Interesting article from Dallas Morning news

I couldn't imagine digging up the roots I've laid down in a community and moving, changing jobs, etc...but that's just me. Kids on winning teams aren't the only players getting recruited. I can see moving for a better education though. On the other hand if Football is life and the community you live in doesn't support sports at all...then that's different story.

This is the hidden content, please

​When asked have you ever flagged a student for transferring, two solid coaches' response:

They said: “Yes. The player put on Twitter he was transferring because of athletics.” — Cedar Hill football coach Joey McGuire

“I flagged a student because the other players on my team told me how they were recruited by this same coach at a camp which they all went to.” — Garland Lakeview football coach Kendall Miller

When they asked a woman:

“No, and I wouldn’t. If I can’t give the player a program to play for, then I shouldn’t be upset the player left. Personally, I believe the child should go to the best fit. Changing schools means loss of friends, normal life, and academics. If a player makes this decision, I seriously believe there is a deeper problem than I want to be on a winning team. These are children who are only in high school once; why try to destroy their dreams?” — Argyle girls soccer coach Jennifer Goodpaster

Men have egos, women have compassion. Prime example is WOS' coach and the Trey Baldwin situation vs Crosby girls basketball coach who allowed the #1 player in the country to transfer with no issue. If you program doesn't provide the best opportunity for whatever reason why knock a kid because YOU have a problem with it? 

​When asked have you ever flagged a student for transferring, two solid coaches' response:

They said: “Yes. The player put on Twitter he was transferring because of athletics.” — Cedar Hill football coach Joey McGuire

“I flagged a student because the other players on my team told me how they were recruited by this same coach at a camp which they all went to.” — Garland Lakeview football coach Kendall Miller

When they asked a woman:

“No, and I wouldn’t. If I can’t give the player a program to play for, then I shouldn’t be upset the player left. Personally, I believe the child should go to the best fit. Changing schools means loss of friends, normal life, and academics. If a player makes this decision, I seriously believe there is a deeper problem than I want to be on a winning team. These are children who are only in high school once; why try to destroy their dreams?” — Argyle girls soccer coach Jennifer Goodpaster

Men have egos, women have compassion. Prime example is WOS' coach and the Trey Baldwin situation vs Crosby girls basketball coach who allowed the #1 player in the country to transfer with no issue. If you program doesn't provide the best opportunity for whatever reason why knock a kid because YOU have a problem with it? 

​Because if the coach has knowledge that a youngster is moving for athletic reasons, he or she is supposed to say so.  The misconception is that the coaches in these cases who flagged players only did so to be vindictive because the players were moving out of their program.  I am quite sure that Coach McGuire and Coach Miller, if also asked would have mentioned that they have not flagged players who left their program when those players gave no indication that they were leaving for athletic purposes.  Everyone here knows for a fact that Coach Thompson has as at about this time last year, his starting quarterback, a young man who be in his senior year this season at WO-S had he not transferred and currently has double digit FCS major college offers, transferred without incident.  

There may be coaches who feel the same way that you do and won't flag a player.  However, if a coach is going to be vilified for filling out a form in compliance of UIL rules, then maybe it is time to completely do away with the rule.  If the Mustang program has done as much recruiting as some folks on this site have claimed, then it would seem that the WOCCISD would greatly benefit with the demise of this rule.

​Because if the coach has knowledge that a youngster is moving for athletic reasons, he or she is supposed to say so.  The misconception is that the coaches in these cases who flagged players only did so to be vindictive because the players were moving out of their program.  I am quite sure that Coach McGuire and Coach Miller, if also asked would have mentioned that they have not flagged players who left their program when those players gave no indication that they were leaving for athletic purposes.  Everyone here knows for a fact that Coach Thompson has as at about this time last year, his starting quarterback, a young man who be in his senior year this season at WO-S had he not transferred and currently has double digit FCS major college offers, transferred without incident.  

There may be coaches who feel the same way that you do and won't flag a player.  However, if a coach is going to be vilified for filling out a form in compliance of UIL rules, then maybe it is time to completely do away with the rule.  If the Mustang program has done as much recruiting as some folks on this site have claimed, then it would seem that the WOCCISD would greatly benefit with the demise of this rule.

IMO DSC transferring is what caused the issue in the first place. He put up the same numbers at Westfield as a junior that he did at WOS. It's just that the exposure at Westfield got him about 15 FBS offers. Now another kid comes to a big school in Houston and picks up multiple offers and commits to an SEC school without even suiting up. I think Thompson was trying to make an exams out of Baldwin after it may have been perceived he followed DSC's lead. 

Las for McGuire, he's probably somewhat of a hypocrite. The best player he's ever had, Demarkus Lodge, transferred in from Mississippi and I'm not sure whatever parent he lived with stayed in district. IDK if it's still on his Twitter but the Stephenvill rb that just transferred in to Cedar Hill was raving about how he got to play for the Hill. Pretty blatant if you ask me. 

Doing away with the rule completely probably won't change much more than what's happening now. 

This all started years ago with Southlake and Stephenville. Nothing new. Look at Lake Travis. They never hardly made a playoff game and them bam. I know a guy that coached at LT and was told they received at least 10 calls per month. The common theme was, send is a video and we will go from there. It jumps from area to area. Look at Lamarque.... The list goes on. But in the grand scheme of things the UIL prevails. That's just the way it is. But hey, it's even better when the unknown gets in now....

Back in the 50's, it was accepted as fact that if a kid was an outstanding football player his Dad would get hired at Texaco or the Gulf refinery so the boy could go to Thomas Jefferson.  May not have been true, but might as well have been cause everyone believed it. 

​Nobody =Odessa Permian before stripped of a few titles, 22 & ballin vs 17/18 yr old kiddos

Unfortunately, this can not be stopped. It is to easy to get around because of the vast number of apartment complexes and rent houses. Parents change jobs, people move, and kids go with them. It is almost impossible to prove a kid is moving for athletic purposes unless the kid or parent actually tells someone.  Having said that..if a kids parent gets a new job or moves into housing into another school district then nothing can be done.  And...if that new school district happens to be an annual state football (or whatever sport) powerhouse that may happen to give your high school son a better chance at a deep playoff run or getting looked at by numerous college scouts...well then that's how it goes.

And by the way that's how West Orange Stark does its "recruiting". They probably aren't actually going around and recruiting kids...but the fact that they are one of the only consistent winners in the area.. Well that makes kids want to go there if they like football. 

This thing is worst than I thought. I cannot see how gratifying it would be to win a title with 80% of your local towns team being recent move ins.

I'm with you BP.  Had no idea it was this bad.  And agree about how gratifying it would be.  One reason I loved HS ball, and Tx College ball (virtually all the kids where from Texas).  What really sucks, so many that have lived there forever, don't get to play because of these draftees.  I understand a few kids changing for personal reasons, but I'd rather the school I follow lose than bring a Bunch in from out of town. 

I'm with you BP.  Had no idea it was this bad.  And agree about how gratifying it would be.  One reason I loved HS ball, and Tx College ball (virtually all the kids where from Texas).  What really sucks, so many that have lived there forever, don't get to play because of these draftees.  I understand a few kids changing for personal reasons, but I'd rather the school I follow lose than bring a Bunch in from out of town. 

​then my mailbox biz would go down the drain. :)