HJ Hires Zach Bass as new AD/HC

On 4/17/2022 at 4:47 PM, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Which one do you prefer slot T or spread?

I went to HJ and got to experience 2 years under Coach martell running the spread and 1 year under Dubois in the slot T and I can tell you we won a whole lot more in the Slot T!! I just don’t know if hj has the athletes effectively run the spread offense 

47 minutes ago, Hawks18 said:

I went to HJ and got to experience 2 years under Coach martell running the spread and 1 year under Dubois in the slot T and I can tell you we won a whole lot more in the Slot T!! I just don’t know if hj has the athletes effectively run the spread offense 

I wish someone would just triple option again. Flex bone or wishbone you don’t see it much anymore. But just like every offensive scheme it usually starts with blocking and the quarterback 

12 hours ago, Hawks18 said:

A good spread coach can win just as much as a Slot-T coach. The problem is that most good spread coaches tend to gravitate toward or get enticed to go to a larger school with more athletes. png and nederland run the spread effectively without stellar athletes

4 hours ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

A good spread coach can win just as much as a Slot-T coach. The problem is that most good spread coaches tend to gravitate toward or get enticed to go to a larger school with more athletes. png and nederland run the spread effectively without stellar athletes

You can’t do a thing out of the spread if you don’t have a decent qb under center. 

Ah, the good old days of having your middle linebacker line up under center and run draw plays 20-25 times a game because you don’t even have a backup qb. 

Guest mrtomcat

i know this aint the right topic, but where did the coach from liberty end up going?  seems like he'd be a good candidate for what HJ likes to do historically

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

You can’t do a thing out of the spread if you don’t have a decent qb under center. 

Ah, the good old days of having your middle linebacker line up under center and run draw plays 20-25 times a game because you don’t even have a backup qb. 

yup, it's tough.  and even tougher is any qb with prospects probably isn't going to stick around and play for a 4A school with a team that has been mostly bad to terrible since 2002 or so.

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

There is always a potential QB somewhere on the squad, he might not have the right last name but hes there

5 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

What does HJ like to do historically ? Serious question,  I just started following them when DuBois tookover.

whatever the current head coach at the time runs.  I don't really know them to make hires based on the offense the coach likes to run, although that might have changed some after Dubois had so much success with the slot-T his first stint there.

Guest mrtomcat
2 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

whatever the current head coach at the time runs.  I don't really know them to make hires based on the offense the coach likes to run, although that might have changed some after Dubois had so much success with the slot-T his first stint there.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

What does HJ like to do historically ? Serious question,  I just started following them when DuBois tookover.

i was just following the narrative of " HJ not having the wide open guns blazing " narrative that somebody mentioned which leads them to be more of a run heavy type philosophy, whereas the former guy from liberty ran a very similar style as Dubois from what i have been told ?  also believe he was successful up until this last year or two

4 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

They won't find a better Slot-T coach in this area.

9 minutes ago, Hawks18 said:

If they continue to run the Slot T I don’t think they win many games, Dubois was special with that offense and I don’t think there are many coaches that can run it effectively that are looking for jobs. 

not sure.  he had a couple of good seasons at HJ and BC with special groups of players, but as the talent dried up at each of those schools, so did the wins.  

6 hours ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

There is always a potential QB somewhere on the squad, he might not have the right last name but hes there

No, sir… kids with arms sit out for baseball in BC. You can’t take a kid with zero experience/camps and expect good things to happen. 

It’s normal to watch kids in street clothes on the sidelines tossing a ball around better than anybody on the team. 

I’ve always said that there are probably 45 kids at school in PNG (elem-high school) that dream of being qb1 for the Indians and are working hard to make it happen. There are no such kids/parents with qb dreams in Bridge City. 

1 minute ago, oldschool2 said:

Hear me out..  the Spread-T.

In all seriousness.. I would think that most coaches prefer one thing or another but ultimately coach to what their kids can do best. 

I’m pretty sure there was a team this year or last that made a pretty deep run in the playoffs running a mix of slot T and spread 

15 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

No, sir… kids with arms sit out for baseball in BC. You can’t take a kid with zero experience/camps and expect good things to happen. 

It’s normal to watch kids in street clothes on the sidelines tossing a ball around better than anybody on the team. 

I’ve always said that there are probably 45 kids at school in PNG (elem-high school) that dream of being qb1 for the Indians and are working hard to make it happen. There are no such kids/parents with qb dreams in Bridge City. 

Do you think that if the right coach came along and eventually was able to change the culture at BC and start winning that these potential good QB's would come out for football?  Winning solves a whole lot of problems.  

44 minutes ago, Hawks18 said:

I’m pretty sure there was a team this year or last that made a pretty deep run in the playoffs running a mix of slot T and spread 

There has been a mix of spread and slot-t ran for a while.  I was halfway joking because the comment seemingly implied that those are the only two options.  Even so.. I'm sure the new coach will do neither if the kids aren't able (his opinion).  Or one or the other.. or both.  Or who knows.. 

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Do you think that if the right coach came along and eventually was able to change the culture at BC and start winning that these potential good QB's would come out for football?  Winning solves a whole lot of problems.  

After the success that we had in 2016, there was a really big turnout for 2017.  That campaign ended up 1-7 or something like that (unbelievable string of injuries and a lot of talent had graduated) and by the following year turnout for the team was abysmal.  

The problem is that kids have a much better chance of being successful by playing baseball and participating in football (especially on a losing squad) can cause a kid to miss out on baseball season and just erases all motivation.  You'll definitely get more kids to turn out if you're winning, but not necessarily the kids who have a chance to play baseball on the next level.  It also comes down to kids playing LL, select, and having private coaches for baseball, but nobody is putting the effort into honing their kid's QB skills at the same age group.   

I don't know what the answer actually is.

• Bobcat1 changed the title to HJ Hires Zach Bass as new AD/HC