Halfway thru district play assessment

We are now halfway thru district play for the majority of our coverage area districts (all except 20-4A and 25-2A). Give us your most surprising teams (positively) and most disappointing teams so far thru district play. Please make your assessment based on district play only. IMO, that's the best way to make any comparisons.

Also, lets here some predictions on how all our districts will finish.

Our HF Longhorns are looking good through 3 games so far. I hope they keep it up. They will have two great games versus HH and HJ coming up this week.

Also, this team has great chemistry with each other unlike the team from the last couple of seasons. HF will outright win or share the district title for the first time since I have started following them.

My most surprising team is Bridge City. They've got some good shooters who can be a problem if they get going. Really didn't expect them to be 4 - 2 right now.

Sorry Bear fans, but LCM is a disappointment. It really doesn't look like they have much besides two kids. Not much depth at all. It's going to be easy for good teams to wear them down. I'm not sure they finish second in district after all. Before the season started I thought after Silsbee, it was going to be LCM and then everyone else.

I guess two 6'5 kids that can run the floor ain't enough.

7 minutes ago, BBfan061 said:

Kountze needed to take a game from Buna or Anahuac to have a shot at the playoffs. They got it done. They have played as I expected… Young and not much depth but can shoot the ball well

But when they don't, they are basically dead in the water.

I think Lumberton will place second. When they go with their small line-up they are pretty effective. I did like the two big guys from LCM but they are a little thin otherwise. Jasper has a lot of athletic ability. I would think they are the team most likely to challenge Lumberton for second.

In our District, the surprising team has got to be West Brook.  They are currently tied for second.  They battled BU for 3 quarters. Sure they had a slip up against Atascocita, but before the year started, I expected them to barely climbing in 4th.  

Disappointing team has got to be Summer Creek.  They came into district ranked in the top 25 in the state and realistically was expected to cover one of the top two spots.  Then they were upset by King and was beaten by WB and now their BARELY clinging to the 4th spot in district.  Then they have a very good coach.  This team is definitely falling short of expectations.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

In our District, the surprising team has got to be West Brook.  They are currently tied for second.  They battled BU for 3 quarters. Sure they had a slip up against Atascocita, but before the year started, I expected them to barely climbing in 4th.  

Disappointing team has got to be Summer Creek.  They came into district ranked in the top 25 in the state and realistically was expected to cover one of the top two spots.  Then they were upset by King and was beaten by WB and now their BARELY clinging to the 4th spot in district.  Then they have a very good coach.  This team is definitely falling short of expectations.

Agree on both counts.  However, I always feel a little silly when I get surprised about a Coach Boutte team playing well and above expectations.  You know?

My predictions for district.

1. Silsbee

2. LCM - I'm still going with LCM, but I feel a little shaky about it.

3. Lumberton

4. Bridge City

5. Jasper

6. Vidor

7. West Orange Stark

The real fight is gonna be between Jasper and Bridge City for the 4th spot, I think. It's really close, but I give the edge to BC because they're the better shooting team. Wouldn't be surprised if Jasper sneaks in though.

My surprise and disappointing teams for each coverage area district and my district predictions. (just playoff qualifiers)

