Morgan Freeman: Black History Month Is Ridiculous!

Reagan

10 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

It's an amazing story. If not for Black History Month we wouldn't know.

It is an amazing story. I read the entirety.

i agree with

@tvc184  we cannot include everything.

History should be taught no matter the color.

World

national 

state 

local

What about Native American History who called this place home?

what about Irish American history…
german American, etc etc.

what’s the fix so that division is not a temptation

3 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Focus on Character over color

Those guys in the story are great characters and would make a great book/movie too. Of course some things will be lost to history. But we must try to save the importance of mistakes made in our past. In life all mistakes are learning experiences. Even good people are great at making bad decisions. It's how we move forward that defines our character. As an individual or a society.

1 hour ago, 5GallonBucket said:

It is an amazing story. I read the entirety.

i agree with

@tvc184  we cannot include everything.

History should be taught no matter the color.

World

national 

state 

local

What about Native American History who called this place home?

what about Irish American history…
german American, etc etc.

Most of the people in history book are white.

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Focus on Character over color

Those guys in the story are great characters and would make a great book/movie too. Of course some things will be lost to history. But we must try to save the importance of mistakes made in our past. In life all mistakes are learning experiences. Even good people are great at making bad decisions. It's how we move forward that defines our character. As an individual or a society.

Agree to the fullest

5 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

You’ll never convince her of that.  She’s part of that crowd that sees syrup and rice as racist.

Not racist. Stereotypical symbols of racism. You know, like Jews portrayed as likenesses of vermin, Chinese as squinty eyes, buck teeth and straw hats, that sort of thing. Your syrup and rice crowd statement, on the other hand, is racist. 

17 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Not racist. Stereotypical symbols of racism. You know, like Jews portrayed as likenesses of vermin, Chinese as squinty eyes, buck teeth and straw hats, that sort of thing. Your syrup and rice crowd statement, on the other hand, is racist. 

Not at all.  Evidently you have no clue what is racist.  

6 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Very true, but not racist.

Are you insane, or just that ignorant? The first two presidents were slave owners. Abraham Lincoln was racist, recognized it, and tried to rectify it. Roger Taney, US Supreme Court Chief Justice who authored the Dredd Scott decision. President Woodrow Wilson was racist. FDR wouldn’t meet with Jesse Owens and appointed Hugo Black, a former KKK member, to the Supreme Court. Black did reform his views over the course of time, but the fact remains. Presidential candidate George Wallace, governor Lester Mattox. That’s off the top of my head. 

1 hour ago, UT alum said:

Are you insane, or just that ignorant? The first two presidents were slave owners. Abraham Lincoln was racist, recognized it, and tried to rectify it. Roger Taney, US Supreme Court Chief Justice who authored the Dredd Scott decision. President Woodrow Wilson was racist. FDR wouldn’t meet with Jesse Owens and appointed Hugo Black, a former KKK member, to the Supreme Court. Black did reform his views over the course of time, but the fact remains. Presidential candidate George Wallace, governor Lester Mattox. That’s off the top of my head. 

You have trouble keeping up, don’t you.

What is not racist is that history books of the US are filled with many more whites than blacks, and there’s nothing racist about that, it’s history.  I wasn’t referring to specific historical individuals at all.

Read it twice next time if you need to, smh.

Or, maybe keep your mouth shut and not remove all doubt.

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

I read a book in 6th grade about George Washington  Carver. Not in a textbook, but a school library book. That one’s probably been tossed from Florida schools. Made him look smart as a white man. Can’t have that.

Learned about him too. But it was in the text books. Your probably is a big accusation for someone who doesn't know what is being taught.

This is the hidden content, please

10 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

You have trouble keeping up, don’t you.

What is not racist is that history books of the US are filled with many more whites than blacks, and there’s nothing racist about that, it’s history.  I wasn’t referring to specific historical individuals at all.

Read it twice next time if you need to, smh.

Or, maybe keep your mouth shut and not remove all doubt.

Yeah, that’s how all you fascists are. “Keep your mouth shut if you don’t agree with me.” If you had the power, I’m sure you’d have me arrested.

8 hours ago, UT alum said:

Yeah, that’s how all you fascists are. “Keep your mouth shut if you don’t agree with me.” If you had the power, I’m sure you’d have me arrested.

Why so angry? Washington did own slaves.....about 10% of the population did, the other 90% couldn't afford it, disagreed with it or wished they could.....so now what?

What do you want from me, the one living in the same time period as you......?

On 2/21/2023 at 5:19 PM, thetragichippy said:

Why so angry? Washington did own slaves.....about 10% of the population did, the other 90% couldn't afford it, disagreed with it or wished they could.....so now what?

What do you want from me, the one living in the same time period as you......?

Where’s your stats? I looked up census numbers in Texas ca. 1860 and over 25 percent of landowners owned slaves.  As adult males represent about half the adult population and women couldn’t own land unless widowed or divorced, and children couldn’t either, I’d say closer to 50% of families had slaves. Where’s your stats?