China Spring 45 Jasper 19/FINAL

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, Bulldogs92 said:

You've always been more level-headed than some of your Tiger fans also. Tonight was tough and I hope you guys play Carthage tougher than we did. We'll never be fans of each other's teams, but I'd have a cold one and talk some football with you any day...

That's what I'm talking about!!! I wore my DV pullover and went and cheered on HD tonight. The majority of us are here for the right reasons. Great season Bulldogs, I hate that it didn't work out this year but I'm certain you'll be back in the thick of it next year.

2 hours ago, TexasPanther2012 said:

I guess we all want success for our teams nothing wrong with that, but at some point we do have to look our recent history and calculate our average win percentages over the past few decades and if the Barbay’s aren’t too far off your schools average win percentage by the decades then you can probably conclude they’re getting about the best they can get out of the talent in the area.  Now if jasper was averaging 13 wins a season and putting up state title runs every other year throughout the 80’s 90’s the 2000’s  and now all the sudden since Barbay took over they’re getting bounced in the first round then sure I’d point the finger at them. 

We know our team. There has been a definite regression.

1 hour ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Love me some Jasper football. Wanted to see Jasper vs WOS. 

Me too. I still remember the first time we played them in 1986 in Orange and came out on top 21-8. I was 13 and I thought that was the coolest thing ever. At the time, I had no idea that they would have our number for so long after that. Those first few years were INTENSE. Almost every game was a nail biter and you could literally feel the angst between Dan Hooks and Gene Walkoviak. I wonder if they still don't like each other. LOL

30 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

Me too. I still remember the first time we played them in 1986 in Orange and came out on top 21-8. I was 13 and I thought that was the coolest thing ever. At the time, I had no idea that they would have our number for so long after that. Those first few years were INTENSE. Almost every game was a nail biter and you could literally feel the angst between Dan Hooks and Gene Walkoviak. I wonder if they still don't like each other. LOL

Hooks never liked any coach. Respected them yes. 

14 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I really hope that game is still on the schedule next year. Good luck to you guys next week. China Spring is no joke!

I think that is what was lost in Carthage moving down.  It was "Oooh, Region III is so hard now that Carthage has dropped to DII!" And I certainly am not trying to discount Carthage's effect on Region III but they are not the only stout team that moved down.  And, yes, one of them is China Spring.....the same China Spring that had some recent pitched battles with La Vega before moving down.

I know there is at least one WO-S fan and alum that doesn't see the Mustangs' road to a date with Carthage being any easier due to what happened tonight in Crockett.  In fact, with due respect to my Jasper friends, it may have just gotten harder.

13 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I think that is what was lost in Carthage moving down.  It was "Oooh, Region III is so hard now that Carthage has dropped to DII!" And I certainly am not trying to discount Carthage's effect on Region III but they are not the only stout team that moved down.  And, yes, one of them is China Spring.....the same China Spring that had some recent pitched battles with La Vega before moving down.

I know there is at least one WO-S fan and alum that doesn't see the Mustangs' road to a date with Carthage being any easier due to what happened tonight in Crockett.  In fact, with due respect to my Jasper friends, it may have just gotten harder.

The scoreboard doesn't lie. You're absolutely right.

9 hours ago, TexasPanther2012 said:

Brian Barbay at cold spring was phenomenal around 08-2013 ... they’re a shell of what they use to be and they’re even in the smaller classification they were in what’s now 4A when he was their head coach in 2011 and he had coldspring in the state title game against Carthage and they played in the 5th round against Wimberly in 2012 after beating west Orange stark ... trust me coldspring was very well coach and their dad always had Newton well coached , it’s not the coaching. 

Most definitely is. Their dad has nothing to do with them. If they had half the talent as their dad. This wouldn’t even be a conversation. 

I saw Jasper this year and they have really good players.  To see them get dominated like this by CS just tells me the  Jasper Coach didn’t have them prepared at all.  Even though part of my wants to say something extremely petty at this moment, I’ll just go with great season, Bulldogs. I hate seeing our SETX teams losing early round games...