21-6A

Surprise team - North Shore

Disappointing team - Summer Creek

Prediction

1. United

2. Atascocita

3. West Brook

4. Summer Creek

16-5A

Surprise - Nacogdoches

Disappointing - Dayton

Prediction

1. Lufkin

2. Nacogdoches

3. Kingwood Park

4. Huntsville

17-5A

Surprise - Baytown Sterling

Disappointing - Nederland

Prediction

1. PA Memorial

2. Barbers Hill

3. GCM

4. PN-G

19-4A

Surprise - Lumberton

Disappointing - LC-M

Prediction

1. Silsbee

2. LC-M

3. Lumberton

4. Jasper

20-4A

Surprise - Huffman

Disappointing - Livingston

Prediction

1. Hamshire-Fannett

2. Hardin-Jefferson

3. Huffman

4. Livingston

21-3A

Surprise - Hemphill

Disappointing - Woodville

Prediction

1. Diboll

2. Central Heights

3. Hemphill

4. Woodville

22-3A

Surprise - Anahuac

Disappointing - Kountze

Prediction

1. East Chambers

2. Orangefield

3. Anahuac

4. Buna

23-3A

Surprise - Shepherd

Disappointing - Coldspring

Prediction

1. Crockett

2. New Waverly

3. Tarkington

4. Coldspring

24-2A

Surprise - San Augustine

Disappointing - Broaddus

Prediction

1. Corrigan

2. Chireno

3. Woden

4. San Augustine

25-2A

Surprise - Hull-Daisetta

Disappointing - Deweyville

Prediction

1. Big Sandy

2. Evadale

3. West Hardin

4. Hull-Daisetta

28-1A

Surprise - Spurger

Disappointing - Zavalla

Prediction

1. Brookeland

2. Leggett

3. Spurger

4. Burkeville

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

My surprise and disappointing teams for each coverage area district and my district predictions. (just playoff qualifiers)

21-6A

Prediction

1. United

2. Atascocita

3. West Brook

4. Summer Creek

16-5A

Surprise - Nacogdoches

Disappointing - Dayton

Prediction

1. Lufkin

2. Nacogdoches

3. Kingwood Park

4. Huntsville

17-5A

Prediction

1. PA Memorial

2. Barbers Hill

3. GCM

4. PN-G

19-4A

Surprise - Lumberton

Disappointing - LC-M

Prediction

1. Silsbee

2. LC-M

3. Lumberton

4. Jasper

20-4A

Surprise - Huffman

Prediction

1. Hamshire-Fannett

2. Hardin-Jefferson

3. Huffman

4. Livingston

21-3A

Surprise - Hemphill

Prediction

1. Diboll

2. Central Heights

3. Hemphill

4. Woodville

22-3A

Surprise - Anahuac

Disappointing - Kountze

Prediction

1. East Chambers

2. Orangefield

3. Anahuac

4. Buna

23-3A

Surprise - Shepherd

Prediction

1. Crockett

2. New Waverly

3. Tarkington

4. Coldspring

24-2A

Surprise - San Augustine

Disappointing - Broaddus

Prediction

1. Corrigan

2. Chireno

3. Woden

4. San Augustine

25-2A

Surprise - Hull-Daisetta

Prediction

1. Big Sandy

2. Evadale

3. West Hardin

4. Hull-Daisetta

28-1A

Surprise - Spurger

Disappointing - Zavalla

Prediction

1. Brookeland

2. Leggett

3. Spurger

4. Burkeville

Question.  How is NS team your surprising team when you don’t have them making the playoffs, but your disappointing team does make it?

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

21-6A

Prediction

1. United

2. Atascocita

3. West Brook

4. Summer Creek

16-5A

Surprise - Nacogdoches

Disappointing - Dayton

Prediction

1. Lufkin

2. Nacogdoches

3. Kingwood Park

4. Huntsville

17-5A

Prediction

1. PA Memorial

2. Barbers Hill

3. GCM

4. PN-G

19-4A

Surprise - Lumberton

Disappointing - LC-M

Prediction

1. Silsbee

2. LC-M

3. Lumberton

4. Jasper

20-4A

Surprise - Huffman

Prediction

1. Hamshire-Fannett

2. Hardin-Jefferson

3. Huffman

4. Livingston

21-3A

Surprise - Hemphill

Prediction

1. Diboll

2. Central Heights

3. Hemphill

4. Woodville

22-3A

Surprise - Anahuac

Disappointing - Kountze

Prediction

1. East Chambers

2. Orangefield

3. Anahuac

4. Buna

23-3A

Surprise - Shepherd

Prediction

1. Crockett

2. New Waverly

3. Tarkington

4. Coldspring

24-2A

Surprise - San Augustine

Disappointing - Broaddus

Prediction

1. Corrigan

2. Chireno

3. Woden

4. San Augustine

25-2A

Surprise - Hull-Daisetta

Prediction

1. Big Sandy

2. Evadale

3. West Hardin

4. Hull-Daisetta

28-1A

Surprise - Spurger

Disappointing - Zavalla

Prediction

1. Brookeland

2. Leggett

3. Spurger

4. Burkeville

For me I had to switch my prediction based off of the way Coldspring has been playing lately.  I have it like this...

