Sandra Bland/Waller County

We celebrate Columbus Day because he hung himself in jail? New tobie, you can do better than that. 

Columbus commited atrocities against native american people on the islands and terrorized the spanish colonist, but yet we honor him with a holiday, Sandra Bland meant something to prairview university and they have the right to name a street after her. Columbus did evil things to others and americans choose to honor him

Sure they have the right to name a street. I haven't seen anyone contest that.

But what were any accomplishments by some of the people discussed or others?

Columbus is credited with helping to establish a permanent European settlement in North America. Was he an angel? Hardly but they honor his accomplishment. 

Andrew Jackson lost a case in front of the US Supreme Court stopping him from resettling Indians and moving them west from their traditional lands. He did it anyway (Trail of Tears) which led to thousands of deaths and said to the Court, let them come try and stop me.  Even so, he sits on the face of one of the more popular bills, the $20. He isn't celebrated for being a saint but for being the president and being the hero of the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812.

How many ways have we honored George Washington but he owned maybe hundreds of slaves?

William Travis, the commander and hero at the Alamo is reported to have fathered a child out of wedlock, been an adulterer and  abandoned his wife. Even so, we have many things named after him including schools in this area. 

Those people are celebrated not because of sainthood or being well known philanthropists. They are celebrated for a meaningful accomplishment that generally tended to help their nation, state or community. None of us are without sin and many of our local leaders might have checkered pasts. 

So Columbus is celebrated for making a discovery that led to the country as it is today. Washington led a nation in war and became the first president. Travis (maybe against orders) voluntarily sacrificed his life in order to delay the Mexican Army. 

Sandra Bland as her big accomplishment..... committed a felony and killed herself.

Columbus is credited with helping to establish a permanent European settlement in North America. Was he an angel? Hardly but they honor his accomplishment. 

Andrew Jackson lost a case in front of the US Supreme Court stopping him from resettling Indians and moving them west from their traditional lands. He did it anyway (Trail of Tears) which led to thousands of deaths and said to the Court, let them come try and stop me.  Even so, he sits on the face of one of the more popular bills, the $20. He isn't celebrated for being a saint but for being the president and being the hero of the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812.

How many ways have we honored George Washington but he owned maybe hundreds of slaves?

William Travis, the commander and hero at the Alamo is reported to have fathered a child out of wedlock, been an adulterer and  abandoned his wife. Even so, we have many things named after him including schools in this area. 

Those people are celebrated not because of sainthood or being well known philanthropists. They are celebrated for a meaningful accomplishment that generally tended to help their nation, state or community. None of us are without sin and many of our local leaders might have checkered pasts. 

So Columbus is celebrated for making a discovery that led to the country as it is today. Washington led a nation in war and became the first president. Travis (maybe against orders) voluntarily sacrificed his life in order to delay the Mexican Army. 

Sandra Bland as her big accomplishment..... committed a felony and killed herself.

or graduated from college, depends on the person of what they think a big accomplishment is. 

New Black Panthers protesting at Waller County jail while carrying weapons.  IMO, they are just like the white racist groups.  A bunch of dumbarses.  Their main objective is to try to taunt someone to do something against them, so they can play the race card.  These damn protest serve no purpose other than to show how ignorant ppl are. And that goes for the white racist groups when they show up. Just plain ignorant.

So, you're saying the white racist don't play the race card?

Interesting, Travis defied the Mexican government and defied  his commanding officer, BUT you find ways to maintain his actions as a heroic figure. Sandra Bland defied a state trooper because she was smoking a cigarette and she's a bad person. Where is the logic? 

Basically, a typical and common occurrence of minimizing her as an individual...here we go again...

I disagree dove, I don't believe anyone is minimizing her as an individual.  I just don't see why you would put her on a pedestal or name a street after her. She made some poor decisions that landed her in jail and she took her own life. 

I never said she deserves a street named after her. I was only referring to the Col. Travis comments and the comparison to Bland bucking authority. But Travis is a hero and poor Ms. Bland, well we know the story.

Where is the logic?

I guess you missed it. Travis committed valiant acts to save Texas. For that he gave his life to defend the ideals of freedom from an oppressor. How many people have earned the Medal of Honor in US military history that may have disobeyed orders? A squad is told to stay put and wait for help but one guy charges forward at the extreme risk of his own life and saves fellow comrades. We have award medals of valor for such acts, not court martial the person.  

Again, we all have committed sins or other misdeeds. There is no hero around that has not done something in the past that was questionable. Martin Luther King Jr is reported by a close advisor to have had sexual affairs. Does that diminish his accomplishments? He is celebrated for what he did that was heroic, not for being a saint. 

All of the people mentioned have committed acts of bravery or other selfless acts that are admired without making personal shortcomings an issue. Sandra Bland did what, was lawfully arrested for a felony and killed herself? 

And if you can find where I ever called her a bad person, please point it out. I have made no judgments of her whatsoever other than she was lawfully arrested. 

Interesting, Travis defied the Mexican government and defied  his commanding officer, BUT you find ways to maintain his actions as a heroic figure. Sandra Bland defied a state trooper because she was smoking a cigarette and she's a bad person. Where is the logic?

Nobody said she was a bad person.  That being said, I've accomplished as much or more in my life than she did, DIDN'T commit a felony, DIDN'T kill myself while in jail for said felony, and  nobody's naming streets after me.  When the noteworthy difference beteen two people's lives is that one is a felon that committed suicide, it seems like the other one might be more deserving of public honor.