Sandra Bland/Waller County

Pulled over for not using your turn signal could land you in a jail cell?  I see policeman all the time do it!  I do it!

​I've been stopped for not using my signal light twice that I can think of; both by State troopers in La. and Texas. Each time I was stopped, I could tell they were fishing for answers to see if mine matched my rider in the car. I guess I profile a drug dealer or something :(

Her overall attitude in general led to the escalation of the situation.  When you're pulled over for something that could land you in a jail cell, it's probably best to be polite, such as putting out your cigarette so you're not blowing smoke in the officer's face while he's got his face down in your window.

​I understand your point but she had a right not to put out her cigarette. Both felt they were being disrespected. 

What higher standard? Do you know of any policy violation or if any punishment has been or will be handed out because some people have no clue how to read complained?

​Let me try and break this down for you in very simple terms and I will use this simple example for you. If you are a football player at Texas A&M named Nice Police  with a 00.5 G.P.A., and you post comments on social media with racial overtones, he or she  will be identified first as aTexas A&M football player, not by the name their momma gave them. And you already know this, man. So now, The P.A.Police (oops!) Texas A&M goes into damage control mode.

​Let me try and break this down for you in very simple terms and I will use this simple example for you. If you are a football player at Texas A&M named Nice Police  with a 00.5 G.P.A., and you post comments on social media with racial overtones, he or she  will be identified first as aTexas A&M football player, not by the name their momma gave them. And you already know this, man. So now, The P.A.Police (oops!) Texas A&M goes into damage control mode.

Only an Aggies would use two preceding 0s.  

Curious, If the cops were African American slamming ?????? Say Perry, would the same attention be given?  It will get interesting with the racial make up of PtA gov.  

Only an Aggies would use two preceding 0s.  

Curious, If the cops were African American slamming ?????? Say Perry, would the same attention be given?  It will get interesting with the racial make up of PtA gov.  

​In other words, would Black folks get a freebie if they slammed Perry. I would think so if they were only slamming him for his general politics. Now, if they are slamming Perry and using those "secret" code words pertaining to his race, then of course the Black cops would be slammed.

Fair enough, hope you are right.  

Just an observation, why do we not see uproar when Black cops treat white folk bad?  Does that mean a) white folk don't get upset?  B) doesn't happen to white folks? C) all white folks do what the police say?

Fair enough, hope you are right.

Just an observation, why do we not see uproar when Black cops treat white folk bad?  Does that mean a) white folk don't get upset?  B) doesn't happen to white folks? C) all white folks do what the police

​Nobody should be following/listening to someone who makes these types of mistakes

​I understand your point but she had a right not to put out her cigarette. Both felt they were being disrespected. 

While you're correct that she had the right to not put out the cigarette, what people keep failing to realize is that he had the right to arrest her the second he witnessed her commit that traffic infraction.  So while she did not have to put it out, if that was the last straw in the steady stream of disrespect she was throwing his way that led him to decide to arrest her instead of letting her off with a warning or a ticket, then that's her fault, not his.  If an officer isn't going to arrest someone but decides to because of their poor attitude and disrespectfulness, that's on the citizen, not the officer.  If the citizen then throws a fit and kicks the officer because they don't like the fact that he's arresting them on a legitimate charge, the new charges they earn are on them as well.  

​I've been stopped for not using my signal light twice that I can think of; both by State troopers in La. and Texas. Each time I was stopped, I could tell they were fishing for answers to see if mine matched my rider in the car. I guess I profile a drug dealer or something :(

That's happened to me just about every time I've been pulled over as well.  That's police officers doing their jobs.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I like the idea of police taking the opportunity during a traffic stop to do a little rudimentary investigative work to determine if the person they're pulling over is committing some other crime, as opposed to just sending them on their way.

That's happened to me just about every time I've been pulled over as well.  That's police officers doing their jobs.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I like the idea of police taking the opportunity during a traffic stop to do a little rudimentary investigative work to determine if the person they're pulling over is committing some other crime, as opposed to just sending them on their way.