1. New Waverly

2. Tarkington or Coldspring (you can either switch the 2)

3. Refer to #2

4. Crockett or Shepherd (the Pirates has been playing well as of late and may ease into that 3rd spot)

The reason why I still have the Bulldogs at #1 still is because outside of Coldspring no one has really challenged them in district and they are still undefeated and the only team in our district that can possibly go further than the others.  My team on the other hand could be sitting at home for the playoffs if they don't get it together especially losing to Onalaska like that.

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

21-6A

Prediction

1. United

2. Atascocita

3. West Brook

4. Summer Creek

16-5A

Surprise - Nacogdoches

Disappointing - Dayton

Prediction

1. Lufkin

2. Nacogdoches

3. Kingwood Park

4. Huntsville

17-5A

Prediction

1. PA Memorial

2. Barbers Hill

3. GCM

4. PN-G

19-4A

Surprise - Lumberton

Disappointing - LC-M

Prediction

1. Silsbee

2. LC-M

3. Lumberton

4. Jasper

20-4A

Surprise - Huffman

Prediction

1. Hamshire-Fannett

2. Hardin-Jefferson

3. Huffman

4. Livingston

21-3A

Surprise - Hemphill

Prediction

1. Diboll

2. Central Heights

3. Hemphill

4. Woodville

22-3A

Surprise - Anahuac

Disappointing - Kountze

Prediction

1. East Chambers

2. Orangefield

3. Anahuac

4. Buna

23-3A

Surprise - Shepherd

Prediction

1. Crockett

2. New Waverly

3. Tarkington

4. Coldspring

24-2A

Surprise - San Augustine

Disappointing - Broaddus

Prediction

1. Corrigan

2. Chireno

3. Woden

4. San Augustine

25-2A

Surprise - Hull-Daisetta

Prediction

1. Big Sandy

2. Evadale

3. West Hardin

4. Hull-Daisetta

28-1A

Surprise - Spurger

Disappointing - Zavalla

Prediction

1. Brookeland

2. Leggett

3. Spurger

4. Burkeville

Maybe I need to retract my last statement I didn't realize that New Waverly lost... Things are really about to get very interesting in district so now I need to come with a new prediction.

3 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Question.  How is NS team your surprising team when you don’t have them making the playoffs, but your disappointing team does make it?

Because I did not have North Shore in a position to get a playoff spot before district started. Halfway thru, they are in a position to get one. That's surprising to me.

I felt like Summer Creek was the 2nd best team in the district coming in. Now they are battling for that last playoff spot. That's disappointing to me.

My predictions don't necessarily coincide with my Surprise/Disappointing teams. Look at LC-M, I got them my disappointing team in 19-4A but still have them finishing 2nd.

My surprise and disappointing is based solely off the first half of district play. The surprise teams could end up being what I thought they would be and the disappointing teams can right themselves in 2nd half of district.

Thought I explained this in very first post. 😉

1 hour ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

Maybe I need to retract my last statement I didn't realize that New Waverly lost... Things are really about to get very interesting in district so now I need to come with a new prediction.

Was wondering about your first post.

Crockett beat NW at NW. I think Crockett has the inside track to 1st place in district.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Because I did not have North Shore in a position to get a playoff spot before district started. Halfway thru, they are in a position to get one. That's surprising to me.

I felt like Summer Creek was the 2nd best team in the district coming in. Now they are battling for that last playoff spot. That's disappointing to me.

My predictions don't necessarily coincide with my Surprise/Disappointing teams. Look at LC-M, I got them my disappointing team in 19-4A but still have them finishing 2nd.

My surprise and disappointing is based solely off the first half of district play. The surprise teams could end up being what I thought they would be and the disappointing teams can right themselves in 2nd half of district.

