Crosby ISD changes stance on protests

AggiesAreWe

I keep getting kicked off while I'm typing my post so apologies for the errors.  When Kaep started this it was his way of a silent protest and has anyone thought about the inner city kids that have over 2 million dollars from this so far from him and his rich white owner that has said okay, I see where you are coming from?He didn't start a riot and burn buildings down or stop traffic on Interstate 5.  Everyone (usually white people) is all up in the air refusing to look at why he is doing it.  Then the Santa Clara police chief basically shuts the door on any dialogue whereas the Denver police chief had an open mind with Brandon Marshall.  

8 hours ago, Goblin said:

Untili/When I see everyone at a sports bar standing up and placing their hand on their heart during the anthem... 1. I would be scared to death that I was having a nightmare about living in North Korea and 2. I would choose to do whatever I please as is the right of the players. There's nothing in any of their contracts requiring them to do as such and prior to 2009?(not sure of the year)  the teams weren't even out on the field when the anthem played so it  (and in my rightfully US Bill of Rights opinion) shouldn't matter. The Sourh Park premiere last night had me laughing regarding the topic.

Have it on DVR.  Can't wait to watch it. 

11 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

I keep getting kicked off while I'm typing my post so apologies for the errors.  When Kaep started this it was his way of a silent protest and has anyone thought about the inner city kids that have over 2 million dollars from this so far from him and his rich white owner that has said okay, I see where you are coming from?He didn't start a riot and burn buildings down or stop traffic on Interstate 5.  Everyone (usually white people) is all up in the air refusing to look at why he is doing it.  Then the Santa Clara police chief basically shuts the door on any dialogue whereas the Denver police chief had an open mind with Brandon Marshall.  

That doesn't make it right! why don't more millionaire athletes help these oppressed kids? There are ways of getting involved in change and helping people without being disrespectful and showing youngsters that its ok to disrespect our country and traditions!!!!

2 minutes ago, JWB said:

That doesn't make it right! why don't more millionaire athletes help these oppressed kids? There are ways of getting involved in change and helping people without being disrespectful and showing youngsters that its ok to disrespect our country and traditions!!!!

When these guys just give money what real change happens?  Most do that and we never hear about it unless you're JJ Watt tweeting how great you are and what you're doing.  There is never any dialogue on how to fix the issues, but we can all come on here and bash HISD schools because how they suck in football and how they don't pay well and so on.  So are those inner city kids getting the sake opportunity as suburban kids when it comes down to it?

6 minutes ago, JWB said:

I would be more impressed if the billionaire owners would make a difference. But instead of building a complex in downtown Dallas, Jerra builds it in Frisco.

24 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

I would be more impressed if the billionaire owners would make a difference. But instead of building a complex in downtown Dallas, Jerra builds it in Frisco.

where in the heck would he build one in downtown Dallas??   AT&T stadium isn't even in Dallas.  There's no room.

6 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

Somewhere in Arlington, but you are missing the point if that is what you gathered out of my post.

No, I got your point, You want him to build in an economically depressed area to help out the people that live there.  My point is, do you want him to tear down their houses to do it since there is no room? By the way,  Arlington is only 18% African American and has a per capita income of 50k, not exactly economically depressed.

This is the hidden content, please

1 hour ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

If it makes you uncomfortable then the protest is working.. I think it's great that they're, everyone kneeling regardless of age, bringing awareness to a much needed to talk about topic. How many of you are mad about this but not mad about people disrepecting our current Commander in Chief? I would say most have thrown or heard insults and not said anything about it. How many of you are more mad about the protest than the reason everyone is deciding to take a knee? 

It does not make me any more uncomfortable than the guy who does not take off his hat makes me uncomfortable.

We are all free to make choices and I am free to have an opinion of those choices. C'est la vie.

4 minutes ago, bigdog said:

No, I got your point, You want him to build in an economically depressed area to help out the people that live there.  My point is, do you want him to tear down their houses to do it since there is no room? By the way,  Arlington is only 18% African American and has a per capita income of 50k, not exactly economically depressed.

You ever driven through Dallas?  I'm sure there are some places there that he could've bought and made some real difference.  Again, let's keep building in the burbs and leave the inner city alone.  

1 hour ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

If it makes you uncomfortable then the protest is working.. I think it's great that they're, everyone kneeling regardless of age, bringing awareness to a much needed to talk about topic. How many of you are mad about this but not mad about people disrepecting our current Commander in Chief? I would say most have thrown or heard insults and not said anything about it. How many of you are more mad about the protest than the reason everyone is deciding to take a knee? 

I disagree in your first point about offending your target audience being an appropriate goal. I whole-heartedly agree with your second point about the disrespect sent out President's way. He's President Obama when I disagree with him, not any of the zillions of insulting nicknames people throw on him. The office deserves respect whether I agree with his opinions or not. 