​That happened to me in High School.....We had just picked up beer from a buddy and both made up stories of where we were going.......neither wanting to admit we were going get drunk and go to a party.

I guess I was profiled Blue........

#whiteguysgetprofiledto

Great but your simple explanation did not address the post that you quoted. 

I asked what punishnent or policy violation existed (or I will add, a loss of rights) because of a "higher standard". You went off on an explanation of how the media identifies someone first like a football player or cop. 

That has always been true. What does it have to do with a higher standard? 

​That happened to me in High School.....We had just picked up beer from a buddy and both made up stories of where we were going.......neither wanting to admit we were going get drunk and go to a party.

I guess I was profiled Blue........

#whiteguysgetprofiledto

​You and Bullets13 are the exceptions, thats all. Half the people on here never experienced this :)

Great but your simple explanation did not address the post that you quoted. 

I asked what punishnent or policy violation existed (or I will add, a loss of rights) because of a "higher standard". You went off on an explanation of how the media identifies someone first like a football player or cop. 

That has always been true. What does it have to do with a higher standard? 

We all know there is no policy at this time in P.A.  But, in Newark, NJ there is a policy. Here are some recent events similar to P.A.'s situation. Article is from NJ.com

Officials are investigating a social media exchange that appears to be between an active-duty city police lieutenant and a retired city police officer in which Ras Baraka, the city's African-American mayor, is referred to as a gorilla .

Police officials said they obtained a screen shot of the Facebook conversation, which is being investigated as a violation of the department's social media policy. The screen shot was sent to Police Director Eugene Venable Wednesday, department spokesman Sgt. Ron Glover said.

"Anything on social media which could possibly be misconstrued and reflect negatively on the department is in violation," Venable said. The policy also prohibits police from posting crime-scene images, witness statements and other confidential material.

We all know there is no policy at this time in P.A.  But, in Newark, NJ there is a policy. Here are some recent events similar to P.A.'s situation. Article is from NJ.com

Officials are investigating a social media exchange that appears to be between an active-duty city police lieutenant and a retired city police officer in which Ras Baraka, the city's African-American mayor, is referred to as a gorilla .

Police officials said they obtained a screen shot of the Facebook conversation, which is being investigated as a violation of the department's social media policy. The screen shot was sent to Police Director Eugene Venable Wednesday, department spokesman Sgt. Ron Glover said.

"Anything on social media which could possibly be misconstrued and reflect negatively on the department is in violation," Venable said. The policy also prohibits police from posting crime-scene images, witness statements and other confidential material.

First off, there are several policies in PA that deal with this and two specifically about computer usage of which one is about social media. 

Then you use an article from another state to show a similar incident. In that case it has the officer referring to the mayor as a gorilla. I think you will find no such posts that even imply race in the PA news article. Of course people are trying to be mind readers and guess what someone is thinking. I suppose next we will not only lose free speech but free thought as the thought police will move in. 

In the most recent article last night from KBMT they went back almost a year and found one officer messaging another officer on how many fights would happen after a basketball game. Racial slurs were not used and in fact race was not mentioned at all. So we have one officer asking another about the number of fights they will have and nothing more and it is racial? 

I guess if you are looking for an issue you can find it in almost any statement. 

What I like are some of the comments and conclusion drawn by Facebook commenters. One was from a person that "researched" the last four years and there were no fights. I can only assume that the research was googling for news articles. This week in PA in the time frame of 10pm-6am on Thursday-Sunday there were about 300 patrol units dispatched or rolled up on crime scenes. Many were felonies and I think it was Saturday night officers took five illegally carried handguns off the street. On Sunday afternoon in broad daylight there was a drive by shooting in a crowded apartment complex. See how many of those cases you can find on the media sites. 

Because you don't see it or read about it doesn't mean that it didn't happen but people come to that conclusion. 

People are claiming she was already dead in her mugshot.  What a joke

This is the hidden content, please

Just released video shows Bland in jail, so this theory shot.  Some group calling themselves Anonymous, asking for a day of rage in name of Bland.  That will really get something done. Smdh.  They must be a bunch of idiots, like the KKK.