I've watched jasper 3x this year.and they're a talented team.i just don't think that offense suits the kids.there not built to come back.and on defense i can't understand the bend but don't break.since the early 80's they were an aggressive defense.that got in ur face type of defense.hoping for better days for them. U have to be better prepared than that.trust me when I say there will be a few more surprises.this want even be a cake walk for Carthage.

9 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

China Spring has an excellent quarterback and tailback that we couldn't stop. They were up 3-0 after the first quarter and it looked like it was gonna be a good, low scoring game and then our wheels came off. They were faster than we are on both sides of the ball, no question. I'm looking forward to seeing how they measure up to WO-S. I love good football and that's gonna be a fantastic ball game.

No it's not.....This group from WOS has been good since youth and now that there all together and what I mean is the few Sophmores and Juniors mixed with those Srs that I personally know its gonna be hard to stop....CS played a great game but now dealing with a different animal...

2 hours ago, Deuce said:

Most definitely is. Their dad has nothing to do with them. If they had half the talent as their dad. This wouldn’t even be a conversation. 

“Their dad has nothing to with them” come on what kinda statement is that ... what kind of human gets raised for 18 years by a dad , then goes to work under him and that end up having “nothing to do with them” lol it has everything to do with how they coach football and how they run their programs . Nobody said they are equally as good of coaches as their father as far as X’s and O’s Or as far as any aspect of coaching I never said they’re just the same as their dad .... but I’m making the point they’re not just out here deaf dumb and blind like the jasper fans keep talking about on this website, they know how to run a program as good as anyone else in setx does from 1A to 4A , there’s no other coach going to come in and just put jasper straight into the state finals , they don’t have the talent west orange has so they won’t beat west orange no matter who the coach is, but sure I’ll agree again for the 17th time that yes jasper underperformed this year they were better than the way they finished and yes the coaches have to take blame for that just like the players , but to act like the coaching is jasper’s only problem and with those brothers out of the way you’d be guaranteed more success is just 100% foolish . 

9 hours ago, JB94 said:

We know our team. There has been a definite regression.

You can “know your team “ all you want , win losses are win losses , state titles are state titles and I stand by what I said .. your win loss from 2010-2020 is no different on average from 80-90 or 90-2000 or 2000-2010 so with that being said there’s statistically and historically proven no regression , but whatever helps ya sleep better at night. Maybe we should let these 2 guys who keep blaming the Barbay’s for every thing just take over for jasper and get some automatic state titles in the next couple years sounds like the jasper fans are being robbed and deserve to be freed from the chains of the Barbay regime lol 

12 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

That's a fair point. We're probably a .700 team since he took over, but very few of those wins were against similar competition. We're probably sub-.500 against teams that have been at least at our level. That's where the frustration comes in.

You’ll ain’t seen frustration wait till they hire a baseball coach to coach football also. I’ve been frustrated for 3.5 years on this horrible hire Kirbyville made

CS has been pretty consistent over the years. They don’t reload as well as some of the top programs but they are mostly well coached and play an extremely disciplined and physical brand of football. Mark Bell was a hell of a coach and I think it took them a couple years to transition to his son Brian. They were really good from 2015 - 2017, had a couple down years in 18’ and 19’, and looks like they are picking up some steam once again. This team is gonna be a problem in R3. One thing Carthage fans are happy about in dropping to DII is that at least we play in a very tough region. In DI, R3 isn’t very good. I think in DII, R3 is the toughest out of the 4.

I guess I am not surprised at CS winning the game cause they are definitely no push over, but I am very surprised at the score. Interested to see how CS matches up with WO-S. On paper looks like it’s going to be a great game. 

We all love SE and NE Texas football. No doubt about it, we are partial to East Texas as a whole. But them boys in the Centex region can play. In the smaller classes it’s tough to say which area is the best. I think it rotates almost yearly between SETX, NETX, and Centex on which area is the best from 4a - 2a. 

On 11/14/2020 at 8:19 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

I saw Jasper this year and they have really good players.  To see them get dominated like this by CS just tells me the  Jasper Coach didn’t have them prepared at all.  Even though part of my wants to say something extremely petty at this moment, I’ll just go with great season, Bulldogs. I hate seeing our SETX teams losing early round games...

So Cornell didn’t have WOS prepared either??