TXHORN_ET

2 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Lol you guys are either bored or really hate Tony Brown it's sad actually

Oh really? 

Well, I guess that Yahoo Sports also hates Tony Brown or was bored:

This is the hidden content, please

Sports Illustrated as well:

CBS Sports, Rivals, et al all ALL JUST HATE TONY BROWN as on the weekend of a major NCAA championship being determined, these news outlets had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER TO DO than to take up man hours and bandwidth to report about Tony Brown and his potential suspension.

Look, if you don't want bad things reported about an Ozen alum, I would suggest that you get in touch with Mr. Brown and let him know that he needs to stop the actions which seem to end him up in the NATIONAL media in a negative light on a regular basis.  After all, if those acts or omissions never occurred, this thread would not exist.

3 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Oh really? 

Well, I guess that Yahoo Sports also hates Tony Brown or was bored:

Sports Illustrated as well:

CBS Sports, Rivals, et al all ALL JUST HATE TONY BROWN as on the weekend of a major NCAA championship being determined, these news outlets had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER TO DO than to take up man hours and bandwidth to report about Tony Brown and his potential suspension.

Look, if you don't want bad things reported about an Ozen alum, I would suggest that you get in touch with Mr. Brown and let him know that he needs to stop the actions which seem to end him up in the NATIONAL media in a negative light on a regular basis.  After all, if those acts or omissions never occurred, this thread would not exist.

Those sites get paid to report these things you don't lol big difference....

20 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

Those sites get paid to report these things you don't lol big difference....

So from what I see you're not allowed to have an opinion on Tony Brown unless A) it's 100% positive or B ) You're paid to report it.

I read one of the reports that the suspensions could have to do with impermissible benefits. But regardless of what it is, the whole purpose of a message board is to have opinions on subjects. Not everyone will agree with everyone's opinions on subjects. That's the point.

I understand why you're defending Tony but he's done something. 

1 hour ago, dBerrySports said:

I read one of the reports that the suspensions could have to do with impermissible benefits. But regardless of what it is, the whole purpose of a message board is to have opinions on subjects. Not everyone will agree with everyone's opinions on subjects. That's the point.

For the NCAA to get involved it is mostly something like you mentioned.  The schools would discipline the player otherwise and keep the NCAA out of it.  Saban said it was being overblown from what I've read, which I'm sure is the standard line if boosters are making it rain so you get the #1 class each year. 

2 hours ago, dBerrySports said:

So from what I see you're not allowed to have an opinion on Tony Brown unless A) it's 100% positive or B ) You're paid to report it.

You wouldn't understand so I won't even bother to explain...but if they would pay players we wouldn't have problems with impermissible benefits. 

4 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

You wouldn't understand so I won't even bother to explain...but if they would pay players we wouldn't have problems with impermissible benefits. 

Good cover. If someone says something bad about someone else, then it has to be hate? I'm not the one who screwed up. Great mentality working there for you. If he takes illegal money, then he should have been paid. Unfreakinbelievable.

7 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Players do get paid.  They get either a free education (full scholarship) or an education at a reduced amount (partial scholarship) that regular old students do not get.  

According to this website //www.ua.edu/about/quickfacts, it costs, on average, $20,755 per semester to attend Alabama.  That's somewhere around $166,040 for a 4 year degree.  That comes out to players making $41,510 a year while they are at Alabama.  Really don't see how players need to be paid anymore than what they already are getting.

8 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Whether players should get paid is immaterial I'm sorry to say. The point is, the way the rules are constituted right now, if they do get paid, it's an impermissible benefit and an NCAA violation. 

36 minutes ago, Ty Cobb said:

Players do get paid.  They get either a free education (full scholarship) or an education at a reduced amount (partial scholarship) that regular old students do not get.  

According to this website //www.ua.edu/about/quickfacts, it costs, on average, $20,755 per semester to attend Alabama.  That's somewhere around $166,040 for a 4 year degree.  That comes out to players making $41,510 a year while they are at Alabama.  Really don't see how players need to be paid anymore than what they already are getting.

Not to mention the tons of free, top of the line gear that they're given, flying all over the country at no cost, eating great meals and just a first rate sports experience that most of us could only dream of... I realize there is a lot of work involved, but what a reward! Also, the networking and contacts made through big time college sports will prove invaluable later. I sure hope he can/will/continue to appreciate all of these benefits. He is one of the lucky few.

2 hours ago, fireinthehole said:

College football players get monthly stipends now at the FBS level and one FCS school (Liberty) schools pay the players up to $600 a month plus the 100% scholarship 

Alabama's stipend is $5386 which is one of the highest in the country.  

