Minnesota man killed by cops

new tobie

1 hour ago, westend1 said:

So speculate for me.  Why would a cop feel the need to shoot the guy three or four times?  If the guy was a bad guy, would he announce that he had a gun?  I can't even come up with a logical scenario for this one.

Training. The last shooting locally where I watched the video, an officer fired 7 shots in about 2.5 seconds. 

It sure isn't TV where one hit is a kill and the man goes down. 

4 hours ago, new tobie said:

You guys just can't admit that the cop was wrong...lets wait and see

but not with every case. So we should put an asian cop in jail...

I don't know that the officer was wrong and neither do you. In any case, point out any post that I have made that said the officer was in the right. 

I'll be waiting............. 

3 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

Even though I lean heavily to the right, it seems that there are cops that would rather shoot first. I also know that if there is not any resistance, there would be far less shootings by the police.

Very true because it is not good for survival to shoot second. 

24 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Very true because it is not good for survival to shoot second. 

Just does not look good when officers shoot ppl running away, lying on their backs, or seemingly sitting in a car cooperating with the cop.  I understand that each case us different, and that on the surface is subject looks as though a shooting was not necessary.  I have the utmost respect for law enforcement, but starting to sense a few are giving the whole a black eye.

1 minute ago, BS Wildcats said:

Just does not look good when officers shoot ppl running away, lying on their backs, or seemingly sitting in a car cooperating with the cop.  I understand that each case us different, and that on the surface is subject looks as though a shooting was not necessary.  I have the utmost respect for law enforcement, but starting to sense a few are giving the whole a black eye.

The black eye might be from the fact that the video never shows what happened before. In the car for example we see nothing but the aftermath. In BR we see very little as the videos are too far away or do not show the critical parts. 

The officers may be right and they may be wrong but people are drawing sides based on wishful thinking. 

3 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

The black eye might be from the fact that the video never shows what happened before. In the car for example we see nothing but the aftermath. In BR we see very little as the videos are too far away or do not show the critical parts. 

The officers may be right and they may be wrong but people are drawing sides based on wishful thinking. 

Agreed, that is why I said on the surface the shootings looked unnecessary.

12 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

I been saying this for years on here, I guess its starting to hammer home now to most folks. 

Words have impact. When people lie and claim that there is a war, or pretend that cops are gunning down innocent young black men in the streets, events like tonight in Dallas will occur. I have a friend posting on FB tonight about how there have been 116 people gunned down by police this year in America. He's worried about his teenaged black sons! On the other hand, he can't even hazard a guess as to how many black men have been gunned down by other black men this year in Jefferson County, which is where his sons actually live! You're focusing on the wrong problems, my friend. 

The stats are available. Don't quote this, but something like 4400 black on black murders per year on average 2009-2013 per the FBI. Something like 120 cop on black murders per year for the same period. If you want America to take you seriously, start protesting about the thousands of lives lost to senseless black on black violence instead of focusing on the very, very few instances of police killings (most of which were obviously justified). 

But then again, your talking about a group of people who will stand out in the sun and protest an old racist like Paula Deen who admits using the N word in 1987, but then not be bothered by the same word in 2016 when it's laid down over a catchy beat. 

Keep focusing on imaginary damage inflicted by The Man, and just ignore the much greater damage you're doing to yourselves. P

5 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Words have impact. When people lie and claim that there is a war, or pretend that cops are gunning down innocent young black men in the streets, events like tonight in Dallas will occur. I have a friend posting on FB tonight about how there have been 116 people gunned down by police this year in America. He's worried about his teenaged black sons! On the other hand, he can't even hazard a guess as to how many black men have been gunned down by other black men this year in Jefferson County, which is where his sons actually live! You're focusing on the wrong problems, my friend. 

The stats are available. Don't quote this, but something like 4400 black on black murders per year on average 2009-2013 per the FBI. Something like 120 cop on black murders per year for the same period. If you want America to take you seriously, start protesting about the thousands of lives lost to senseless black on black violence instead of focusing on the very, very few instances of police killings (most of which were obviously justified). 

But then again, your talking about a group of people who will stand out in the sun and protest an old racist like Paula Deen who admits using the N word in 1987, but then not be bothered by the same word in 2016 when it's laid down over a catchy beat. 

Keep focusing on imaginary damage inflicted by The Man, and just ignore the much greater damage you're doing to yourselves. P

So ignore certain wrongdoing done and pay attention to the other? I say pay attention to both like what most do. Prayers to those cops shot and the two black men shot & killed the past two days. 

I'm amazed how many people know what happened based on some video shot AFTER the shooting happened.  I don't know if the cop is right or wrong.  If he's wrong, he deserves what he gets.  But to convict him in the court of opinion is irresponsible.  hopefully some actual evidence will shed light on what happened. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

So ignore certain wrongdoing done and pay attention to the other? I say pay attention to both like what most do. Prayers to those cops shot and the two black men shot & killed the past two days. 

