Sandra Bland/Waller County

IMO there's enough evidence on and about Sandra Bland to say she committed suicide.  All this crap about another DA - another Med Examiner - nuther this and that, just a witch hunt. 

My thoughts on the Hotel Manager above, he may have the right, but he doesn't have any humanity.   While she committed suicide, it's still tragic and sad.  Tie this dude up & whack him with a bull whip.  Teach him some manners.  

IMO there's enough evidence on and about Sandra Bland to say she committed suicide.  All this crap about another DA - another Med Examiner - nuther this and that, just a witch hunt. 

My thoughts on the Hotel Manager above, he may have the right, but he doesn't have any humanity.   While she committed suicide, it's still tragic and sad.  Tie this dude up & whack him with a bull whip.  Teach him some manners.  

​Instead of dealing with the facts, the article has to mention someone telling a black person to "jump off a cliff" ......First, how is that relevant to the case and second, how is that by any stretch of the imagination racist.....unless arguing with a black man is automatically racist......

While you're correct that she had the right to not put out the cigarette, what people keep failing to realize is that he had the right to arrest her the second he witnessed her commit that traffic infraction.  So while she did not have to put it out, if that was the last straw in the steady stream of disrespect she was throwing his way that led him to decide to arrest her instead of letting her off with a warning or a ticket, then that's her fault, not his.  If an officer isn't going to arrest someone but decides to because of their poor attitude and disrespectfulness, that's on the citizen, not the officer.  If the citizen then throws a fit and kicks the officer because they don't like the fact that he's arresting them on a legitimate charge, the new charges they earn are on them as well.  

​Yall do realize Bland accused the officer of speeding behind her and she moved over to get out of his way, without using her signal? In other words, the officer created the initial conditions. The officer was upset because the young lady was "uppity." The cigarette thing was just too much for him. He took it too far to begin with. 

​Yall do realize Bland accused the officer of speeding behind her and she moved over to get out of his way, without using her signal? In other words, the officer created the initial conditions. The officer was upset because the young lady was "uppity." The cigarette thing was just too much for him. He took it too far to begin with. 

​his arse was mad and got angry every time she brought up taking him to court. Period. 

I've gotten outta the way doing exactly what she did no ticket issued, just happened yesterday here in PA. 

YALL ALERT!!!   YALL ALERT!!  :)

Edited by LumRaiderFan

​Dove- am I hearing you correctly?  Ms. Bland was doing nothing wrong and all of this was caused by the officer speeding behind her?  Every time I have ever been stopped by an officer he had to go faster than me in order to have me pull over and stop.  Are you saying that she was  stopped for not signaling and that the reason she did not signal is because he was speeding behind her?  If she had done nothing wrong prior to his speeding behind her, was he pursuing someone else or was he pursuing her?  If he was pursuing her, was there a reason for said pursuit prior to the failure to signal?  Or did the officer simply pick her out of the traffic and decide to stop her without reason? How does one decipher the speed of someone behind them?  Isnt it suggested that the best way for one to conduct himself or herself when stopped by the police is to do whatever the officer asks? Is "uppity" part of that recommended behavior?

​A car coming up behind you "causes" the law violation?

I assume then that if I am in the right lane of a highway and move to the left lane to pass, that car "caused" me to possibly violate the law if I didn't lawfully use my turn signal?

I can also assume then that if you are on one of those winding hill two lane highways in east Texas and you are going 15 mph under the speed limit and to pass you I finally get a break between hills but have to speed to do it and I get caught by DPS coming the other way, it is okay because you "caused" me to violate the law.

Any other excuse that you can think of to turn a lawful traffic stop and arrest into something illegal because someone else caused it?

his arse was mad and got angry every time she brought up taking him to court. Period. 

I've gotten outta the way doing exactly what she did no ticket issued, just happened yesterday here in PA. 

​And does any of that violate the law or her rights? 

​A car coming up behind you "causes" the law violation?

I assume then that if I am in the right lane of a highway and move to the left lane to pass, that car "caused" me to possibly violate the law if I didn't lawfully use my turn signal?

