Disney World Releases Statement Critical Of PNG’s Orlando Performance!

tvc184

4 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

If it’s offensive, not sure why it’s used so much.

American Indian Business Leaders (AIBL) ... 

American Indian College Fund. ... 

American Indian Higher Education Consortium (AIHEC) ... 

American Indian Policy Center. ... 

American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) ... 

Association on American Indian Affairs. ... 

Indian Country Media Network.

American Indian is a different term than Indian, and the designation of American makes it inoffensive, fwiw.  The vast majority of American Indians prefer the term Native American.  

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

The fact that so many on here pretend to not know the term Indian is offensive - since when were you given the insight to everyone’s personal thoughts or knowledge?  What a wonderful gift.  You made some good points in your post but I find this ludicrous.  I had no idea it was offensive, and I doubt many others did.  So while looking down on the uninformed from your ivory tower, please remember that not all of us are cognizant of what’s considered offensive and what isn’t in the Brave New World.

It's common knowledge, but I understand that some don't know.  that said, having been informed, it's pretty funny how many people are offended that they're offended by the term.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

American Indian is a different term than Indian, and the designation of American makes it inoffensive, fwiw.  The vast majority of American Indians prefer the term Native American.  

That is also up for debate. Truth be known, they’d rather be known by their particular tribal designation. 
An excerpt from Native Times, a self-proclaimed Indian publication in April 2015:

”As an Indian newspaper we must be very careful that what we call ourselves is not dictated to us by the white media (Native Americans). We have been Indians for a few hundred years and the name carries our history. Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull and Little Wound all called themselves "Indian" and they said it with pride. Should we dishonor them by saying they were wrong?

Political correctness be damned: We will use "Indian" if and when we choose...”

5 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

That is also up for debate. Truth be known, they’d rather be known by their particular tribal designation. 
An excerpt from Native Times, a self-proclaimed Indian publication in April 2015:

”As an Indian newspaper we must be very careful that what we call ourselves is not dictated to us by the white media (Native Americans). We have been Indians for a few hundred years and the name carries our history. Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull and Little Wound all called themselves "Indian" and they said it with pride. Should we dishonor them by saying they were wrong?

Political correctness be damned: We will use "Indian" if and when we choose...”

that kind of goes back to what you said previously about "we can use it for ourselves, but you can't say it", like the n-word.  but to the point I made, 6 of the 7 associations he named were designated at "American Indian" rather than "Indian"

16 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

that kind of goes back to what you said previously about "we can use it for ourselves, but you can't say it", like the n-word.  but to the point I made, 6 of the 7 associations he named were designated at "American Indian" rather than "Indian"

And for that reason, I do not accept the argument, because it is inconsistent and silly. 

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

They seem to name everything they are involved in as “Indian”. They may “prefer” another term but that hardly makes it racist or derogatory. If I had to choose I would probably prefer to be called white instead of caucasian which sounds like a mountain range but my preference doesn’t make either racist.

My favorite example is a “Native American” protest group formed in 1968 to fight for their rights and named it… American Indian Movement.

This is the hidden content, please

I think much of the claims are by people looking to be offended. Many times it is not from Indians but people looking to show their sensitivity by claiming racism for another group. Of course much of the accusation from Indians isn’t racism but now “cultural appropriation”. 

When Blacks straighten their hair, is that European cultural appropriation? Colored contacts? Did Abba or the British rock invasion appropriate American rock which was appropriated from Black blues? Should Eminem quit entertaining because his rap was appropriated from hip hop? 

This 250 year melting pot called America sometimes seems to want to go back to segregation or a feeling of “please notice me!”.

I could care less if PNG changes their name. Back when I was school some of us Nederlanders called them PNG River Rats so I think them “forced” (politically, not legally) might be seem wrong but somewhat humorous.

But obviously the choice is theirs. They didn’t choose the mascot out of any racism or intent to capitalize on a culture. They didn’t nor do they need permission. 

in my opinion….. 

From all the hoopla and comments off of one particular TikTok video, there were several Native Americans speaking out. This comment explains PNG the most:

"Lakota blood here. I don't find it offensive. We're Warriors, resilient and proud. People imitate us because we are fierce! I see it as a complement"

sixsyyxsix

Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery. If you've been to a game or anywhere around PNG, then you know we LOVE ALL THINGS INDIAN. 😍

5 hours ago, bullets13 said:

I would bet the vast majority don’t lose sleep over this.  It’s a very small minority making the fuss.

On 3/19/2022 at 10:23 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

So the Cherokee Principal Chief himself is a tender footed snowflake?  So that’s your logic.  