Please understand that not everyone agrees with the opinion that this country is horrible place that is guilty of continually oppressing people of color. Just because you believe it doesn't make it true, and the fact that I don't feel the same as you on the subject doesn't make me wrong, either. 

The Bible tell us to remove the mote from our own eye before trying to remove the beam from my brother's. I young Mr Kapernick wanted to be taken seriously by the rest of Americans, he should be protesting about the thousands of young black men senselessly killed by other young black men, rather than wearing his "pigs wearing police hats" socks. I can get behind that kind of movement. 

14 minutes ago, JWB said:

what do you think the flag means to this boy?

I have been the person that hands that flag to Mothers, Fathers, wives, and kids. You get to families that your paths would have never crossed.  I've done it in Orange, Tx, Beaumont, Tx, and few other places.  You put on a dress uniform and knock on or door and meet a complete stranger to tell them that a loved one is dead.  Not an easy thing to do, but you also realize that the flag also stands for so much more, that's what makes us America.

3 hours ago, CougarCal said:

You ever driven through Dallas?  I'm sure there are some places there that he could've bought and made some real difference.  Again, let's keep building in the burbs and leave the inner city alone.  

you are exactly right JJ should have tear down the slums and houses and section 8 homes in Dallas to keep the Cowboys in Dallas. I agree with you on that. I signed the petition online to keep the Cowboys in Dallas and not move them away. Could have made a big difference in the community of they would have stayed

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

All of this;

. . . . Yet, Crosby had a football game to play. 

Exactly, both nights before the game Thursday I was having to talk politics and ethics with my son instead of him looking ahead to his game and focusing on being a kid.  Instead he and ALL of his teammates were trying to defend their coach.  The media and community need to get out of team business.

24 minutes ago, CCRed said:

Exactly, both nights before the game Thursday I was having to talk politics and ethics with my son instead of him looking ahead to his game and focusing on being a kid.  Instead he and ALL of his teammates were trying to defend their coach.  The media and community need to get out of team business.

Sorry, but as a publicly funded school, in a publicly funded school district,  it is the community's business.

Guys, it is much deeper than I am right and your are wrong on this issue. So many people use this as a stepping stone to get noticed. The fact is that there is prejudice in this society in one way or another.  That will always be with us. We must overcome the forces that want to push it from on side to another. We must unify. We must talk. I do not agree with Kaepernick and what he has started, but many do. So I want to know what is really going on in society. That may make me step back from my believes and really analyze the  situation to come to the truth. I may have to change my preconceived notions of the truth to what it really is. It also means that someone who believes different than me needs to do the same thing. Until we as a people can humbly look for the Truth we will not find it.  This Country is full of people who want to talk and not listen, ON BOTH SIDES. A man 2,000 years ago said to love your neighbor as yourself. That was the second of the two greatest commandments and that is where we should start.

9 minutes ago, GCMPats said:

Sorry, but as a publicly funded school, in a publicly funded school district,  it is the community's business.

That's not what I was getting at.  The team wanted to handle the situation one way and community members thought it should be handled differently, one's that didn't even have a kid on the team. 

47 minutes ago, CCRed said:

That's not what I was getting at.  The team wanted to handle the situation one way and community members thought it should be handled differently, one's that didn't even have a kid on the team. 

Same concept applies. 

Tax dollars pay for any and all school sponsored athletics. Whether your child participates or not does not determine your ability to express concerns.

The name on the front of that jersey purchased with public funds says "Crosby". The community has the right to voice their opinion.

6 hours ago, bigdog said:

I have told my kid the same thing. :)

Never thought I would agree with you bigdog. Agreed. No problem with adults protesting; children are another matter. One day maybe someone can explain to me what the end result of this will be. If you were born in this country, you won the lottery of history. Period.

I realize that nothing that I say here will have any affect on anyone's opinion.

But I feel the need to kneel and be counted.  Those young football players who have chosen to kneel instead of stand, may not understand completely what they are doing.  But neither do the ones that stand and hold their hand over their hearts.  

What Kaep has done has made so many of us uncomfortable.  And that is a good thing!  It is too easy for White Males to just sit by and think that all is well in America for everyone.  It's not.  But I can still go days without remembering that, because I am one of those privileged White Males.  And watching Football on Sundays (a bunch of millionaires running around playing a game) never made me stop and think about the issues.  But now it does, if only for a few moments.  And I can thank Colin K and all the others who joined in for that.  

I would gladly join them by taking a knee on the sidelines.  For those who think that makes me a bad example to young people, I would beg you to take a quiet look into history.  

The Lorax: Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.