2015 Willie Ray Smith Finalists

WOSgrad

11 minutes ago, kicker said:

I don't have to "watch the film" I saw it in person and both kids balled out. Let me tell you something, any kid that sets a record at WOS is absolutely amazing. You have no clue because you don't understand the excellence at WOS. I really feel sorry for you. With all the history and unbelievable players we have had, that means way more than anything any other team around here can say. It's a mentality man. 

Too far sir. 

I respect WOS history and mentality but this demeans any athlete that did not attend WOS.

20 minutes ago, Kj Dad said:

Could you Please go tell OZEN HC AND BEAUMONT AD, that WOS looking for another Game? So we can let the kids settle your DEBATE in between those LINES!........Lol

Drop the mic! Will be waiting to hear back from you soon.

31 minutes ago, kicker said:

You have always been a hater. It's pathetic really. 

I don't see OF hating this point.  He has a valid argument and some are misconstruing it as hating....  

And what does scheduling an Ozen/WO-S matchup have to do with this debate?

you Silsbee ppl are so big on his stats. if that's the case maybe they need to fire the people that made Derrick Henry win the Heisman because the running back from Stanford clearly had better "stats" or even the NBA voters should be fired also because lebron clearly had overall better stats than curry but who's complaining. or anybody that has better stats than earl Thomas at wos , does that make them better than him?

Two great men won the award. instead of bashing about who should've won just congratulate them. I'm sure if anybody else would've won nobody from WOS would be saying that their own players should've won. you people are such jokes on this website

1 minute ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I don't see OF hating this point.  He has a valid argument and some are misconstruing it as hating....  

And what does scheduling an Ozen/WO-S matchup have to do with this debate?

So WOS could beat the Hell out of them and see what's the next excuse.

I had a vote in the WRS awards and here's who I voted for and why:

Dontre Thomas, Silsbee - Just look at his stats. Kid has one hell of a year. He legit willed Silsbee to multiple playoff wins in spite of a terrible, terrible defense. Without Thomas, Silsbee isn't even winning a playoff game, much less the district. The Jack Dallas 'led his team to a state title' is bogus, too. Sure, Jack played a big part in them winning but did you see the WOS defense? Best defense in SETX and it wasn't even close. Dontre should have won this easy.

Innis Gaines - Best defensive player I saw this year by far. Extremely quick and perceptive and absolutely tormented opponents every week. Helped a very average West Brook team make the playoffs. Plus, there's no way Tims had over 200 total tackles. Sorry, but those stats are padded big time. And to be fair, the WOS defense was so good all around. Innis carried the WB defense.

For the record: I understand why Jack Dallas was selected. I can see how that's justified after watching him play. Wonderful player. Tims' selection on the other hand, not as much. 

2 minutes ago, DannyShapiroBE said:

I had a vote in the WRS awards and here's who I voted for and why:

Dontre Thomas, Silsbee - Just look at his stats. Kid has one hell of a year. He legit willed Silsbee to multiple playoff wins in spite of a terrible, terrible defense. Without Thomas, Silsbee isn't even winning a playoff game, much less the district. The Jack Dallas 'led his team to a state title' is bogus, too. Sure, Jack played a big part in them winning but did you see the WOS defense? Best defense in SETX and it wasn't even close. Dontre should have won this easy.

Innis Gaines - Best defensive player I saw this year by far. Extremely quick and perceptive and absolutely tormented opponents every week. Helped a very average West Brook team make the playoffs. Plus, there's no way Tims had over 200 total tackles. Sorry, but those stats are padded big time. And to be fair, the WOS defense was so good all around. Innis carried the WB defense.

For the record: I understand why Jack Dallas was selected. I can see how that's justified after watching him play. Wonderful player. Tims' selection on the other hand, not as much. 

Don't want to bash the kid but he shouldn't of even been nominated for this award, I agree with you 100%

Tims had 12 tackles in the state championship, 3 for loss and won the defensive MVP. Those stats weren't kept by WOS. 

I use plenty of factors when voting, and don't just get caught up on stats. Every coach uses players in different ways. Some rest players when building a lead, others don't have that option and need every single point to win. 

Dallas led his team to a 15-1 record, going 13-1 against playoff teams. Including Silsbee. Opponents combined records, 120-81.

Thomas led his team to an 11-3 record, going 6-3 against playoff teams. Opponents combined records, 84-80.

This just one thing I looked at to go along with watching both.

Another thing I ask is who would I want to lead me in the final drive of the game. Dallas is the most precise passer I've seen in a long time. He doesn't need huge numbers, he manages the game.

When the ballot first came out I was going with Thomas. But then I started digging more and more, and comparing. Just my choice. Zero bias. I enjoy working around all of these young men. 

25 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Dontre Thomas was one of the best offensive players in the state not area. 71 TDs, 1,800 yards rushing, and 3100 passing. He was clearly the best athlete for this award on offense. WOS players congrats but the offensive winner was wrong. 