PNG doesn't represent the Cherokee Tribe, the school has been the PNG Indians since 1925. That was long before the 1st Chief gave approval.

1 hour ago, NDNation said:

PNG doesn't represent the Cherokee Tribe, the school has been the PNG Indians since 1925. That was long before the 1st Chief gave approval.

I understand that,  but many PNG folk held it in high regards coming from that first Chief (his blessing).  But now that disapproval from this current Chief is a problem and goes ignored…

3 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I’m talking about initially when Chief Hoskin informed PNG that he had a problem with it.  I believe it was like 2 years ago…

Perhaps they should do a few things:

1. Quit doing the scalp ‘em thing. 
2. Quit worrying about what the Chief du jour thinks if his arguments are baseless. If there is merit to his argument, then consider it and adjust accordingly. 
3. Quit going to Disney. 

On 3/23/2022 at 4:29 PM, tvc184 said:

They seem to name everything they are involved in as “Indian”. They may “prefer” another term but that hardly makes it racist or derogatory. If I had to choose I would probably prefer to be called white instead of caucasian which sounds like a mountain range but my preference doesn’t make either racist.

My favorite example is a “Native American” protest group formed in 1968 to fight for their rights and named it… American Indian Movement.

This is the hidden content, please

I think much of the claims are by people looking to be offended. Many times it is not from Indians but people looking to show their sensitivity by claiming racism for another group. Of course much of the accusation from Indians isn’t racism but now “cultural appropriation”. 

When Blacks straighten their hair, is that European cultural appropriation? Colored contacts? Did Abba or the British rock invasion appropriate American rock which was appropriated from Black blues? Should Eminem quit entertaining because his rap was appropriated from hip hop? 

This 250 year melting pot called America sometimes seems to want to go back to segregation or a feeling of “please notice me!”.

I could care less if PNG changes their name. Back when I was school some of us Nederlanders called them PNG River Rats so I think them “forced” (politically, not legally) might be seem wrong but somewhat humorous.

But obviously the choice is theirs. They didn’t choose the mascot out of any racism or intent to capitalize on a culture. They didn’t nor do they need permission. 

in my opinion….. 

I just got lectured by a kid on FB, (has to be under 25), that lives in Tennessee because he does not trust the "white man" because we stole his land and freedom......I mean, dude plays Chess and went to a public school....... Here is the copy/paste.....

"Why wouldn't we find it offensive.

Our people are nearly Extinct like Dinosaurs cause white Americans from 1670s to 1990s the last school that forced native American kids to abandon their language and accents and cultures to be white.

My own family hid away from White people in the woods to be free.

I have absolutely no trust in white Americans they have done to much to my people. I can be nice 🙂 to them but I will never fully trust them.

We fought just to survive and one DAY WE HAVE OUR LAND AGAIN EVEN IT TAKES A 1,000 YEARS."

All this can be settled with the head chief of "PNG Nation" and the head chief of "Cherokee Nation" having a Pow Wow and iron things out.  Spoke a peace pipe.  It would be pretty good publicity as well.  They could meet at "The Reservation".   

On 3/23/2022 at 6:22 PM, NDNation said:

If you've been to a game or anywhere around PNG, then you know we LOVE ALL THINGS INDIAN.

Y'all love ALL Things INDIAN? Be careful what you advertise...

1. Native Americans are more likely to need alcohol use treatment than persons of any other ethnic group, with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration reporting 1 in 10 Native Americans are in need of such treatment.

2. Native American communities suffer from high rates of unemployment and over 20% of Native Americans live at or below the poverty level, a rate more than double that of Caucasians. Native Americans have below average rates of high school and college completion, with less than 1 in 5 earning a bachelor’s degree.

The Native American population is also less likely to have health insurance and access to adequate medical care. Native Americans, characterized by poor education, poverty, and limited resources, likely contributes to the prevalent abuse of alcohol among this ethnic group.

2 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Y'all love ALL Things INDIAN? Be careful what you advertise...

1. Native Americans are more likely to need alcohol use treatment than persons of any other ethnic group, with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration reporting 1 in 10 Native Americans are in need of such treatment.

2. Native American communities suffer from high rates of unemployment and over 20% of Native Americans live at or below the poverty level, a rate more than double that of Caucasians. Native Americans have below average rates of high school and college completion, with less than 1 in 5 earning a bachelor’s degree.

The Native American population is also less likely to have health insurance and access to adequate medical care. Native Americans, characterized by poor education, poverty, and limited resources, likely contributes to the prevalent abuse of alcohol among this ethnic group.

I learned about some of this while living in Alaska, not only learned but actually seen it.