Will there be a 5A team from SETX at state?

BADSANTA

With the likes of #1 Waco University, #6 Texas City, #8 Manvel, #13 FB Elkins, #14 FB Marshall and #22 Humble all in Region III, it will be tough for Central and PAM to advance to San Antonio.

Talk about a tough district. Look at 23-5A

#6 Texas City

#8 Manvel

#13 Elkins

#14 Marshall

Also, Shadow Creek and Galveston Ball are good teams as well who are in that district.

Better chance with Memorial.  I was high on them last year, knowing they had a lot returning.  You can't teach experience.

Central's lives and die by the three, and you can't be consistant winning games like that (unless you're the Golden State Warriors).

Ozen is good, plays good defense , causes a lot of turnovers, but their lack of size this year will hurt them.

So I say non of them...

5 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Better chance with Memorial.  I was high on them last year, knowing they had a lot returning.  You can't teach experience.

Central's lives and die by the three, and you can't be consistant winning games like that (unless you're the Golden State Warriors).

Ozen is good, plays good defense , causes a lot of turnovers, but their lack of size this year will hurt them.

So I say non of them...

It puzzles me the lack of size of this year Ozen team. On any given day in the hall ways of Ozen you see kids 6'3,6'4 walking to class. Someone needs to invite some of that raw talent to try out for basketball...jmo

I am surprised at everyone's opinion being that I'm assuming most of you haven't seen any of the teams mentioned in Aggies post play. Yes those teams are pretty good are they better than the teams in 22/5A I don't know. I do know Central,Ozen,Memorial & Nederland could possibly beat any of those teams. Those teams aren't bigger than any of the SETX teams. So size won't be a factor the teams will just have to play and see what happens. Region 3 is wide open there are no clear cut favorites from what I've seen so it's anybody's game. I urge some of to watch some games outside of setx so you can have a more rounded opinion(excluding AAW)

15 hours ago, JustUs said:

It puzzles me the lack of size of this year Ozen team. On any given day in the hall ways of Ozen you see kids 6'3,6'4 walking to class. Someone needs to invite some of that raw talent to try out for basketball...jmo

Unless you know something idk then all the basketball players are playing. Once you enter 9th grade if you are not in the system then chances are unless you are 6'5 and above your chances are slim. Learning defenses & offenses take time especially when you are talking about playing varsity. Different ballgame at 7:30 if it isn't someone tell me otherwise. Where is the lack of size you speak of  Kevin Dotson 6'6(soph),Justin Pleasant 6'5(fr) Tyrese Maxey 6'6(fr),D.Bluitt 6'6(jr) Demonta Madison 6'6(jr), Derrian Jones 6'2(jr). , Tre Reed 6'1(sr)so the lack of size is where. The guard spot yes they are small(Courtland Pender 5'9)(Tyelor Broussard 5'5) but I'm almost positive I haven't seen any backcourt dominate them this year. They are (one)(and no I didn't exclude anyone else) of the best in setx and have to be in the state.

12 minutes ago, BlkMamba24 said:

I am surprised at everyone's opinion being that I'm assuming most of you haven't seen any of the teams mentioned in Aggies post play. Yes those teams are pretty good are they better than the teams in 22/5A I don't know. I do know Central,Ozen,Memorial & Nederland could possibly beat any of those teams. Those teams aren't bigger than any of the SETX teams. So size won't be a factor the teams will just have to play and see what happens. Region 3 is wide open there are no clear cut favorites from what I've seen so it's anybody's game. I urge some of to watch some games outside of setx so you can have a more rounded opinion(excluding AAW)

I hope my comments were not taken as a negative. I am not saying Central, PAM, Ozen or Nederland couldn't advance thru those teams, just would be very tough.

Of the teams I listed, Waco University is the only team I haven't seen but them being ranked #1 pretty much is self explanatory. Humble will face likely Nederland in first round. That will be a very tough game for Ned. Porter, with the Rhea twins back, will be a tough game for Ozen if the Panthers finish 3rd in district. Texas City and Manvel have a good combination of size and guard play. Elkins and Marshall might be the best 3 and 4 seeds in the state. They will cause some disruption in the playoff brackets. 22-5A may benefit from this as by the 4th round, 2 of the 4 teams will be eliminated by the other two.

From folks I have talked to, Waco University is legit! The 22-5A rep that gets the opposite side of the bracket of WU will most likely get the deepest run.

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Will there be ANY (insert classification here) SETX school at state?  Based on score and records I'm seeing Silsbee may be the only hope for a SETX representative. 

Silsbee will have to play some ball to get there I do believe Ozen,Central,or Memorial can also get hot at the right time and make a run so the golden triangle can be represented in a big time way 

11 hours ago, BlkMamba24 said:

So was my assessment of each of the three teams not accurate?

16 hours ago, BlkMamba24 said:

Unless you know something idk then all the basketball players are playing. Once you enter 9th grade if you are not in the system then chances are unless you are 6'5 and above your chances are slim. Learning defenses & offenses take time especially when you are talking about playing varsity. Different ballgame at 7:30 if it isn't someone tell me otherwise. Where is the lack of size you speak of  Kevin Dotson 6'6(soph),Justin Pleasant 6'5(fr) Tyrese Maxey 6'6(fr),D.Bluitt 6'6(jr) Demonta Madison 6'6(jr), Derrian Jones 6'2(jr). , Tre Reed 6'1(sr)so the lack of size is where. The guard spot yes they are small(Courtland Pender 5'9)(Tyelor Broussard 5'5) but I'm almost positive I haven't seen any backcourt dominate them this year. They are (one)(and no I didn't exclude anyone else) of the best in setx and have to be in the state.

Those tall kids that you've named, THIS YEAR are nowhere near dominant.  Madison haven't been playing, Bluit is on JV.  I wouldn't consider Jones as a big.  Now Pender and Broussard can go with the best of them.  I've been high on both of them since last year.  But like is said, the playmakers are short, and I've explained about the bigs.  

No worry, like I said, Central has their problems, as I've mentioned above.  Burning did say I'm higher on Memorial based on experience only...  

I'm judging on what I've seen out of the district.  This year, high school ball, excluding summer ball.  

Soulja none of the teams that's were named arent that much bigger than the SETX honestly. Manvel nor Texas City has no size , Marshall has the 6'7 kid who plays on the perimeter , Elkins has 2 6'6 kids but there coach doesn't play them both. As AAW said Waco may be the team with the Gibson kid . I'm watch a lot of bball not just in SETX either so I know what's out there . 

6 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

ITs all about guard play.  I just don't see it in SETX. 

As far as in SETX....central's guard play is at the top JMO.

also 6'6", 6'5", 6'4"  are guard heights JMO. 

Not too many weisbrods out there.

Side Note

Georgia(etorrion) vs Kentucky  tonight on espn

Not better than Silsbee