Sandra Bland/Waller County

​and she didn't have to. 

​That is debatable and I would side with a court ruling on the side of the officer for safety. 

When the officer can lawfully and at his discretion give/make 1. a warning, 2. a citation or 3. an arrest and when an officer can lawfully and at his discretion 1. leave you in a vehicle or 2. order you out of a vehicle, why would anyone want to challenge an officer? 

It was that crazy lane change that hardened criminal did that got her pulled over.  I'm sure just like me, you always use your turn signal.​

​Does it really matter why an officer lawfully stops a person? Does it make you feel better if it had been speeding or rolling through a stop sign without coming to a complete stop? 

Had she not killed herself and had gone to trial for assaulting the trooper, she might have been convicted of a 2nd degree felony and up to 20 years in prison. The lane change is a tiny crime. Assaulting an officer or resisting arrest because you don't like the officer's authority is not. 

I am never sure why there is that need to challenge authority that sides almost completely with law enforcement. Unless the officer does nothing unlawful, the person has to comply or face legal consequences. I guess some people are the ones that disrupted class or generally want to throw temper tantrums just because. 

​Does it really matter why an officer lawfully stops a person? Does it make you feel better if it had been speeding or rolling through a stop sign without coming to a complete stop? 

Had she not killed herself and had gone to trial for assaulting the trooper, she might have been convicted of a 2nd degree felony and up to 20 years in prison. The lane change is a tiny crime. Assaulting an officer or resisting arrest because you don't like the officer's authority is not. 

I am never sure why there is that need to challenge authority that sides almost completely with law enforcement. Unless the officer does nothing unlawful, the person has to comply or face legal consequences. I guess some people are the ones that disrupted class or generally want to throw temper tantrums just because. 

I guess for some people it's just difficult to say when a guy with a badge is out of line.  I'm not a police hater, but if you don't think there are issues in our police force then I would have to disagree with you.  

I guess for some people it's just difficult to say when a guy with a badge is out of line.  I'm not a police hater, but if you don't think there are issues in our police force then I would have to disagree with you.  

I agree with you that there are issues, but why is the finger always pointed at the police first when an incident arises?  If the perpetrator didn't do anything wrong, there would be no interaction with the police in the first place.  We do not need to be hasty in placing all the blame on the cop.

​Yeah, I guess we can disagree. I fail to see where "can you put the cigarette out" and "step out of your car" are out of line. 

​Yeah, I guess we can disagree. I fail to see where "can you put the cigarette out" and "step out of your car" are out of line. 

Another issue in this particular situation was once she was in jail, several opportunities were missed to identify her mental state.  Then I believe it has been determined that someone failed to follow the procedures when they didn't check on her in the correct time.  If you go back through this thread I have also stated that she was rude and argumentative at the beginning of the stop.  I don't think that is against the law though.

Another issue in this particular situation was once she was in jail, several opportunities were missed to identify her mental state.  Then I believe it has been determined that someone failed to follow the procedures when they didn't check on her in the correct time.  If you go back through this thread I have also stated that she was rude and argumentative at the beginning of the stop.  I don't think that is against the law though.

Why are we reaching to find one person to "miss" something just to blame them instead of the person that screwed up? This amazes me......my 2nd cousin was shot in Alanta (23) because he was arguing with his gf and cops were called. He came downstairs with a gun, according to witnesses pointed it at him and then "raised it towards the officers".....he was killed.....and as much as I hate that, the blame lies with him even thinking about holding a gun around cops.......

Why are we reaching to find one person to "miss" something just to blame them instead of the person that screwed up? This amazes me......my 2nd cousin was shot in Alanta (23) because he was arguing with his gf and cops were called. He came downstairs with a gun, according to witnesses pointed it at him and then "raised it towards the officers".....he was killed.....and as much as I hate that, the blame lies with him even thinking about holding a gun around cops.......

I may be way off base here, but Waller County prolly does not have a psychologist working in the jail.  The jailers are not trained to pick up on every inmates mental problems.

I used to have a completely different take on suicide.  My old thoughts were if you wanted to off yourself go ahead.  Then one Memorial Day I had to put on my dress whites and knocked on a fathers door and tell him his son was no longer with us.  It pained me to see that man play the voicemail his son left him the day before.  Well, after about 2 months, I used to stop by his house and have a coke with him, I let him know how this situation changed my outlook because I saw the other side.  Somebody somewhere could have helped this woman!  Family, the jailers, somebody! I know you said you would let your son sit in jail hippy, I respect your opinion but I couldn't do that!  Too many what ifs could happen in there.

Edited by CougarCal

​The sheriff might be somewhat culpable. I have no clue what their procedures are or where it has been determined that someone did not follow procedures. If so then get it out in the open. 

You mention an argument that almost always comes up. It is not against the law to argue/smoke/be disrespectful/etc. 

That has to be the biggest grasping at straws of all the arguments. It is true that she might not have broken a law by using profanity (actually it can be against the law but the USSC has said that not if only the officer is offended) or being argumentative but I do not recall the officer arresting her for using profanity or for arguing. Had the officer said "You are under arrest for being disrespectful"... Houston we have a problem!

Good question Hip.  Why do we look to blame someone else?  Find an excuse?   Way past my IQ, but today it's the first thing that happens in virtually every aspect of society.  It's not any one segment, but permeates throughout all.  Whatever gets a person to the point of doing something wrong/sad, there's been many in that same spot that overcomes it.  I guess that's why I'm not into, blame, excuse.  Maybe something's wrong with me.  

Edited by REBgp

These protesters at Waller County jail are a little ridiculous.  You force your way into the front door, and when the officers push back and shut the doors with some protesters inside, they want to start hollering they were captured.  You took your dumbarse in there on your own.  Some ppl are just plain fools.  Still can't understand the uproar, she killed herself.

These protesters at Waller County jail are a little ridiculous.  You force your way into the front door, and when the officers push back and shut the doors with some protesters inside, they want to start hollering they were captured.  You took your dumbarse in there on your own.  Some ppl are just plain fools.  Still can't understand the uproar, she killed herself.

its about that or the other thing that supposedly happened this weekend? 

New Black Panthers protesting at Waller County jail while carrying weapons.  IMO, they are just like the white racist groups.  A bunch of dumbarses.  Their main objective is to try to taunt someone to do something against them, so they can play the race card.  These damn protest serve no purpose other than to show how ignorant ppl are. And that goes for the white racist groups when they show up. Just plain ignorant.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts.......

City of Prairie View votes to rename street after Sandra Bland

This is the hidden content, please

I think this is misguided at best. A street should be named after someone that made a positive contribution. There is nothing positive about the Sandra Bland death. She was not a martyr. She hung herself. I don't understand why they want to do this.

I think this is misguided at best. A street should be named after someone that made a positive contribution. There is nothing positive about the Sandra Bland death. She was not a martyr. She hung herself. I don't understand why they want to do this.

For the same reason that we celebrate Columbus day