Thought I explained this in very first post. 😉

Good explanation as usual.

10 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

21-6A

Prediction

1. United

2. Atascocita

3. West Brook

4. Summer Creek

16-5A

Surprise - Nacogdoches

Disappointing - Dayton

Prediction

1. Lufkin

2. Nacogdoches

3. Kingwood Park

4. Huntsville

17-5A

Prediction

1. PA Memorial

2. Barbers Hill

3. GCM

4. PN-G

19-4A

Surprise - Lumberton

Disappointing - LC-M

Prediction

1. Silsbee

2. LC-M

3. Lumberton

4. Jasper

20-4A

Surprise - Huffman

Prediction

1. Hamshire-Fannett

2. Hardin-Jefferson

3. Huffman

4. Livingston

21-3A

Surprise - Hemphill

Prediction

1. Diboll

2. Central Heights

3. Hemphill

4. Woodville

22-3A

Surprise - Anahuac

Disappointing - Kountze

Prediction

1. East Chambers

2. Orangefield

3. Anahuac

4. Buna

23-3A

Surprise - Shepherd

Prediction

1. Crockett

2. New Waverly

3. Tarkington

4. Coldspring

24-2A

Surprise - San Augustine

Disappointing - Broaddus

Prediction

1. Corrigan

2. Chireno

3. Woden

4. San Augustine

25-2A

Surprise - Hull-Daisetta

Prediction

1. Big Sandy

2. Evadale

3. West Hardin

4. Hull-Daisetta

28-1A

Surprise - Spurger

Disappointing - Zavalla

Prediction

1. Brookeland

2. Leggett

3. Spurger

4. Burkeville

Don’t think Nederland returned much of anything from last year. Also they are young.

in 21-6A, I'll say that my biggest surprise is Beaumont United.  I thought they'd have a really good season, and figured they'd be competing for a district title, but I was expecting them to have some close games and drop a game or two.  They haven't even really looked challenged yet, and this is a solid district.  

In 17-5A, Nederland has been a surprise and disappointment, and so has Crosby.  Nederland went 3 rounds deep last year after finishing 3rd in district, and Crosby finished 2nd in the district and were regional finalists, losing to BU for the shot at going to state.  This year these two teams are a combined 3-11 midway through district.  I don't follow this district closely, but have been very surprised with the results.  I understand that teams lose a lot to graduation sometimes, but I can't even remember the last time Nederland missed out on the playoffs.

In 20-4A, HJ/HF appear to be ready to battle it out for first, with Huffman coasting into 3rd.  This is how I would've predicted things at the beginning of the season.  That said, Hamshire-Fannett plays Huffman and HJ this week, so we'll know more Friday, as they'll officially be halfway done with the distrct, with all of the realistic challengers having played each other once.

19-4A is a giant, fun to watch cluster.  I think this is my favorite district this year.  After Silsbee, anybody can beat anyone at any given time.  WOS is 0-6, but have played Vidor, Lumberton, Jasper, and BC to within 10 points.  Vidor is 1-5, but could just as easily be 3-3 right now.  Jasper is 3-3 and can beat anyone but Silsbee.  LCM is 3-3 but SHOULD beat anyone but Silsbee.  BC and Lumberton are tied for 2nd at 4-2, and both picked up massive wins against those bears.  Three of BC's wins have come by a combined total of 7 points, which I think is a lot of fun.  Lumberton has bounced back from a slow start, and a tough year last year, and have put themselves in a good spot to head back to the playoffs as well.  Apart from Silsbee winning the district, and LCM probably finding a way to finish 2nd, I honestly don't know what to think about how the rest of the district will finish.  It's just so clustered and competitive.  Vidor and WOS feel like they could find ways to pull off some wins in the second half of district that will effect the playoff hopes of other teams.  Lumberton, Jasper, and BC all could realistically go anywhere from 4-2 to 2-4.  The interesting part will be seeing which teams keep it together, which teams rise up, and which teams falter.