I think the bible said something about getting the stick out of your own eye before you try to get the speck out of your brothers. The media has a vested interest in making sure that we all keep choosing up sides. Controversy creates rating which equals more $$$. Nobody cares about the white kid that got smoked by the cops in Cali last week. Nobody cares when dozens of black kids get shot in Chicago every weekend. Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, Eric from NYC, Sterling, and the dude from Minnesota yesterday. That's six I can name off of the top of my head. I can't name a single black person that has been killed in Jefferson County this year.... I'm curious as to why there isn't a national outcry over the lady that got killed in PAT Saturday by that security guard. i don't know why, but I have a nasty feeling it's because the crime doesn't fit the "white gunman kills black person" narrative that really gets us all going. I'm tired of a group that calls itself "Black Lives Matter" when they obviously put a lot more value on the few black lives lost to white actions and ignore the many, many, MANY more black lives lost to black actions. I think that's a tiny bit racist in its own way. 

Nobody can admit that a young black man is much more likely to be killed by another black man than by a cop. Most people don't know that cows kill more humans per year than sharks. Cow attacks don't aren't interesting enough, but shark attacks have just enough sex appeal. The fervor is artificial. Same thing with the whole "cops are racist killers hunting down young black men" song and dance. 

When a cop shoots somebody and it's unwarranted, I love to see them punished. The BART cop from San Fran that killed the guy on the train platform a few years ago.... Horrible mistake, paying the price.... Perfect. The cop from SC that gunned the black man down as he fled apprehension? Never should have shot that man in the back.... Jail time is absolutely deserved. I don't know if you ever saw the video of the other cop from SC that shot a black guy when he went back in the car to get his ID. That young man didn't have the disposition to be a cop. I'm glad to know that he will not be able to be a cop whenever he gets out of jail. 

However, there are lots of times when guys just have to be put down. It's sad, but it's true. I thought the black cop from Orange was totally justified in shooting the white guy at O'Reillys in Orange a few years ago. Maybe I'm just pro-cop. 

The fact is this. Most people like sausage, but nobody really wants to know how it's made. Enforcing the law and keeping the community safe isn't clean or pretty. It involves kicking a few tails, dirty words, and even shooting a few people every now and then. Watching a man being shot to death is a horrible visual. Thanks to the fact that everybody has an HD camera in their pocket these days, the horrible visuals of crime-fighting never more than a click away. I don't know why the young man from MN ended up shot. I'm not going to take his girlfriend's account as gospel, though.... And I don't expect to take the account of the police officer at face value, either. To this day people in Dallas were yelling "hands up, don't shoot" referring to Michael Brown, even though it has been absolutely proven that the "hands up" moment never actually occurred. From his employment history (the kid from MN) and his lack of a record, handgun permit, etc, I tend to expect that we'll find a cop that made a really bad decision and needs to pay accordingly. I'm anxious to see what the investigation uncovers. But that video was horrifying, and it's hard not to feel like somebody should pay for the way that young man died.... But that's based on my feelings upon seeing the aftermath, not based on whatever evidence the investigation actually proves.... Because the evidence could very well indicate something totally different than what my feelings are after watching that young man die. 

I also suspect that Mr Sterling from Louisiana hastened his own demise with his actions. With that background (prior violent offenses, resisting arrest charges, recent drug arrest, and illegal possession of a firearm) and the fact that somebody had already called 911 reporting that Mr Sterling was threatening them with a gun that evening, combined with his noncompliance when the officers arrived all indicate that the officer may have been justified in their actions. Time will tell. 

Its way past time that we all stop listening to people who want to use rhetoric to inflame our emotions and pit us against each other based on skin color, religion, political offiliations, etc.... 

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I think the bible said something about getting the stick out of your own eye before you try to get the speck out of your brothers. The media has a vested interest in making sure that we all keep choosing up sides. Controversy creates rating which equals more $$$. Nobody cares about the white kid that got smoked by the cops in Cali last week. Nobody cares when dozens of black kids get shot in Chicago every weekend. Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, Eric from NYC, Sterling, and the dude from Minnesota yesterday. That's six I can name off of the top of my head. I can't name a single black person that has been killed in Jefferson County this year.... I'm curious as to why there isn't a national outcry over the lady that got killed in PAT Saturday by that security guard. i don't know why, but I have a nasty feeling it's because the crime doesn't fit the "white gunman kills black person" narrative that really gets us all going. I'm tired of a group that calls itself "Black Lives Matter" when they obviously put a lot more value on the few black lives lost to white actions and ignore the many, many, MANY more black lives lost to black actions. I think that's a tiny bit racist in its own way. 