My argument for the WOS players is they WERE THE LEADERS on offense and defense on the State Champ football team and the best team and program in the area.  PERIOD!!!

Ozens football program is a joke, they have 1-3 really good athletes every year.  WOS has 6-8 every year and some do go to college on scholarships and to the next level as well.

Cant say the same for Ozens ex players -- Tony Brown?????  so far all mouth and trouble.

fact

it's ok lol WOS will sweep the WRS award AGAIN next year and also have a state ring.

Its a bunch of grown folks worried about who should've won and etc. I'm sure these kids will be willing to give up this one award to whomever in replace for their state ring.

and all this innis gaine talk? how can you say a man shouldn't be nominated with 215 tackles ? lmao wow. WOS had a sophomore DB if I'm not mistaken with the stats the WESTBROOK DB had with the excepting the kid from WOS had more interceptions and a punt return TD. Like I said, the RIGHT people won

19 minutes ago, Whoa said:

My argument for the WOS players is they WERE THE LEADERS on offense and defense on the State Champ football team and the best team and program in the area.  PERIOD!!!

Ozens football program is a joke, they have 1-3 really good athletes every year.  WOS has 6-8 every year and some do go to college on scholarships and to the next level as well.

Cant say the same for Ozens ex players -- Tony Brown?????  so far all mouth and trouble.

fact

Ok, y'all are getting ridiculous now.  Now one questioned the Mustang program.  Why are we even talking about their program when this award is an individual accolade?  

And while you're downing Ozen, there is a valid argument that the Ozen RB could have won it as he set about 4 altime records in Ozen history and ran wild with:

27 total td's, 

24 rushing TD's

1,809 rushing yards

8.86 ypc

THAT'S a fact.

Let's think before letting your personal dislike for OF cloud your posing ability...

8 minutes ago, wosfan1992 said:

it's ok lol WOS will sweep the WRS award AGAIN next year and also have a state ring.

Its a bunch of grown folks worried about who should've won and etc. I'm sure these kids will be willing to give up this one award to whomever in replace for their state ring.

and all this innis gaine talk? how can you say a man shouldn't be nominated with 215 tackles ? lmao wow. WOS had a sophomore DB if I'm not mistaken with the stats the WESTBROOK DB had with the excepting the kid from WOS had more interceptions and a punt return TD. Like I said, the RIGHT people won

Have you've actually seen the WB kid play?  Step outside of that small school stuff and check out some big school ball every once in a while...

27 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Have you've actually seen the WB kid play?  Step outside of that small school stuff and check out some big school ball every once in a while...

Y'all need to get off the small school stuff.  WOS would have beaten WB like a rented mule. 

And you know where the hating stuff comes from.  He's been bashing WOS on threads on this site way before this season.  Little green monster in full effect.  And it's not so much the opinion on who won - arguments can be made for all the kids.  But to say a kid who had over 200 tackles shouldn't have been nominated?  That's just ignorant...

Is everybody just going to overlook the statement/fact that Dallas was the ONLY returning starter on offense????? If that doesn't SCREAM Most VALUABLE player then I don't know what does.

Just for the record I would have had zero issues with DT winning this award, and frankly if you look JUST at numbers he should have won, but for those of you saying its a disgrace for JD to win you all need to get off your high horse.

6 hours ago, ShlyKBMT said:

Tims had 12 tackles in the state championship, 3 for loss and won the defensive MVP. Those stats weren't kept by WOS. 

I use plenty of factors when voting, and don't just get caught up on stats. Every coach uses players in different ways. Some rest players when building a lead, others don't have that option and need every single point to win. 

Dallas led his team to a 15-1 record, going 13-1 against playoff teams. Including Silsbee. Opponents combined records, 120-81.

Thomas led his team to an 11-3 record, going 6-3 against playoff teams. Opponents combined records, 84-80.

This just one thing I looked at to go along with watching both.

Another thing I ask is who would I want to lead me in the final drive of the game. Dallas is the most precise passer I've seen in a long time. He doesn't need huge numbers, he manages the game.

When the ballot first came out I was going with Thomas. But then I started digging more and more, and comparing. Just my choice. Zero bias. I enjoy working around all of these young men. 

Great points. Cannot really argue with any of them.

But, to speak on what I put in bold if I may. 3rd round of the playoffs, Silsbee vs. El Campo. Silsbee trailed 42-35 with 1:19 left in game, on their own 23 yard line, no time outs left. Dontre Thomas LED his team on a game winning drive, throwing a TD pass with no time remaining, making the score 42-41. Dontre convinced the coaches to go for two and the win and then called his own number, scoring the two pointer and winning the game, 43-42.

I would say that qualifies as a leader of a team and being the man on the final drive.

I congratulate Dallas and Tims. Job well done.

I voted Thomas for offense, Tims for defense.

I'll put my two cents in.Don't know why people can't congradulate the winners and just say it wouldn't have been my choice and leave it at that.All these arguments for and against have been weighed by the voters and the majority saw it one way.For me both MVP on offense were deserving and I think they should have been Co-MVP.That's just my take.