6 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

I crazy how most of yall think that college athletes shouldn't be paid when coaches and Universities are making millions if not billions off the athletes I can almost guarantee that most of you who agree with that never played football at the D-1 level so again this is way over your heads...

I can tell from your grammar ( I crazy) you must have gone to a first rate University

6 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

I crazy how most of yall think that college athletes shouldn't be paid when coaches and Universities are making millions if not billions off the athletes I can almost guarantee that most of you who agree with that never played football at the D-1 level so again this is way over your heads...

If you're good enough, you'll get paid. Just not by the university.

Until then accept your free college education and move on. There are plenty of students much smarter and who will do more to better our society in general, that cannot afford to attend college. Most see a degree as more that just a certificate of completion in the minor leagues.

I refuse to feel sorry for any D1 athlete, especially in football or basketball.

This has nothing to do with the issue at hand. The current rules are the current rules, follow them and no trouble will find you. This always a victim mentality is what wrong with our entire country. He is a big boy now. When he messes up, he pays the price. Just like the rest of the world. All you ever want to do is bring up that you were a D1 athlete and all the rest of us are incompetent on all collegiate sports matters because we weren't. It's pretty simple, follow the rules and everything will be ok. As far as should college athletes be paid, this is a totally different subject. Quit tap dancing around the subject to avoid being proven wrong.

12 minutes ago, Sports10 said:

This has nothing to do with the issue at hand. The current rules are the current rules, follow them and no trouble will find you. This always a victim mentality is what wrong with our entire country. He is a big boy now. When he messes up, he pays the price. Just like the rest of the world. All you ever want to do is bring up that you were a D1 athlete and all the rest of us are incompetent on all collegiate sports matters because we weren't. It's pretty simple, follow the rules and everything will be ok. As far as should college athletes be paid, this is a totally different subject. Quit tap dancing around the subject to avoid being proven wrong.

Couldn't agree more ! A rule is a rule. If you break it there is a chance you will have to face the punishment for it. We have laws and rules in this country for a reason ! I'm sick of this crap of people doing something against the rules and then think that they are entitled to do it without consequences !!

1 hour ago, CRUSHCOACH said:

Couldn't agree more ! A rule is a rule. If you break it there is a chance you will have to face the punishment for it. We have laws and rules in this country for a reason ! I'm sick of this crap of people doing something against the rules and then think that they are entitled to do it without consequences !!

Again totally agree, but this generation believes that 55 mph means 65 mph, and gets mad when ticketed for speeding.

It is never their fault!

9 hours ago, Sports10 said:

9 hours ago, GCMPats said:

If you're good enough, you'll get paid. Just not by the university.

Until then accept your free college education and move on. There are plenty of students much smarter and who will do more to better our society in general, that cannot afford to attend college. Most see a degree as more that just a certificate of completion in the minor leagues.

I refuse to feel sorry for any D1 athlete, especially in football or basketball.

The fact that you guys are trying to make it seem like Tony is a terrible kid because he "allegedly" had an impermissible benefit is whats sad. I never said it wasn't wrong but do I fault him for doing it IF he did take something? HELL NO! The NCAA, college coaches & Universities are making millions off these kids and not out there making plays and putting their bodies on the line. Not to mention the cut throat side of college ball where if a player isn't good enough to play at a school or he gets hurt he's not getting his scholarship renewed.

4 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

The fact that you guys are trying to make it seem like Tony is a terrible kid because he "allegedly" had an impermissible benefit is whats sad. I never said it wasn't wrong but do I fault him for doing it IF he did take something? HELL NO! The NCAA, college coaches & Universities are making millions off these kids and not out there making plays and putting their bodies on the line. Not to mention the cut throat side of college ball where if a player isn't good enough to play at a school or he gets hurt he's not getting his scholarship renewed.

I never said he was a terrible kid. To be honest, I know nothing more about the kid other than he is from Ozen and plays at Alabama. But if he broke the rules he pays the consequences, simple as that. 

If you're not faulting him for taking something, you are not faulting him for, as the rules are in the NCAA right now, breaking a rule. You have to take your opinion on whether it's right or wrong to pay college players out of this. That has absolutely nothing to do with it. If Tony knowingly took an impermissible benefit, then he broke a rule and will be punished. Whether or not he should be paid is irrelevant to this.

There are rules in plenty different parts of life that you and I have to deal with that I'm sure we don't like and would like to change. But you can't break the rule and then pretend like it's okay because it's a bad rule. I'm neutral on kids getting paid, if it happens, cool. If not, okay. But the fact is, right NOW, it's not happening.