I can also assume then that if you are on one of those winding hill two lane highways in east Texas and you are going 15 mph under the speed limit and to pass you I finally get a break between hills but have to speed to do it and I get caught by DPS coming the other way, it is okay because you "caused" me to violate the law.

Any other excuse that you can think of to turn a lawful traffic stop and arrest into something illegal because someone else caused it?

​People "panic" or get nervous all the time when a police car is behind them, if its moving slow or fast. But I bet you knew this already. Yes, I can see her moving over. It was a two lane highway (more like a street) right outside the entrance of PV University.And no, the road is not winding nor hilly. Okay, so try again.

​tvc, what constitutional right did the officer have telling her to put out her cigarette? Be very careful with your excuse, err answer.

​Assuming you mean this as a serious question, you then are an example of what I have talked about in several threads and a short time ago, in the Sam Dubose thread. 

He needs no constitutional right (except perhaps free speech). The word "rights" is thrown out so often that I have serious doubts if very many people even have a clue what they are and I am serious. 

What the officer has is no "rights" but "authority". This are not against the law unless some government authority has written down something that says it is against the law. It can be statutory such as a state legislature passing a law or it can come down from a court of competent jurisdiction, not making law per se but ruling that an action violated someone's constitutional rights. 

The better question is, if an officer tells you to put out your cigarette, what right has he violated of yours?

An officer under both statute and case law has fairly extensive authority for safety. In fact if you want to see as close as you can routinely get from the US Supreme Court in close to a unanimous ruling, read many of the cases of officer's authority over people (over their constitutional rights) for safety purposes. You might find several 9-0, 8-1 and 7-2 votes in favor of officers. That is not true on searches and detentions but when it comes to safety, the highest court comes down heaving in favor of the police and people complying with orders. 

The entire argument of the cigarette is a moot point because while it is a smoke screen from people trying to defend Bland, it has no bearing. She was not arrested for smoking. I can tell you to recite the alphabet, sing me a song, discuss your favorite music or anything else and there is no right violated. That would happen if I tried to arrest you for those things. 

What the officer does have the authority to do under TX law and US Supreme Court rulings is to stop her for violating the law (Terry v. Ohio), order her out of the vehicle without any further cause needed (Pennsylvania v. Mimms) and make an arrest even for the simply charge of not signaling lane change (Atwater v. Lago Vista). It seems that people often overlook those points as it ends most discussions. 

This is the most simple this case can be put. The officer saw a criminal charge in his presence and stopped the person. The officer told the woman to put out her cigarette and she refused. The officer then orders her out of the vehicle by law and intends to arrest her. After being ordered out and refusing (a crime in itself in TX). The officer tries to get her to comply and she continues to refuse. He then tries to use force to get her out of the car and she resists. In fact TX law says that resisting arrest is a crime even if the arrest turns out to be illegal to begin with. The reason as mentioned previously, the place to fight that is in court, not convening your own person court of opinion on the side of the roadway. Arrests are not voluntarily by law. You might go without resistance but the arrest is not done with a person's consent. The officers tells you that you are under arrest, not asks you if you mind consenting. 

Case closed. The officer might have been rude, he might have been angry and he might have broken his company rules. None of that is illegal. 

It will fall on mostly deaf ears but I will make a suggestion that if an officer orders a person to do something while being detained, the best course of action is to comply. 

​People "panic" or get nervous all the time when a police car is behind them, if its moving slow or fast. But I bet you knew this already. Yes, I can see her moving over. It was a two lane highway (more like a street) right outside the entrance of PV University.And no, the road is not winding nor hilly. Okay, so try again.

​There simply is nothing to try again. 

The question is legally too easy. Did the officer witness a violation of the law?

I don't know why BD3 is so adamant in placing the blame on the cop.  As far as I know, no cop went into her cell and hung her.  As sad as that is, she did that to herself.  There is only one person to blame, Sandra Bland.

​When it seems fairly obvious that the argument is not going to go your way (facts), you divert attention to something that does not matter.