  But there are only a few Lamar players who are able to make the entry pass consistently, and most are other bigs (this does not involve mine who was out with the flu these past two games).  

But this is far from just a Lamar problem.  Shahada Wells, who most rate as the top guard in the league, does a pretty poor job at executing the high pick and roll.  In a game where he only played 17 minutes, Shumate was WIDE OPEN at least 3 times on rolls after he set a very good screen, and got zero touches out of them (all 3 would have been easy dunks).  I can only imagine he’s probably 10 ppg under where he would be if they could or would properly run that play.  And in my mind, he’s the best player in the conference by a good bit.  

Lamar takes down Northwestern St. on the road.

Cards are now 16-13 overall, 10-6 in conference play. They are 4th with two games remaining, at Commerce, home against Houston Baptist.

I see them finishing regular season 18-13, 12-6. Got a chance to get 3rd seed in tournament.

55 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Lamar takes down Northwestern St. on the road.

Cards are now 16-13 overall, 10-6 in conference play. They are 4th with two games remaining, at Commerce, home against Houston Baptist.

I see them finishing regular season 18-13, 12-6. Got a chance to get 3rd seed in tournament.

Most importantly, as long as they split the last two, they get the first round bye (they hold the tiebreaker over Southeastern, having beaten them twice). And if they catch Nicholls, they also  hold the tiebreaker and will give them the 3rd seed.  To be honest, I’m not sure I wouldn’t rather have the 3rd and get McNeese in the Semis because the finals will be a crazier atmosphere in LC.  And I think we match up just as well, if not better, with them as with Corpus.  

And I will say in terms of the criticism herein, Lamar is winning close games (3-0 in OT games this year - in my experience coaching is huge in those), due in no small part to end of game adjustments/coaching. 

14 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

LU beats Houston Christian 78-68.

Lamar finishes regular season 18-13, 12-6 in conference. They have clinched the #4 seed and a first round bye in the tourney.

A Nicholls St. loss tomorrow night at Southeastern will move the Cards up to the #3 seed. 

I wish you'd quit pretending that 18-13, 12-6 is somehow better than 9-22, 5-13.  

On 3/3/2024 at 8:49 AM, TxHoops said:

Most importantly, as long as they split the last two, they get the first round bye (they hold the tiebreaker over Southeastern, having beaten them twice). And if they catch Nicholls, they also  hold the tiebreaker and will give them the 3rd seed.  To be honest, I’m not sure I wouldn’t rather have the 3rd and get McNeese in the Semis because the finals will be a crazier atmosphere in LC.  And I think we match up just as well, if not better, with them as with Corpus.  

And I will say in terms of the criticism herein, Lamar is winning close games (3-0 in OT games this year - in my experience coaching is huge in those), due in no small part to end of game adjustments/coaching. 

I prefer mcneese in the semis as well.  

12 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

There are levels to this.  Players and coaching.  McNeese is on a different one on both fronts. 

Agreed. As long as Wade is there they will have both a coaching and recruiting edge.

Lamar is a decent team not a good team. I'd rate them slightly below the middle of the pack nationally. They have seemed to played better as the season progressed and Pryor is the only senior (if the rest of the team chooses to return).