****PN-G(42)**** vs. Liberty Hill(14) *****PNG Advances to State*****

PN-G bamatex

2 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

This is the hidden content, please

I'll never forget that name. He's the best HS kicker I've ever seen. Went on to a&m and then med school.

That was the 1st of 3 straight 1st round losses to CE King. All at Rice I believe. We've never been back.

2 hours ago, MackLewis said:

I was at that game as well.   Ol Mustang Stadium, was packed!   Went back n forth.   I remember PNG scored on a fake field goal, I believe, with Keith Waguespack, their all-American kicker.

Who did WOS lose to the 1st round?   CE King?

PNG beat Crosby the 1st round, then beat a very talented Jasper team the 2nd round.

Waguespack was Mr. Automatic!! Great kicker

18 minutes ago, dme1111 said:

Waguespack was Mr. Automatic!! Great kicker

'89 team with R. Mcgill at RB, Ryan Robertson at QB & B. Bost at WR were solid on offense, played hard nosed tough defense & all 11 guys on defense would drop the hammer on dudes

4 hours ago, LHFan80 said:

How long has PNG been in 5a

PNG has been in 5A (which was 4A until the addition of 6A) since 1988, besides a brief stint in 5A (the current 6A) in 1994 and 1995.

Sounds confusing, but they’ve been primarily in the state’s second highest class since the late 80’s. Of course the UIL then added divisions of the classes more recently.

1 hour ago, bulldawg64 said:

Remember the jasper playoff game at pasadena cold i sit on jasper side waving png flag!!

I was on that defense. In the Jasper game I got knocked smooth cold out on a play and played the rest of the game and I didn't even know where I was. Good times! It's funny not to remember a whole game but yet I remember everything up to getting smoked crystal clear. Until the lights went out for a minute. The last thing I remember is being in air, horizontal. 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, bulldawg64 said:

Remember the jasper playoff game at pasadena cold i sit on jasper side waving png flag!!

1989 bi district game? I would have sworn that game was played at old Lamar cardinal stadium.

29 minutes ago, 19Cherokee90 said:

I was on that defense. In the Jasper game I got knocked smooth cold out on a play and played the rest of the game and I didn't even know where I was. Good times! It's funny not to remember a whole game but yet I remember everything up to getting smoked crystal clear. Until the lights went out for a minute. The last thing I remember is being in air, horizontal. 🤣🤣

23 hours ago, LTFALCON said:

You think so? That is a ton of people. Hell maybe it would. IDK. Just IMO smaller venue, packed stands, right on top of the action, seems like a better feel just IMO. Look up and see NO empty seats. 

I think so, I was at the games in 99, and the crowd grew and grew as they got deeper. I was at championship game too, I think it was around 40k

Just now, myrecordwashorrible said:

Just out of curiosity, what portion of that do you think were on the PNG side of the Dome?  It appeared to be around a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio between the 2 sides. Would have made an interesting aerial shot if there wasn't a roof. 

As I recall, 35,000 tickets were allotted to each school. PN-G nearly sold out its ticket allotment. Stephenville had maybe 5,000 fans present for that game.

3 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

in 1989 Jasper only had 1 playoff game. a 29-18 loss to PNG and it wasn't in Pasadena. I graduated in '91 and played football 4 years in highschool.

Check the headline. My uncle, Howard Roden actually wrote that article. Him and Bob West were sports writers back when that was the only media. Scroll to the bottom of the page to read the article.

Edited by WOSdrummer99
Added info

3 hours ago, marshman said:

From the article... Coach Mathews says...

"A lot of there little leagues run the same thing,” he said of Liberty Hill. “They run it from 7 or 8 years old. They add a little each year, but call it the same things. They believe in what they do. The kids believe in it. The parents believe in it. If you try to change offenses I think they will run you out.” 👀 

22 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Check the headline. My uncle, Howard Roden actually wrote that article. Him and Bob West were sports writers back when that was the only media. Scroll to the bottom of the page to read the article.

in this day and time that's probably fake news.  looks authentic though.  

All I was saying earlier is Coach Walkoviak liked playing in Pasadena.  Lamar stadium would have been basically a home game for PNG.

😉 🤐😳🙄 🙊

39 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

in this day and time that's probably fake news.  looks authentic though.  

All I was saying earlier is Coach Walkoviak liked playing in Pasadena.  Lamar stadium would have been basically a home game for PNG.

😉 🤐😳🙄 🙊

Our memories are one of the first things to go when we get old.

No shame. lol

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to ****PN-G(42)**** vs. Liberty Hill(14) *****PNG Advances to State*****
  • WOSdrummer99 locked this topic