Nobody can admit that a young black man is much more likely to be killed by another black man than by a cop. Most people don't know that cows kill more humans per year than sharks. Cow attacks don't aren't interesting enough, but shark attacks have just enough sex appeal. The fervor is artificial. Same thing with the whole "cops are racist killers hunting down young black men" song and dance. 

When a cop shoots somebody and it's unwarranted, I love to see them punished. The BART cop from San Fran that killed the guy on the train platform a few years ago.... Horrible mistake, paying the price.... Perfect. The cop from SC that gunned the black man down as he fled apprehension? Never should have shot that man in the back.... Jail time is absolutely deserved. I don't know if you ever saw the video of the other cop from SC that shot a black guy when he went back in the car to get his ID. That young man didn't have the disposition to be a cop. I'm glad to know that he will not be able to be a cop whenever he gets out of jail. 

However, there are lots of times when guys just have to be put down. It's sad, but it's true. I thought the black cop from Orange was totally justified in shooting the white guy at O'Reillys in Orange a few years ago. Maybe I'm just pro-cop. 

The fact is this. Most people like sausage, but nobody really wants to know how it's made. Enforcing the law and keeping the community safe isn't clean or pretty. It involves kicking a few tails, dirty words, and even shooting a few people every now and then. Watching a man being shot to death is a horrible visual. Thanks to the fact that everybody has an HD camera in their pocket these days, the horrible visuals of crime-fighting never more than a click away. I don't know why the young man from MN ended up shot. I'm not going to take his girlfriend's account as gospel, though.... And I don't expect to take the account of the police officer at face value, either. To this day people in Dallas were yelling "hands up, don't shoot" referring to Michael Brown, even though it has been absolutely proven that the "hands up" moment never actually occurred. From his employment history (the kid from MN) and his lack of a record, handgun permit, etc, I tend to expect that we'll find a cop that made a really bad decision and needs to pay accordingly. I'm anxious to see what the investigation uncovers. But that video was horrifying, and it's hard not to feel like somebody should pay for the way that young man died.... But that's based on my feelings upon seeing the aftermath, not based on whatever evidence the investigation actually proves.... Because the evidence could very well indicate something totally different than what my feelings are after watching that young man die. 

I also suspect that Mr Sterling from Louisiana hastened his own demise with his actions. With that background (prior violent offenses, resisting arrest charges, recent drug arrest, and illegal possession of a firearm) and the fact that somebody had already called 911 reporting that Mr Sterling was threatening them with a gun that evening, combined with his noncompliance when the officers arrived all indicate that the officer may have been justified in their actions. Time will tell. 

Its way past time that we all stop listening to people who want to use rhetoric to inflame our emotions and pit us against each other based on skin color, religion, political offiliations, etc.... 

I agree with alot of what you said. And im glad you said it, about time somebody with just as much sense as me said something like this in this particular forum. +1 man. Prayers to those cops in Dallas and those 2 black men & their families in B.R. and Minnesota. 

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Good post...there are lots of us that are willing to simply wait for an investigation and let the facts come out before making a call or protesting, which in the Dallas case, put more police in harm's way.

And sadly, there are many that don't...including the President.

Prayers and strength for these officers and their families.

22 hours ago, NDNation said:

If my boyfriend got shot sitting next to me in a car, I would be hysterical, not doing a documentary of it. She's pretty calm.

At first she was calm, because she stated that he was shot in the arm. She probably didn't think it was a serious injury. She was on Facebook live to show what the officer was doing. Once she realized it was a potentially fatal injury she was hysterical. 

4 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Good post...there are lots of us that are willing to simply wait for an investigation and let the facts come out before making a call or protesting, which in the Dallas case, put more police in harm's way.

And sadly, there are many that don't...including the President.

Prayers and strength for these officers and their families.

The Dallas shooting was ridiculous 

7 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Best post I have seen on this subject and exactly how I feel. The guy from MN at first glance, looks like cop is in the wrong. The guy from Baton Rouge at first glance, looks like he brought it on himself. However, evidence may come out that proves or disproves either of these statements. That's what all the protesters need to realize, nobody wants a unneeded killing, but at the same time, stop rushing to judgement and acting like all these situations are the same. Sometimes the "victim" had a chance to avoid the ending, but made the wrong choice to resist arrest. When that is not the case and the cop is in the wrong, they need to be prosecuted. 

7 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You have some valid points, but it doesn't make family members hurt less,  because you can only name 4 people, when their brother, father etc is gunned down by a cop. I am not saying that every cop is wrong, there are instances where the shooting is justified, but there are also instances when the cop is wrong. We say Black lives matter not because we think that white lives don't matter. That has been taught to us for centuries. That movement is trying to remind people that we matter; as well.