Tesla moving engineering HQ back to California

Bobcat1

On 2/26/2023 at 7:12 AM, tvc184 said:

We are in reality days and you are wanting to end reality for technology that doesn’t exist and will not for a long time.

We aren’t trading a horse and buggy for an automobile.  We are only changing the propulsion. 

Let me know when you get this all EV public which can charge a car quickly, without shutting down the power grid and also do so relatively economically. It will be decades so I won’t live to see it. 

Mankind has been thinking of space travel since the late 1800s. Robert Goddard got a patent for a liquid fueled rocket in 1914. It took 12 years to actually launch a rocket and almost 40 years to get rudimentary rockets built to get a man into space. Then another decade to get us to the Moon and that was spurred by an intense race between super power governments dumping trillions in today’s money to get there.

It took another 13 years to get the Space Shuttle flying in 1982.

So it took about 100 years of planning and development to pull it off routine space travel. 

You are claiming to be ready to put the international space station in orbit but in reality you are in about 1955. 

Feel free to explain how we will get around for the next 15-25 years while this non-existent technology is hopefully developed.

This is a horse and buggy discussion but you are the one in the buggy while claiming you are about to get into space travel. 

Considering that knowledge was doubling at a rate of every 50 years or so in the early  20th century and is estimated to be doubling every 13 months today, I don’t think I’m being unrealistic.

13 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Considering that knowledge was doubling at a rate of every 50 years or so in the early  20th century and is estimated to be doubling every 13 months today, I don’t think I’m being unrealistic.

I realize that you don’t have an answer and honestly don’t expect one.

Under your premise we should have this problem solved in about six more months. I am going not very far out on a limb to say that in six years it won’t be solved.

So let’s go back two years for when Biden took office. Certainly this has been an issue much longer than that with the new green deal but let’s keep it simple. If we start with a single value of 100 as in 100% of knowledge known at that time.

In six years we should have 128 times the knowledge as we did in January 2021. Contemplate not twice the knowledge and not eight times the knowledge but 128 times more knowledge than existed a mere two years ago. Surely any issues with disposing of batteries to not nearly enough of an electricity grid to affordability should be a thing of the past. Imagine the technology expanding to 128,000% increase.

Amazing!!

We should all be driving reasonably fair priced EVs with little cost to operate and put almost no strained on the new and massive and cheap electric grid. The contamination to this new green environment from the past extremely toxic batteries should be solved also.

I can assure you that any skeptics like me would love to be wrong. I would be ecstatic to buy a $40,000 EV that costs almost nothing to operate, will not cause blackouts and have the side benefit of cheaper home utilities. 

You cannot contemplate how much I would love to be wrong.

I imagine the most hard-core right wing critics reading this forum would love to be with me, saying oops, you got it done.

32 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Where u get these #s?

Encyclopedias would be twice the size by April Fools Day in 2024?

Think u got that confused with the video content posted to YouTube 

39 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Is this a typo?  Maybe you need to reread your own post. I know technology has advanced faster in the past 50-60 years than it has in probably the previous 200-300. Thank you baby boomers and before…. and the transistor. 

On 2/24/2023 at 2:11 PM, baddog said:

Yes they can. I have watched drag racing videos. I just don’t think they are practical and they’re very expensive. Plus, a lot of things have not been considered, like battery disposal. The anti-fossil fuel mentality is most damaging. 

I am not a proponent of EV's necessarily, but I am also not against them. Many of the arguments against the electric vehicle have equal comparisons to arguments against gas-powered vehicles in the early 1900's, and look at us now...

For the record, I have a Ford F-250 diesel (EGR deleted, of course). 

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

I am not a proponent of EV's necessarily, but I am also not against them. Many of the arguments against the electric vehicle have equal comparisons to arguments against gas-powered vehicles in the early 1900's, and look at us now...

I think many of the arguments against the EVs are that the technology is being forced upon us in the name of climate change and heavily subsidized by the federal government.  Let the private sector drive the effort, not politicians that are making a killing by ramping up the so called green energy industry.

I would much rather the likes of Elon Musk set the pace rather than politicians.

15 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I like what LRF said in the post above. I personally don’t hate people who drive electric vehicles. I have seen some videos of people who are “Tesla Haters”. That’s some weird stuff right there. 

On 2/25/2023 at 10:42 AM, UT alum said:

The only problem with your assumption is that technology is always advancing.  New disposal and/or recycling technologies will develop with the industry.  

So.... with 120 years of work, why hasn't the the fossil fuel industry gotten it together satisfactorily?

Hint... because they donate to Republicans.  Green Energy companies give to Democrats. 

1 hour ago, baddog said:

I like what LRF said in the post above. I personally don’t hate people who drive electric vehicles. I have seen some videos of people who are “Tesla Haters”. That’s some weird stuff right there. 

I think that’s most folks, I definitely think it’s a coming technology but should be driven by demand, not mandated by government.

I got no problem with solar and wind technology, but until it’s feasible, drill, baby, drill.

22 hours ago, baddog said:

Is this a typo?  Maybe you need to reread your own post. I know technology has advanced faster in the past 50-60 years than it has in probably the previous 200-300. Thank you baby boomers and before…. and the transistor. 

This is the hidden content, please

i know linear thinkers gave a hard time with conceptual thinking. The increase does not mean answers come automatically, but as the body of knowledge expands exponentially, solutions to problems accelerate as well. 

14 minutes ago, UT alum said:

This is the hidden content, please

i know linear thinkers gave a hard time with conceptual thinking. The increase does not mean answers come automatically, but as the body of knowledge expands exponentially, solutions to problems accelerate as well. 

Good to see you’re still condescending, but I still don’t see the formula for calculating “new knowledge”. (Here comes the “stupid name calling”). I did fine in math in my day.

We have a plastic garbage patch in the Pacific Ocean twice the size of Texas. Guess they didn’t use the formula. 

14 minutes ago, baddog said:

Good to see you’re still condescending, but I still don’t see the formula for calculating “new knowledge”. (Here comes the “stupid name calling”). I did fine in math in my day.

We have a plastic garbage patch in the Pacific Ocean twice the size of Texas. Guess they didn’t use the formula. 

Must have had linear thinkers in charge of recycling efforts.

3 hours ago, baddog said:

Man, this site is the palace of condescension if you’re a liberal. Liberals are called terrible things in this space. The liberal condescends and it gets called out. The hypocrisy of the right. What does indiscriminate disposal of plastic waste have to do with what we’re talking about?  

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

Man, this site is the palace of condescension if you’re a liberal. Liberals are called terrible things in this space. The liberal condescends and it gets called out. The hypocrisy of the right. What does indiscriminate disposal of plastic waste have to do with what we’re talking about?  

🤔

On 2/25/2023 at 10:42 AM, UT alum said:

The only problem with your assumption is that technology is always advancing.  New disposal and/or recycling technologies will develop with the industry.  

How well versed are you in the fossil fuel industry?  Any first hand knowledge?  

18 hours ago, UT alum said:

Your claim is that disposal technology will keep up with the technological advances….. It has to. I’m simply saying that the plastics disposal management must have missed the memo. 

On 3/1/2023 at 11:28 AM, baddog said:

Your claim is that disposal technology will keep up with the technological advances….. It has to. I’m simply saying that the plastics disposal management must have missed the memo. 

Reported today in the Houston Chronicle:  New start up in Houston to recycle 1,800 metric tons of lithium batteries to keep minerals in Texas. Capitalism 101 at work. New demand will create new markets (and new jobs). Quit being chicken little about things you just don’t like.